Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

By far the most dangerous virus in Ireland these days is NPHET

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Your posts tonight have been refreshing and honest.

I assume by 'honest' you mean there might now be things we agree upon.
    Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Perhaps as it comes to the leaks, you might offer up an opinion as to your doubts? Why?

If you're asking why I'm pi**ed off;

Messaging from government should have been absolutely crystal clear over the last few days. It should have gone something like this:
    No decision has been made yet.

No decision can or will be made until government has received and reviewed the recommendations from NPHET and considered those recommendations alongside the wider impact on the Irish economy and the Irish people.

There should have been no hints or reading-between-the-lines suggestions from government over the last few days.

There should have been no leaks in advance of a decision being announced.

Tonights fiasco demonstrates clearly why. Media have jumped on the worst case scenario as it makes for great headlines/clickbait. Businesses/employees all over the country are bound to be upset/bewildered/frustrated trying to work out where they stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RoryMac wrote: »
    The leaks after NPHET have met and passed their advice onto the Gov are generally spot on, what the Gov do with that advice can be different as it was in the run up to Christmas

The so called "leaks" are frequently little more than journalistic stabs at trying to make out they know more than they do. The fact that they sometimes get it right is more down to a limited range of likley outcomes and / or or the old adage that a stopped clock is right at least twice a day.

That's just depressing. If they delay now at very low hospital numbers, nearly all the most vunerable vaccinated, and the height of summer, then we can write off this year. Why have we been flattening the curve, protecting the elderly etc etc for all this time. Too many excuses available to them coming into the winter. We'll not get back to normal for a long time more with these people controlling our lives. Sick of the whole system. Fuc'ing joke. Done with it

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

I'm just fcuking sickened by this tonight. I've turned 26 and I've spent the last year and bit bitter and fcuking angry at the way we as a country have been treated and led by these so called leaders, spinless and gormless tw@ts more like. Terrified of making a firm decision, 'hold off on this', 'worried on that', 'abundance of caution'. Make me puke at this stage. I'm gonna be remembering all this bollox for years, decades even, I can't wait to recall all this feckin ****e 20 years from now, some laugh we'l have at this utter lunacy.

My own personal relationship with this country, the state I pay taxes to, the laws I follow, the nation I belong to, which before 2020 had never really been a thing in my mind, has gone from mild level of passive acceptance to full on rage and vitriol, and there's a part of me that hates that. I love so much about the country I call home, it's people and culture are great. Yet, I can't stand this government and political class, I despise our national media and all it's fakeness and fear mongering feeding off terrifying it's audience to pump cheap ratings for their shyte programming, and it seems there just is a very large portion of Ireland's population who have a total 'f%ck you I've got my lot.' complex. It's the same with housing, the same with employment, insurance, drug laws etc People uder 40s in Ireland are f@cking screwed and its been entirely predictable and as depressing as Ireland always delivers. We can't complain unfortnately. people under 30 especially don't vote enough in pure numbers to help any long term change so it's just an older class of voters electing older class invested TDs, quelle surprise you get this level of caution, fear, indecisiveness and total fcuking negligence towards younger people in this nation. We don't vote for em in large enough numbers, so they know they don't need us I guess. Some fcuking social contract.

And lastly, for NPHET. I've had an overtly negative view of them the last year as overly zealus, cautious and utterly blinkered on 1 issue throughout covid, but fcuk me, tonight takes the proverbial. My, at times doubted by me , opinion of them as the worst ever case of a pushy bureaucrat gone waaaaay overboard in authority and self importance......... may actually be true afterall. What a fcuking shame that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

It was a Johnny logan/ shay healy eurovision song winner, but now its more relevant to Tony's advice on reopening (to be factual, not reopening, ever)
    STAY In LOCKDOWN IN CASE THE DELTA VARIENT EXPLODES) Honestly, I've had enough, I give up.
    I actually, genuinely, not being melodramatic, wish I was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should offer unrestricted flights to Switzerland for people unwilling to think the next 2 years are critical.

I'll probably get banned for this post, that doesn't bother me at all, I genuinely can't take this anymore

corkonion wrote: »
    It was a Johnny logan/ shay healy eurovision song winner, but now its more relevant to Tony's advice on reopening (to be factual, not reopening, ever)
    STAY I LOCKDOWN IN CASE THE DELTA VARIENT EXPLODES) Honestly, I've had enough, I give up.
    I actually, genuinely, not being melodramatic, wish I was dead.

It's hard to keep going and I have felt very low because of the life we now have. Normality like we knew it will return but prepare yourself mentally for it to take a while. In the mean time try and find some happiness in what you do have.

I'll probably get banned for this post, that doesn't bother me at all, I genuinely can't take this anymore

You shouldn't get banned but the copy and pasted "here are some helpful numbers" may replace your op.

• Advertisement

You shouldn't get banned but the copy and pasted "here are some helpful numbers" may replace your op.

Honestly, the way I feel right now, is far beyond a helpline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Many thanks to Mr Tony for keeping the people of Ireland safe during these turbulent times :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well it would appear some sort of stand was taken at the sub committee level with regards to the projections

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1409669036342865921?s=19

I think that last bit needs to put in neon if the media slant about the latest leaks is anything to go by
    NPHET modelling said to be very grim on the spread of Delta. But it is just modelling and not a guaranteed outcome

That and as with any modelling - there's a worst case scenario and a best case scenario. Bizarrely its always the worst case scenario where the needle seems to get stuck on.

Someone above quotes the IT detailing that for July, August, September"
    The Irish Times understands the modelling estimates almost 13,000 hospital admissions over the three months, and more than 1,600 people in intensive care units (ICU) should the most pessimistic scenario play out.

Vs

The most benign scenario would see just over 1,500 admissions and 195 people in ICUs.

Taking the "benign scenario" thats 500 hundred people who might be admitted to hospital over an entire month and just 65 in ICUs for the same period .

Working out our daily totals atm - that's not difference to the present figures

I feel the same, but I'm not going to waffle on about how to make it better. We need a mass movement to put a stop to it all, and take our lives back to normal. We really have to get on with living. Life is short, we've sacrificed enough. Past sick of it...

Edit: If you need to talk corkonion, hit me up on pm.

Beirut wrote: »
    I feel the same, but I'm not going to waffle on about how to make it better. We need a mass movement to put a stop to it all, and take our lives back to normal. We got to get on with living. Life is short, we've sacrificed enough.

Sign me up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Why is Europe not doing the same? Truly bizarre if we are on our own doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I was all enthusiasm and optimism earlier on and planning for getting together with friends I haven't seen in ages after my 2nd vaccine happens in a few weeks. Opened my phone to tweets and alerts about this.

Absolute downer to put it mildly. I am total wreck after the last year+. I just had my birthday for the second time in quasi-lockdown, basically on my own. I was recently single before it kicked off and I'm still single now, as I can't realistically meet anyone and I got so stressed/depressed last year I ended up with actual physical symptoms like damaged teeth from just sheer stress. Seems the insomnia's back too.

If this is where we're going, I am emigrating. I'll take my chances somewhere on the continent with less risk averse polices. Can't be that hard to find a job and I speak a few languages.

It just feels like Groundhog Day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Yeah the 19 of July stood out to me. It was one of the government produced ads.

July the 19. Why does that strike me as important? Would that be the day the lockdown ended?

Of course, they can't be that specific about the lockdown...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭newhouse87

WTF weren't they working on this fully vaccinated bull**** with months so pubs could open at least when they said. Micheal Martin is a joke, id say grow a pair but for a guy like him its not possible. Tony holohan just wants people to forget all about his cervical check scandal's and keep this **** ongoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

newhouse87 wrote: »
    WTF weren't they working on this fully vaccinated bull**** with months so pubs could open at least when they said. Micheal Martin is a joke, id say grow a pair but for a guy like him its not possible. Tony holohan just wants people to forget all about his cervical check scandal's and keep this **** ongoing.

Your not supposed to bring up that thing that the T was involved in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

It’s very, very strange. If NPHET thought vaccine passports were a good idea they would surely have reccombded them a couple of months ago? Like other countries in Europe. How haven’t they made this recommendation sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I see they've started trotting out the old "reopening of schools will be in jeopardy" now (as the so called tinfoil hatters predicted they would).

So passively aggressively threatening families that they will cancel childrens education if anyone presses them for proof on what age cohorts these "2000 deaths in 2 months" will be seen in.

I'm genuinely totally and utterly in shock here this morning. Not a single voice in government calling this bull**** out or asking why the models only project death on an unprecedented scale for pubs reopening but not for cinemas or crappy alcohol free events in the iveagh Gardens.

Is Tony's anti alcohol agenda not plain as day to the world now? Why is there not a single TD saying stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I see they've started trotting out the old "reopening of schools will be in jeopardy" now (as the so called tinfoil hatters predicted they would).

So passively aggressively threatening families that they will cancel childrens education if anyone presses them for proof on what age cohorts these "2000 deaths in 2 months" will be seen in.

I'm genuinely totally and utterly in shock here this morning. Not a single voice in government calling this bull**** out or asking why the models only project death on an unprecedented scale for pubs reopening but not for cinemas or crappy alcohol free events in the iveagh Gardens.

Is Tony's anti alcohol agenda not plain as day to the world now? Why is there not a single TD saying stop?

There is a FF one a few pages ago.

Need more to stand up and ideally the opposition. It's too easy for the government to rollover right now. Its pathetic

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is there a mailing list that goes to all TD’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Apologies I’m sure this has been discussed before but I’m genuinely trying to weigh up the Actual benefits of getting this vaccine, I’m young fit and healthy. If I can still catch and spread covid after I have been vaccinated, what is the benefit?

I’m not being sarcastic here, I’m trying to decide weather or not I want it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Well it would appear some sort of stand was taken at the sub committee level with regards to the projections

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1409669036342865921?s=19

This is deeply unfair to young people

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

pc7 wrote: »
    Is there a mailing list that goes to all TD’s?

Ive one uploaded here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117491157&postcount=2019

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Unsurprisingly Shane Coleman on NT is backing the notion that the government can't go against NPHET's "stark" warning.

He does say that given the vaccination programme though the NPHET will need to justify the analysis.... Like that's going to happen! :rolleyes:

Most of the posters here knew that the next stage was going to be delayed after the noises over the last week or so, but the level of hysterical nonsense that our supposed expert advisory body have stooped to this time has caught everyone out.

It's absolutely ridiculous that it's being accepted at face value and yet again it's businesses and the general public who lose out. No doubt this is only the first step to recommending the reimposition of harsher restrictions in the coming weeks as we get closer to August and the reopening of schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Northern Ireland pubs and restaurants have been open since late May? Has there been an increase in deaths and serious illness in the last month there? Let’s just keep this simple now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Apologies I’m sure this has been discussed before but I’m genuinely trying to weigh up the Actual benefits of getting this vaccine, I’m young fit and healthy. If I can still catch and spread covid after I have been vaccinated, what is the benefit?

I’m not being sarcastic here, I’m trying to decide weather or not I want it.

Thanks

I'm 45 and asked the same question last night as there's certainly no benefit to it in Ireland. Even fully vaccinated you're still subject to the same level of restrictions and rules as those who aren't.

About the only benefit will be the option to get out of this country in the next few weeks from what I gather.

That said, I would recommend you get it anyway - if only to save yourself the hassle when things do finally start to relax here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement