Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Higgins is bang on the money there Stephen. Those projections are irresponsible at best. I mean, with nearly 70% of adults with at least one dose, and schools pretty much done now till the end of August, where are these transmission chains going to materialize from?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Necro wrote: »
    But... like...

It will be much much closer to 80% when they're predicting these deaths for, and probably over 50% fully vaxxed

I honestly think they've gone off the deep end with this, it's absolutely batsh1t mental

I've haven't been a fan of NPHET over the last year by any means, but before the worst they could be accused of was excessive, extreme caution. Now they're no better than the covid-deniers and anti-vaxxers. This is Gerry Killeen or Anthony Staines level of craziness.* Their modelling is as if vaccines didn't exist and 4m doses hadn't been given out. It's like saying the vaccines don't work.

*I would have included Sam McConkey here but bizarrely he's actually been a voice of reason recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Avon8

There's been a lot of nights now of disbelief and outrage in the past 18 months but this one tops the rest quite comfortably. I can't believe I ever fooled myself into thinking we'd be allowed back to normality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Denmark have something like this and it supposedly runs well.

It's a digital app on your phone which shows whether you have had a negative test result within the last 72 hours, a certificate of vaccination or proof of a previous infection two to 12 weeks earlier.

Lot of people get tested every 3 days over there so they can go about their business pretty much as normal.

It apparently works well but relies heavily on antigen testing which is a bold concept here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

VG31 wrote: »
    I've haven't been a fan of NPHET over the last year by any means, but before the worst they could be accused of was excessive, extreme caution. Now they're no better than the covid-deniers and anti-vaxxers. This is Gerry Killeen or Anthony Staines level of craziness.* Their modelling is as if vaccines didn't exist and 4m doses hadn't been given out. It's like saying the vaccines don't work.

*I would have included Sam McConkey here but bizarrely he's actually been a voice of reason recently!

I think they just plan to count everybody who dies as a covid death from now on; their modeling has been completely inaccurate before but this is bat**** crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Last winter when it was pretty grim we came nowhere near having 700k cases in any 3 month period. Yet this is now their worst case scenario in the summer of nearly 8,000 cases PER DAY with millions of vaccine dished out and much more to come. Something isn't right here. Their modelling is a load of bunk or they are grossly incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

I feel dirty when I agree with David and McGurk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Denmark have something like this and it supposedly runs well.

It's a digital app on your phone which shows whether you have had a negative test result within the last 72 hours, a certificate of vaccination or proof of a previous infection two to 12 weeks earlier.

Lot of people get tested every 3 days over there so they can go about their business pretty much as normal.

They also embrace antigen tests so this system works but Tony and NPHET say no to those so non runner here.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Interesting peice about Israel in the last 24 hours it seems the delta can infect after 2 doses AZ or pfizer and can be aymptomatic seems more prevalent in younger cohort, worth a read.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/coronavirus-delta-variant-slams-shut-the-reopening-of-israel-to-world/news-story/f02e7b028a898acb2b72db95e56a2385

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm half hoping this is all a silly ploy to try and make Micheal Martin look strong by ignoring them.

They usually have everything leaked to the media at this stage before telling us small folk.

I've never agreed with David Quinn on anything.

On this, he is 100% unquestionably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

That David Quinn tweet really rings it home tbh. It’s actually completely unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I also think this is the first time in the whole pandemic everyone has been in agreement btw

I also think this is the first time in the whole pandemic everyone has been in agreement btw

If this is so abundantly clear, which it is -- will Fianna Fail really decide to opt with NPHET advice rather than what common sense and the general population want?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

NPHET think that if go for an indoor pint, we'll be out there licking door handles and having thousand strong orgies. Even then their numbers wouldn't add up. It's ****ing bonkers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

*Checks reported posts*

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I’m genuinely flabbergasted by this tonight. Do they really take the Irish public for being this stupid & naive? This is a whole new level of arrogance. As soon as that letter was published, NPHET should have immediately been relieved of their duties. They’re clearly out of touch with reality. I’d love to see the reaction to this from other EU states, I’m sure they’re curled up laughing at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

agoodpunt wrote: »
    Interesting peice about Israel in the last 24 hours it seems the delta can infect after 2 doses AZ or pfizer and can be aymptomatic seems more prevalent in younger cohort, worth a read.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/coronavirus-delta-variant-slams-shut-the-reopening-of-israel-to-world/news-story/f02e7b028a898acb2b72db95e56a2385

Paywall - can you post please?

Sounds pretty okay though if it's the younger cohort and largely asymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Given that there is now a broad agreement that the boffins in NPHET are raving conspiracy theorists...

What else might they have got wrong and tainted along the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Jizique wrote: »
    I feel dirty when I agree with David and McGurk

I wouldn't agree with McGuirk at all on social issues but on covid he's usually spot on.

David Higgins is a definitely a voice a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

agoodpunt wrote: »

Can't read that as it's behind a paywall, but the Washington Post says this:
    Officials decided Sunday night that a spike in positive cases did not warrant a return to lockdown or significant restrictions other than reinstating an indoor mask mandate that had dropped just two weeks ago.

“This past week, there has been a rise in the number of people testing positive in Israel, but there hasn’t been a complementary rise in the number of people hospitalized,” Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said. “But we need to know, the delta variant does infect vaccinated people.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/israel-delta-vaccine-shield-holding/2021/06/28/1ba865b2-d7e1-11eb-8c87-ad6f27918c78_story.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=wp_world-middle-east

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I think tonight has to be most definitely NPHET’s “jump the shark moment!”

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

RobitTV wrote: »
    Where are the legal challenges?

It's time for the hospitality industry to get together and prepare for serious legal action. This is now serious for them.

This is a make or break moment.

They already have. Taking discrimination case based on hotels being able to serve indoors but pubs and restaurants can't. Passed judicial review last Monday so is proceeding to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

b0nk1e wrote: »
    I don't know if it's deliberate - I certainly hope it's not - but all NPHET have done tonight is to shatter public confidence in the vaccination programme.

They're saying vaccinations aren't worth a damn and won't save lives.

How is this going to persuade young people - the exact cohort of society we need to persuade to immunise themselves against a disease which will barely affect them, for the wider benefit of society - to get vaccinated?

Vaccines work. They have saved lives and they will save more lives in the weeks and months to come.

NPHET is no longer fit for purpose. They should be politely thanked for their efforts (while noting that not a single member of NPHET has lost a brass cent in pay while demanding a generation of young people and small businessmen give up their livelihoods) and disbanded.

Secondly - there are massive political implications here. The Dublin Bay South by-election is going to be held on Thursday week, just three days after the Government will have reneged on their reopening date despite fewer than twenty people being seriously ill with this virus.

The likelihood is that there will be a backlash against the Government as a result. The loss of this safe seat will lead to serious questions within Fine Gael about Leo Varadkar's leadership, coming as it does after he led Fine Gael to a catastrophic general election result, losing a quarter of all their seats in the Dáil.

The Tánaiste will likely be digesting this latest demand from NPHET and their conclusion that Ireland is the only country in Europe where the Indian variant requires a continued ban on the operation of many businesses - and recalling that the three-week lockdown in December is now entering its eighth month.

I suspect the only way that there will not be a massive public backlash to this is if the Government announce a concrete, pre-August, date for the lifting of all restrictions, and that NPHET will be disbanded on that date.

Interesting take.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

NPHET think that if go for an indoor pint, we'll be out there licking door handles and having thousand strong orgies. Even then their numbers wouldn't add up. It's ****ing bonkers.

Don’t forget that indoor pints are being legally served already!!!

And has it caused any issues?

Why aren’t the media focusing on that?

Oh yeah, bought off....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

VG31 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with McGuirk at all on social issues but on covid he's usually spot on.

David Higgins is a definitely a voice a reason.

Quinn not Higgins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

are they talking about a heat wave in aug/sept?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement