Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight's Boxing (Chisora v Parker, Taylor v Jonas, Tennyson, Ruiz v Arreola etc)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Anyone see who shouted "And the new..."?

Billy Joe's da in the audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Katie's energy management has come on leaps and bounds from a few years ago. Great to see her finishing so strong over the final 3rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I had it 97-93, and tbh I actually thought the 3rd (Which I gave to Jonas) was close.

Taylor showed huge hunger and fitness in those last two rounds and it's one her the fight.
    The judges must have had here down with two to go !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Such a farce that they can wrestle and punch the heads off each other for 10 rounds and then must stand 2 metres apart for the interviews.

walshb wrote: »
    Taylor showed superb determination, and her gas tank seemed very good..real champion’s performance.

Was expecting her to fade and be in trouble in the last few rounds, but she was excellent. Won the 9th round by a country mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I was keeping an eye on betting odds and during the fight Taylor was shortening rapidly. I think she was 1/10 going into the last round. I didn’t watch it but based on the updates she had a little more room than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    FINAL 2 ROUNDS CLINCHED IT.

Did the Leonard flurry.

Scandalous cards but thank god no robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone see who shouted "And the new..."?

Heard it. Was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hardly scandalous..

Jonas won 3-4 rounds...

Couple rds were also close!

• Advertisement

Can somebody ask her about the shorts please? Like the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Cards were on the money?

Absolutely perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Those shorts are absolutely ridiculous.
    Serious padding.

Anyway that was a nice fight.
    I like Jonas, she seems like lovely person.

Definitely think we need 3 minute rounds for women's boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I dont think she had her best night she woke up in the 7th and realised she needed to put it to bed!
    The lack of a crowd did not suit her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Had it 6-4 Taylor myself. Entertaining fight after a slow enough start.

Looking forward to seeing what, if any, changes Parker has made now Lee is coaching him

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    I dont think she had her best night she woke up in the 7th and realised she needed to put it to bed!
    The lack of a crowd did not suit her!

One of her best shows that, against a very capable boxer..

Katie has fought a lot of very weak opposition.

Tonight she fought a very good opponent, and beat her by showing everything...

So who's Katie's next target? Is there anyone decent left at lightweight she hasn't beaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Not for me I think Jonas is overrated and the "great" British hope for sky/womens boxing!
    They will prob go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rolling Stone

Great win, Katie needed to finish strongly and did. Can't argue with the score cards.

Clearly a lot of respect between both fighters. Jonas comes across as a very likeable person and always has a smile on her face. She's pushing on now but I hope she ends up with a world title at some stage ... just not at Katie's expense!

• Advertisement

Taylor has a diamond chin.

Her hands and footwork are obvious but that chin allows her to walk through opponent's best shots and carry on, a bit like Golovkin does.

tom1ie wrote: »
    So who's Katie's next target? Is there anyone decent left at lightweight she hasn't beaten?

I honestly think Taylor should go down weights. i doubt think she is naturally much smaller than 135lbs waling around.
    If you look at a male lightweight compared to Taylor or Jonas, they are so much bigger.
    I don't think many females really drop weight to fight like male counterparts.

Serrano should really be her next opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Anyway that was a nice fight.
    I like Jonas, she seems like lovely person.

Definitely think we need 3 minute rounds for women's boxing

It's an interesting one. Would we get the same action if the fighters had to pace themselves for three minute rounds? Probably not. I'm starting to think womens boxing as a spectator sport probably needs the 2 minute rounds to work. 12x2 minute round fights might be the sweet spot for world title fights.

I honestly think Taylor should go down weights. i doubt think she is naturally much smaller than 135lbs waling around.

The optics looked very strange. I couldn't work out if Taylor was in a different weight class to Jonas, or if it was just the shorts Jonas had on, or if Jonas was overweight.

If you look at a male lightweight compared to Taylor or Jonas, they are so much bigger.
    I don't think many females really drop weight to fight like male counterparts.

Serrano should really be her next opponent.

Did she not already beat Serrano?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,717 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fingers crossed now for our Andy Lee Proxy fighter!

Morrison J wrote: »
    It's an interesting one. Would we get the same action if the fighters had to pace themselves for three minute rounds? Probably not. I'm starting to think womens boxing as a spectator sport probably needs the 2 minute rounds to work. 12x2 minute round fights might be the sweet spot for world title fights.

I just think the better boxer would show over 3 minutes.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Did she not already beat Serrano?

Yeah but she needs to fight the good Serrano sister.

Here’s the real elites now, lads!

• Advertisement

Yeah but she needs to fight the good Serrano sister.

Ah I see.

Advertisement