Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm curious, will the northern authorities be stopping southern cars at the border and asking what they are doing there or is this all up to the Irish government?
    I said it last year but we should have had that border closed to non essential travel until the entire island has reached herd immunity.
    Mandatory hotel quarantine but I can fly from Rome to Belfast and travel down and skip it.
    Madness.

Thailand had a strict quarantine policy but border jumpers along the land border have now caused a massive outbreak after having no community transmission most of last year, it's just too hard to manage

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Much like the prom in Bray this thread goes around in circles.

It’s mad how there are 2 entrenched perspectives here, I guess it very much depends on your personal situation as to which side you fall.

Personally I think it’s fantastic things are opening up, the pace around certain things is frustrating for people who want to get back to normal. People who are less affected or even content with restrictions are more frustrated at people wanting to open too quickly and vice versa.

I also ignore things like the CMO saying grandma and grandpa can hug their grandkids again. The word ‘allowed’ does trigger me as it’s a term used between parents and kids. When it comes to society it’s either legal/illegal or advise/not advised.
    However I do understand there are some older people who have been very scared for a long time and so they need to hear these words from an official source to actually believe it. I certainly won’t begrudge them that.

I don`t believe it is a case of people being content with restrictions. I don`t know anyone who is content with them and doesn`t want them gone as soon as possible.
    The frustration is that some cannot understand why those that are calling for them to be gone in the morning cannot remember how that has worked out in the last 14 months when it was attempted on even a limited scale.

We do seem to be getting to the stage where most see that vaccines are our best bet for opening without having to go back into lockdown, but yet cannot understand that doing so has to be in stages and at levels of vaccinations. They still cannot appear to see that countries attempted to open up at a level were quickly back where they started by getting it wrong.

It this stage I am of the belief that this "Tony is our overlord" nonsense is just being posted for no other reason than to wind people up, or that those posting are doing so for the number of thanks they get. The government conspiracy theories that they want to keep us in some kind of terror by keeping us in lockdown are not much different imo. Not only does it not make any practical sense, it makes even less political sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Border checks?

Where? All 300 odd of them?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

gozunda wrote: »
    I'd reckon like most dedicated threads - current topics get reviewed regularly.

That said there's as many different points of view on restrictions as there are people on the prom in Bray or whatever analogy you wish to use.

As to what the CMO said re grandparents and hugs. It would appear from the link that was a question posed by a journalist. Ie "he was able to confirm".

It is laughable that there are those who seem to get genuinly outraged over tabloid style headlines designed for clicks. They should be given only the weight they deserve...

As for the old scared people - thats seems more a meme that some seem to use regardless of any veracity tbf.

Most people don’t watch the briefings so depend on the articles, I accept headlines are there to generate click through but radio and tv journalists use the ‘allowed’ all the time. I have older parents in law who are no meme when it comes to being scared and needing the nod from Dr T to feel comfortable doing things like hugging grand kids. My parents are polar opposite. Just because you don’t know older people like my in laws doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty like them.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Penfailed wrote: »

Some of them would need a number of checkpoints a short distance apart on roads that meander in and out of both jurisdictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Fantastic in Bray yesterday.

Really got a great sense of joy and optimism. People enjoying themselves and looking forward.
    Damn those Martello cocktails are strong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I'd say the covid fanatics are starting to wonder what they will focus their energy on now we are near the end. What will they replace the briefings with? Reading death notices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    I'd say the covid fanatics are starting to wonder what they will focus their energy on now we are near the end. What will they replace the briefings with? Reading death notices?

Don't worry it'll be around a while yet, e.g. there will be talk of booster shots next year and maybe we need to lockdown to roll those out, there will be other variants etc.

The Lockdown question will always be not too far away from people's minds for all scenarios with covid from now on. New medicines to be discussed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You can see it in this thread already. The handful of dogged posters are the only regular posters left.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Funnily enough I was thinking the same about the open everything yesterday fanatics now that they are going to have progressively less and less to moan about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Penfailed wrote: »

I was asking if this is what the poster meant, not a tongue in cheek response to their post.

I was asking if this is what the poster meant, not a tongue in cheek response to their post.

According to your good self you wanted the border sealed last year and it was just as impossible to do then as it is now.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    You can see it in this thread already. The handful of dogged posters are the only regular posters left.

Of late, the last two weeks especially, it certainly looks as if more here have realised that vaccination levels and phased openings are the way forward alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

We had a great trip to Dublin Zoo today from the west.
    Not one checkpoint to or from there in the eight counties we passed through.
    No mask wearing in the Zoo bar the bathrooms, good to see so many people enjoying life again.
    Glorious days in the park with people in great spirits.
    The lockdown crew must be livid.

Good to hear but for those of us who want to have a meal indoors a coffee indoors and a pint indoors not to mention a holiday there’s still a bit to go!

We had a great trip to Dublin Zoo today from the west.
    Not one checkpoint to or from there in the eight counties we passed through.
    No mask wearing in the Zoo bar the bathrooms, good to see so many people enjoying life again.
    Glorious days in the park with people in great spirits.
    The lockdown crew must be livid.

Yawn.

All this “lockdown crew must be livid” nonsense being aimed at those who said pretty much exactly what is happening is what would happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

charlie14 wrote: »
    Of late, the last two weeks especially, it certainly looks as if more here have realised that vaccination levels and phased openings are the way forward alright.

You mean since the remarkable change of tone from NPHET and the Government....which caught a load of posters off guard.

For months posters here have pointed to the absurdity of the level 5 lock down 3 months on from the end of Jan, the point where we started testing healthy people once again which was clearly going to have an affect on the amount of people admitted to hospital per 1,000 cases therefore making the importance of daily case numbers much less pertinent.

What we are reopening now could have been done safely in March.

My opinion, like others, is based on nearly 60 weeks of Irish data available to us, for 12 weeks of that our Health System was under pressure, less than what it would normally experience. Outside of that 12 week period (2 six week surges)...most restrictions are a waste of time....Rapid Antigen Tests could be used effectively to allow much more activity.

I'd say the shift we saw two weeks ago was a combination of the massive cost and the increasing amount of people who were no longer buying into the fear and anxiety of the next deadly variant, which was evident in every town and city centre in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

This is almost bizarre from Nolan.
    NPHET were clearly rattled by Lidl's tweet.

https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1391095650750709769

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Rapid Antigen Tests are like theraputics when it comes to this virus it seems....the anti science chatter of the far right or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rapid Antigen Tests are like theraputics when it comes to this virus it seems....the anti science chatter of the far right or some such.

Any country use antigen tests ??? If so there wrong as our experts here know what there talking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This is almost bizarre from Nolan.
    NPHET were clearly rattled by Lidl's tweet.

https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1391095650750709769

I'd say its more correct to say he seems to have upset the sceptics on Twitter ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yawn.

All this “lockdown crew must be livid” nonsense being aimed at those who said pretty much exactly what is happening is what would happen

What exactly did you guys say would happen, we would be the slowest in Europe to relax any restrictions. Do you not realise that's the problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

niallo27 wrote: »
    What exactly did you guys say would happen, we would be the slowest in Europe to relax any restrictions. Do you not realise that's the problem.

I think the only people that appear to have a problem are those that 'think' we're the slowest in Europe.

Everyone else is happy to see the restrictions being relaxed and the vaccination program move on.

Graham wrote: »
    I think the only people that appear to have a problem are those that 'think' we're the slowest in Europe.

Everyone else is happy to see the restrictions being relaxed and the vaccination program move on.

Correct yes, that is the problem.

I don't think every restaurant owner in the country is happy, do you. They haven't a clue when they are opening unless they put a few tables outside. Do you think they are happy. How about pub owners. How about people in the entertainment industry. Are they happy, but hey **** them Graham is happy he is making money.

I don't think every restaurant owner in the country is happy, do you. They haven't a clue when they are opening unless they put a few tables outside. Do you think they are happy. How about pub owners. How about people in the entertainment industry. Are they happy

I'd imagine they don't have a problem with restrictions being relaxed.

You're the one shifting the goalposts here (again).
    but hey **** them Graham is happy he is making money.

You have less than no clue about my position, financial or otherwise so you'll excuse me if I completely disregard your incredibly unnecessary, petty and personal opinion about my circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

charlie14 wrote: »
    According to your good self you wanted the border sealed last year and it was just as impossible to do then as it is now.

We closed the borders except the most obvious one which still lets people bypass certain checks.
    They've closed it before (mad cow I think?) So it could be done again in theory.
    Obviously it's pointless now but I'm curious by the article itself and what they expect the government to do.

I'd imagine they don't have a problem with restrictions being relaxed.

You're the one shifting the goalposts here (again).

You have less than no clue about my position, financial or otherwise so you'll excuse me if I completely disregard your incredibly unnecessary, petty and personal opinion about my circumstances.

Of course they have a problem, they haven't a clue when they are opening and are losing their staff to hotels who can open. You honestly think restaurant owners are OK with this. Apologies for the personal remark, it was uncalled for and your right I haven't a clue.

Of course they have a problem, they haven't a clue when they are opening and are losing their staff to hotels who can open. You honestly think restaurant owners are OK with this.

They would be in a worse position were we to open too soon, see all those business open, only for them to all be closed down again a few weeks later.

Do you not recall that exact scenario happening previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Who do you 'think' has been slower in Europe with our caseload?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

They would be in a worse position were we to open too soon, see all those business open, only for them to all be closed down again a few weeks later.

Do you not recall that exact scenario happening previously?

Previous performance is no guarantee of?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement