Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrassingly basic stamp duty/deposit question

Options
  • 01-05-2021 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

So I have a really basic question that for the life of me I can’t figure

I have €40k saved now some of this needs to be used as stamp duty and some needs to be used as deposit. Now here is the embarrassing part, I can’t figure out how to apportion this correctly to figure out how much I can afford to bid.

I have been messing around with thinking this is 11% of the purchase price but that’s not helping. I have said if I bid 360k that means I need 36k + 3.6k leaving 400quid left which is close enough but that was just picking numbers and seeing what works I’ve no idea how to scale that in a formula as I save more each month or add a lump sum.

I’m sure it’s very obvious when you see it but it’s really confusing me.

I have separate saving for legal fees etc. But any help on this would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

40 = 11%
    ? = 100%

40 x 100 / 11 = 363K

Do you also have money set aside for solicitor's fees?
    They'll usually need to be paid at the same time as the stamp duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

For a first time buyer it’s 10% deposit up to 220k and 20% for the remainder. So you would need 50k deposit on a house worth 360k and 1% stamp duty that another 3.6k. Solicitor is probably 1% or 1.5% so another 3.6k to 5.4K then land registry fees etc on top of solicitor fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Duvetdays wrote: »
    For a first time buyer it’s 10% deposit up to 220k and 20% for the remainder.
    That was changed in Jan 2017, it is now 90% on the full value.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

wench wrote: »
    That was changed in Jan 2017, it is now 90% on the full value.

Apologies never realised they changed it back to 10%

Advertisement