Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XI *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Do you not think it’s at all possible that observation of trends over an extended period time resulted in the conclusion last week that a significant relaxation was now warranted? And not that anything changed on a particular day which is patently ridiculous

Hopefully that’s how they came to their decision on easing of restrictions. But do you not think that those trends were steady enough to have better indicated to the public what was in store for May?

Either the communication between NPHET and government is seriously poor or there is some data we are not aware of that influenced a swing from an outdoor only Summer, no inter-county travel until July, and little chance of holidays abroad, to now having inter-county travel in one weeks time, indoor dining in hotels in four weeks time, and a government that now seems to be behind a digital travel pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Boggles wrote: »
    Vaccines.

Plan and supply from AZ and Jansen.

Pfizer 2 weeks ago again declaring they will exceed supply. Moderna now committed to supply.

Vaccinate and ease restrictions.

Relative to the North we are more ambitious and continue to be.

We had schools fully open before them.

May is still a conservative reopening, by the time June comes along a million plus more vaccines will be gone into arms.

This is all good news, time to ease back on the doom mongering.

And yet just before the removal of some restrictions was announced last week, the usual suspects were whinging for a continuation of lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Do you not think it’s at all possible that observation of trends over an extended period time resulted in the conclusion last week that a significant relaxation was now warranted? And not that anything changed on a particular day which is patently ridiculous

Jesus it’s frustrating to read this stuff

Myself and many other posters, as recent as last Tuesday night were questioning the cautiousness of Ireland’s plan using vaccination numbers & hospital numbers to support their argument that barbers, outdoor amenities, building etc should be reopen as its safe to do so, whereas the message from government was that stuff was months away

We were arguing with the same posters who claimed it’s not safe as we could turn into India, not all vulnerable are vaccinated, people moving about spread the disease, young people can get sick, pick your reasoning it’s in the previous thread.

Sometime Tuesday night all those reasons were immediately irrelevant as the data was finally observed and studied???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Do you plan on being one of them?

No. I will not be one.

There are 2 parts to the full answer.

Originally I never felt I needed a covid vaccine as I wasn't concerned by covid.
    So although not set in stone , I was highly unlikely to take it.

Then I had covid and I now have those delicious antibodies that I spoke of and my T-Cells are working like mad to create that most wonderful of things - natural immunity.

Now the chance of my taking of the vaccine is even less, near zero.

I believe everybody who wants to take one should. those that do not should not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Huh??? Where is this suggested ?

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/get-back-out-there-chief-medical-officer-tony-holohan-tellsolder-people-who-are-vaccinated-40381219.html

"Chief medical officer Tony Holohan has urged older people to “get back out there” and restart the things they used to do once Covid-19 restrictions are eased next week."

"He said while people may be “anxious at the idea of reopening your social circle...you can have confidence in your vaccine, no matter which one you received”

Good old RTE again:

“”Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan has praised the sacrifices people have made over the last year, but warned that too much social mixing, especially even for those who have been vaccinated, will increase the risk of a further surge of Covid-19.

However, he said it is important that such people keep up compliance with public health advice“”

I could be misinterpreting it due to too much wine last night :pac:

• Advertisement

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Yes they seem to have lost the plot, first off need a cert proof of vaccine to enter a concert (fair enough) but once inside the 100% vaccinated audience has to wear a mask ???

Mind boggling....

I just don't see them going away indoors. Deaths and case numbers are on the floor in the UK and yet covid marshals are being recruited to work until 2022, with the possibility of an extension until 2023, to ensure compliance with the rules. I've read articles about how masks are "only required in shops and on public transport". As though it's not a big deal.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    But not required here amongst vaccinated people indoors here.

Do you think people who haven't been vaccinated are wearing masks when meeting in each others homes?

That so-called 'vaccine bonus' makes no difference. There has been nothing about them going in shops, banks, on public transport etc.

Gortanna wrote: »
    I just don't see them going away indoors. Deaths and case numbers are on the floor in the UK and yet covid marshals are being recruited to work until 2022, with the possibility of an extension until 2023, to ensure compliance with the rules. I've read articles about how masks are "only required in shops and on public transport". As though it's not a big deal.

Vaccinated people can visit other vaccinated people indoors with no masks in Ireland. That’s the begining of the end of masks from what i can see. Especially once the masses are inoculated.

Regarding the marshals they won’t have any enforcement powers. So you could tell them to feck off if you choose to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's not a big deal. However, once it's legal not to wear them, I won't be.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And yet just before the removal of some restrictions was announced last week, the usual suspects were whinging for a continuation of lockdown.

March, April, May, June and July were touted ad nauseam for the easing of restrictions, tied in primarily with vaccine roll out.

You either weren't listening or you created your own narrative.

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    No. I will not be one.

There are 2 parts to the full answer.

Originally I never felt I needed a covid vaccine as I wasn't concerned by covid.

Then I had covid and I now have those delicious antibodies that I spoke of and my T-Cells are working like mad to create that most wonderful of things - natural immunity.

Now the chance of my taking of the vaccine is even less, near zero.

So you were anti vax from the start because Covid didn't concern you, but your "natural immunity" is delicious.

Fair enough, at least you are honest.

Do you think people who haven't been vaccinated are wearing masks when meeting in each others homes?

That’s irrelevant. It’s the government’s advice that’s relevant, they are easing the rules when it comes to masks amongst the vaccinated. It’s a start anyway.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Vaccinated people can visit other vaccinated people indoors with no masks in Ireland. That’s the begining of the end of masks from what i can see. Especially once the masses are inoculated.

Regarding the marshals they won’t have any enforcement powers. So you could tell them to feck off if you choose to do so.

But it was already happening. All that's changed is that people now have 'permission' from the government / NPHET to do it.

I hope you're right, but I just don't see it. Gibraltar has fully vaccinated its population according to this article: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/04/gibraltar-covid-vaccination-safe.html

And yet they're still required in shops and on public transport there.

The only country I can think of that introduced them for indoor places and subsequently scrapped them is Australia (certain states). But, with the exception of Melbourne, they were introduced for maybe a week or two before being scrapped. In all these other countries they've been mandatory for a long time.

Like I say, I hope you're right, but the fact that case numbers and deaths are on the floor in the UK and covid marshals are being recruited to work until 2022, and possibly 2023, and the talk is of masks being required beyond the 21st of June suggests that they aren't going away. If herd immunity isn't enough to get rid of them then I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

March, April, May, June and July were touted ad nauseam for the easing of restrictions, tied in primarily with vaccine roll out.

You either weren't listening or you created your own narrative.

I was listening. Listening to all those begging for extended lockdown last week. Fair play to you for ignoring inconvenient facts.

Myself and many other posters, as recent as last Tuesday night were questioning the cautiousness of Ireland’s plan using vaccination numbers & hospital numbers to support their argument that barbers, outdoor amenities, building etc should be reopen as its safe to do so, whereas the message from government was that stuff was months away

I have no idea where you are getting this from. I can guess.

But personal services and outdoor amenities were touted by MM and other cabinet ministers at the end of March for a May reopening.

MM confirmed it 2 weeks ago.

Also we are not still pretending construction is closed, are we? :rolleyes:

Like I say, I hope you're right, but the fact that case numbers and deaths are on the floor in the UK and covid marshals are being recruited to work until 2022, and possibly 2023, and the talk is of masks being required beyond the 21st of June suggests that they aren't going away.

That suggests that they are going away. Just not as quickly as I'd like. If they were staying, there won't be a 'possibly 2023'.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Jesus it’s frustrating to read this stuff

We were arguing with the same posters who claimed it’s not safe as we could turn into India, not all vulnerable are vaccinated, people moving about spread the disease, young people can get sick, pick your reasoning it’s in the previous thread.

Sometime Tuesday night all those reasons were immediately irrelevant as the data was finally observed and studied???

What a couple of poster said does not make official policy. More of us spotted the trends and understood the opening would be far quicker than doom mongers on both sides expected.

The thing with policy decisions is they aren’t made until they are made so it may seem like a sudden change, when in fact the preceding weeks were leading to that point

I was listening. Listening to all those begging for extended lockdown last week. Fair play to you for ignoring inconvenient facts.

Who was begging for extended lockdowns?

We have spent the last 2 months easing restrictions.

I don't think you know what a 'fact' is.

People on here? Begging for extended lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

India

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So you were anti vax from the start because Covid didn't concern you, but your "natural immunity" is delicious.

That's not what he said at all though is it?

You're welcome!

I'd feel much the same personally, but I'll take the stupid thing when it's offered because it's the quickest way to get past the hysteria and nonsense in general.

As for masks. The minute the mandatory/enforceable part disappears, so too will my mask which I only wear if I have to. In most scenarios I just go with one of the plastic face shields which is still stupid of course but but, "de virus"

When we look back at the last 12/14 months I wonder will it finally sink in that we created rampant hysteria and damage to our society and economy for something that 99%+ of people were at little to no risk from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I loathe to imagine the smell of your jumper this far into the pandemic:eek:

Haha , I purchased 20 turtle necks and 10 polo neck fleece tops from M&S last summer. I could see the writing on the wall RE masks (face coverings) so got ahead of the problem.

Ps , I’m not exactly a fan of turtle necks . Rather Elizabeth Holmes in the fashion stakes imo and not the best style for a mid 40’s male haha.

That said I think masks are beyond revolting both hygiene and visually speaking.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's not what he said at all though is it?

It is yeah, I'll help you.

All though he is delighted with his "natural immunity" and "delicious" antibodies.

Go figure.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Haha , I purchased 20 turtle necks and 10 polo neck fleece tops from M&S last summer. I could see the writing on the wall RE masks (face coverings) so got ahead of the problem.

Ps , I’m not exactly a fan of turtle necks . Rather Elizabeth Holmes in the fashion stakes imo and not the best style for a mid 40’s male haha.

That said I think masks are beyond revolting both hygiene and visually speaking.

So when most people are throwing on a simple face covering to go into the shop.

You are taking out one of your 20 turtle neck jumps and putting it on to go into the shop.

:pac:

But it was already happening. All that's changed is that people now have 'permission' from the government / NPHET to do it.

I hope you're right, but I just don't see it. Gibraltar has fully vaccinated its population according to this article: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/04/gibraltar-covid-vaccination-safe.html

And yet they're still required in shops and on public transport there.

The only country I can think of that introduced them for indoor places and subsequently scrapped them is Australia (certain states). But, with the exception of Melbourne, they were introduced for maybe a week or two before being scrapped. In all these other countries they've been mandatory for a long time.

Like I say, I hope you're right, but the fact that case numbers and deaths are on the floor in the UK and covid marshals are being recruited to work until 2022, and possibly 2023, and the talk is of masks being required beyond the 21st of June suggests that they aren't going away. If herd immunity isn't enough to get rid of them then I don't know what is.

Funnily enough i have gotten used to masks due to wearing them in the course of my work. If i have to wear one on a plane to get to see my family in the USA again i’d have no problem wearing one. Masks were at the bottom of my worries regarding this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

really depends how you define anti vaxx.

Nobody should be pro/anti vax cos all disease/vaccine aren't the same. It should be pros/cons and all that - imo of course.

I'm not anti vaxx - firmly believe its a personal decision.
    Also you have misunderstood what i said (as per Kaisers reply) . I said

I've family and friends already jabbed and I've no issue at all.
    maybe bar one lad...I posted on him on boards before. he is a rabid conspiracy theorist and anti vaxxer who took it cos work told him. I felt he was a fraud given his rants on the matter. But that's a side issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

The masks will go once nPHEt or government say they aren’t needed

The government did a 180 degree turn regarding restrictions this week

They went from talking about delaying inter county travel until July to giving the green light for inter county travel next week

The same posters that defended the July plan then agreed with the plans for next week, despite nothing changing regarding the virus over the past week

So once the once someone in government or nPHEt say it, the masks are gone

These same people then maintain their stance that they are thinking for themselves. The reality is that it’s very much the man on the telly that’s really telling them what and how to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It is yeah, I'll help you.

All though he is delighted with his "natural immunity" and "delicious" antibodies.

Go figure.

Not feeling himself at risk and thus not concerned != "anti-vax" ... I even quoted the relevent line for you.

And yep, fair play to him. I'd say he's not alone either as there'll be a lot of people out there with a natural immunity to it now, many of whom probably won't have even known they had it in the first place.

really depends how you define anti vaxx.

Someone who creates all sorts of fantasy in order to self justify their decision not to take a vaccine.

Cause Autism, or such nonsense.

Then you have the real hard core who don't want restrictions, masks or any sort of infection control because it will prevent "natural immunity".

Of course they give other reasons for this because they are not brave enough to admit what they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Someone who creates all sorts of fantasy in order to self justify their decision not to take a vaccine.

Anyone who regards any vaccine as a potential iatrogenic no matter the circumstances.

Well done Boggles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement