Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

It’s time for people to reclaim their lives.the pubs/restaurants need to defy nphet and open next Monday full stop.and the public willing to live our lives normally and peacefully have to support them.enough is enough Tony houlihan .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

the kelt wrote: »
    I think tonight has to be most definitely NPHET’s “jump the shark moment!”

If Holohan doesn't go over this, or if at the VERY least NPHET aren't put back into their box then it's hard to see how FF or FG can have any credibility here.

Tony/NPHET have thrown their toys out of the pram tonight with projections NO ONE seems to believe, and effectively said that the vaccination program is pointless (which WILL have knock-on effects for those who are hesitant or outright against them).

If Micheal (or more likely Leo and elements within FF making demands in the background) doesn't act decisively here to restore order and Government authority we could be seeing an election very soon I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Government should let stuff open as planned and if case numbers/hospitalizations/deaths begin to rise as rapidly as Nphet are suggesting then close them again.

Nphet clearly live in cuckoo land a lot of people aren't bothering with restrictions anymore and case numbers are stable , theres very few people in hospital , little or no deaths , nearly 4 million vaccines administered. The mind boggles with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Hall not Higgins

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I thought I couldn't be shocked by NPHET but genuinely dumbfounded, angry, upset and drained by this ****e. 700k,700k! The hell are they on about. This is now bath**** crazy. I really hope bars and restaurants band together an just open. Would only work if they all did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

I thought I couldn't be shocked by NPHET but genuinely dumbfounded, angry, upset and drained by this ****e. 700k,700k! The hell are they on about. This is now bath**** crazy. I really hope bars and restaurants band together an just open. Would only work if they all did it.

Restaurants in Italy did that late last year I think and the government had to give in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Don’t forget that indoor pints are being legally served already!!!

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

accensi0n wrote: »
    Huh?

Hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Degag wrote: »
    Thinking optimistically....

Government will have to be aware that if they pull the plug on 5th July, the outrage will probably be the worst yet and will likely lose alot of what support they have left.

They might not go with the nuclear option because of this.

This is a good point.
    I think the government have little choice but to go against Tony on this.
    Vaccinations will collapse, Dublin airport will be overrun and businesses will close left right and centre of they accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

VG31 wrote: »
    :confused:

Sorry - should have said Quinn not Higgins. The poster said they felt dirty agreeing with David (Quinn).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Everyone needs to email every TD in your area from every party. Their seats are all they care about.

A protest needs to be organised for this Saturday. I really think 10s of thousands would attend one in Dublin at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ionnn

These ridiculous projections from NPHET would be funny if it wasn't for their devastating impact on the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

One of the worst parts of all of this is all the opposition backing NPHET at every turn no matter what. 0 room for nuance or discussion, what Tony says goes for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Last winter when it was pretty grim we came nowhere near having 700k cases in any 3 month period. Yet this is now their worst case scenario in the summer of nearly 8,000 cases PER DAY with millions of vaccine dished out and much more to come. Something isn't right here. Their modelling is a load of bunk or they are grossly incompetent.

Im confused by the 700k number too as it just seems insane. But Im also wondering did they change the modeling to reflect that info that came out of Australia about the Delta variant being extremely transmissible, as in 10 or 15 seconds contact with someone and you could be infected.

Thats the only way I can think they are coming out with this 700k figure, they think if we open up at the same time there is a much more transmissible variant then it will rage through society.

Im not arguing for it, just speculating maybe that is their thinking and they changed their modelling to suit that scenario

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    If Holohan doesn't go over this, or if at the VERY least NPHET aren't put back into their box then it's hard to see how FF or FG can have any credibility here.

Tony/NPHET have thrown their toys out of the pram tonight with projections NO ONE seems to believe, and effectively said that the vaccination program is pointless (which WILL have knock-on effects for those who are hesitant or outright against them).

If Micheal (or more likely Leo and elements within FF making demands in the background) doesn't act decisively here to restore order and Government authority we could be seeing an election very soon I reckon.

I wish you were right. I can't see any discord among the Irish people or within Leinster House being great enough to bring about change :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The modelling for the Delta variant in Ireland shows shocking rises in the worst-case model, which one informant described as “grim and alarming” and another said would be “like an invasion.”

OK, there's definitely trolling going on at this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

How would this situation going to trigger an election?If there is as strong public opposition to the NPHET line as youn claim, wouldn't that be an incentive to push the election out as far as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Suspect they will 'unlock' as planned, and receive great claps on the back and cheers from the proles.

One or other of the indistinguishable fat red faced cockwombles will then take over until the original forgettable red faced master cockwomble comes back into his position of being a tw*t.

Prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Government should let stuff open as planned and if case numbers/hospitalizations/deaths begin to rise as rapidly as Nphet are suggesting then close them again.

Nphet clearly live in cuckoo land a lot of people aren't bothering with restrictions anymore and case numbers are stable , theres very few people in hospital , little or no deaths , nearly 4 million vaccines administered. The mind boggles with them.

We need to stay under severe restrictions so we don't have to go back to severe restrictions.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Chivito550 wrote: »
    The modelling for the Delta variant in Ireland shows shocking rises in the worst-case model, which one informant described as “grim and alarming” and another said would be “like an invasion.”

OK, there's definitely trolling going on at this point!

There's definitely more to this.
    NPHET presented a range of potential scenarios to Government - the most severe of which predicted hundreds of thousands of cases

I doubt it's a coincidence that the leaked details only reference the worst case scenario and none of the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Graham wrote: »

I doubt it's a coincidence that the leaked details only reference the worst case scenario and none of the others.

the best case scenario was also reported

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

the best case scenario was also reported

Can I ask where? I'm only finding references to the worst case.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Your posts tonight have been refreshing and honest.

Perhaps as it comes to the leaks, you might offer up an opinion as to your doubts? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Can I ask where? I'm only finding references to the worst case.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/grim-covid-projections-put-opening-of-indoor-hospitality-in-serious-doubt-1.4606220
    The worst-case scenario would potentially see almost 700,000 cases of the virus over July, August and September, with as many as 2,170 deaths as the Delta variant becomes dominant. The most optimistic projection would see 81,000 cases and 165 deaths.

There is an expectation that Nphet will seek a delay of several weeks in reopening indoor hospitality.

The Irish Times understands the modelling estimates almost 13,000 hospital admissions over the three months, and more than 1,600 people in intensive care units (ICU) should the most pessimistic scenario play out. One source said this would see hospitals “overrun”.

The most benign scenario would see just over 1,500 admissions and 195 people in ICUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That NPHET letter has very strong whiffs of ISAG level craziness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

zackory wrote: »
    So it looks like another 2 weeks but there won't be another "review" NPHET / media / leak / circus before that, it will be a confirmed date.

So today is Holohans last day to make himself feel relevant and important and we are done with him.

Finally.

Just catching up, what did I miss...?

Just catching up, what did I miss...?

Holohan is claiming there will be 700,000 infections and 2000 deaths before September if the Government doesn't renege on the reopening date for hospitality, and has demanded he be allowed to continue banning all indoor hospitality with no time limit on his ban.

The shark couldn't have been jumped more if it spent its evenings wandering along Sheriff Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Decided to do a catch up of the thread before bed, I was not expecting 30 new pages.

After NPHETs absolutely insane projections, I had a look back at last summer, between July and September. On the 23rd July, there were 9 reported deaths. The highest number from July to September. When we had 0 vaccines and very little immunity. Now, somehow, this year when all the vulnerable are vaccinated and presumably most other age groups seen as I know people in their 20s fully vaccinated, there’ll be over 2000 deaths?? There was less restrictions last summer ffs without a vaccine ffs!

I live in England and looking back at home now I don’t know what the **** is going on. Ireland has well and truly lost the plot.

My partner flew home for a week last week, she flew back from Dublin last night and got questioned by a guard in the airport about why she was here, where she was going and why she was going. She said he talked to her and everyone else like a piece of ****. This is the country that’s supposedly opening to EU travel in 3 weeks time and they’re still having guards interrogate people at the airports? I somehow doubt that.

The government need to grow a set and put Tony Holohan and NPHET back in their box. If it’s not the right time now to open up, it’ll never be the right time. I would genuinely be amazed if there’s no restrictions come winter and people were getting dogs abuse for saying that in here recently when it’s the most likely scenario IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Well it would appear some sort of stand was taken at the sub committee level with regards to the projections

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1409669036342865921?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

One would suspect that they've bought themselves 2 weeks to see how things play out.

Government know and have said previously the idea of domestic vaccine passport was unworkable

Anyway time for some sleep I think, this is only the beginning of another row probably

https://twitter.com/christinafinn8/status/1409669752646103049?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement