Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

bear1 wrote: »

Ignoring rapid antigen tests again - NPHETs reach is very far. Basing the passport on vaccine status or evidence of previous infection/recovery is a non runner. I'm stunned this is being considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,409 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

NIMAN wrote: »

Remember 100,000 dead at the start of this?

Based on no restrictions surely.

Easy to spin bs from every angle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'm presuming we'd have hundreds of thousands of dead - maybe even millions.

Based on what has happened in other countries, if we opened indoor hospitality next week the hospitals would be overwhelmed within weeks, death tolls would rival the bubonic plague, and we'd be an apocalyptic wasteland by October absolutely fúck all significant would happen.

The Nal wrote: »
    What would happen if hundreds of pubs and restaurants just opened?

Ireland would sink into the Atlantic.

If this government is going down the "no vaccine, no access to parts of society" route it's incredibly dangerous. Honestly this is what the conspiracy theorists were saying would happen and people laughed their holes off at them (me included).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

"A final decision on international travel will not be taken until next week’s Cabinet meeting."

I am now 100% in the "they can go fúck themselves" camp.

That actually surprised me. What decision is it they plan to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    If this government is going down the "no vaccine, no access to parts of society" route it's incredibly dangerous. Honestly this is what the conspiracy theorists were saying and people laughed their holes off at them.

The term "conspiracy" has entirely lost all credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Licensed Vintners Association statement:

"It is completely bizarre that they would introduce such a system this late and basically try to panic the entire country into accepting a process that would create a two tier society," said Donall O'Keeffe, Chief Executive of the LVA, in a statement.

"Given NPHET's track record, we have no confidence they will recommend the reopening of hospitality this summer. By 19 July there will be well over 4.5m vaccines delivered and that should permit hospitality to reopen indoors. The Government must take charge now and commit to our reopening on 19 July," Mr O'Keeffe concluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

The simple solution is if you aren't vaccinated or feel vulnerable then please don't go to a pub or restaurant indoors.
    Not this crap of vaccine passports, antigen tests and apps. That will only lead to more problems down the line.
    Time to drive on now and never look back on the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

km79 wrote: »
    On what planet do they think we actually believe they will have 2 million digital certs and a system ready by July 19th. Or that we even think it’s appropriate or constitutional......

Indoor dining delayed until July 19 while vaccine cert system is developed
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/indoor-dining-delayed-until-july-19-while-vaccine-cert-system-is-developed-40591472.html

It is highly likely there HAS been work done regarding the EU Covid19 Cert in preparation of implementing it. The government hinted a while back that it was, im paraphrasing, progressing in good order.They have to play ball w the EU after all but are in a position to delay it if they say they need to.
    No update has been given since. They w make a cabinet decision next week, well after july 1st when the EU Covid Cert is officially launched, although many countries have already started prior to that date.
    I guess the government wants the highest level of options simultaneously which includes a possible delay of just about anything.
    Delaying international travel is going to be a harder sell to the EU with people (including other EU members) having booked flights, without cases rising in great numbers which is unlikely. The NPHET scare model wont work as a barrier there imo but might do delaying indoor indoor dining in the other hospitality sector.
    So, i dont think the government will come with an update about the EU cert until the last moment. They left july 19 hanging in the air so hoping people were reluctant to book flights. Let's see how many problems arise when millions of people trying to get their Cert in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

"A final decision on international travel will not be taken until next week’s Cabinet meeting."

I am now 100% in the "they can go fúck themselves" camp.

If hospitality doesnt open we wont be pressing ahead with International travel i reckon.

We would be even more of a laughing stock if we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

RobitTV wrote: »
    Licensed Vintners Association statement:

Have they just accepted the two week delay then to the 19th? I thought it was the 5th...

tommybrees wrote: »
    The simple solution is if you aren't vaccinated or feel vulnerable then please don't go to a pub or restaurant indoors.
    Not this crap of vaccine passports, antigen tests and apps. That will only lead to more problems down the line.
    Time to drive on now and never look back on the past year.

There is zero trust in ordinary people from NPHET and the gov. Personal responsibility does not come into it, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

seamus wrote: »
    They don't really get to reject any plan, they can only refuse to open. But there'll be no appetite to piss them off that much.

Most likely, as per the other thread, the official government advice will be that unvaccinated people should not sit indoors, without creating any obligation on places to check.

And to accommodate this, the opening will be pushed back to the 19th. Whereas if they were willing to get on board with this, they could have opened on Monday.

Advisory it may well be Seamus.

I'd say they open on the 19th and if your comfortable going indoors then fire away, if not ask for outdoor seating if possible
    https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1409824820997410816?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Stephen Donnelly seems to have vanished off the face of the planet.

Another coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Have they just accepted the two week delay then to the 19th? I thought it was the 5th...

They will be incredibly lucky of its only a two week Delay

NPHET won't just agree to indoor hospitality in two weeks time

That LVA fella is right

Given NPHET’s track record, we have no confidence they will recommend the reopening of hospitality this summer

The next goalpost shift will be to get the schools and colleges reopened

Sure you couldn't jeopardise that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AdamD wrote: »
    But no system would be in place to prove vaccinations by Monday? Or by the 17th for that matter
    It would be self-policing. Just like the requirement last Summer that only you could only have six people from two households.
    Why are in a worse position then last year?
    We're not. Last year we made a mistake. Cases started growing after indoor dining came back.
    Why does hospitality seemingly make so much of a difference?
    Boozing results in close-quarters. Boozing in a pub results in lots of mixing. That's it really.
    Once you have lots of unvaccinated people from different households mixing indoors night after night, boozed up and inhibitions dropped, you have the perfect conditions for infection spread.

This is why residents bars are lower risk (there are less households and less mixing). It's why vaccinated patrons only would be lower risk. It's why outdoor hospitality is lower risk.

There would have been scope probably weeks ago to allow cafes to open indoors as well as restaurants on condition that they don't serve alcohol, but you could imagine the wailing that would have resulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I actually think the passport app is a good idea but it should include vaccinated, anyone who tested negative within a few days or anyone who has already had the virus.

This should have been mooted months ago.

Let's be seen to do something while doing nothing.

https://twitter.com/PTHosford/status/1409825966185140230?s=20

Advisory because if it was anything else it would be a sh!tshow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Stephen Donnelly seems to have vanished off the face of the planet.

Another coward.

A coward in a sea of cowards.

NPHET are an ADVISORY group, but they seem to be the ones making the decisions. Ever since MM overrode them in December he hasnt said a peep against them, and that should tell us all we need to know for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

seamus wrote: »
    Boozing results in close-quarters. Boozing in a pub results in lots of mixing. That's it really.
    Once you have lots of unvaccinated people from different households mixing indoors night after night, boozed up and inhibitions dropped, you have the perfect conditions for infection spread.

This is why residents bars are lower risk (there are less households and less mixing). It's why vaccinated patrons only would be lower risk. It's why outdoor hospitality is lower risk.

There would have been scope probably weeks ago to allow cafes to open indoors as well as restaurants on condition that they don't serve alcohol, but you could imagine the wailing that would have resulted.

Yes but 7000 cases a day! How could hospitality and hospitality alone cause that

I do agree about restaurants and cafes, who have both seemingly been thrown to the wolves for very little reasoning. Its not all about the pubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

namloc1980 wrote: »
    If this government is going down the "no vaccine, no access to parts of society" route it's incredibly dangerous. Honestly this is what the conspiracy theorists were saying would happen and people laughed their holes off at them (me included).

I have four friends, aged in the late forties/early fifties who refuse to take the vaccine, for one reason or another. While I disagree with their stance, are we really headed for a society where you will be forced to take these things or else you can't enjoy life? This is dangerous territory IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'm baffled by this. If it's going to be advisory, what exactly needs to be put in place? Surely the pub owner can just check whatever the customer provides as proof of vaccination and decide whether to accept it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If we had decent opposition this issue would bring down the government

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

So, all Cafés, Restaurants etc would need to ban children from indoors then ?

I'm baffled by this. If it's going to be advisory, what exactly needs to be put in place? Surely the pub owner can just check whatever the customer provides as proof of vaccination and decide whether to accept it?

Not even that, there'd be no obligation on anyone to check. Simply go indoors if you want to, if you don't want to well don't

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Heeheee

Would love to be a fly on the wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Not even that, there'd be no obligation on anyone to check. Simply go indoors if you want to, if you don't want to well don't

The way you worded that, absolutely hilarious :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement