Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

What McDonnell said on the Tonight Show made me think at what stage will the government actually disband NPHET. It's not a permanent committee and I wonder will the next few weeks signal the end of it.

Government have been hiding behind NPHET. Why would they suddenly disband it?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Approx. 90% of deaths are over age 65, most of whom are actually over 80. Median age of death is 82, I believe?

If all of the most vulnerable have been double jabbed, which they have been, then the risk to the unvaccinated cohort is very small indeed.

Even then, most of the over 40s have received at least 1 jab, which DOES confer significant protection (40-60% is not 'low').

What the hell are NPHET doing?

Busy counting their massive salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

gozunda wrote: »
    No? It's fairly clear tbh

First - whether you loath them or love them or don't give a monkeys - Nphets remit is public health nothing else

Secondly Irelands had a large public debt pre covid - and that hasn't changed

The previous poster stated that "We are now the most indebted nation in Europe.."

Not so. Currently we are no 18 in relation to the level of national debt in the EU.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274179/national-debt-in-eu-countries/

No one denies Ireland has racked up significant additional debt during Covid as has every other EU country.

In March of this year an Irish Times article forcasted that " Ireland to have highest debt per head in Europe this year"

I can find no recent confirmation of that forecast.

Do you have a link detailing "no other country in Europe has added as much to their national debt"?

We have the highest debt per capita.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Don't let that be your take from it, please.

Where else are they coming up with 2k+ deaths in the next 2-3 months from?? What's the explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

eskimohunt wrote: »

If they want to save their political futures, it's in their best interest.

If they go through with this, it's a long way back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Necro wrote: »
    The leaks always have been utterly pathetic tbh.

Why they can't keep their mouths shut until they actually make a decision instead of kite-flying and leaking things in a drip drip fashion (which by it's very nature is going to annoy a vast amount of people) is beyond me.

As far as I can see - most "leaks" are journos with verbal diarrhea and often have little relation to knowing anything for certain.

I think the usual formula is take a story - take a stab at what might happen based on whats likley and / or or what's happening elsewhere and call it a verified leak. Tbh - Its not like it can be refuted until an actual announcement has been made. Newspapers/ media get more sales and clicks. Wash and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

It's such a perfect arse covering setup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Where else are they coming up with 2k+ deaths in the next 2-3 months from?? What's the explanation?

Nobody knows, but I wouldn't say they consider the vaccines ineffective. It's clearly a blown up worst case scenario, sure we can see in the UK that it's mainly those without a vaccination that are being seen coming through the hospital doors.

SnuggyBear wrote: »

Is their a treat of penetration?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

MOR316 wrote: »

It has to happen eventually, my question was just general, when do they actually want to disband it. If they completely disagree with what they're saying (for the 2nd/3rd time) maybe now is the time for something less powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It's not a long way back.

It's 4 years back, because that's what we do.

FF mess up, we vote back in FG.

FG mess up, we vote back in FF.

Rinse and repeat.

SnuggyBear wrote: »

And only costs a few tens of billion of euro and let the Irish people pay for it all while you retire on a golden pension into the sunset. Actually sounds like a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

As far as I can see - most "leaks" are journos with verbal diarrhea and often have little relation to knowing anything for certain.

I think the usual formula is take a story - take a stab at what might happen based on whats likley and / or or what's happening elsewhere and call it a verified leak. Tbh - Its not like it can be refuted until an actual announcement has been made. Newspapers/ media get more sales and clicks. Wash and repeat.

The leaks after NPHET have met and passed their advice onto the Gov are generally spot on, what the Gov do with that advice can be different as it was in the run up to Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Seen tonight With the level of vaccines in wales (with indoor dining open for weeks) deaths are now roughly 1 death in every 958 cases yet nphet are predicting what, 35/40 deaths per day tonight if we ease restrictions!!

Is there no one to question this, yes I know Wales have more vaccinated but the levels and numbers still aren’t stacking up, not even close!

What’s going on?

Rinse and repeat.

Yeah true...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

No? It's fairly clear tbh

First - whether you loath them or love them or don't give a monkeys - Nphets remit is public health nothing else

Secondly Irelands had a large public debt pre covid - and that hasn't changed

The previous poster stated that "We are now the most indebted nation in Europe.."

Not so. Currently we are no 18 in relation to the level of national debt in the EU.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274179/national-debt-in-eu-countries/

No one denies Ireland has racked up significant additional debt during Covid as has every other EU country.

In March of this year an Irish Times article forcasted that " Ireland to have highest debt per head in Europe this year"

I can find no recent confirmation of that forecast.

Do you have a link detailing "no other country in Europe has added as much to their national debt"?
    Per head we are the most indebted.

Nobody knows, but I wouldn't say they consider the vaccines ineffective. It's clearly a blown up worst case scenario, sure we can see in the UK that it's mainly those without a vaccination that are being seen coming through the hospital doors.

2,200 deaths across August and September, is NPHETs worst case scenario.

That's 1,100 deaths across August, let's say.

That would be the equivalent of 14,300 deaths in the UK in August -- or 476 deaths per day. Half of the peak of when there were no vaccines.

Today, the UK had 3 COVID-19-related deaths and 23,000 new cases -- with the Indian variant spreading wildly over the past couple of weeks.

NPHET need a drink, in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Went onto say mood from government is to put a date on it and that they aren't exactly happy with the letter

Maybe the government should put a date on it. Would be a novel idea for the government to actually commit to something.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Ok the vaccines work. Who are the 2k people dying in the next 3 months in their view? Unvaxxed young people? Where's the evidence for this?

Rinse and repeat.

Sinn Fein will do a once off interruption on that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Very worrying times.
    Getting everything that we've voted for I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Where are the 2000 deaths actually coming from? What demographic? I'm actually baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

tommybrees wrote: »
    Very worrying times.
    Getting everything that we've voted for I'm afraid.

No one voted for the poxbottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ingo1984 wrote: »
    We have the highest debt per capita.

Bar the Irish Times article in March forecasting that (in relation to covid) " Ireland to have highest debt per head in Europe this year"

I can find no recent confirmation of that claim

Do you have a link showing that "We have the highest debt per capita" (this year)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Their models are suggesting we could have record numbers of deaths in Aug & Sept. There is no possible way that could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fils wrote: »
    Sinn Fein will do a once off interruption on that now.

The zero covid crowd? How do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

They know politically their career is dead already. Their cushy pensions softens the blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

A few months ago someone posted up the emails of all the TDs. Is that still available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sp00k

Seeing all this news now after the Euro game. 2k deaths? Are they modelling the black plague? How can anyone with 2 brain cells follow this nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement