Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I see the PCR testing for travel is also set to continue well after everyone is vaccinated - utter utter madness ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I see the PCR testing for travel is also set to continue well after everyone is vaccinated - utter utter madness ...

I thought that if you can show your vaccinated you don't need a PCR??

From https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/hotel_quarantine.html
    If you have been fully vaccinated and you have the documents to prove this, you do not have to quarantine at a designated hotel. Any dependents travelling with you, including children, will also be exempted from the requirement to complete mandatory hotel quarantine. You can quarantine at home or at the place of residence stated on your passenger locator form. You still must have a negative pre-departure PCR test.

Utter joke, as usual buracreacy months behind reality, maybe after months of covid not being an issue they might remove the PCR restriction for vaccinated people - but I woudln't hold my breath.

So summer 2022 minimum for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You will need to have a PCR until the EU passport scheme is in place probably then it'll be one of 3, vaccine, test or proof of prior infection.

After that you'll probably be grand, some point during the summer, more than likely later part of July / start of August

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You will do until the EU passport scheme is in place probably then it'll be one of 3, vaccine, test or proof of prior infection.

After that you'll probably be grand, some point during the summer, more than likely later part of July / start of August

The way I understood it was that for the time being even fully vaccinated people will need the test. There are a few countries which are phrasing it this way anyway.
    If that's the case then I can't see what the point was in all of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

bear1 wrote: »
    The way I understood it was that for the time being even fully vaccinated people will need the test. There are a few countries which are phrasing it this way anyway.
    If that's the case then I can't see what the point was in all of it

Yes as it stands anyone coming into the country needs to have a PCR with them.

That'll all change once the EU system is up and running when you need 1 of the 3.

Luke O'Neil sounding quite chuffed on Newstalk this morning. A new study points to masks not being required after vaccination. He made the point for people not to go tearing masks off just yet, but said it's very promising.

He was also talking about how much progress has been made this past year with all of the focus and research on Coronaviruses, that we should never fall to one in such a way again.

Luke O'Neil sounding quite chuffed on Newstalk this morning. A new study points to masks not being required after vaccination. He made the point for people not to go tearing masks off just yet, but said it's very promising.

He was also talking about how much progress has been made this past year with all of the focus and research on Coronaviruses, that we should never fall to one in such a way again.

This is the same Luke O Neill that said masks were not needed at the beginning, now he says you should wear one all the time even when alone walking in a forest..

Yeah, reliable bloke allright...

This is the same Luke O Neill that said masks were not needed at the beginning, now he says you should wear one all the time even when alone walking in a forest..

I find that hard to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Fairly certain I just heard Pat Kenny referring to today as magical Monday

A day when we reopened after 4.5 month’s what France or the rest of Europe never actually closed

The infantilism of Irish citizens is complete

• Advertisement

I find that hard to believe

Obviously an exagerration, but I find it amazing the way he has gone from mask skeptic to full on mask cultist in the space of months - and is never called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

He also said we should be keeping masks for busy indoor settings after the pandemic is over (during flu season I presume).

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

He also said we should be keeping masks for busy indoor settings after the pandemic is over (during flu season I presume).

Yep, a very dangerous authoritarian controlling individual, but he is a "Scientist" so we must unquestioningly trust him and his infinite wisdom.

Obviously an exagerration, but I find it amazing the way he has gone from mask skeptic to full on mask cultist in the space of months - and is never called out on it.

Ah, I see, another one in the great thread tradition of making sh*t up to get angry about

This chat literally started by a poster referencing a twitter post by the individual under discussion where he stated the evidence was starting to support the lifting of the requirement for masks following vaccination.

You couldn't make it up, except by and large, ye do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Luke O’Neill was definitely advocating mask wearing from very early on in the pandemic. He and PK used to bemoan how the government refused to follow the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

I’ve tried searching but haven’t found a answer, can we now travel across the border or is inter county travel just for the republic.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nibs05 wrote: »
    I’ve tried searching but haven’t found a answer, can we now travel across the border or is inter county travel just for the republic.

Thanks
    Nobody will stop you although a health minister up north did have something to say last week about it.

Ah, I see, another one in the great thread tradition of making sh*t up to get angry about

Nope point stands, look at what he has said about indoor mask wearing after all this, you don't find it strange the way his opinion has changed ?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Luke O’Neill was definitely advocating mask wearing from very early on in the pandemic. He and PK used to bemoan how the government refused to follow the line.

Eh .... check the LLS video I just posted..

• Advertisement

This chat literally started by a poster referencing a twitter post by the individual under discussion where he stated the evidence was starting to support the lifting of the requirement for masks following vaccination.

You couldn't make it up, except by and large, ye do

Make what up? That a former mask sceptic celebrity scientist is now advocating getting rid of masks when vaccinations have help win the war against Covid-19 but reintroduce them to all indoor setting where there are large gatherings every winter because of risks unknown and known like flu.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Allinall

Nope point stands, look at what he has said about indoor mask wearing after all this, you don't find it strange the way his opinion has changed ?

Why would one be surprised that his opinion has changed?

That was at the start of the virus, and very little was known about it.

It's the mark of a person who is willing to change their position as more evidence and information becomes available, rather than stick rigidly to one viewpoint, which may be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Opinions can change as more data and evidence is provided, this situation has been evolving all year to be fair.

You seem to have a very blinkered and negative stance judging by the last few pages.

Allinall wrote: »

It's the mark of a person who is willing to change their position as more evidence and information becomes available, rather than stick rigidly to one viewpoint, which may be completely wrong.

Masks and respiratory illnesses have been around a long time, masks work the same with covid as they do with others ...

Irony is Luke O Neill was closer to the truth at the beginning of all this, he has since become an authoritarian little jackboot..

Allinall wrote: »

But mask wearing is not very effective in most settings at this point, everywhere you go now people are wearing chin hammocks or pulling them out of there pocket or handbag. Tiny percentage using them correctly.

Funnily enough NEPHT were reluctant to advise bringing them in at the beginning because they would give people a false sense of security and some products gave minimal protection anyway- much the same way as they view antigen tests now.

Fairly certain I just heard Pat Kenny referring to today as magical Monday

A day when we reopened after 4.5 month’s what France or the rest of Europe never actually closed

The infantilism of Irish citizens is complete

+1

There was a very good article in Indo (of all rags) last week, which neatly capped the debasement of the Irish public:

The lockdown spin on Stockholm Syndrome is a play on the psychological phenomenon where captives feel love for their captor.

Psychiatrist Frank Ochberg defined it as follows: “First, people experience something terrifying out of the blue. Then, a form of infantilisation. Small acts of kindness prompt a primitive gratitude for the gift of life.”

What you call opinion, is actually science - eg. assessing available evidence, formulating hypothesises and continually revising as evidence emerges. The person to be more suspicious about is the one who's view does not change in the face of an evolving situation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    See there you go again, conflating a single priest speaking out as representative of the whole of the Catholic Church past and present. It might suit YOUR narrative to try and pidgeonhole every comment or statement you disagree with into a "side" so it makes sense to you and you can dismiss it easily, but the reality is that most arguments and indeed people have multiple different sides to them. As I've said before, it's entirely possible to agree with someone on one thing, but completely disagree with them on another, or if you prefer, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. That's why the messenger isn't so important as the actual content of their message.
    I may agree with this priest on this particular issue, but it doesn't follow that I automatically agree with everything else that he or his Church say/have said or do/have done - see how that works? This isn't Twitter. Things in the real world can't be broken down into 160 character arguments, and there is no simplistic "us vs them/you're with us or against us" solution.
    It's deeply worrying though that this is the new level that passes for debate of serious and far-reaching issues though, and it's not restricted to social media. Politicians like Leo, McEntee, Harris and Donnelly are equally showing themselves to be led by simplistic arguments on Twitter, and making decisions based on what they think will get them the most "likes" and approval, not what is the correct but perhaps harder decision. Social media definitely has its uses and value as a means of communication and information, but it is certainly not something that people or indeed Governments should be relying on to make informed judgements and decisions.

You see that's not the point made at all. But no matter.

You are correct this isn' twitter and thank you for the essay. Though pretty pointless all the same.

+1

There was a very good article in Indo (of all rags) last week, which neatly capped the debasement of the Irish public:

The lockdown spin on Stockholm Syndrome is a play on the psychological phenomenon where captives feel love for their captor.

Psychiatrist Frank Ochberg defined it as follows: “First, people experience something terrifying out of the blue. Then, a form of infantilisation. Small acts of kindness prompt a primitive gratitude for the gift of life.”

Ok Sigmund

• Advertisement

Ireland is basically where we were at in Spain in January - shops open, tennis open, gyms open (are gyms even open?) ... It's good that it's finally happening, but it should have been a lot earlier.

Spain has had no outbreaks related to any of these openings (schools have also been fully open since September) - but of course that's becuase we have to wear masks outside ...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is the only thing I am critical about with Spain, mask wearing outside - even in outdoor spaces where you are completely alone.

But a small price to pay to be able to eat in restaurants / play tennis/ go to non grocery shops since last summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement