Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nematodes 2021?

Options
  • 30-04-2021 11:54pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it looks like Mr Middleton and QuickCrop can't get nematodes this year. Anyone heard of other suppliers?

It looks like Brexit has messed everything up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Found this article before that suggests we can make our own slug control nematode treatment at home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

That sounds like beer traps on steroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

It’s virtually impossible to get these now in Ireland. I found one seller on eBay who want £9 customs charges plus £9 delivery ( previously free with parcel motel) so you are looking at £35 if you can even get it delivered on time. Most are not shipping at all outside of the UK.

Apparently the pavilion garden Center in cork have an order for some in but no idea when this will land.

Any other tips would be appreciated! Weevil will make sh1t of my garden otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I can’t get them, the closest I found to biological control was ‘Tercol soil insect/larvae repellent’. Not really the same thing as nematodes unfortunately but better than nothing I suppose!

https://www.fruithillfarm.com/plant-care-protection/sprays-pellets-and-traps.html

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Are they only produced in the UK? I thought Supernemos was an Irish company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭odoliam

I've just ordered some on Amazon and sent via An Post AddressPal
    Thought it worth the extra for a treatment now
    https://amzn.to/3f5zlzL

Will see if I can get more in Sep/Aug as this is apparently the ideal treatment time

Have foxes digging up the whole lawn getting chafer grubs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

odoliam wrote: »
    I've just ordered some on Amazon and sent via An Post AddressPal
    Thought it worth the extra for a treatment now
    https://amzn.to/3f5zlzL

Will see if I can get more in Sep/Aug as this is apparently the ideal treatment time

Have foxes digging up the whole lawn getting chafer grubs!!

Problem is the time it takes for delivery and they are dead.

If doing. It best to order on Sunday so that its not left in a sorting office over the weekend

true
    Am hoping the 2wks life-span quote is realistic
    Typically takes 4-5days through addresspal

Brexit: first cars now nematodes. What a dose.

At least its turning into an unmitigated disaster for them so hopefully this won’t last too long..

����
    address pal received yesterday from a wednesday order, so should be with me by monday latest

• Advertisement

😂😂
    address pal received yesterday from a wednesday order, so should be with me by monday latest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

😂😂

It you had ordered earlier in the week.... :)
    Tried getting car parts from the uk. Neither DHL or dpd could manage to get it out of the UK.
    Got it sent to a friend to post it to addresspal and got it delivered here in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PeadarOBriain

Anyone know how long nematodes have been used in Ireland? I didn’t think they were native?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Anyone know how long nematodes have been used in Ireland? I didn’t think they were native?

Nematodes are a huge group and there are many native species.

I set up an Addresspal account yesterday and ordered through Amazon - thanks for the tip on this Odoliam.

Cost: £10 for the product and €10 for Addresspal. Looks like this should be it, no customs charges should be payable from what I can see (despite eBay supplier charging £9 for customs) so shouldn’t be too bad in the end hopefully.

Will update when it arrives.

comerla wrote: »
    I set up an Addresspal account yesterday and ordered through Amazon - thanks for the tip on this Odoliam.

Cost: £10 for the product and €10 for Addresspal. Looks like this should be it, no customs charges should be payable from what I can see (despite eBay supplier charging £9 for customs) so shouldn’t be too bad in the end hopefully.

Will update when it arrives.

Shouldn't cost that much for AddressPal delivery - usually 6.50 I think?
    The customs charge can be hit & miss, sometime I get caught for it, others not.....probably down to different people processing the parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

macraignil wrote: »
    Found this article before that suggests we can make our own slug control nematode treatment at home.

Thinking of giving this a go....has anyone found it good or even tried it??
    any risks to humans with this being used around lettuce plants say, from a bad bacteria point of view

I did it mid summer last year after months of trying to figure out what was going on and what was causing it
    So far this spring there is still some, which is why I'm re-treating, but nothing like the "caddy-shack" type mess I had last year
    From recollection, absolutely no harm to humans, simply dissolve in watering can, apply on a not too sunny day and wait

It might take a full season to resolve, but the bugs are buried in the soil and probably takes time for the nematodes to multiply and then find the bugs

I may treat the lawn every year regardless so it doesn't come back
    Given the absolutely mess I had last year, the cost is low to keep it at bay

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

I did it mid summer last year after months of trying to figure out what was going on and what was causing it
    So far this spring there is still some, which is why I'm re-treating, but nothing like the "caddy-shack" type mess I had last year
    From recollection, absolutely no harm to humans, simply dissolve in watering can, apply on a not too sunny day and wait

It might take a full season to resolve, but the bugs are buried in the soil and probably takes time for the nematodes to multiply and then find the bugs

I may treat the lawn every year regardless so it doesn't come back
    Given the absolutely mess I had last year, the cost is low to keep it at bay

Good to know you noticed some effect. did you use only slugs or can i use snails (with shells) also. It is mostly snails that i have a problem with

not sure, make sure to buy the correct nematodes to match your issue
    I have chafer grubs, so buy the one in my link above
    Same company do different types....if I recall correctly
    just did a quick search and didn't find a specific snail focused product, but maybe read the descriptions and might be covered

e.g. the leatherjacket one covers chafer grubs too for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

cuculainn wrote: »
    Thinking of giving this a go....has anyone found it good or even tried it??
    any risks to humans with this being used around lettuce plants say, from a bad bacteria point of view

I tried the slug control nematode brewing as explained in the linked article and found it probably worked to some extent. I did not use snails as it is more slugs are an issue in my own garden. I have made other efforts since then to improve the habitat in the garden for slug predators like adding shelter, food providing plants and access to water for small birds and a pond to encourage frogs and a lot of the plants I put in the garden now are at a stage where slugs are less likely to damage them too severely. The last time I had some slug damage on some plants I killed the slugs I found and just broke up some egg shells and left them around the plants and that seemed to discourage any more slugs.

Edit: Just posted a video clip showing how the broken eggshells seem to have helped a Hosta plant get less slug damage to its leaves this year.

The nematode incubating set up I used had no pathogenic bacteria added to the system at any stage so I don't see how it would have been a hazard from a bad bacteria point of view.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,585 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I did my front garden at the end of the season last year, and I think the grass is definitely healthier looking this spring.
    I had planned to do another dose this spring, but never got round to it. I wonder is it too late to do it?

What I have noticed this year, is a lot of crows and other birds, landing each morning and getting a good dig in the gardens.
    Not sure if its these grubs they are after, or just worms?

Hopefully the former, they might help the issue as much as the nematodes!

My package was posted Monday and still no notification of receipt by Addresspal. Starting to get worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Aren't the nematodes for slug control very temperature dependant ? I think they really want warm soil to thrive ... and that's not this year ..
    On A farm I used to work at , we used it in polytunnels but not in the fields for that reason ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

yes, temp sensitive

Mine arrived Tuesday, so less than 1 week from order
    Use by date was 12-June, which seems a bit too long

I used them straight away, rainy that evening....but as we're up in the hills a bit and between hills, we get odd weather, and wouldn't you know it, 4degC that night. Hopefully they aren't all dead!!

So Addresspal have informed me that nematodes are prohibited from being sent via Addresspal and they’re asking me to send them prepaid envelope so they can return it to my supplier.

comerla wrote: »
    So Addresspal have informed me that nematodes are prohibited from being sent via Addresspal and they’re asking me to send them prepaid envelope so they can return it to my supplier.

ouch, what nonsense
    bet it's because they're live microscopic organisms
    Wonder if they do the same for bacteria and viruses - nope, can't forward this because someone sneezed on it. Please pay for return!

Nematodes are back in stock here - https://www.thegardenshop.ie/supernemos/

40 quid but at this stage I’ll pay it.

Does anyone in Cork want some Vine Weevil Nematodes?

I have a box that will cover 100 m2 of them (I dont need anything like the fulll amount) just dispatched so if anyone wants to chip in on these - let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Mr Middleton got them back in stock and mine arrived this morning. GOOD BYE SLUGS

Advertisement