Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May Running Challenge

• 01-05-2021 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Back for another challenge in the series this month.

Strava Art! :D

Any kind of run, anywhere.. do your thing :) Submit your participation with a screen shot ideally, but at least a link. We can work out the scoring later but it will be still 20 points for top, 19, 18 etc... If we have 20 or less participating, a poll will do it. If more, we will find a way.

Your running art is one thing, but if it means something let us know what the story is? What was your thought process? How did you plan it? Did it turn out as you expected?

_88346058_darth.jpg

Please select your top 3 Strava Art for the May Running Challenge. 35 votes

Hannibal_Smith - Face's corvette & BA's van
    68% 24 votes
    event - A Balls of a Run
    5% 2 votes
    fletch - shotgun & 972
    0% 0 votes
    crisco10 - Running 7 Leinster Rugby
    0% 0 votes
    Hannibal_Smith - BA's van 2nd attempt
    2% 1 vote
    jackc101 - The shark
    0% 0 votes
    Reg'stoy - The stick
    0% 0 votes
    Murph_D - The spermatozoa
    0% 0 votes
    jamule - Spray drills in a wheat field
    0% 0 votes
    DeepBlue - The lovable E.T
    0% 0 votes
    Glencarraig - The submarine
    0% 0 votes
    Shotgunmcos - The Ostrich
    0% 0 votes
    Murph_D - The virus
    8% 3 votes
    Enpassant - The elephant
    5% 2 votes
    TFBubendorfer - The seahorse
    8% 3 votes
    Pherekydes - 5 pointed star
    0% 0 votes
    Dubh Geannain - Paddle your own
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

Word to the wise on this one, works better well outside your privacy zone..I tried a few a while ago and got stung by the image being cropped by the zone

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I can't even colour by numbers or stay inside the lines on the best of days...this is going to be interesting haha

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

This is actually a great one. It's doing my head in, mind you, and I'll admit to having squinted a at some past strava runs a lot longer than I should have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

As many efforts as you like. Start with something simple. Like the January Challenge. -30sec was top 10 at one point but it got pretty competitive once people had a few goes. Easy runs so no intensity.. unless the story is "drew this out during a 5k TT...)!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

First attempt - it was meant to be Face's corvette (to the upper left of pic) and BA's van to the right. Unfortunately my strava art is just as bad as my normal art :pac: I took a right too soon on the lower part of BAs van which knocked everything else out.

But the concentration levels were intense, in fact Im full sure I had my tongue out at one point like a kid with a crayon! I really tried to put definition into the corvette by creating a point at the tail and I even ran out and did two circles in the middle of the Kathryn Tynan Road for wheels. I was laughing so much to myself!! :pac: Intended to run into Solas Chriost NS school to try and get a bit of definition on the roof, but unfortunately there was a class doing PE outside, so I had to stick to the road and the artwork suffered as a result ;) I turned into The Oaks and tried to get an inverted T for the divider between the windows. Alas it seems you need to go deep for Strava to pick up such arty definitions as window dividers and wheels!! :D. Got to the top of Belgard Hill and was treated to a breathtaking view of Dublin City which was lovely mind you.

For the van I had it planned but miscounted the right turns I was to take and turned too soon. Again, I ran around a round about and a road to get the wheels, which Strava didn't pick up unfortunately.

I came out at Marks pitches on to the Fettercairn Road and knew at that stage I was too high for the stripe, but wasnt sure how too fix it. Best thing at this stage was to keep heading north nonetheless and try and get to the roof of the van and see if you can spot a through road somewhere that might work. Eventually I could see Doyles Bakery to my far right and thought if I could just get across the estate I could maybe salvage the stripe, come out at the back of the van and run back along the Katherine Tynan Road for the remainder of the roof. I did consider what some did for the 5kTT ie hopping a fence, but then I spotted a track in the grass that lead to a pedestrian entrance. Nipped in through it and ended up somewhere I didnt want to be! Took a few wrong turns to try get back out before I got shot :pac: Followed a car that looked like it was driving on a through road and followed it and ended up back on the Katherine Tynan Road. Happy Days! Headed towards the Bakery crossed the road (to get the spoiler) and head back towards Fettercairn to get the roof.

I kind of got the feeling I'd messed it up big time here when the roof was too long, and thought about cutting back into where I came out of. Luckily I couldn't remember where I'd come out of because if I'd taken it would have looked even worse! Got to the junction at Fettercairn and was delighted. Just get back to Mark's pitches and that'll be done. Was worried I'd made a total mess of the undercarriage but thought in general it should be ok. Got the most breathtaking view of the mountains en route, reached the end and pressed stop. Couldn't wait until I got home, clicked into strava to see how it looked. Burst out laughing :pac: That is not how it looked in my head!!! :pac:

I had the best craic this morning doing it. Was totally focused on the image in my head and laughing away to myself the whole time. Was also delighted to see I'd gone over 6 miles for the first time since last Oct! I'll obviously give it a better go now I know what strava demands before allowing you any artistic licence :pac: But thanks so much for setting this challenge, it was so much fun! :D

Sorry for the essay :eek:

• Advertisement

First attempt - it was meant to be Face's corvette (to the upper left of pic) and BA's van to the right. Unfortunately my strava art is just as bad as my normal art :pac: I took a right too soon on the lower part of BAs van which knocked everything else out.

But the concentration levels were intense, in fact Im full sure I had my tongue out at one point like a kid with a crayon! I really tried to put definition into the corvette by creating a point at the tail and I even ran out and did two circles in the middle of the Kathryn Tynan Road for wheels. I was laughing so much to myself!! :pac: Intended to run into Solas Chriost NS school to try and get a bit of definition on the roof, but unfortunately there was a class doing PE outside, so I had to stick to the road and the artwork suffered as a result ;) I turned into The Oaks and tried to get an inverted T for the divider between the windows. Alas it seems you need to go deep for Strava to pick up such arty definitions as window dividers and wheels!! :D. Got to the top of Belgard Hill and was treated to a breathtaking view of Dublin City which was lovely mind you.

For the van I had it planned but miscounted the right turns I was to take and turned too soon. Again, I ran around a round about and a road to get the wheels, which Strava didn't pick up unfortunately.

I came out at Marks pitches on to the Fettercairn Road and knew at that stage I was too high for the stripe, but wasnt sure how too fix it. Best thing at this stage was to keep heading north nonetheless and try and get to the roof of the van and see if you can spot a through road somewhere that might work. Eventually I could see Doyles Bakery to my far right and thought if I could just get across the estate I could maybe salvage the stripe, come out at the back of the van and run back along the Katherine Tynan Road for the remainder of the roof. I did consider what some did for the 5kTT ie hopping a fence, but then I spotted a track in the grass that lead to a pedestrian entrance. Nipped in through it and ended up somewhere I didnt want to be! Took a few wrong turns to try get back out before I got shot :pac: Followed a car that looked like it was driving on a through road and followed it and ended up back on the Katherine Tynan Road. Happy Days! Headed towards the Bakery crossed the road (to get the spoiler) and head back towards Fettercairn to get the roof.

I kind of got the feeling I'd messed it up big time here when the roof was too long, and thought about cutting back into where I came out of. Luckily I couldn't remember where I'd come out of because if I'd taken it would have looked even worse! Got to the junction at Fettercairn and was delighted. Just get back to Mark's pitches and that'll be done. Was worried I'd made a total mess of the undercarriage but thought in general it should be ok. Got the most breathtaking view of the mountains en route, reached the end and pressed stop. Couldn't wait until I got home, clicked into strava to see how it looked. Burst out laughing :pac: That is not how it looked in my head!!! :pac:

I had the best craic this morning doing it. Was totally focused on the image in my head and laughing away to myself the whole time. Was also delighted to see I'd gone over 6 miles for the first time since last Oct! I'll obviously give it a better go now I know what strava demands before allowing you any artistic licence :pac: But thanks so much for setting this challenge, it was so much fun! :D

Sorry for the essay :eek:

I enjoyed reading the report! it was very detailed and love how none of that detail transferred into the Strava Art.

Running and Strava Art is quite hard I think, most of the crazy art you see is cycling, when you can cover more distance the possible detail is much higher. e.g. drawing wheels would be 500m loops instead of 50m and have a lot more definition.

it was very detailed and love how none of that detail transferred into the Strava Art.

Haahaa - in my head when I finished I thought I'd nailed it :pac: I even followed a couple of indentations in the cycle track to get wheel arches! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

First attempt - it was meant to be Face's corvette (to the upper left of pic) and BA's van to the right.

This must be the most uniquely brilliant post I've seen in Boards in a long time.

I'm so amazed at the thought process.

"Strava Art Competition"

And the 1st thing that comes to mind are the vehicles that 2 TV characters drove in the 1980's!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭event

I call this one "A balls of a run"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I vote minus point for dick pics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

And the 1st thing that comes to mind are the vehicles that 2 TV characters drove in the 1980's!!!

With that nick and avatar surely it was the obvious choice!

event wrote: »

And i worried mine wasn't high brow enough :pac:
    With that nick and avatar surely it was the obvious choice!

I contemplated trying to get a chopper on the way home for Murdock. Till I took the time to check how the first two worked out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

event wrote: »

If that a self portrait I’d see a doctor :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

My attempts
    In honour of our monthly challenge organiser, the first one is a shotgun. It's a bit messy...that was attempt 3 and after having to step over some poor lad a few times trying to sunbathe and getting some very strange looks, I decided to call it a day.
    shotgun.jpg

Same story here, the lads playing football didn't seem too pleased with me wandering through their goal posts so will return when it's quieter and try again :D
    Edit: 972 being the boards Athletics & Running Forum Id
    972.jpg

Haahaa - in my head when I finished I thought I'd nailed it :pac: I even followed a couple of indentations in the cycle track to get wheel arches! :pac:

Honestly that was a brilliant opening attempt to this month's challenge. Your thought process detailed beautifully, thank you :) Glad you had so much fun with it too :D
    fletch wrote: »
    My attempts
    In honour of our monthly challenge organiser, the first one is a shotgun...

Ahh thanks and thats cool!

I decided to try a collage of sorts...aka couldn't think of 1 good idea so did 4 instead. Lol.

Basically the concept was to combine my 2 main hobbies (running and leinster rugby) into one "picture", and what better place to do it than the location of my first Parkrun?

I hadn't really done a exact plan for that art work but had done a Google map reccie briefly earlier in the week, and I planned it in more detail on the 15 minute run to Marlay.

image 1: The leinster rugby harp

Drawing the body of the harp was easy as the path there sort of looks like an arc, but the strings were trickier, to keep them equidistant I measured the distance from first to last string on watch and divided by 3. To keep parallel, I just tried to maintain the same line as the first string. Went relatively OK, but no idea until I get home obviously

image 2: the rugby ball

This was trickier, partly because drawing an arc consistently is pretty hard, but also having to avoid the underage GAA sessions made it interesting. However, the various bikes strewn around the pitches did give me some markers to try and make the shape somewhat even. I wasn't going to do the middle line, but had a last minute change of heart and did a quick up and back the middle of the pitches. Sure fk it.

image 3: the rugby posts

Over to the concert field here. Flashback to my autoCAD engineering days here as you just go up and down the x, y axis.
    Used the watch to measure the length of first post, then turned and retraced roughly 2/3 of it, turn right for the crossbar for a while then repeat the trick for 2nd post.
    My real dilemma was do I just run off at the bottom of second post or try to retrace my steps to keep image "clean"??? Again, fk it, tried the latter, using 2 sunbathers as my markers. Fingers crossed when I get home it will look OK. (It didn't- 2 cross bars anyone?!)

image 4: the (sort of) figure of 8

First off, why 8? Well it's the number of years I've been lurking with intent on the AR forum here on boards so basically my running career length.
    This was a lot easier and less cerebral as it was just following roads/paths that (generally) form a figure of 8.

Got home, and desperately pulled out my phone to sync with my watch to see what it looked like. My heart sank when I saw the Garmin connect image, just a bunch of squiggles. Fortunately, strava was a bit better, if requiring a bit of a squint.

Really fun run and mentally challenging, it's like you are imagining that you are looking at yourself on Google earth as you run. I was listening to a podcast at the time, but I actually didn't hear a word of it. The concentration was a lot higher than I thought it would be.

I think there will be (significantly) better efforts, so might need to keep my thinking hat on.

DtBNRCy

Screenshot-20210508-155258-Strava.jpg

BA's van second and final attempt. He's replacing the front wheel so it's on bricks :pac:

I have to park ;) the van there before I cause myself an injury and try something simpler next time.

Screenshot-20210509-121933.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present the shark.
    It bears no significant meaning other than being inspired by squinting at previous runs on Strava and trying to tweak it to look like something / anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

552684.png

552685.jpg

I obviously had to wait till we were allowed travel outside our counties before I could complete the challenge. The hardest part was trying to keep the handle of my walking stick to scale, the second hardest part was trying to keep my course dead straight, which necessitated jumping over hedges and at one stage running in the middle of traffic, while ignoring many angry drivers, who gestured rather rudely when I replied "strava art", to their requests as to "what the f**k are you doing?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

For my first attempt, may I present...

The Spermatozoa :eek:

552780.jpeg

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    For my first attempt, may I present...

The Spermatozoa :eek:

552780.jpeg

surely a missed opportunity to not run by Holles St? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

crisco10 wrote: »
    surely a missed opportunity to not run by Holles St? ;)

Definitely. This one only came to mind after the run. Accidental art! I’m sure it can be improved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Screenshot_20210514-234708_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20210514-234513_Strava.jpg
    Spray drills in a wheat field.
    Not sure if I can forgive the farner for changing direction this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

My attempt......

ccRK6vC.png

If you squint really, really hard and possibly have consumed sufficient hallucinogenic substances you might convince yourself that it looks somewhat similar to a side profile of the lovable extra-terrestrial with child abandonment issues from an 80's movie.

Uojh8a9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Submarine............kinda. It's one of my usual 5 mile routes. I will admit to it being totally accidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Submarine............kinda. It's one of my usual 5 mile routes. I will admit to it being totally accidental.

Giving away my age, but I see a Wacky races car :o

553424.jpg

A couple of weeks ago Murph_D commented on the first image. By chance the run looked like a kind of bird on Strava. I had been wondering what to do for the Challenge so the idea took root. I knew it would take a long run but life got in the way for a while. A week to go, I gave it a go.

I Consulted the resident artist, my daughter Zoe, 6, on the first image. I had to explain that I wanted to "draw" something with a run on the map. She asked if she could come with at first but after hearing it would take me an hour and a half, decided against it :D We analyzed the map together and I asked her what she saw. She instantly said an Ostrich. Cool, we were in synch. However, she upped the ante saying "you'll need to add a tail and an eyeball... oh and a beak"... no pressure then :cool::D She traced her finger over the map where she though the tail and back should be. Happily it was most of the roads I usually run, in a very specific order.

PCD3PDNDKZXZCE7OY7HNPTPLL2PQJCYJJSCCE5LQAHV4RWD7VSHM5DJ6LJS3HPGXGM4GXETAT3VWEJ7HH7ORKFWSNYL3ET2T

I set out around the block and a lap of the nearby woods for the feet. Mile 2 was straight into town for the first of the Ostrich's legs. Easy so far. The connection point to the body was at the end of a bridge so I just had to follow the bank into town, through Aurthur's Quay park, around King John's Castle and across the bridge to the Treaty Stone. This second point brought me to to the end of mile 3 and the end of the tail. The next couple of miles were straightforward to the base of the neck.

I did dive down into a housing estate to try and get some of a wing but it didn't work out. The "neck" was mile 6 up to the Tesco at Coonagh. A lap around the road outside Tesco would form the head but the details were the challenge. I was looking for a spot to hop a fence to my left but the trees were too tall and fence itself barbed. Finally, a gap! I hopped over and into a marshy flooded field. Nothing to it but get wet and dirty running a circle around the middle of it for the eyeball :) I caught myself on the fence wire hopping back out onto the road and almost face planted onto the tarmac :o

A short run to to the exit by a roundabout on the main Ennis Road. How to turn this into a beak? :confused: I knew if I stayed on the path it would round the front of the head like the first picture above. Hmmm...

Right, lets give it a go. Instead of staying on the path, I crossed straight across the busy road to the point of the beak. Problem was, a roundabout stood between me an the path. Cars flew by beeping at me in my short shorts. A gap in the traffic and I sprinted across to the unkept roundabout, shredding my shins on razor sharp long grass. Now I was some dude in short shorts on a roundabout on the main Ennis to Limerick commuter belt :D:(. I had to keep my line though. I trudged over the long grass and waited for a chance to sprint across the road to the safety of the path. Hopefully the danger was worth the small detail!

The route back into town via the "neck" and "belly" of the Condell Road brought me back to the initial bridge connection point. I jogged down to the next turn and ran a parallel road back up town for the other leg. I had put on Garmin LiveTrack for Mommy and the kids to follow along. My daughter met me at the door with a big grin to show me I did it, eyeball and all :D

A very enjoyable, satisfying long run with a difference :)
    4FK7V2OMDGK27X4O5VSRMR7NUGDRFERA5QQFDEFBZNWMX3UKRQMVFRH6Q4FY24XOHHPP526HM63LHBNWV6BMNLBO6ES2JEF4

:pac: love it :D

Imagine some one saw some of the stranger loops/manoeuvres and asked were you OK... How could you answer, yes I'm just drawing a harp/shot gun/wheel/ET/ostrich's eyeball :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

A couple of weeks ago Murph_D commented on the first image. By chance the run looked like a kind of bird on Strava. I had been wondering what to do for the Challenge so the idea took root. I knew it would take a long run but life got in the way for a while. A week to go, I gave it a go.

I Consulted the resident artist, my daughter Zoe, 6, on the first image. I had to explain that I wanted to "draw" something with a run on the map. She asked if she could come with at first but after hearing it would take me an hour and a half, decided against it :D We analyzed the map together and I asked her what she saw. She instantly said an Ostrich. Cool, we were in synch. However, she upped the ante saying "you'll need to add a tail and an eyeball... oh and a beak"... no pressure then :cool::D She traced her finger over the map where she though the tail and back should be. Happily it was most of the roads I usually run, in a very specific order.

PCD3PDNDKZXZCE7OY7HNPTPLL2PQJCYJJSCCE5LQAHV4RWD7VSHM5DJ6LJS3HPGXGM4GXETAT3VWEJ7HH7ORKFWSNYL3ET2T

I set out around the block and a lap of the nearby woods for the feet. Mile 2 was straight into town for the first of the Ostrich's legs. Easy so far. The connection point to the body was at the end of a bridge so I just had to follow the bank into town, through Aurthur's Quay park, around King John's Castle and across the bridge to the Treaty Stone. This second point brought me to to the end of mile 3 and the end of the tail. The next couple of miles were straightforward to the base of the neck.

I did dive down into a housing estate to try and get some of a wing but it didn't work out. The "neck" was mile 6 up to the Tesco at Coonagh. A lap around the road outside Tesco would form the head but the details were the challenge. I was looking for a spot to hop a fence to my left but the trees were too tall and fence itself barbed. Finally, a gap! I hopped over and into a marshy flooded field. Nothing to it but get wet and dirty running a circle around the middle of it for the eyeball :) I caught myself on the fence wire hopping back out onto the road and almost face planted onto the tarmac :o

A short run to to the exit by a roundabout on the main Ennis Road. How to turn this into a beak? :confused: I knew if I stayed on the path it would round the front of the head like the first picture above. Hmmm...

Right, lets give it a go. Instead of staying on the path, I crossed straight across the busy road to the point of the beak. Problem was, a roundabout stood between me an the path. Cars flew by beeping at me in my short shorts. A gap in the traffic and I sprinted across to the unkept roundabout, shredding my shins on razor sharp long grass. Now I was some dude in short shorts on a roundabout on the main Ennis to Limerick commuter belt :D:(. I had to keep my line though. I trudged over the long grass and waited for a chance to sprint across the road to the safety of the path. Hopefully the danger was worth the small detail!

The route back into town via the "neck" and "belly" of the Condell Road brought me back to the initial bridge connection point. I jogged down to the next turn and ran a parallel road back up town for the other leg. I had put on Garmin LiveTrack for Mommy and the kids to follow along. My daughter met me at the door with a big grin to show me I did it, eyeball and all :D

A very enjoyable, satisfying long run with a difference :)
    4FK7V2OMDGK27X4O5VSRMR7NUGDRFERA5QQFDEFBZNWMX3UKRQMVFRH6Q4FY24XOHHPP526HM63LHBNWV6BMNLBO6ES2JEF4

This is fantastic!

• Advertisement

:pac: love it :D

Imagine some one saw some of the stranger loops/manoeuvres and asked were you OK... How could you answer, yes I'm just drawing a harp/shot gun/wheel/ET/ostrich's eyeball :D

Just beeps on the roundabout, nobody stopped :o Alas, the response was "I'm just looking for a large flightless bird" :D

Advertisement