Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How likely am I to get a refund?

Options
  • 01-05-2021 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I had a gift voucher for a well known voucher site because I had booked a hotel break with them that was cancelled due to covid, and I lost my battle for a refund. Today I decided to book a break with the voucher. The break I wanted was 29 cent more than my voucher. I put in the voucher code and it said I had 29 cent balance to pay. It then went to the next page and said there was an admin fee of €10.10. I put in my card details and here's where I ****ed up... I got a text from my bank to authorise the payment and rushing I didn't bother reading it, I just clicked copy code. My bank account has been charged the full amount which is the best part of €300. If I had read the text message I wouldn't have confirmed obviously. I'm pretty sure any decent company would refund me and honour the gift voucher, but I have no proof I input it, and they haven't been a joy to deal with before. It will be Tuesday at the earliest before I hear back from them and I'm actually sick with worry here. I'm on invalidity and this has pretty much cleared out my bank account. Realistically are they likely to refund me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You will need to speak with them to find out. Hard to know exactly what happened here. Did the voucher get used also? If not it would seem you"chose" to pay full amount in cash rather than voucher plus the difference. It would be goodwill on their part if that was the case. Was the break refundable anyway?

To many variables, talk to them first, you can't get better advice here in the mean time as we don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I think you have to insist that you did put the voucher code in and play it that the money was taken fraudulently. You have the voucher so why wouldn't you have used it?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

If this is escapes/pigsback, I think they have a refund policy in the first 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I think you have to insist that you did put the voucher code in and play it that the money was taken fraudulently. You have the voucher so why wouldn't you have used it?

Well that could be easily explained that the op forgot they had it out just forgot to use it. It's not fraud of they told her the cost and that it was being paid by debit card.

It's a mistake by op. Claiming fraud will not encourage them to help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Can you cancel and rebook?

• Advertisement

Well that could be easily explained that the op forgot they had it out just forgot to use it. It's not fraud of they told her the cost and that it was being paid by debit card.

It's a mistake by op. Claiming fraud will not encourage them to help

I didn't think the OP would use that as a first course of action and if it comes to that its for the bank to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Taken "fraudulently"

Would you ever f off with a sh1te response like that.

The hotel would laugh in your face at such stupidity.

Op, just tell them what happened and it should be fine.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Taken "fraudulently"

Would you ever f off with a sh1te response like that.

The hotel would laugh in your face at such stupidity.

Op, just tell them what happened and it should be fine.

I've already pointed out its for the bank to decide that so I haven't suggested anyone say that to whoever the booking was made with.

If he doesn't get his money back or the voucher honoured then he can still go back to the bank and say I put in the voucher code and I paid more than expected can I get my money back.

I used a code only last night to get a discount online and the first code was out of date and a big red notice came up on the screen saying sorry that voucher code is no longer valid. If something similar didn't happen when the OP as stated put in a voucher code then there is something wrong somewhere. As a last resort the OP can take this up with whoever issued their debit or credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I've already pointed out its for the bank to decide that so I haven't suggested anyone say that to whoever the booking was made with.

If he doesn't get his money back or the voucher honoured then he can still go back to the bank and say I put in the voucher code and I paid more than expected can I get my money back.

I used a code only last night to get a discount online and the first code was out of date and a big red notice came up on the screen saying sorry that voucher code is no longer valid. If something similar didn't happen when the OP as stated put in a voucher code then there is something wrong somewhere. As a last resort the OP can take this up with whoever issued their debit or credit card.

What has the voucher got to do with the bank?

Dav010 wrote: »
    What has the voucher got to do with the bank?

Nothing why would it have anything to do with the bank?

The amount overpaid which is the value of the voucher is an overpayment whoever you look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Nothing why would it have anything to do with the bank?

That’s what I’m wondering.

As a last resort the OP can take this up with whoever issued their debit or credit card.

You stated quite clearly that the op should play it that the money was taken fraudulently. - go and read your own post.

The op would be laughed at with such a ridiculous comment.

The op themselves said that they did not check.

Honestly and calm approach is always the best policy and will always elicit the best response.

Falsely accusing a company of fraud will never ever end well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I totally hold my hands up that I didn't read the text message from the bank. There was nothing on the website to say I was paying full price from my bank account though. The gift voucher was accepted. It displayed on screen I owed a further few cent plus a tenner admin fee. So there is fault on both our parts here as far as I'm concerned, which is why I'd hope they'd agree to refund. Just worried since past experience with them has not been good. I'll have to wait it out I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Has the money left your account yet ?

Do you have an overdraft facility ?

Has the money left your account yet ?

Do you have an overdraft facility ?

Money left straight away. No overdraft. If it had cost a little bit more the transaction would have been declined for insufficient funds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Money left straight away. No overdraft. If it had cost a little bit more the transaction would have been declined for insufficient funds

Did you get a digital receipt by email ?

Maybe it's wording will help strengthen your side of the story ?

Had an email from them this evening. They've admitted it was a website glitch and have issued a refund. Should have my money back in 3-5 days. I'm so relieved!

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Had an email from them this evening. They've admitted it was a website glitch and have issued a refund. Should have my money back in 3-5 days. I'm so relieved!

And you didn't need to play the "taken fraudulently" card as suggested by one person :D

Good it ended well for you and actioned immediately by the place - as it should have and as I expected.

Advertisement