Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Wales had zero covid deaths this week, first time since before the pandemic

Yet we're going to have over 2000 in the next 10 weeks?

How does that make sense to anyone?? Why is this not being questioned by every single person in government??

Pretty much the same as up North.
    They don't even have to look as far as Wales to know that Tony is telling Porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I think there will be. I'd say they go with an advisory in typical Irish fashion

Hope you're right but the Delta variant will see an increase in cases (although it will barely affect hospitalities and deaths) and that's enough to see prolonged closures in Augusts. Particularly with schools on the horizon.

Then the potential rise of your regular respiratory viruses will put the HSE under pressure. This level of restrictions or harsher until Xmas and beyond, with zero indoor hospitality, is my prediction. Barrell of fun I know but I just think it's likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

So on the 19th the North will be fully open while we'll still be deciding if familys can go for a meal indoors even when they're all fully vaccinated?

****ing farce

• Subscribers Posts: 41,527 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

two seconds of google shows this:

1. we have the highest rate of over 50s vaccinated in europe (92%)

2. the case fatality rate in under 50s is, worst case scenario 0.4% (Italy)

so some very quick maths says that if NPHETs "worse case" prediction of 2000 deaths by September, that assumes that they expect 500,000 cases (in under 50s!!) in that time :D

in 90 days, that means NPHET are predicting 5500 cases per day in under 50s :D

sweet jesus please let them release their modelling for review!!!

Worth remembering that Holohan has raked in €264,916 in salary since he demanded young workers sacrifice their livelihoods and small businessmen give up business which have been in many cases been in their families for generations.

We're not quite all in this together.
    sydthebeat wrote: »

This modelling needs to be released publicly, peer-reviewed, and validated.

If it emerges that there has been mendacity involved in putting together this data, then it is nothing less than a malicious sabotage of the economy and should be punished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

It’s sad that I’ve gone from admiring them through the first lockdown to disagreeing on certain things, to flat out rejecting their thinking. But now I actively hate and resent Tony Holohan, Philip Nolan’s and their mates. I hate them

I’ll get banned if I say what I think of Martin, Donnelly and co. They have destroyed this country for years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Worth remembering that Holohan has raked in €264,916 in salary since he demanded young workers sacrifice their livelihoods and small businessmen give up business which have been in many cases been in their families for generations.

We're not quite all in this together.

Don't forget he was also given the freedom of Dublin

Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

sydthebeat wrote: »
    two seconds of google shows this:

1. we have the highest rate of over 50s vaccinated in europe (92%)

2. the case fatality rate in under 50s is, worst case scenario 0.4% (Italy)

so some very quick maths says that if NPHETs "worse case" prediction of 2000 deaths by September, that assumes that they expect 500,000 cases (in under 50s!!) in that time :D

in 90 days, that means NPHET are predicting 5500 cases per day in under 50s :D

The other possibility is they're estimating a much higher death rate in under 50s from the Delta variant. That's also based on pure fantasy though, so either way they're just making it up as they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

RobitTV wrote: »
    Is this government beyond criticism?

They have been jumping from one disaster to the next. They aren't leaders. Fianna Fail is finished because of this crisis. Fine Gael will survive sadly.

No one is beyond criticism - just close your eyes and count to 10 buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Bridge93 wrote: »
    It’s sad that I’ve gone from admiring them through the first lockdown to disagreeing on certain things, to flat out rejecting their thinking. But now I actively hate and resent Tony Holohan, Philip Nolan’s and their mates. I hate them

I’ll get banned if I say what I think of Martin, Donnelly and co. They have destroyed this country for years to come

you are not alone.
    they are doing their level best to destroy the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

When are the media going to start asking the tough questions? They're letting the government away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

theballz wrote: »
    No one is beyond criticism - just close your eyes and count to 10 buddy

Thanks for clarifying the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Aph2016 wrote: »
    When are the media going to start asking the tough questions? They're letting the government away with murder.

I'd say in about 20 minutes at the end of the press conference. Seems to be a right row brewing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I'd say in about 20 minutes at the end of the press conference. Seems to be a right row brewing

So there's a conference today? :) Where will it be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

seamus wrote: »
    There's too much being made of this tbh. "Don't travel to virus hotspots without an appropriate vaccination" is long standing advice for all kinds of viruses. And people have always been free to ignore that advice just like they are now.

Are the guards not still harassing people at the airport?

If you think the long-standing "being free to ignore vaccination advice when going abroad" and "being threatened with a large fine or prison on your return to Ireland" are equivalent you've an interesting definition of freedom.

funnydoggy wrote: »

Shortly after 1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

funnydoggy wrote: »

Virgin media live Michael Martin to address the nation..

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/live/virgin-media-one/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

seamus wrote: »
    There's too much being made of this tbh. "Don't travel to virus hotspots without an appropriate vaccination" is long standing advice for all kinds of viruses. And people have always been free to ignore that advice just like they are now.

It would be very odd for NPHET to say that it's OK for unvaccinated people to travel. A PCR test doesn't prevent you from catching the virus, it's reactive rather than proactive.

Not really. The CMO and his emergency team are not in agreement with significant aspects of the EU wide Green Cert that has already been signed off. They believe only vaccinated people should travel using it. Not their place to be providing recommendations on something that is signed off by government/EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I can’t watch it. I can’t look at his ugly, patronising, condescending face and tone.
    The worst leader this country has had and will have for a very long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

iceage wrote: »
    Virgin media live Michael Martin to address the nation..

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/live/virgin-media-one/

What are the odds he'll start banging on about a new virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Don't they dare take my fúcking cinema :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,605 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

So if I work in a restaurant, inside, from Monday to Friday I am allowed be inside that restaurant and serve people.

But if I bring my mam to the same restaurant at the weekend on my day off, I won't be allowed inside the same restaurant.

Makes sense alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What about kids?

Never allowed out for a meal or to the cinema again???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah great here comes Voldemort

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

What about kids?

Never allowed out for a meal or to the cinema again???

Not in NPHETland no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Link for the announcement please? Video stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Best thing cabinet could do now is stall for time, give themselves 48 hours to get independent analysis of projections and make decisions then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

What are the odds he'll start banging on about a new virus?

He doesn't need to. Delta is here, numbers of Delta cases increasing here, B117 did the same and they dropped the ball with that. This has been coming for some time you just have to watch whats happened in the UK we are 2-3 weeks behind them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement