Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus felt so nice to go in and get a haircut . Only thing missing was a cheeky pint after

Not into pre booking retail so I'll wait til next week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

i thought everyone in europe was waiting to hit the magical 50 percent vaccininations and to follow the science that the uk reopening is providing us...
    looks like as per usual we are behind behind the curve.

in this article we are the only country waiting till june for outdoor dining.
    https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-how-europe-plans-to-reopen/a-57380371

Make no mistake, Ireland are still the most suppressed.

When does MHQ end?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I went to the Library today first trip 2021 and I loved it. After library time I cooked a keralan fish curry then sat in the garden and am halfway through library book The Friend by Sigrid Numez strongly recommend to GreatDane and doglovers New York style.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Absolutely.

If you remember back a few weeks when RTE reported hourly that France had entered a “severe lockdown” (less severe than Ireland’s for the last 5 months) and made a point of highlighting the restrictions in France.

France have now got a faster roadmap than Ireland announced today, must see is there anything on RTE later about that

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thelocal.fr/20210511/cafes-shops-cinemas-how-france-will-ease-covid-restrictions-from-next-week/%3famp

Paddy can get his gruaig cut since yesterday so he’s happy out, something the french man could always get done

They even announced concerts and stadium games up to 5k people from 7th June.
    And any other type of events >1000 people (even indoor) on the 30th of June.

Outdoor gatherings of more > 15people are not even on the calendar in Ireland. A running club cannot make a training session with more than 15people, even if they are running socially distanced in large parks like Phoenix Park. But sure "outdoor is safe and is the priority" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I prefer Irelands slow relaxation of restrictions, the french top class health system is underpressure especially their ICUs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

i thought everyone in europe was waiting to hit the magical 50 percent vaccininations and to follow the science that the uk reopening is providing us...
    looks like as per usual we are behind behind the curve.

in this article we are the only country waiting till june for outdoor dining.
    https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-how-europe-plans-to-reopen/a-57380371

From your comment I was expecting to find all other countries were far ahead of us,
    however here is what I found ...

For eg. Germany
    "Most German states still have a seven-day incidence above 100 per 100,000,
    meaning restrictive policies will continue in most of the country for now.
    Only Schleswig-Holstein and the city-state of Hamburg are below 100."

France
    "France plans to loosen restrictive measures at the beginning of May,
    lifting domestic travel restrictions but maintaining an evening curfew (7pm)"

Austria
    "The Austrian government has announced that all shops and
    restaurants will be allowed to reopen starting from May 19,
    although certain limitations would be still in place."

Denmark
    "Denmark reopened bars, restaurants, cafes, museums
    and libraries last week, but coronavirus passports are required to enter"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Make no mistake, Ireland are still the most suppressed.

When does MHQ end?.

It will end when the EU make them end it I would think, the same as the only reason we are relaxing the restrictions here is because of Northern Ireland and people have stop giving a ****. The government's hand has to be forced on everything. The fact we couldn't host one of the euro matches is another damning indictment of them and their lack of vision.

zebastein wrote: »
    They even announced concerts and stadium games up to 5k people from 7th June.
    And any other type of events >1000 people (even indoor) on the 30th of June.

Outdoor gatherings of more > 15people are not even on the calendar in Ireland. A running club cannot make a training session with more than 15people, even if they are running socially distanced in large parks like Phoenix Park. But sure "outdoor is safe and is the priority" :pac:

Can someone highlight what purpose NPHET have served for 14 months now?

There is about 40 of them on the team

Surely a random drunk of the street could have said just make sure Ireland is slower than other countries. That’s the height of NPHET’s contribution to Ireland’s roadmap

Oh and using social media to have be a smart arse and get called out by scientists and medics across the globe

We’re still a laughing stock

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The health system is getting overwhelmed for the first time in 15 months.

https://twitter.com/ingridmileyRTE/status/1392139791744053252

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

And yet if we go to Belgium we have to do 2 weeks MHQ on return (unless you're a politician)

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1392157355756986373

• Advertisement

PintOfView wrote: »
    From your comment I was expecting to find all other countries were far ahead of us,
    however here is what I found ...

For eg. Germany
    "Most German states still have a seven-day incidence above 100 per 100,000,
    meaning restrictive policies will continue in most of the country for now.
    Only Schleswig-Holstein and the city-state of Hamburg are below 100."

France
    "France plans to loosen restrictive measures at the beginning of May,
    lifting domestic travel restrictions but maintaining an evening curfew (7pm)"

Austria
    "The Austrian government has announced that all shops and
    restaurants will be allowed to reopen starting from May 19,
    although certain limitations would be still in place."

Denmark
    "Denmark reopened bars, restaurants, cafes, museums
    and libraries last week, but coronavirus passports are required to enter"

The article is from the 29th of April. Outdoor dining will be open in them all from the 19th of may . We are 3 weeks behind the slowest country in the list besides us Austria. Outdoor dining is the 10th of June here so yes we are a good bit behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In my search for a time series of trolley numbers (which I haven't found yet) I came across this interesting snippet from 2016.

Daily trolley statistics for 8am are poor metric for healthcare
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/daily-trolley-statistics-for-8am-are-poor-metric-for-healthcare-1.2827150

The real crisis will start very soon.

Ireland’s myopic approach to healthcare will likely cost far more life years than it ever saved.

Many of us can always hold our heads high and say I never supported it

Ireland’s myopic approach to healthcare will likely cost far more life years than it ever saved.

Your service will never be forgotten. Let’s start the petition for the memorial wall in the garden of remembrance

All I can say to that is,
    thankfully enough people supported it to make it successful.
    And you likely benefited from it too,
    unless you are from an extended family of one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Have NPHET done any projections as to how much excess death we can expect from the disruption to the Health Service over the last 14 months?

You could be looking at a few thousand given the serious nature of Cancers and Heart Disease....

Thousands of screenings and procedures were cancelled

Private hospitals lay empty for months last year

So if you support that, you support choosing who get access to healthcare

I wouldn’t be grateful for those in support of that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

It was illegal to cross a county boundary for unnecessary purposes, but in the moment the wheels of your car pass into NI, that rule no longer applies. As of today, you can go anywhere on the island.

I wouldn't insult O'Neill by likening him to Churchill — that would be a pretty laughable stretch anyway – but what was that quote? 'When the facts change, I change my mind; what do you do?'

Ans what more do we know about this virus to make ridiculous mask wearing go on and on ????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

OwenM wrote: »
    Deaths last 7 days: Ireland:15, Sweden:12
    Deaths per million: Sweden:1373, Ireland: 991

https://who.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/ead3c6475654481ca51c248d52ab9c61

What are you on about?

Those figures for Sweden are way off.
    Sweden`s own health authority up dates their data 4 times a week on their own Covid-19 site hhtp://covidstatistik.se.

Sweden have had 126 Covid deaths in the past 7 days. 44 deaths for last weekend where they also had 13,860 new cases.to take the 7 day total to 33,050 new cases.
    Their 7 day incident rate per 100,000 is 659 and they have 374 in I.C.U. with Covid. For the week ending May 2nd. their test positivity was 10.57.

For whatever reason they do not publish the numbers in hospital with Covid, but around two weeks ago the Swedish newspaper The Local.se had a figure of over 2,000 far as I recall.

As of today Sweden has in total 14,217 Covid deaths and 1,021,604 infected.

Thousands of screenings and procedures were cancelled

Private hospitals lay empty for months last year

So if you support that, you support choosing who get access to healthcare

I wouldn’t be grateful for those in support of that

It's not as simple as you're making it out to be.
    If we had much less restrictions neither of us know exactly what would have happened.

The people who are looking at this every day made a judgement,
    based on what they knew, and what was happening in Ireland at any moment,
    and on what our hospital capacity was (less that many other EU countries).

As far as I can see we fared very well as regards deaths, etc., and we must
    have done well re other long term affects of covid on those that survived.
    The US and UK fared much worse than us, as regards deaths, etc., and they will still have
    all the screenings and other procedures cancelled, same as us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's not as simple as you're making it out to be.
    If we had much less restrictions neither of us know exactly what would have happened.

The people who are looking at this every day made a judgement,
    based on what they knew, and what was happening in Ireland at any moment,
    and on what our hospital capacity was (less that many other EU countries).

As far as I can see we fared very well as regards deaths, etc., and we must
    have done well re other long term affects of covid on those that survived.
    The US and UK fared much worse than us, as regards deaths, etc., and they will still have
    all the screenings and other procedures cancelled, same as us.

Ireland has done well to date. Overall low case numbers and low rate of deaths compared to many other countries.

But don't let that fool you. Ireland is truely the worsest country ever ...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Why are always so slow but no doubt some people are happy about as they like been 'cautious'

Were the good little boys and girls of Europe, we'll show them that we know of deadly variants and how opening up to early is so dangerous

Then we have no option or caviant to decide if we can open earlier than scheduled

gozunda wrote: »
    Ireland has done well to date. Overall low case numbers and low rate of deaths compared to many other countries.

But don't let that fool you. Ireland is truely the worsest country ever ...

What’s the low death’s numbers thing?

Last time I check we had one of the highest

Has that changed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have seen a couple posts from boardsies saying they have had cancer diagnosies with poor prognosies, due to late diagnosis thanks to cancer screening delays and cancellations.

I doubt they would find your smugness very comforting.

Last time I check we had one of the highest

Has that changed

Screenshot-20210511-192638.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

*Last time I check we had one of the highest*

Has that changed

*Nods enthusiastically. Absolutely! Irelands the worsest ever ...

Here's us compared our nearest EU neighbours + Sweden!

595hae.jpg

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have seen a couple posts from boardsies saying they have had cancer diagnosies with poor prognosies, due to late diagnosis thanks to cancer screening delays and cancellations.

I doubt they would find your smugness very comforting.

Yes, this is he forgotten part and probably incalculable part of the last year. My neighbour who is early 70s could not get a proper hospital appointment to deal with a problem swallowing turned out when he got it 4 months to late he has no chance. He is no in a hospice living his days out and will be no doubt put down as a covid death. It sure as hell wasn't covid that will kill him.

Lumen wrote: »
    Screenshot-20210511-192638.png

Considering 92% of deaths occur in the over 65 population I wonder where would Ireland be in the table pro rata over 65?

Considering 92% of deaths occur in the over 65 population I wonder where would Ireland be in the table pro rata over 65?

Work it out and post your findings. Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

that thread led me to the below... re overall respiratory infections last year...on which questions also need to be asked before next winter...as I do not want to hear then even a whisper of the word restrictions like we had again.

And if it is true the HSE refused ICU to 90% of older people last spring co morbid or not..alot of other questions need to be asked...because alot of younger people suffered at home to make room for them with moderate covid while the extra room via the private hospitals was under used in many places except for kerry, one in dublinand possibly a few others.. if I remember correctly.

https://mobile.twitter.com/halftwottered/status/1392058590941286410

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement