Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

MOR316 wrote: »
    Seen nothing on travel...

Assume NPHET want that wiped too...Which means going against EU policies...Which will be very interesting to see them justify

Well, they can delay it by up to 6 weeks if they want, which right now looks very very likely. It's funny but MM was talking about being a good European and following EU values only a few days ago.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I was optimistic earlier when the entire outcome hadn't been leaked in advance and all the headlines were about how broke we are.

That nphet letter is an outright disgrace and demonstrably lies, so easily shown to be lies when we look at the UK- cases up, hospitslisations and deaths not so much, life goes on there.

When will this be allowed to end? If not with 13 in ICU then when?

Name one single vaccine "bonus" so far?!

I'm genuinely completely staggered by what we've seen. I'm approaching the point where I think the tinfoil hatters were right.

Has the NPHET letter been made public ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Seen nothing on travel...

Assume NPHET want that wiped too...Which means going against EU policies...Which will be very interesting to see them justify

The government are more craven to the EU than NPHET. They hope for EU jobs when the gig is up. Ain't no jobs at NPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

eigrod wrote: »
    3 weeks time, it’ll be they need caution so the kids can go back to school safely. And on and on it’ll go. Depressing.

Absolute nailed on certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Necro wrote: »
    The leaks always have been utterly pathetic tbh.

Why they can't keep their mouths shut until they actually make a decision instead of kite-flying and leaking things in a drip drip fashion (which by it's very nature is going to annoy a vast amount of people) is beyond me.

This is how they ‘pay’ their selected journalists for positive spin in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

JRant wrote: »
    Well, they can delay it by up to 6 weeks if they want, which right now looks very very likely. It's funny but MM was talking about being a good European and following EU values only a few days ago.

He made sure to keep the airports open no matter how bad things were, he's a very good European.

2 years in government and he's already bankrupted us...beating FFs previous record.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why they can't keep their mouths shut until they actually make a decision instead of kite-flying and leaking things in a drip drip fashion (which by it's very nature is going to annoy a vast amount of people) is beyond me.

The kite-flying I can all almost understand, it's a quick, cheap, easy way of gauging the publics reaction without committing to anything. Lacks any kind of conviction but I suppose it's served it's purpose up until now.

What you absolutely completely cannot do is fly 500 kites simultaneously while some really struggling business, their staff and the rest of the population try to make heads-or-tails of what's in store for them over the coming weeks.

Outside of whatever fudge eventually gets announced over the coming hours, heads need to roll over the handling of communication over the last few days. It's inexcusable.

I never thought I'd see the day. Everyone in the restrictions thread in agreement. Take a bow Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

What's confidential about being vaccinated?

Patient confidentiality is a principle and applies to any medical procedure. The specific reason for choosing to exercise it is up to each person.

I have heard of people in the US who took the first shot and were scared to take the second shot after side effects. Maybe they don't want their local diner owner, or the people they go to dinner with, to know that they didn't take the second shot.

However that's just an invented scenario. The principle is to safeguard a person's privacy and you don't need a justification.

I presume NPHET will look for the full 6 weeks of grace time on EU travel cert and say indoor dining will open then (spoiler: it won't).

• Advertisement

Yes. To be treating us like this, and playing with peoples emotions after all we've been through, is just unacceptable. I really hope this is a tipping point for what we are willing to put up with. Enough is enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The government are more craven to the EU than NPHET. They hope for EU jobs when the gig is up. Ain't no jobs at NPHET

You can fly all over Europe and do stuff indoors.
    You still won't be able to have a pint indoors at home.

This could actually be what happens,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I never thought I'd see the day. Everyone in the restrictions thread in agreement. Take a bow Tony.

Regardless of anyones opinions of NPHET, the government are responsible for the decisions/communications.

It is the government that needs to answer for this absolute shambles.

This is the nail in the coffin of any meaningful summer, should government align themselves with NPHETs gloom-laden predictions.

Once September comes around and cases rise even further, there will be calls for significant restrictions coming into the winter. I think that's almost an inevitability.

Not in the rest of Europe of course, but here.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

wont open around next bank holiday and delta should spike case nicely before school opening becomes a priorty so I will guess no indoor 2021, I head a way august till next year I will be fully vaccinated but I wouldnt bother if i was staying here.
    Maybe a mass vaccine bycott by young people as a protest might change direction

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

JRant wrote: »
    And no other country in Europe has added as much to their national debt as we have so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Correct. During Covid we've overtaken Greece and Italy as the most debt per capita in Europe and one of the most in the world. Our debt per capita has increased 5 fold in the last 12 years. Staggering, with nothing to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

This is the nail in the coffin of any meaningful summer.

Once September comes around and cases rise even further, there will be calls for significant restrictions coming into the winter. I think that's almost an inevitability.

Not in the rest of Europe of course, but here.

Yep. Brace yourself for another long winter of sitting at home looking at the 4 walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What's confidential about being vaccinated?

Medical information is private personal information under Data Protection law. In fact it's classified as special category private data under GDPR and subject to extra legal requirements for processing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Are there any dissenting voices in the media at all?

The only one I can think of is Ciara Kelly and if you're depending on her, then things aren't great. Pat Kenny had a bee in his bonnet about antigen testing, but that was about it. RTE have sold their souls to ISAG. Niall Boylan is an absolute dose with not many listeners.

There just isn't any significant move against the Government on this. So on and on it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I presume NPHET will look for the full 6 weeks of grace time on EU travel cert and say indoor dining will open then (spoiler: it won't).

They better not. How many families made bookings & airlines set up schedules based on July 19th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

They're just going to de criminalise going to the airport on 5 July, surely they won't keep that going....?

Weird times

Sad times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

agoodpunt wrote: »
    wont open around next bank holiday and delta should spike case nicely before school opening becomes a priorty so I will guess no indoor 2021, I head a way august till next year I will be fully vaccinated but I wouldnt bother if i was staying here.

I can see a lot of workers trying to get out.

What tradesmen, construction professional, retail manager etc would risk another winter of forced unemployment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

It’s noticeable that Paul Reid got bitch slapped in to stopping tweeting about the positive hospitalisation figures in the last few days too. Positivity and the real picture not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

I can see a lot of workers trying to get out.

What tradesmen, construction professional, retail manager etc would risk another winter of forced unemployment?

I'm out anyways.

Just a matter of saving money...Or trying to

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

They better not. How many families made bookings & airlines set up schedules based on July 19th?

They know it costs the average restaurant 20k to restock and look how many ****s they give about that.

They weren't even originally going to tell people about this delay until Friday - 2 days before reopening with staff hired by then! - despite the radio ads announcing the delays having already been recorded (some were accidentally played on air this morning)

This govt needs to go and it needs to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

I'm out anyways.

Just a matter of saving money...Or trying to

+1

I'll never vote for Fianna Fail after this.

Michael Martin is a political goblin.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

How is it that we ended up with the worst coalition government, the worst opposition, the worst and most spineless Taoiseach in history, and a CMO who is loving his time in the limelight and is hell bent on destroying the hospitality and aviation sectors.

The stars have aligned in the worst possible way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Shouldn't be news to anyone at this stage but they don't care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Tony back in charge, deferral on hospitality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement