Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In Denmark the coronapas can be used to show vaccination but also for the unvaccinated who can show negative test in the last 72 hours or evidence of previous infection and recovery. NPHET appear to be recommending the vaccine only route i.e. no vaccine, no entry. That's a completely different ballgame, and clear and outright discrimination. Especially when not everyone has yet been offered a vaccine. Basing access to society on vaccine status only is very dangerous territory.

I shouldn't have to disclose my medical history under any circumstances.

whether going shopping, having a pint, going to a match in a stadium.

i certainly wont tolerate any member of the public demanding i take medical treatment when im perfectly healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

VinLieger wrote: »
    5-6 days ago i criticised people for saying pubs should just open indoors anyway in protest but after seeing the absolute fantasy figures from NPHET i now have changed my mind we need mass civil disobedience to show tony and his mates we wont be taken for fools like this any longer

I think most people are carrying on with their lives as normal as they can now, and most probably can't even tell you what current restrictions are.

I appreciate that we can't dine indoors or go for a pint indoors, but outside of that most of the country is back to normal. I heard something on the radio yesterday about how we are only meant to meet with one other family indoors (or something to that effect), but I would say no-one is abiding by those rules now. I know I don't folllow them. And most of the people I know aren't. Yet hospital numbers are at an all time low.

Watching the football brings it back everyday to me just how cautious we are, and how we are being controlled by Tony and his mob. Thousands of people are going to football matches in various countries around Europe, fans are flying into cities for a couple of days to take in a game, then leave again. But not here, no you can't get a meal indoors for another 2 weeks just in case. But if you are in a hotel you can.

Joke of a country at this stage. NPHET is like the new catholic church....do as we say.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

VinLieger wrote: »
    5-6 days ago i criticised people for saying pubs should just open indoors anyway in protest but after seeing the absolute fantasy figures from NPHET i now have changed my mind we need mass civil disobedience to show tony and his mates we wont be taken for fools like this any longer

I agree but look at the general comments on social media and you'd see that doesn't have much support. People's mental health has been shattered and they now can't even stand up for themselves. Even publicans seem compliant now.

Just two more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

seamus wrote: »
    I'm hoping someone has made a balls up with that leak. I appreciate that the December surge exceeded NPHET's models by a considerable amount, but 700k is off the charts. That seems like a projection if we were to abandon all restrictions come Monday. Otherwise someone's numbers are off by a factor of 10.

Eamon Ryan was on this morning and all but confirmed that the restrictions will not be lifted and that the NPHET numbers were "sobering" and "stark".

NPHET are projecting doomsday scenarios multiple times worse than what India had with their Delta wave. Bonkers stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think most people are carrying on with their lives as normal as they can now, and most probably can't even tell you what current restrictions are.

I appreciate that we can't dine indoors or go for a pint indoors, but outside of that most of the country is back to normal. I heard something on the radio yesterday about how we are only meant to meet with one other family indoors (or something to that effect), but I would say no-one is abiding by those rules now. I know I don't folllow them. And most of the people I know aren't. Yet hospital numbers are at an all time low.

Watching the football brings it back everyday to me just how cautious we are, and how we are being controlled by Tony and his mob. Thousands of people are going to football matches in various countries around Europe, fans are flying into cities for a couple of days to take in a game, then leave again. But not here, no you can't get a meal indoors for another 2 weeks just in case. But if you are in a hotel you can.

Joke of a country at this stage. NPHET is like the new catholic church....do as we say.

Exactly it seems like NPHET are basing their modeling off the idealist view of everyone obeying 100% of current restrictions which hasn't been happening for months.

Exactly like Tonys finger wagging from the other week showing he was completely unaware exactly that situation had been happening for weeks with no noticeable rise in cases.

They aren't looking at reality in any stretch of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's hashtag doing the rounds, disbandNPHET, a good measure of the stupidity in this country.

Putting aside all the obvious reasons as to why it's so stupid, even after a year of a pandemic people still don't understand what their role is and who actually make the decisions based on their advice.

Tbh, when they're giving advice based off ridiculous data, there's a serious question as to what their purpose is. Either they can stand over that data or they can't, and if they can't, their advice is worthless tbh and there's no need for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That data needs checking. The models and the assumptions in the models need to be published so as to be checked and verified.

That model seems wildly biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Nozebleed wrote: »
    I shouldn't have to disclose my medical history under any circumstances.

whether going shopping, having a pint, going to a match in a stadium.

i certainly wont tolerate any member of the public demanding i take medical treatment when im perfectly healthy.

Showing id to be allowed dine indoors lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

There's a distinct lack of the usual Government clappy-seals on the thread since the leak last night - I wonder have even the slow lads in class figured out what some of us did 15 months ago?

Unfortunately in that time, individual businesses and entire sectors have been decimated. We are on course for 250billion of debt by the year end. What that means in real terms is sobering - we have crippled ourselves from being able to borrow our way out of the next recession and we have needlessly exposed ourselves to any raising of interests rates.

What have we gained for all this - **** all. With better management of hospitals and nursing homes we could have seen the same results for a tiny fraction of the costs. The Irish have exposed themselves as one of the most docile and easily controlled people on the planet.

We will all pay the price for this in the coming years - our kids will be still paying for this when they reach maturity.

Time to get our from under the beds and wake up to what's been done to the country

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sp00k

I'd be a pretty laid back person, and I avoid confrontation. For the first time in my life I think I will attend a protest, should one be organized. This is absolutely farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In Denmark the coronapas can be used to show vaccination but also for the unvaccinated who can show negative test in the last 72 hours or evidence of previous infection and recovery. NPHET appear to be recommending the vaccine only route i.e. no vaccine, no entry. That's a completely different ballgame, and clear and outright discrimination. Especially when not everyone has yet been offered a vaccine. Basing access to society on vaccine status only is very dangerous territory.

Did Denmark open the vaccination to everyone or decided like Ireland to give it only to some age ranges in priority ?
    That is a problem of fairness: if you want to give privileges to vaccinated people. everybody should have the option to be vaccinated in a first place. It is not the case in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

bloopy wrote: »
    Why are newstalk, rte and the like, not questioning these numbers? They just keep repeating how 'stark' they are.
    The numbers if applied to Uk would mean that they should be looking at approx 117000 cases per day or 6.5m additional cases.

These numbers are outrageously high.

Not listening to RTE but Shane Coleman questioned the figures numerous times this morning... Pat Kenny talking to an Irish Water rep at the moment about a different issue but he will cover it! I wonder will he bring Luke O Neill in to try and make sense of the figures

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

agoodpunt wrote: »
    North opening fully 19th july can go live there or might be worth having a base for weekends

England. Not the north.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How is the cinema open the last month??

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I get the anger around the vaccine bonuses, but all of the arguments basically boil down to "I'd rather the restaurants continue to struggle than someone else get to do something I can't do". People would genuinely rather be turned away from a busy beer garden because there's no more seats, than allow some of the punters sit inside.

Can't see the government going for it either way. Begrudgery will ensure they get hammered for it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

sp00k wrote: »
    I'd be a pretty laid back person, and I avoid confrontation. For the first time in my life I think I will attend a protest, should one be organized. This is absolutely farcical.

There will be undoubtedly demonstrations, but think about what you are protesting... That you can't drink inside a pub... I mean... Is it that big a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

How is the cinema open the last month??

Socially distant seats. You book a seat (or a few seats) and they lock seats around you so you aren't near anybody.

Increased ventilation too I'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mr.CoolGuy wrote: »
    I get the anger around the vaccine bonuses, but all of the arguments basically boil down to "I'd rather the restaurants continue to struggle than someone else get to do something I can't do". People would genuinely rather be turned away from a busy beer garden because there's no more seats, than allow some of the punters sit inside.

Can't see the government going for it either way. Begrudgery will ensure they get hammered for it

Whatever about all that - it's simply not workable. You are now putting the onus on bar staff to enforce a type of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sp00k

There will be undoubtedly demonstrations, but think about what you are protesting... That you can't drink inside a pub... I mean... Is it that big a deal?

Honestly, some people... I'm not protesting 'not being able to drink inside a pub'. I'm protesting the decimation of livelihoods across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

zebastein wrote: »
    Did Denmark open the vaccination to everyone or decided like Ireland to give it only to some age ranges in priority ?
    That is a problem of fairness: if you want to give privileges to vaccinated people. everybody should have the option to be vaccinated in a first place. It is not the case in Ireland.

People have been saying that what nphet and the goverment have been doing for the last 15 months or so was over the top to the risk involved but people were too compliant and this is the result - total power grab.
    People should have been out marching ages ago but anyone that did was lumped as an anti-vaxxer.
    Give these guys too much power and this is what happens.
    Why are hospitality people out protesting there are huge demonstrations in uk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Thats not what people are protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't understand the 2 week delay at all.

So in 2 weeks time, the Delta variant won't be an issue? But it is now?

If anything, it will be more hyped up and worrying in 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks.
    what about the next variant after Delta?

I can see more delays to reopening, its not just this one. Brace yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

zebastein wrote: »

In Denmark unvaccinated can also get the coronapas with a negative rapid antigen test (which of course NPHET have an ideological objection to). However here it seems NPHET are recommending a vaccine pass only i.e. no vaccine, no entry. Completely uncharted territory.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Whatever about all that - it's simply not workable. You are now putting the onus on bar staff to enforce a type of discrimination.

Not to mention the vast majority of wait or bar staff wont be vaccinated yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

There's a distinct lack of the usual Government clappy-seals on the thread since the leak last night - I wonder have even the slow lads in class figured out what some of us did 15 months ago?

Unfortunately in that time, individual businesses and entire sectors have been decimated. We are on course for 250million of debt by the year end. What that means in real terms is sobering - we have crippled ourselves from being able to borrow our way out of the next recession and we have needlessly exposed ourselves to any raising of interests rates.

What have we gained for all this - **** all. With better management of hospitals and nursing homes we could have seen the same results for a tiny fraction of the costs. The Irish have exposed themselves as one of the most docile and easily controlled people on the planet.

We will all pay the price for this in the coming years - our kids will be still paying for this when they reach maturity.

Time to get our from under then beds and wake up to what's been done to the country

I agree . However , its 250 billion of debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Further lockdowns, ridiculous levels of debt
    MNC leaving (maybe), SF likely to win the next election and increase the majority of our taxes. It’s going to be a long few years!

I generally would have been supportive of restrictions up until the last few months but this new forecast is just plain ridiculous unless NPHET know more than the rest of the worlds scientists.

This is why we ended up where we are now folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Thats not what people are protesting.

Thousands of people out of work for the majority of the past 15 months and people are still pushing the "haha, silly drunk Irish just want their pints" guff. It's fúcking infuriating.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't understand the 2 week delay at all.

So in 2 weeks time, the Delta variant won't be an issue? But it is now?

If anything, it will be more hyped up and worrying in 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks.

I can see more delays to reopening, its not just this one. Brace yourselves.

Yup on all the reports i heard this morning they were saying NPHET advising "weeks" and deffinitely implying that meant more than 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

For NPHETs model to be right we would see 23.58 deaths a day over July, August and September or 723 deaths per month

Where in hell they have come up with those figures nobody knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

After all this time do you still think its just about "not being able to go for a pint"

Sweet Jesus!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement