Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

2,170 deaths in the next 3 months being forecast.

This is pure fantasy crap and the gov are lapping it up,
    no indepenedent analysis so it's literally plucked from the air. Why is there no one in a position to question and call this out?

I like many reading through the past few pages here am angry, why are we the outlier? When can we open?

I've never been to a protest in my life but is there one being planned? This is an omnishambles.

What's worse is, the public are lapping it up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gael23 wrote: »
    Plan to only allow vaccinated dine indoors looks to be illegal under the equality act
    Under what section of the equality act?
    jakiah wrote: »
    Havent NPHET effectiviely undermined the vaccine rollout with these models? They are effectively saying vaccines dont work
    Which is another reason why I'm skeptical that these headlines are accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Proof of vaccination or negative antigen tests for indoor dinging, like other countries are doing, would seem like a reasonable compromise here. It doesn't exclude people based on vaccination while still reducing risk somewhat. We can't have that though because a) Our government, as usual, couldn't be bothered putting a system in place ahead of time and b) Tony doesn't like antigen tests and Tony knows best.

Pat Kenny suggested they just couldn't be arsed implementing mass antigen testing. Starting to believe that.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    I'd like to think you're right but in all honesty I don't think you are.

I think you may be correct there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

SF are keeping quiet because to be seen now to be going against government/NPHET health advice would be risky for them.

In this pandemic, all parties towed the same line. Can't deviate now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

When the dust settles on this, let us not forget the names of the media collaborators. Shane Coleman has been vomit inducing.

In fairness he did ask had the models been validated. He is not agreeing with them, just saying politically the government will not be strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2170?
    Why not 2070, or 2190, or 2500?

Sure just throw out a random figure, keep the culture of fear alive, keep ourselves (NPHET) relevant, keep all the celeb experts on the TV and radio for another 6 months. McConkey, O'Neill and all never want this to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Mr.CoolGuy wrote: »
    I get the anger around the vaccine bonuses, but all of the arguments basically boil down to "I'd rather the restaurants continue to struggle than someone else get to do something I can't do". People would genuinely rather be turned away from a busy beer garden because there's no more seats, than allow some of the punters sit inside.

Can't see the government going for it either way. Begrudgery will ensure they get hammered for it

No the arguments do not boil down to that. I’m fully vaccinated and I’ll be the first in line to protest against vaccine apartheid. It’s an appalling prospect, and where will it end? I don’t want to live in a society that would do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

There’s war on Cork local radio this morning anyway - restauranteurs and the public alike sick of it all. Yer man from Treyvauds in Killarney was on and you could feel the anger through the radio. Wouldn’t blame him, to be fair.

leahyl wrote: »
    There’s war on Cork local radio this morning anyway - restauranteurs and the public alike sick of it all. Yer man from Treyvauds in Killarney was on and you could feel the anger through the radio. Wouldn’t blame him, to be fair.

Then you got the two fellas afterwards on both sides.. it was fúcking hilarious.

The man calling for every man, woman and child to be vaccinated in the country before any restrictions lifted seemed a bit.. cracked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AdamD wrote: »
    There's a logic gap in here somewhere. The virus barely affects young people so bottom of the list for vaccines, but when they're the only ones not vaccinated they still can't live their lives freely, unless of course they're needed to serve you food and drink.
    I wouldn't call it a "logic gap", but it's certainly a fair point. As essential workers it was accepted that some things just had to be done, therefore having people work unvaccinated was an acceptable level of risk.

Whereas serving people in pubs and restaurants is not essential work, so why is the risk acceptable?

It does still however beg the question of why unvaccinated staff serving unvaccinated people outside is OK, but serving vaccinated people inside, is not? The latter pose far less of a risk to staff than the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

leahyl wrote: »

Is he going to follow through on his pledge to open on Monday come what may?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/well-known-irish-restaurant-owner-24403746

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Just a reminder that Texas has been 100% reopen with no mask mandate for four full months now.

It comes to something when we’re crazier than Texas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

2,170 deaths in the next 3 months being forecast.

This is pure fantasy crap and the gov are lapping it up, no indepenedent analysis so it's literally plucked from the air. Why is there no one in a position to question and call this out?

I like many reading through the past few pages here am angry, why are we the outlier? When can we open?

I've never been to a protest in my life but is there one being planned? This is an omnishambles.

Are there any academics in government?

Is he going to follow through on his pledge to open on Monday come what may?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/well-known-irish-restaurant-owner-24403746

He is, yeah. The best of luck to him IMO

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Then you got the two fellas afterwards on both sides.. it was fúcking hilarious.

The man calling for every man, woman and child to be vaccinated in the country before any restrictions lifted seemed a bit.. cracked.

Lol laughed my head off at that fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Just a reminder that Texas has been 100% reopen with no mask mandate for four full months now.

Christ - how many hundreds of thousands have needlessly perished?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

McConkey was on NT this morning and said his modelling predicted 200 to 500 deaths for the rest of 2021...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

New York (which had some of the highest cases and harshest restrictions in the US) has had indoor dining open with limited capacity since at least March, if not earlier. At the end of March, 31% of their population had one dose of the vaccine, and 17% were fully vaccinated. Their case numbers have been steadily declining since March, despite increasing the indoor dining capacity limits since then.

Here, we currently have 47% of the population with at least one dose, and 20% of the population fully vaccinated, but we're talking about keeping indoor dining completely closed for a further unspecified amount of time.

It is fúcking scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

funnydoggy wrote: »
    He is, yeah. The best of luck to him IMO

I'll believe it when I see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Kingston Mills ****ting all over the AZ vaccine now. Predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    The introduction of a vaccine passport for indoor hospitality would be a great idea if it was 3 months ago, coupled with other optional passes such as a negative antigen test, negative PCR test or proof of recovery.

Can't wait to see the half arsed system they try to introduce on July 19th (or later).

I kind of expect 'problems' of implementations resulting in a....delay.
    Deliberate?!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

seamus wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a "logic gap", but it's certainly a fair point. As essential workers it was accepted that some things just had to be done, therefore having people work unvaccinated was an acceptable level of risk.

Whereas serving people in pubs and restaurants is not essential work, so why is the risk acceptable?

It does still however beg the question of why unvaccinated staff serving unvaccinated people outside is OK, but serving vaccinated people inside, is not? The latter pose far less of a risk to staff than the former.

The logic gap is that Ireland has been one of the only country not opening the vaccine to everyone. Countries like Germany or France opened the vaccination to the young cohorts early, reducing the transmission of the virus in these age groups. Ireland preferred reducing the risk of severe illness than the transmission by focusing on older cohorts. Fair enough.

And now, the decisions taken in Ireland are about "reducing cases of 10% if we delay 2weeks". This is a logic gap, if it was about reducing case numbers you would have opened the vaccine to the 18-25 age group in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Threads moving very fast but 2 thoughts.

Even their optimistic figures look pessimistic to me.

Secondly, a lot trouble with the inequality of green certs/vaccine passports whatever you want to call them stems from the reluctance to use antigen testing. You can't discriminate against vaccinated vs not but if it went hand in hand with rapid tetsing it can work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

seamus wrote: »
    At considerably lower rates though, we know that. The unvaccinated staff pose a graver risk to eachother than vaccinated customers do.

So it's okay for unvaccinated staff to serve vaccinated customers because they don't pose a risk to the vaccinated customers but its not okay for unvaccinated customers to be near the vaccinated customers? does covid know the unvaccinated staff are working or what?

I don't understand this logic at all. Can we stop trying to segregate society based on vaccine status please?

In more positive news….I’m getting my first vaccine today :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The Irish Government, via the Department of Health, has published a tender document seeking bidders to provide hotel rooms, transport, security, and healthcare monitoring for the purpose of providing mandatory hotel quarantine in Ireland into 2022, Gript can reveal.

https://gript.ie/exclusive-government-tendering-for-mandatory-quarantine-for-next-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I see the following on independent.ie

"Ministers will also consider whether the Government should just issue advice to unvaccinated people urging them not to dine indoors."

This is the only viable option. The idea of pubs checking people's vaccine certs is just insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

6 wrote: »
    Well it looks like you will. No vaccine, no entry.

It's up to the government and businesses to make it work. This should have been in place ready to implement months ago.

Not everyone will be a pushover. I'm fully vaccinated. No way would I eat or drink in a pub or restaurant that discriminates with our Governments help against non vaccinated People.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

prunudo wrote: »
    Threads moving very fast but 2 thoughts.

Even their optimistic figures look pessimistic to me.

Secondly, a lot trouble with the inequality of green certs/vaccine passports whatever you want to call them stems from the reluctance to use antigen testing. You can't discriminate against vaccinated vs not but if it went hand in hand with rapid tetsing it can work.

NPHET should be asked to properly explain their reasoning for opposing professionally administered antigen tests instead of deflecting with nonsense like the butter testing performance from a few weeks ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement