Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Only in Ireland

And here I was thinking we could have concerts and stuff back soon. Sure we're not allowed hug people till we're vaccinated

What has this country become

Nope. Not only in Ireland.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dezeen.com/2020/05/20/social-distancing-circles-domino-park-brooklyn/amp/

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Penfailed wrote: »

Any articles from this year?

Just shows how far off the mark Ireland was in 2020 when NY was encouraging outdoor amenities

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They've also been used in parts of the UK since last year...

Use in Toronto atm etc

https://www.cp24.com/news/physical-distancing-circles-returning-to-trinity-bellwoods-park-1.5399282?cache=almppngbro%3FclipId%3D89578

But obviously Ireland is the Worstest ever ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

That article is 1 year old. Are those painted circles still in Brooklyn?

gozunda wrote: »
    They've also been used in parts of the UK since last year...

But obviously Ireland is the Worstest ever ...

Last year they encouraged outdoor amenities in the UK & US

Meanwhile the police force in Ireland fined people walking outdoors past 5km of their homes

• Advertisement

That's not the point. The OP said, "Only in Ireland." I put up a link demonstrating that there's at least one other place that has done/is doing this...but yeah, go ahead and have another dig at the country you presumably live in. I find it hard to believe that you've lasted so long here and haven't moved off the island years ago, such is your complete distaste for the place.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

That article is 1 year old. Are those painted circles still in Brooklyn?

I really don't know. You've missed the point of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Only in Ireland

Would you accept hearts instead of circles now boss? If so see the UK as an example

https://visitbristol.co.uk/blog/read/2021/04/your-invitation-to-the-heart-of-the-city-b1290

Meanwhile the police force in Ireland fined people walking outdoors past 5km of their homes

Did they? Last year the UK had a strict Stay at Home policy with exercise locally restrictions

With police enforcement

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55560814

Last year in the US ...
    directives to keep people at home, which began in California in mid-March, quickly swept the nation....residents in a vast majority of states, the Navajo Nation and many cities and counties are under instructions to stay at home as much as possible, in an act of solidarity that public health experts say is crucial to controlling the virus.

This means at least 316 million people in at least 42 states, three counties, 10 cities, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico are being urged to stay home.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-stay-at-home-order.html

But absolutely Ireland is the Worstest ever ..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Just shows how far off the mark Ireland was in 2020 when NY was encouraging outdoor amenities

Last year. 2020.

You realise it's now 2021 and restrictions are being relaxed?

• Advertisement

That's not the point. The OP said, "Only in Ireland." I put up a link demonstrating that there's at least one other place that has done/is doing this...but yeah, go ahead and have another dig at the country you presumably live in. I find it hard to believe that you've lasted so long here and haven't moved off the island years ago, such is your complete distaste for the place.

I’ve only contempt for the place for the past 14 months

Before that you would never meet a prouder more community orientated Irish man

The community is dead now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I really don't know. You've missed the point of my post.

So the point of your post is that we are 1 year behind everywhere else?
    1 year ago we didn’t know that only 0.1% of spread was outdoors, now we do.

So the point of your post is that we are 1 year behind everywhere else?
    1 year ago we didn’t know that only 0.1% of spread was outdoors, now we do.

No, that wasn't the point. You've missed it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

All I’ll say is I’m thankful this isn’t coming out of the mouth of any of our ministers
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0508/1217646-ireland-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Gael23 wrote: »
    All I’ll say is I’m thankful this isn’t coming out of the mouth of any of our ministers
    This is the same northern Ireland that didn't give two hoots last year when the republic was trying to repress the disease and swarmed all around the country on their holidays,
    He also might want to head on down to the green isle hotel in Dublin and tell all the nordies to pack in there work down here and head home.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I’ve only contempt for the place for the past 14 months

Before that you would never meet a prouder more community orientated Irish man

Have to disagree on the last part of your post, kids have been back training in our area since last month and the GAA club (and I think soccer, but can't be certain) have been inundated with new, first time coaches. People just delighted to be able to get out of the house for an evening or two each week.

May not be the same in every area but the community feels even more alive as it slowly emerges from restrictions round here. Adult teams back from Monday too for training.

The light is there at the end of the tunnel, you just have to follow it Fintan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tony Holohan says vaccinated Grandparents can hug their Grandchildren from Monday.
    Not, Today tomorrow or Sunday but on Monday it becomes safe.
    It's great to have him protecting us.

#NPHETSCIENCE

https://twitter.com/breakingnewsie/status/1390710153188560896

3kma3w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

gozunda wrote: »
    Did they? Last year the UK had a strict Stay at Home policy with exercise locally restrictions

With police enforcement

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55560814

Last year in the US ...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-stay-at-home-order.html

But absolutely Ireland is the Worstest ever ..

April 2020, your honestly linking an article from a month after it all kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

I have worked in hospitality for the past 6 years on the phones taking reservations and I have genuinely never seen things as busy as they are now. It is actually insane how many people just want a night away.

The whole thing of people being locked up in the house and being afraid to go out over fear of catching Covid is long gone. The overwhelming majority just want normality to resume and the sooner they can get it the better.

niallo27 wrote: »
    April 2020, your honestly linking an article from a month after it all kicked off.

Nope.

Two different links of varying dates to cover the period "last year" as DETAILED by the OP.

You can find any number of articles in between if you search. But no matter.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's bad where you are. From what I've seen around here, it's stronger than ever.

Tony Holohan says vaccinated Grandparents can hug their Grandchildren from Monday.
    Not, Today tomorrow or Sunday but on Monday it becomes safe.
    It's great to have him protecting us.

#NPHETSCIENCE

https://twitter.com/breakingnewsie/status/1390710153188560896

So the good news that restrictions on social distancing are being lowered is a cause for derision of Tony Holohan and Nphet?
    OK...

I guess Tony and Nphet must be in cohoots with the UK then?

Even there with high levels of vaccinations they're still advising some caution for those looking for a hug ....

https://www.nationalworld.com/health/coronavirus/dominic-raab-warns-against-hugging-loved-ones-as-uk-enters-last-lap-in-coronavirus-fight-3222064

But if you're hankering for a hug. Here's a virtual one for you Norman

>>>>>>hugs<<<<<<

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Much like the prom in Bray this thread goes around in circles.

It’s mad how there are 2 entrenched perspectives here, I guess it very much depends on your personal situation as to which side you fall.

Personally I think it’s fantastic things are opening up, the pace around certain things is frustrating for people who want to get back to normal. People who are less affected or even content with restrictions are more frustrated at people wanting to open too quickly and vice versa.

I also ignore things like the CMO saying grandma and grandpa can hug their grandkids again. The word ‘allowed’ does trigger me as it’s a term used between parents and kids. When it comes to society it’s either legal/illegal or advise/not advised.
    However I do understand there are some older people who have been very scared for a long time and so they need to hear these words from an official source to actually believe it. I certainly won’t begrudge them that.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

It’s mad how there are 2 entrenched perspectives here, I guess it very much depends on your personal situation as to which side you fall.

Personally I think it’s fantastic things are opening up, the pace around certain things is frustrating for people who want to get back to normal. People who are less affected or even content with restrictions are more frustrated at people wanting to open too quickly and vice versa.

I also ignore things like the CMO saying grandma and grandpa can hug their grandkids again. The word ‘allowed’ does trigger me as it’s a term used between parents and kids. When it comes to society it’s either legal/illegal or advise/not advised.
    However I do understand there are some older people who have been very scared for a long time and so they need to hear these words from an official source to actually believe it. I certainly won’t begrudge them that.

There are two entrenched perspectives, yes. The strange thing is, both perspectives actually want the same thing IMHO. People want the place to open up. It's the speed of the opening that people differ on. Some want everything open now. At the other end of the spectrum are the people who are happy with what ever the government decide the pace should be. I was at the latter end of the spectrum for a good part of last year. I was also at that end of the spectrum at the very start of this year (bar construction closing). The rest of the time, I think things should have and could have moved more quickly. That's were the differences are as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Gael23 wrote: »

I'm curious, will the northern authorities be stopping southern cars at the border and asking what they are doing there or is this all up to the Irish government?
    I said it last year but we should have had that border closed to non essential travel until the entire island has reached herd immunity.
    Mandatory hotel quarantine but I can fly from Rome to Belfast and travel down and skip it.
    Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm curious, will the northern authorities be stopping southern cars at the border and asking what they are doing there or is this all up to the Irish government?
    I said it last year but we should have had that border closed to non essential travel until the entire island has reached herd immunity.
    Mandatory hotel quarantine but I can fly from Rome to Belfast and travel down and skip it.
    Madness.

Not a hope that will be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not a hope that will be enforced.

Border checks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Employers reporting employees to revenue and the department of social welfare who don't want to come back to work. Employers hoping to stay open all night. Get back to work. People who have been working form home all year want to buy plastic tat.

They have set up a tout line

From the independent.ie

"It said this is to enable employers to report staff who are not willing to return to work while continuing to claim PUP. More than 3,000 cases were investigated, but the vast majority did not involve misclaiming.

“We would nevertheless encourage employers to continue to submit details to us where they come across reluctance of staff to return to work,” the spokesperson said."

It’s mad how there are 2 entrenched perspectives here, I guess it very much depends on your personal situation as to which side you fall. Personally I think it’s fantastic things are opening up, the pace around certain things is frustrating for people who want to get back to normal. People who are less affected or even content with restrictions are more frustrated at people wanting to open too quickly and vice versa. I also ignore things like the CMO saying grandma and grandpa can hug their grandkids again. The word ‘allowed’ does trigger me as it’s a term used between parents and kids. When it comes to society it’s either legal/illegal or advise/not advised.

I'd reckon like most dedicated threads - current topics get reviewed regularly.

That said there's as many different points of view on restrictions as there are people on the prom in Bray or whatever analogy you wish to use.

As to what the CMO said re grandparents and hugs. It would appear from the link that was a reply to a question posed by a journalist. Ie "(he) has confirmed".

It is laughable that there are those who seem to get genuinly outraged over tabloid style headlines designed for clicks. They should be given only the weight they deserve...

As for the old scared people - thats seems more a meme that some seem to use regardless of any veracity tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

bear1 wrote: »
    Madness.

The madness would have been in thinking it was possible.
    The British army and all the Northern Ireland security forces spent 30 years try and could not do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement