Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Aph2016 wrote: »
    How is it that we ended up with the worst coalition government, the worst opposition, the worst and most spineless Taoiseach in history, and a CMO who is loving his time in the limelight and is hell bent on destroying the hospitality and aviation sectors.

The stars have aligned in the worst possible way.

That's the understatement of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'll never vote for Fianna Fail after this.

Michael Martin is a political goblin.

At least one of the oppositon need to come out against this now

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Will their be a proper anti lockdown protest after this? I mean one not dominated by people looking to stir trouble. I'd gladly match in solidarity with the workers, and business owners of the tourism and hospitality industry. So much for 'living with covid'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Daniel McConnell on the tonight show saying the NPHET letter doesn't give a date for hospitality and that government are angry about the lack of clarity in the letter.

He also says the letter says, 2170 deaths could be reported across August and September which would put schools at risk in September.

I really don't know where they're getting this from

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They better not. How many families made bookings & airlines set up schedules based on July 19th?

That would be an ecumenical matter.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Daniel McConnell on the tonight show saying the NPHET letter doesn't give a date for hospitality and that government are angry about the lack of clarity in the letter.

He also says the letter says, 2170 deaths could be reported across August and September which would put schools at risk in September.

NPHET definitely don't have faith in the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Where are they pulling that from??

Also mentioning schools. Winter 21/22 is a write off at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

They have been worse,next govt will be courting a bailout with our unsubstainable debt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Opposition is no good. Need dissenters within government.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Where are they pulling that from??

No idea.

Would be highly highly unlikely given the protection of vaccines.

• Advertisement

WHAT? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Exactly as some predicted on here, using the schools card from August. This is a complete utter power grab and nothing to do with public health anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Really makes no sense. Even with Delta being more transmissible, we weren't anywhere near that last summer with absolutely no vaccinations. Most of those dying are now vaccinated, they're pulling this out of their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

ingo1984 wrote: »
    Will their be a proper anti lockdown protest after this? I mean one not dominated by people looking to stir trouble. I'd gladly match in solidarity with the workers, and business owners of the tourism and hospitality industry. So much for 'living with covid'.

The media will class any protest as being led by anti-vax & right wing and guards will heavily police it. Any protest will be played down as being a lunatic minority

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

That explains why Micheal Lehane said 'several' weeks. Clearly didn't define what they meant. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Madonkey on tonight show is on about car crash deaths and COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

eskimohunt wrote: »
    I'll never vote for Fianna Fail after this.

Michael Martin is a political goblin.

Theres exactly no better choice.

The political parties in Ireland are:

A/ Testicle Cancer
    B/ A strong kick in the nuts at random once per hour without warning for all of your life
    C/ Both of the above at once

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

2170 deaths in August & September. How is that? Thats around 35/40 a day I think. Who are the people dying?

Do these vaccines not work? I know there will be breakthrough cases but 2 thousands plus deaths is surely not right.

That explains why Micheal Lehane said 'several' weeks. Clearly didn't define what they meant. Christ.

Went onto say mood from government is to put a date on it and that they aren't exactly happy with the letter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The only way that becomes a reality is if the vaccines don't work at all.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Exactly as some predicted on here, using the schools card from August. This is a complete utter power grab and nothing to do with public health anymore.

I don't think even the most negative person on here thought they'd be going on about schools not opening this early on. It's June. They have completely lost the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Went onto say mood from government is to put a date on it and that they aren't exactly happy with the letter

Tony has rubber stamped it and buried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

JRant wrote: »
    And no other country in Europe has added as much to their national debt as we have so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

No? It's fairly clear tbh

First - whether you loath them or love them or don't give a monkeys - Nphets remit is public health nothing else

Secondly Irelands had a large public debt pre covid - and that hasn't changed

The previous poster stated that "We are now the most indebted nation in Europe.."

Not so. Currently we are no 18 in relation to the level of national debt in the EU.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274179/national-debt-in-eu-countries/

No one denies Ireland has racked up significant additional debt during Covid as has every other EU country.

In March of this year an Irish Times article forcasted that " Ireland to have highest debt per head in Europe this year"

I can find no recent confirmation of that forecast.

Do you have a link detailing "no other country in Europe has added as much to their national debt"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Fils wrote: »
    Tony has rubber stamped it and buried it.

Best thing they could do with that letter is roll it up and return it to Dr. Holohan with instructions on where to stick it.

Approx. 90% of deaths are over age 65, most of whom are actually over 80. Median age of death is 82, I believe?

If all of the most vulnerable have been double jabbed, which they have been, then the risk to the unvaccinated cohort is very small indeed.

Even then, most of the over 40s have received at least 1 jab, which DOES confer significant protection (40-60% is not 'low').

What the hell are NPHET doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

If FG pulled out of Government and triggered an election in protest they would probably mop the floor with FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Approx. 90% of deaths are over age 65, most of whom are actually over 80. Median age of death is 82, I believe?

If all of the most vulnerable have been double jabbed, which they have been, then the risk to the unvaccinated cohort is very small indeed.

Even then, most of the over 40s have received at least 1 jab, which DOES confer significant protection (40-60% is not 'low').

What the hell are NPHET doing?

They don't believe in the vaccines at all is the only take from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They don't believe in the vaccines at all is the only take from it.

Don't let that be your take from it, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

What McDonnell said on the Tonight Show made me think at what stage will the government actually disband NPHET. It's not a permanent committee and I wonder will the next few weeks signal the end of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement