Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Has that actually been confirmed re: 50?

Reilly reporting it has actually.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1409834165965660166?s=1002

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

sydthebeat wrote: »
    they are weeks behind as always...... people (especially the elderly) have been doing this since receiving their second jabs

Do you think young people and not fully vaccinated people haven't been doing it for months already?
    It's complete poppycock and unenforceable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

RobitTV wrote: »
    Yes, but FF will come out of this more wounded. FG will survive as the main 'centre-right' party in the future.

Why should they? If anything, I trust Leo even less than Micheal. MM is incompetent. Leo is incompetent and sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

I'm not sure what planet our leaders are living in if they think this is good news.

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1409834929236684804

The household visit thing fell by the wayside weeks ago.
    What actually is the point of this government at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sometimes I think NPHET is led by an egomaniac who is intent on putting his own daft twist on things. For example:
    • Insisting that nursing home visits go ahead when everyone could see it was a daft idea
    • Refusal to support antigen tests despite them being widely used elsewhere
    • Advising that only vaccinated people travel despite the travel cert allowing recovered people and those with a negative test to travel
    • Pushing back indoor dining altogether despite the fact the rest of Europe have opened it in some form

When are our government going to grow a spine and tell this crowd to cop on?

There's also quite clearly an obsession about alcohol within NPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Quags

Sometimes I think NPHET is led by an egomaniac who is intent on putting his own daft twist on things. For example:
    • Insisting that nursing home visits go ahead when everyone could see it was a daft idea
    • Refusal to support antigen tests despite them being widely used elsewhere
    • Advising that only vaccinated people travel despite the travel cert allowing recovered people and those with a negative test to travel
    • Pushing back indoor dining altogether despite the fact the rest of Europe have opened it in some form

When are our government going to grow a spine and tell this crowd to cop on?

They probably wont until the public backlash becomes to much and they succumb to the pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So weddings of 50 can happen, but we can't have a meal indoors with just our significant others...okay

My two children will not be able to go with myself and their grandparents for an indoor meal

5 people

madness

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

They are actually considering someone bringing your vaccine card to the pub to get.indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Think indoor play centres were mentioned yesterday.

Will they survive the cull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Fitz* wrote: »
    So no indoors until August, and even then it will only be for people who have got their vaccine.

Another punch to the face to the under 40s who are currently waiting 6 months to be allowed to register for a vaccine appointment, let alone actually get one vaccine to even start to be qualified to sit inside and eat a meal.

There will be nothing indoors in August pal, hate to break it to you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,527 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lawred2 wrote: »

Tony has a clear upfront agenda against pubs.
    He doesn't at all hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Advising that only vaccinated people travel despite the travel cert allowing recovered people and those with a negative test to travel
    There's too much being made of this tbh. "Don't travel to virus hotspots without an appropriate vaccination" is long standing advice for all kinds of viruses. And people have always been free to ignore that advice just like they are now.

It would be very odd for NPHET to say that it's OK for unvaccinated people to travel. A PCR test doesn't prevent you from catching the virus, it's reactive rather than proactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'm glad that's happening but it's yet another item on the increasingly long list of restrictions that make no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Wales had zero covid deaths this week, first time since before the pandemic

Yet we're going to have over 2000 in the next 10 weeks?

How does that make sense to anyone?? Why is this not being questioned by every single person in government??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Why should they? If anything, I trust Leo even less than Micheal. MM is incompetent. Leo is incompetent and sneaky.

I agree with you there. But Fianna Fail is a party that has been in terminal decline since the financial crisis of 2010. I don't believe they will ever make a meaningful comeback again. They have slumped to 13% in the national polls.

This is now a two way fight between Sinn Fein and Fine Gael. This is now a fight between the left and the centre-right.

I don't like Leo at all. But FF is in a terrible mess moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

Northern Ireland has had indoor dining reopened since the 24th of May. There are currently two people in ICU there with covid. Two.

This situation is farcical. I don't care about case numbers. All that matters is hospital numbers. Although even with cases, we are still only on 250-300 a day when I would have expected 1000-2000 a day by now, with hospitalisations staying low. So it's even better than I hoped!

70% of the population has received a vaccination. The NPHET modelling makes no sense. Enough now. The money involved in supporting all of these industries unnecessarily is eye-watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    There will be nothing indoors in August pal, hate to break it to you.

I think there will be. I'd say they go with an advisory in typical Irish fashion. It'll just take 2 weeks to get to that point as well

Sinn Fein come out with anything ?
    Worst opposition in history of the state.
    Can't believe people voted.for.them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So does this mean indoor sports classes etc are gone as well ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Level 42 wrote: »

They say they want an urgent meeting with NPHET. Very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Sure it won't matter. They can advise all they want

But sure they are advising over the indoor hospitality and that matters!

Leo reigned Tony in a week or two ago when he suggested younger people shouldn't travel so it's about time he did it again. I do feel Varadkar is the only one with the ability to stand up and be counted here and I'm hoping he does.

What.happens if your vaccination card gets a bit of stout on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Leo reigned Tony in a week or two ago when he suggested younger people shouldn't travel so it's about time he did it again. I do feel Varadkar is the only one with the ability to stand up and be counted here and I'm hoping he does.

Big difference in advising on domestic issues rather than one that's trumped by the EU.

EU say what goes on digital cert for travel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

corcaigh07 wrote: »

Leo has at least occasionally snapped back at NPHET, Michael has never once criticised them, and the opposition parties think they should be followed to the letter of their advice or even beyond - PBP wanted zero covid strategy followed of total lockdown.

NPHET's advice last night really was a grenade, there were some little rumours of negative news, but forecasting 700k cases and giving cabinet 12 hours to dare ignore that risk?! No wonder they're all at sea. Cabinet went from possible delay of maybe somethings to planning to Summer is gone, nearly 3/4 of a million will be sick and school reopening snagged in the same space of a few hours we all did.

I can see NPHET's analysis being torn to pieces this week as other analysts get stuck into it, and of course we've the live experiment that is the UK to show us what easing actually does with a rampant Delta variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You’ll be a long time waiting ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Level 42 wrote: »

The irony is they will stroll into power after a massive protest vote at the next election. Enough though they've been advocating for stricter lockdown....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

lawred2 wrote: »

Their stance on alcohol and rapid antigen testing are ideological.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Think indoor play centres were mentioned yesterday.

Will they survive the cull.

Yeah once the kids don't drink pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as one of the many who have suffered mentally through lockdown, this article on the effects Lockdowns have on mental health seams to be totally ignored by those directing our path , namely NPHET and Tony Hollohan :-

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/major-rise-in-mental-health-referrals-and-relapses-during-lockdowns-survey-1.4606694?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Fmajor-rise-in-mental-health-referrals-and-relapses-during-lockdowns-survey-1.4606694

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement