Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Further lockdowns, ridiculous levels of debt
    MNC leaving (maybe), SF likely to win the next election and increase the majority of our taxes. It’s going to be a long few years!

I generally would have been supportive of restrictions up until the last few months but this new forecast is just plain ridiculous unless NPHET know more than the rest of the worlds scientists.

No matter who is in power, there’ll be large tax increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

the fact that the model presented is a farce
    The govt wont allow indoor this year.
    NPET will have used the pandemic to break pub culture permanently which is what dr hou so arrogantly wants to impose on the public and he has a weak govt to play with and it going to cost us dearly

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's hashtag doing the rounds, disbandNPHET, a good measure of the stupidity in this country.

Putting aside all the obvious reasons as to why it's so stupid, even after a year of a pandemic people still don't understand what their role is and who actually make the decisions based on their advice.

More and more people understand just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

NPHET's latest projections should be the beginning of the end for them they are so outlandish......they won't though, government will bend over and reopening will be stalled and just like before, those figure of infections, hospitalisations and deaths will be viewed as what would definitely have happened had they not made their recommendations and the government not bowed to their projections. All hail.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Where are they getting these ludicrous figures from, 700,000 cases, 2000 deaths?/. Are they not going to be asked to justify them?. How is indoor dining going to cause such an outbreak?. I was in a penneys shop recently and people were in close connect, same in many other shops and hospital figures are as low as they'll get. Is Tony saying vaccinations are a waste of time?. Anyone over sixty should have been vaccinated by now, at some stage people have to take personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'm not in favor of it but can you point to how it failed ??

Doesn't look to have failed in Denmark anyway, they got infections right down and were able to open up with it, now it'll be phased out because it's worked.

You either go with it at the beginning or not at all, definitely not now, it just annoys more people at this stage.

In Denmark the coronapas can be used to show vaccination but also for the unvaccinated who can show negative test in the last 72 hours or evidence of previous infection and recovery. NPHET appear to be recommending the vaccine only route i.e. no vaccine, no entry. That's a completely different ballgame, and clear and outright discrimination. Especially when not everyone has yet been offered a vaccine. Basing access to society on vaccine status only is very dangerous territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

funnydoggy wrote: »

I suppose the vaccine efficacy could mysteriously and completely fail over the next 3 months but that death rate sounds much too high

In saying that in November NPHET also suggested we could see over 400 cases a day in January 2021 and we all laughed at that

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the unvaccinated should wear a little symbol on their clothing so we know who they are

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    You know that phrase expect the worst and hope for the best? With this government its expect the worst full stop.

Expect the worst and somehow get even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Where are they getting these ludicrous figures from, 700,000 cases, 2000 deaths?/. Are they not going to be asked to justify them?. How is indoor dining going to cause such an outbreak?. I was in a penneys shop recently and people were in close connect, same in many other shops and hospital figures are as low as they'll get. Is Tony saying vaccinations are a waste of time?. Anyone over sixty should have been vaccinated by now, at some stage people have to take personal responsibility.

Blatant lies by the North Korean government and media

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In Denmark the coronapas can be used to show vaccination but also for the unvaccinated who can show negative test in the last 72 hours or evidence of previous infection and recovery. NPHET appear to be recommending the vaccine only route i.e. no vaccine, no entry. That's a completely different ballgame, and clear and outright discrimination. Especially when not everyone has yet been offered a vaccine. Basing access to society on vaccine status only is very dangerous territory.

I know how Coronapas works, said poster saying it didn't work in Denmark, when it looks like it did.

Not saying I agree with anything of the like here but to say it failed in Denmark isn't accurate, it did the job it was brought in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I wonder did he use laundered money to buy the device he posted that from
    https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1409564791019028485?s=19

Shouldn't you be eating some humble pie and saying sorry to all of those posters you've mocked for weeks?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    More and more people understand just fine.

It's the government they should be pressuring so as to have the data re-analysed and checked.

It's ultimately up to the cabinet to act on advice given, but they should also be sure of the data they're given.

The figures flagged now are at the extreme end of the worse case scenario, they should be tempered a bit, but calling for the disbanding of it is off the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I wonder did he use laundered money to buy the device he posted that from
    https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1409564791019028485?s=19

I wonder does that have any relevance to the thread topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Apologies I’m sure this has been discussed before but I’m genuinely trying to weigh up the Actual benefits of getting this vaccine, I’m young fit and healthy. If I can still catch and spread covid after I have been vaccinated, what is the benefit?

I’m not being sarcastic here, I’m trying to decide weather or not I want it.

Thanks

I see no benefits for the young long term effects unknown... they were trying to blackmail us into taking it, by removing our liberties. Also as we now see, the vaccine apparently changes nothing... still huge restrictions with the elderly vaccinated!

AND had people not been so eager to go out and get vaccinated in their masses , the government and nphet powergrab, would have been far more difficult for them...

I wonder does that have any relevance to the thread topic

Absolutely, any ****e he writes or posts has the spectre of dodgy funding and agendas behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Why are newstalk, rte and the like, not questioning these numbers? They just keep repeating how 'stark' they are.
    The numbers if applied to Uk would mean that they should be looking at approx 117000 cases per day or 6.5m additional cases.

These numbers are outrageously high.

the unvaccinated should wear a little symbol on their clothing so we know who they are

I'll proudly wear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This is what the NPHET numbers would look like. A peak 3x the January one at the end of August. We’d be well out of PCR capacity to even test that many cases

https://twitter.com/riochtconor2/status/1409771678549295106?s=21

Farcical

Are our government going to ask for a second opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

bloopy wrote: »
    Why are newstalk, rte and the like, not questioning these numbers? They just keep repeating how 'stark' they are.
    The numbers if applied to Uk would mean that they should be looking at approx 117000 cases per day or 6.5m additional cases.

These numbers are outrageously high.

Newstalk did mention a few times how they should be independently verified considering how bad they are

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hold firm lads.

We're nearly there.

2 weeks.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Farcical

Are our government going to ask for a second opinion?

No, they have the outcome they want. They are the ones making all the choices...

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

When you have a biased press here and no real balance when it comes to journalism (actually no journalism at all) you know that you can get away with just throwing stuff like NPHET have out and the lemmings will buy it.

Shane Coleman was effectively demanding that the government "must listen to NPHET" on Newstalk this morning. We have no effective opposition - have SF fallen off a cliff or something? Complete and utter silence from them. And we have no effective media to at least challenge and question what is going on. The media is nicely falling into line this morning. Must be a dream scenario for Tony and NPHET to have little or no challenge to whatever they propose.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Hold firm lads.

We're nearly there.

2 weeks.

Stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

5-6 days ago i criticised people for saying pubs should just open indoors anyway in protest but after seeing the absolute fantasy figures from NPHET i now have changed my mind we need mass civil disobedience to show tony and his mates we wont be taken for fools like this any longer

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be eating some humble pie and saying sorry to all of those posters you've mocked for weeks?

Absolutely not, why should I? They worked themselves into the mess. I said at the time there was no point fretting or obsessing about it regardless if it happens or not, but try deal with it better, and I still stand by it.

I never made comment as to if I agreed or not with any extension to the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's the government they should be pressuring so as to have the data re-analysed and checked.

It's ultimately up to the cabinet to act on advice given, but they should also be sure of the data they're given.

The figures flagged now are at the extreme end of the worse case scenario, they should be tempered a bit, but calling for the disbanding of it is off the wall.

Are NPHET standing out alone across Europe with such projections?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm hoping someone has made a balls up with that leak. I appreciate that the December surge exceeded NPHET's models by a considerable amount, but 700k is off the charts. That seems like a projection if we were to abandon all restrictions come Monday. Otherwise someone's numbers are off by a factor of 10.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement