Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

gansi wrote: »
    Today was a pretty mild and balmy day and pretty pleasant. Haven’t seen any places locally with outdoor dining yet though. Must vary from place to place.

I went to Kildare for a take away meal and stood outside a gastropub there with seating(waiting to collect), which was full outside, had to wait 10 minutes and was frozen.

On a separate note they hadn't the toilets open, is this the difference between takeaway and "outdoor dining" if it is it's madness, open the toilets and regulate it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mightyreds wrote: »
    I went to Kildare for a take away meal and stood outside a gastropub there with seating(waiting to collect), which was full outside, had to wait 10 minutes and was frozen.

On a separate note they hadn't the toilets open, is this the difference between takeaway and "outdoor dining" if it is it's madness, open the toilets and regulate it

Don't think outdoor toilets are. Park in local town has toilets open. I reckon not having toilets is a decision by the business itself rather than any current restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

gozunda wrote: »
    Don't think outdoor toilets are. Park in local town has toilets open. I reckon that was a decision by the business itself rather than any current restriction.

You don't see the problem and the solution in your post?

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    You don't see the problem and the solution in your post?

Businesses providing toilets whilst providing 'take-away services- or?

No restrictions stopping toilets being made available afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

mightyreds wrote: »

I'm in Cork, and actually I find it almost offensive here seeing hundreds of people gathering on quaysides, in parks etc drinking their takeaway pints, I don't have an issue with the takeaway pints, in this milder weather off licence drinks or pub takeaway would equal the same thing, what upsets me is that many people find it acceptable that we currently accept this lifestyle as normal, its not !!, beer gardens and all outdoor facilities should be open, Ireland has about a 12 week period where its possible to have an outdoor social life, and it is right now. There is a generation losing out on life experiences, on young love etc and another generation who will be dead this time next year.
    We've lost enough time and life already, its time to at least open all outdoor facilities, immediately.

• Advertisement

corkonion wrote: »
    I'm in Cork, and actually I find it almost offensive here seeing hundreds of people gathering on quaysides, in parks etc drinking their takeaway pints, I don't have an issue with the takeaway pints, in this milder weather off licence drinks or pub takeaway would equal the same thing, what upsets me is that many people find it acceptable that we currently accept this lifestyle as normal, its not !!, beer gardens and all outdoor facilities should be open, Ireland has about a 12 week period where its possible to have an outdoor social life, and it is right now. There is a generation losing out on life experiences, on young love etc and another generation who will be dead this time next year.
    We've lost enough time and life already, its time to at least open all outdoor facilities, immediately.

Twelve weeks to have an outdoor social life, but then that means a guaranteed good summer of weather and that happens rarely. With the outdoor dining people will go home with the first drop of rain who wouldn’t - it’s not realistic bar we roofed the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

I follow a 4 star hotel in Galway and they have announced their full re-opening for the 17th May. Their bookings are also open on their website from 17th May. I thought the government had not approved overnight stays until June. Am I mistaken or is it okay for me to book a night next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hotels open at the moment you just need to have an essential reason to stay.
    I'd assume the hotel your looking at will have to ask what your reason for staying before June is.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

gansi wrote: »
    Twelve weeks to have an outdoor social life, but then that means a guaranteed good summer of weather and that happens rarely. With the outdoor dining people will go home with the first drop of rain who wouldn’t - it’s not realistic bar we roofed the country.

The apple market area in Waterford imo is an example of how the outdoor stuff could happen for more than the usual few weeks in summer. The put a roof type structure on street.i was in Waterford a couple of years and thought it was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Alot of hotels have remained open during level 5 for the use by essential workers and people travelling for essential reasons. I travel a good bit for work and stay in hotels, each time when checking in Ive had to produce a letter from employer stating my travel is essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What makes it more confusing, if those people had to go to a HSE run Primary Care centre they could sit inside, have coffee, food, in the comfort of an indoor cafe and stay as long as they like the whole way through the lock down....

Granted, the one's I was in weren't selling pints!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

what upsets me is that many people find it acceptable that we currently accept this lifestyle as normal

Don't upset yourself. Nobody considers this lifestyle is normal.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

gozunda wrote: »
    Businesses open toilets whilst providing 'take-away services- or?

No restrictions stopping toilets being open afaik

You could try adopting the practice of washing your hands.

cnocbui wrote: »
    You could try adopting the practice of washing your hands.

Eh?

I always wash my hands - thanks all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Hotel quarantine for Italy and Austria removed. 11 countries abruptly removed.
    Wonder if the EU had a little chat with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

bear1 wrote: »

'Abruptly removed'? How else would it be done? If the EU had a 'little chat' with them, surely all the EU countries would have been removed from the list, no?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

bear1 wrote: »

Do you think the EU had a chat with them about the other 9 that are not members of the E.U. as well ?

RGS wrote: »
    The apple market area in Waterford imo is an example of how the outdoor stuff could happen for more than the usual few weeks in summer. The put a roof type structure on street.i was in Waterford a couple of years and thought it was a good idea.

Interesting article here around the whole subject
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/restaurants-with-no-outdoor-dining-space-discriminated-against-1.4552522?mode=amp

Seems some restaurants unhappy that indoor dining will be permitted for hotel guests from June 7 while dining guests at restaurants will have to sit outside.Outdoor space an issue for some restaurants too.Possible conversion of street space and car parking space to outdoor dining space. The weather mentioned as well.

Will be interesting to see how it all works out. Wonder will people book hotel breaks knowing they can dine indoors. Could definitely see this having appeal for some. Just think so much depends on the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Really can't wait to get vaccinated and hopefully soon can go back to close to normal society.

I'm 43 so I have a bit to wait yet, but it's positive to see opening up and numbers of infections not increasing drastically.

As the restrictions ease more hopefully numbers won't rise as vaccinations continues

Slane 2022 anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Slane 2022 anyone?

Certainly hope so!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Really can't wait to get vaccinated and hopefully soon can go back to close to normal society.

I'm 43 so I have a bit to wait yet, but it's positive to see opening up and numbers of infections not increasing drastically.

As the restrictions ease more hopefully numbers won't rise as vaccinations continues

Slane 2022 anyone?

Hopefully you will not have to wait too long. First dose they are doing a year roughly every 2 days at the moment and expect get through the 50 -59 group in the next weeek or so.
    There is a very good vaccination thread here on Boards.ie. Keeping an eye on it would give you a good idea as to when your year is likely for their first shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

Interesting how there are reports today that shops cannot fill vacancies. It’s almost as if people don’t want to work & continue to sit at home on the PUP indefinitely - which has been eagerly encourage by the State & NPHET for the past year.
    I expect restaurants will also have this problem when they reopen.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was talk of a Universal Basic Income as the year progresses. Isn't a huge expansion of the welfare state via a UBI part of the World Economic Forum's Great Reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

He said the Government and people who are making up the rules “don’t give an ounce of intelligence to anybody”.

“Let us use our own bit of common sense,” he added.

“There are too many people who love this old messing - making rules for everyone and telling others what to do. I don’t tell anyone what to do. I invite them and try to get them to see for themselves what way mass is being said.

He's spot on with that one. There's definitely a cohort who fit this description - from telling tales on their neighbours to grandstanding about how compliant they are.

Good ole Irish begrudgery - either trying to keep up the Joneses, or bothering about what they're getting/getting away with.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    He's spot on with that one. There's definitely a cohort who fit this description - from telling tales on their neighbours to grandstanding about how compliant they are.

Good ole Irish begrudgery - either trying to keep up the Joneses, or bothering about what they're getting/getting away with.
    “There are too many people who love this old messing - making rules for everyone and telling others what to do.

This priest has to be taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Out for my walk in town this morning, and it perked me right up seeing hairdressers etc. putting in the final touches ahead of re-opening tomorrow.

At least three cafes in town too have got permission from the council to commandeer a couple of parking spaces outside their front and have already put down sectioned-off areas for outdoor dining. Of course it has attracted the usual blow-hards on social media complaining about taking up parking spaces, breathing in exhaust fumes etc. (including from one lad who doesn't even drive).

There are also a couple of boutiques, who have made a bomb from online shopping, undergoing renovations ahead of their re-opening from the 17th, while I have been told a few of the pubs are cleaning up yards to accommodate outdoor drinking.

While I still maintain most of the businesses mentioned above should have re-opened already, it's still marvellous to see a bit of stimulus in the locality. Most pleasing walk I have had in a while.

Things are getting back to normal.

Today was the first day since Christmas that anything felt normal. Even at Christmas, we had dinner under a shadow, but today in my house, all the little nieces and nephews were here, playing, and all of the family had lunch together — outdoors, but sheltered — for the first time in months.

It's a day early, but I trust nobody will report me to the guards. I think it was the happiest day we had as a family in 14 months. My mum volunteers as a bus driver for kids with disability, so she's now fully vaccinated. Seeing her being able to hug the kids, and being able to hug us, was a relief I can't describe in words.

I know we are not strictly adhering to the rules in the hugging thing, although Colm Henry (HSE Clinical Lead) said it's ok if the vaccinated person is part of your 'bubble' — we live on the same property.

It's just such a relief. Who would have imagined we would ever take such enjoyment from ordinary family interactions? I have a smile affixed to my face today that hasn't been this genuine in ages — I hope you are all enjoying it, or will do so soon.

This priest has to be taking the piss

Sounds like it, or he really hasn`t thought it through.
    That is unless he believes "Let us use our bit of common sense" should be applied universally to all regulations. Drink driving being just one.

He does seem like a lad with a bit of a brass neck supporting a head with a poor memory. A priest giving out about "making rules for others and telling other what to do" reads like comic irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

charlie14 wrote: »
    Sounds like it, or he really hasn`t thought it through.
    That is unless he believes "Let us use our bit of common sense" should be applied universally to all regulations. Drink driving being just one.

He does seem like a lad with a bit of a brass neck supporting a head with a poor memory. A priest giving out about "making rules for others and telling other what to do" reads like comic irony.

Yeah because some people going to mass during a pandemic is EXACTLY the same as drink driving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement