Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

titan18 wrote: »
    I dunno, I can't see it. It'll be one of the last things to go, but it's not something I can see being enforced longer term. Our shops really going to be bothered requesting people to wear masks when everyone is vaccinated like.

There'll be a lot more refusing then vs now, and you'll also have people complaining about the environmental impact they're having.

But we're seeing countries that have either reached herd immunity, or are close to reaching it, talking (in the case of the UK) about them being required post the 21st of June with deaths and case numbers on the floor, and not entertaining the idea of scrapping them indoors (in the case of Israel). Gibraltar has vaccinated its population, so they should be gone completely there. But they're still required in shops and public transport. I read an article about Israel a few days ago in which a scientist described indoor mask wearing as a 'social norm' in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    I'd report them, no surprise our case numbers are still high:(

Nah. Not in the mood for having my head kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Gortanna wrote: »
    Would you agree that there's no justification for mandatory mask wearing in the UK lasting beyond the 21st of June? Including in shops and on public transport. Or, if the UK hasn't reached herd immunity by then, when it has. It must surely have either hit it or be close to hitting it.

Still to be determined, I think. If infection rates at that stage are very low then yes, from a biology perspective theres no point.

From a social point of view, removing mask requirements means "this is over". Unless we are really sure thats where we are, then I think we have to be a little careful. People will go nuts when they get the "this is over" message and unless they are at herd immunity given the B117 variants transmissibility, which is quite hard to tell, and unless they are prepared for imported cases from general travellers, then maybe masks will end up staying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

scamalert wrote: »
    it must be the now strain that's spreading, leaky brainititus :pac:

I thought it might have been just trolling, but maybe you're right.

That or cabin fever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Graham wrote: »
    I thought it might have been just trolling, but maybe you're right.

That or cabin fever :)
    Were back to this is india, no were not india, are you sure were not in india,and why did you bring up india, i didnt bring up india, can i not mention india :D fck feel your pain having to read the brain melt some people get away posting here.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    I really doubt it.

Ah they were at the start, have a bright sparkly one, have one in a nice colour, etc. The sellers probably made a fortune. But it’s probably growing tired now, see more cheap blue ones around anyway.

Still to be determined, I think. If infection rates at that stage are very low then yes, from a biology perspective theres no point.

From a social point of view, removing mask requirements means "this is over". Unless we are really sure thats where we are, then I think we have to be a little careful. People will go nuts when they get the "this is over" message and unless they are at herd immunity given the B117 variants transmissibility, which is quite hard to tell, and unless they are prepared for imported cases from general travellers, then maybe masks will end up staying.

But does it matter if you import cases if herd immunity has been achieved? And wouldn't case numbers and deaths being on the floor suggest they've reached herd immunity?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You should take a look at the masks thread gortanna, I think you'd like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What would explain the dramatic drop in flu cases in Sweden? Masks?

Have flu cases dropped in Sweden ?
    I know they had low numbers in the 2019/2020 flu season, especially during the first 12 weeks of 2020, but I don`t know what there numbers are for the 2020/2021 flu season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

the masks will go quick enough i think, nobody will be wearing them in eating or drinking , bit by bit more people will not wear them going into shops and garages, public will stopand shops wont bother getting onto them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Just on the masks ... my parents (early 70’s both vaccinated) walked into two cafe takeaway establishments last week mistakenly NOT wearing masks.
    They were in a queue system for 5 mins approx both times.

Nobody in the queue cared
    Were served by the staff who didn’t care
    And my parents (who were originally very covid “brainwashed”) also didn’t care.

When they told me of their unintentional adventure I was delighted for them.
    Incidentally they’ve booked a luxury cruise for jan 2022 last night
    They’ve both officially got over this mind f@&k and are getting on with their lives.

I personally never once wore a mask since this mask mandate occurred. I’ve worn a turtle neck jumper that I pull up entering a shop that has barely covered my upper nose. It still passes the “face covering” title imo and I’ve never been asked to put on an actual mask.

But we're seeing countries that have either reached herd immunity, or are close to reaching it, talking (in the case of the UK) about them being required post the 21st of June with deaths and case numbers on the floor, and not entertaining the idea of scrapping them indoors (in the case of Israel). Gibraltar has vaccinated its population, so they should be gone completely there. But they're still required in shops and public transport. I read an article about Israel a few days ago in which a scientist described indoor mask wearing as a 'social norm' in the country.

I really am not sure what their thinking is on masks but perhaps it could be due to what the vaccines were developed to do. It was not to prevent you getting Covid, it was to ensure your immune system recognised the virus and had the capacity to recognise and combat it.

They have proven extremely good doing just that, and while there is evidence to suggest they also prevent the spread of the virus should you become infected, nobody is sure at this stage.
    It may be that with being vaccinated you become asymptomatic. In other words you have become infected but due to vaccination you do not realise you have, but can still pass on the virus.
    Perhaps that has something to do with their thinking on masks and social distancing. I cannot think of any other reason.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Just on the masks ... my parents (early 70’s both vaccinated) walked into two cafe takeaway establishments last week mistakenly NOT wearing masks.

They’ve both officially got over this mind f@&k and are getting on with their lives.

I personally never once wore a mask since this mask mandate occurred. I’ve worn a turtle neck jumper that I pull up entering a shop that has barely covered my upper nose. It still passes the “face covering” title imo and I’ve never been asked to put on an actual mask.

Would you have been as equally delighted for them had they not been vaccinated ?

charlie14 wrote: »
    Would you have been as equally delighted for them had they not been vaccinated ?

Honestly wouldn’t care if they were vaccinated or not.

Generally 2M apart in a queue so what’s the big deal.

Btw. Remember... from March - August 2020 there was no mask mandate inside shops. In other words my parents only started wearing the face nappies 5 and a half months after the covid hysteria began.
    They never caught covid back then in the shops (just like all the staff in our local Tesco and SV didn’t either. Make you think eh ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Israel has vaccinated around 60% of its population.
    Speaking of Israel, seems their positivity rate has now dropped to 0.1%.:)

Delighted for your parents the cruise sounds fab! They are right to be enjoying themselves and making the most out of life.

Honestly wouldn’t care if they were vaccinated or not.

Generally 2M apart in a queue so what’s the big deal.

Btw. Remember... from March - August 2020 there was no mask mandate inside shops. In other words my parents only started wearing the face nappies 5 and a half months after the covid hysteria began.
    They never caught covid back then in the shops (just like all the staff in our local Tesco and SV didn’t either. Make you think eh ? )

Well you didn`t mention the 2 meters apart in the queue, and you appear to believe that prevents transmission, so I don`t really see why you can write off masks where there is no social distancing as not possibly doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Have flu cases dropped in Sweden ?
    I know they had low numbers in the 2019/2020 flu season, especially during the first 12 weeks of 2020, but I don`t know what there numbers are for the 2020/2021 flu season.

They have dropped dramatically. That and the vomiting bug have pretty much been wiped out. In my opinion, mask wearing in a perfect world where everyone uses them perfectly would probably make a difference. It’s just not the reality. Sweden has proved that social distancing and hand washing are the key to suppressing the common influenza. Not mask wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Emperor.

Surely the masks will be gone indoors

If you assume that clubbing etc requires you don't wear a mask

The logical extension is that everyone gets tested on entry or has a passport or whatever system is devised to enable the above to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I hope you're right, but Dominic Raab said nothing about them being advisory. He said they would probably continue after the 21st of June.

But why would there be a wave when herd immunity will more than likely have been reached (if it hasn't been reached already)? Or even if it won't have been achieved, those at risk will have been vaccinated. If it's a wave of cases but no one is falling ill or being hospitalised then I don't see why that would matter.

Perhaps “will” was too strong as you are right that he equivocated on Marr. June 21 has been heavily flagged as the time for all legal restrictions to be ended as opposed to advice that masks should be one. I will be very surprised if Boris & Co are not required by their backbencher to meet this “no legal restrictions standard” whilst continuing to advocate for a continuation of them on a voluntary basis.

The UK has sprinted ahead in first doses with a 12 week gap. They are now a month or so into the real second doses and 40 y/o were only able to register (ie not yet receive) a first dose in England (as opposed to NI, Scot, Wales) meaning that with up to 2/3rds of capacity dedicated to second doses (commentary during week), the rollout will slow and last first doses will carry on until mid July meaning second doses into October for the cohort with greatest social mixing (16-25). This is one of the reasons why Whitby (Holohan equivalent) is cautioning that there may well be a further wave after the Summer although, as you say, not expected to be accompanied by high hospitalisation/death levels.

I suspect we’ll be the same.

• Advertisement

Well you didn`t mention the 2 meters apart in the queue, and you appear to believe that prevents transmission, so I don`t really see why you can write off masks where there is no social distancing as not possibly doing the same.

Yeah have you been in a shop or cafe in the last 14 months ?
    Have you noticed the spacing on the ground. It’s 2M apart.

If you don’t believe that the 2M distancing is effective then you should send your local TD an email letting them know your concern.

My humble opinion is that both distancing and masks are an absurdity considering the over 70’s have already been vaccinated already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Emperor. wrote: »

The logical extension is that everyone gets tested on entry or has a passport or whatever system is devised to enable the above to happen

The masks will go once nPHEt or government say they aren’t needed

The government did a 180 degree turn regarding restrictions this week

They went from talking about delaying inter county travel until July to giving the green light for inter county travel next week

The same posters that defended the July plan then agreed with the plans for next week, despite nothing changing regarding the virus over the past week

So once the once someone in government or nPHEt say it, the masks are gone

They have dropped dramatically. That and the vomiting bug have pretty much been wiped out. In my opinion, mask wearing in a perfect world where everyone uses them perfectly would probably make a difference. It’s just not the reality. Sweden has proved that social distancing and hand washing are the key to suppressing the common influenza. Not mask wearing.

Hand washing has always been a major factor where flu transmission was concerned and social distancing would have been too, but it was never really practised. I don`t see where masks would not have an effect where there is no social distancing, but it`s really academic.
    People are not going to wear masks or social distance because of flu.

The masks will go once nPHEt or government say they aren’t needed

The government did a 180 degree turn regarding restrictions this week

They went from talking about delaying inter county travel until July to giving the green light for inter county travel next week

The same posters that defended the July plan then agreed with the plans for next week, despite nothing changing regarding the virus over the past week

So once the once someone in government or nPHEt say it, the masks are gone

Masks and SD should go asap

I've no problem with compulsory vaccination , passports and testing on entry to venues or whatever is needed to achieve

Anyone who says masks are not an inconvenience is not a sociable being imo

Yeah have you been in a shop or cafe in the last 14 months ?
    Have you noticed the spacing on the ground. It’s 2M apart.

If you don’t believe that the 2M distancing is effective then you should send your local TD an email letting them know your concern.

My humble opinion is that both distancing and masks are an absurdity considering the over 70’s have already been vaccinated already.

I have no problem with either social distancing or wearing a mask.

Are you really unaware of the need to keep numbers as low as possible while getting the vaccination numbers as high as possible ?

Masks and SD should go asap

I've no problem with compulsory vaccination , passports and testing on entry to venues or whatever is needed to achieve

Anyone who says masks are not an inconvenience is not a sociable being imo

Compulsory vaccination would most likely speed up masks going, but I cannot see that being a runner.

Compulsory vaccination would most likely speed up masks going, but I cannot see that being a runner.

The ones that don't take the vaccine don't get entry

Fuk them.

I imagine the likes of clubbing will be well down the list on opening up, but even then, like concert or sports events for large crowds, will require either a vaccine passport or recent test result for entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I loathe to imagine the smell of your jumper this far into the pandemic:eek:

• Advertisement

The ones that don't take the vaccine don't get entry

Fuk them.

You`ll get no argument from me on that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement