Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aib banking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

hurikane wrote: »
    Mother of gawwwwwwwwwwwwd

If you don't mind wasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

What if someone sent you a fake text though? How far down this rabbit hole do you want to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

What I want to know is what idiot decided it was more secure to enter all 5 digits rather than seeking a random shuffle of 2 or 3? They should be given a swift kick up the hole.

At a guess I'd say they probably had more failed log-ins and people getting confused by using three numbers, particularly those that might only log-in occasionally.

Caranica wrote: »
    They don't text you to tell you. As someone has already said it was in "my messages". I'm pretty sure I got a pop up to tell me too but that was logging in on a laptop not the app.

5 digits is no hardship and nothing dodgy op.

Perhaps not dodgy. Would still like to know from the horses mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

At a guess I'd say they probably had more failed log-ins and people getting confused by using three numbers, particularly those that might only log-in occasionally.

But if you accidentally give out the entire code to a scammer because that's exactly what the official app asks then they will have the entire code to get in, if it's asking last 2 or last 3 etc there's going to be a lockout after 3 wrong attempts. They have basically completely destroyed their own security, whoever thought of it should be shown the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

YFlyer wrote: »
    Was there a text?

No text. Sure if you got a text you'd definitely think it was dodgy!

To thine own self be true

JPup wrote: »
    What if someone sent you a fake text though? How far down this rabbit hole do you want to go?

And that is my concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Was there a text?

I seem to remember an actual letter as well as the my messages but you have to log in to see those

No text. Sure if you got a text you'd definitely think it was dodgy!

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

What I want to know is what idiot decided it was more secure to enter all 5 digits rather than seeking a random shuffle of 2 or 3? They should be given a swift kick up the hole.

Too be honest they always asked for the same 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

App is working fine.

I updated app a few months ago, notice has been on desktop log in site for months that they were upgrading security.

Too be honest they always asked for the same 3

Not for me. It had been different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

OP - if you’re concerned about fraud then enter a random incorrect 5 digit code. Say 16945

You won’t be scammed then.

Dav010 wrote: »
    App is working fine.

Fair enough. Unless I talk to a person. Won't be exchanging 5 numbers.

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    OP - if you’re concerned about fraud then enter a random incorrect 5 digit code. Say 16945

You won’t be scammed then.

I'm more interested paying bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Agreed, absolutely no other reason for the change. Personally don’t care. Quicker with the 5....and their app is superb.

As an aside, tried calling today to cancel his & hers credit cards that have sat in wallets for years unused. Ridiculous paying 240 per yr for the privilege. 1hr 12mins in a queue. Gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Alright, you broke me

It's a big conspiracy and everyone posting here is in on it

Never enter your 5 digits on the AIB App

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

I'm more interested paying bills.

Just pay them in the post office

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Was changed to 5 numbers a couple of months ago when app updated, desktop also went to phone authentication.

dodzy wrote: »
    Agreed, absolutely no other reason for the change. Personally don’t care. Quicker with the 5....and their app is superb.

As an aside, tried calling today to cancel his & hers credit cards that have sat in wallets for years unused. Ridiculous paying 240 per yr for the privilege. 1hr 12mins in a queue. Gave up.

That is fair enough. Simple phone call would solve it. Verification.

• Advertisement

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    Just pay them in the post office

Good suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

But if you accidentally give out the entire code to a scammer because that's exactly what the official app asks then they will have the entire code to get in, if it's asking last 2 or last 3 etc there's going to be a lockout after 3 wrong attempts. They have basically completely destroyed their own security, whoever thought of it should be shown the door.

It's two or three stage security now so just having the PAC won't work. Your phone is linked to your account so you can just log in using the PAC (you're already 'semi' logged in...)
    If you try it on a fresh device you won't be able to log in just using the PAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

hurikane wrote: »
    Mother of gawwwwwwwwwwwwd

The brief insights we get into the hell of customer service here make me shudder.

Bless anyone who is on the end of a phoneline to the great unwashed, it must be tough.

Advertisement