Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Do nphet pull their modelling out of Tonys hole?

700k infections - have they not looked?
    We havent had 700k infections in a year and a half of this pandemic. Where the **** do they get their figures?

Its all a bit Sam McConkey with his 120k deaths at the start of this.....the amount of bull**** coming from Nphet is sheer madness.

Said it earlier in this thread but now every pilot, hotelier, restaurant owner, travel agent, the RAI and the Vintners should get every member up to Dublin on Friday and lock the place down until the government grow a pair and open up. But it needs to be a massive protest,not a few hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Apologies I’m sure this has been discussed before but I’m genuinely trying to weigh up the Actual benefits of getting this vaccine, I’m young fit and healthy. If I can still catch and spread covid after I have been vaccinated, what is the benefit?

I’m not being sarcastic here, I’m trying to decide weather or not I want it.

Thanks

Well, other than not being able to tell the difference between weather and whether?....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I see they've started trotting out the old "reopening of schools will be in jeopardy" now (as the so called tinfoil hatters predicted they would).

So passively aggressively threatening families that they will cancel childrens education if anyone presses them for proof on what age cohorts these "2000 deaths in 2 months" will be seen in.

I'm genuinely totally and utterly in shock here this morning. Not a single voice in government calling this bull**** out or asking why the models only project death on an unprecedented scale for pubs reopening but not for cinemas or crappy alcohol free events in the iveagh Gardens.

Is Tony's anti alcohol agenda not plain as day to the world now? Why is there not a single TD saying stop?
    Apart from the huge, somewhat alarming models, it will be of more concern if we don't get an actual date. The period of projection also seems to hint that NPHET will recommend it being extended again.
    The Cabinet meeting hasn't happened yet so no decisions have been made. The vaccinated only approach indoors is about the only wriggle room the government seems to have as they are not ready to thank NPHET for their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Hellrazer wrote: »

We havent had 700k infections in a year and a half of this pandemic. Where the **** do they get their figures?

Its all a bit Sam McConkey with his 120k deaths at the start of this.....the amount of bull**** coming from Nphet is sheer madness.

Said it earlier in this thread but now every pilot, hotelier, restaurant owner, travel agent, the RAI and the Vintners should get every member up to Dublin on Friday and lock the place down until the government grow a pair and open up. But it needs to be a massive protest,not a few hundred.

At least McConkey has revised his stance as time goes on. Tony is still stuck in March 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

At least McConkey has revised his stance as time goes on. Tony is still stuck in March 2020.

True - even he said yesterday we should open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You know how out of touch NPHET are when you find yourself agreeing with McConkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Is it because our health service is so bad?

Is that the reason for all this caution?

It really must be absolutely chronic in comparison to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

We have a free health service, try out USA for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Those restaurants and indoor pubs should just open on the 5th. It's beyond crazy now. The "emergency" is long over now and with it the draconian laws should be gone as well. 13 people in ICU and about the same again in hospital with this thing and they think they can keep the country under severe restrictions indefinitely.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Yes and his reasoning is if you are not one hundred percent going for zero-covid then you have to start living with it.

Fair play to him - I’ve no time for zero-covid strategy and the idea should have been binned long ago, but at least he recognises that this half-ar*ed watered-down zero-covid is completely pointless except as a thought experiment. What an utter failure of a government we’ve been landed with.

At least those living through the misery Ireland was under the chokehold of the church didn’t have easy access to the World outside. We get to watch helplessly as other governments make an effort to restore normal freedoms to their citizens.

20silkcut wrote: »
    Is it because our health service is so bad?

Is that the reason for all this caution?

It must be absolutely chronic in comparison to other countries.

There's several factors but ultimately it comes down to two..

- the weakest Taoiseach we've had yet being led by an unelected civil servant with an ego problem

- a culture of unaccountability and no consequences for those who are making these decisions. This also explains why our health service is so poor despite the 20 billion+ poured into it every year

Fils wrote: »

Free? We pay 20 billion for it every year, and many people pay again for private healthcare because they can't rely on it in a crisis.

It's only free if you have the time (often years) to wait for treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭JRant

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

- the weakest Taoiseach we've had yet being led by an unelected civil servant with an ego problem

- a culture of unaccountability and no consequences for those who are making these decisions. This also explains why our health service is so poor despite the 20 billion+ poured into it every year

It also helps that the government are pumping serious money into all media at the moment in the form of "advertising" to help keep them on message.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Fils wrote: »

But it appears to be badly restricting our freedom

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Haven't posted in here for a while, as i've been doing my absolute best to ignore the back and forth with most COVID news these days. Parents and anyone i know who are vulnerable are vaccinated, baby on the way, and we're happily getting on with our lives.

But seeing this latest nonsense from NPHET just brought it all back, and really shows that they are on a completely different planet then regular people. 700k cases and 2k+ deaths? Where the **** did they pull this nonsense from? Why not look at other countries and generate their model on actual statistics? The UK just said their are removing all their restrictions on the 19th, and they are the ones being "decimated" by the Delta variant apparently. The hospitality industry is whats being decimated, and pushing it back another few weeks only makes things worse for them.

This genuinely just seems like yet another attempt to terrify the public into accepting whatever mandate they "recommend". And our government is so weak they will do whatever they are told. Absolute nonsense yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

Unsurprisingly Shane Coleman on NT is backing the notion that the government can't go against NPHET's "stark" warning.
    Without any independent advice, they certainly can't.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1409751053042597891

Although, it's up to government, to figure out if what NPHET are calling for is actually possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Don't forget a minister for health as arrogant and pig-headed as he is dim and miles out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Don't forget a minister for health as arrogant and pig-headed as he is dim and miles out of his depth.
    And yet he is the man who can dissolve NHPET! I see that #disbandNphet is trending on Twitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The headlines are fooking ridiculous today.

"Dire Delta"

Would you ever **** off with this crap. I've been tolerant enough in regards to restrictions up to this point.

It's completely unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

North opening fully 19th july can go live there or might be worth having a base for weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ionnn

Could this government be any more pathetic? The incompetence and dysfunction is off the charts

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

saw this comment: NPHET stands for, No Pubs, Hotels, Entertainment or Travel

• Registered Users Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Great way to get younger people vaccinated tbf.

However, this should have been in the pipeline weeks or months ago.

agoodpunt wrote: »
    saw this comment: NPHET stands for, No Pubs, Hotels, Entertainment or Travel

Or...

National Platform (for) Holohan's Ego (and) Tantrums

6 wrote: »
    Great way to get younger people vaccinated tbf.

However, this should have been in the pipeline weeks or months ago.

Not really.. See the comment above from a younger poster asking why they should bother.

All NPHET have done here is say the vaccines are basically worthless. You can be sure it'll have quite the opposite effect you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not really.. See the comment above from a younger poster asking why they should bother.

All NPHET have done here is say the vaccines are basically worthless. You can be sure it'll have quite the opposite effect you suggest.

Why are NPHET so anti effects of vaccination

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Are we actually going to end up with a situation where you can leave the country on the 19th but can't sit in a restaurant for a meal. That would be truly incredible.

Or is travel off the cards now too?

The way i see it is that july 19 was probably the initial target for both delaying the easing of restrictions AND opening up international flights w the EU Covid19 Cert. Both make use of the Cert. I think TH was very smart suggesting indoor dining/drinking only possible for vaccinated people and the Cert coukd be used as proof. It meant a further delay for everyone else which cant be just 2 weeks as the results could not be assessed in such a short time period.
    Which meant august the earliest and then a reset w schools opening imo.
    I wonder if LFTs ARE going to be considered at some point in the future. That might be a compromise the government will look into.
    Other countries are already way way ahead.

In my dark thoughts TH is just waiting for a rise in cases after Euro2020 to underpin his stance. And then delay international flights on July 19 to september if cases rise further. See: travelling=trouble.
    In my brighter thoughts the government WILL hold on to the July19 opening f international flights plus indoor hospitality for both vaccinated people and those w LFTs. It keeps some track on (younger) staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The infectious disease experts are out in force on boards this morning haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

The infectious disease experts are out in force on boards this morning haha

Ah jaysus, you don't need to be an epidemiologist to know that 700,000 cases and 2170 deaths here in a 2 month timespan is horseshít ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement