Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody grow your own meal worms here?

Options
  • 01-05-2021 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Would like to - just enough to keep small garden going - best success I have had attracting small birds - particularly robins was with the dried meal worms - I know live ones are a ton better. Any help or info appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I know nothing about farming meal worms.

But if you have the time, growing a garden with lots of insect friendly plants and leaving some wood logs to rot will greatly increase the number of insects in your garden. The size of the garden doesn't matter. Potted plants will work just as well as in beds.

If the insects are there, the birds will find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭loco-colo

Thanks fiacha - I am on that case - garden about 25 yards x 6 yards - and I have just this year left the last two yards of lawn go wild - 12 square yards is my contribution to pollinators - went up to forest and collected a few lovely old rotting knotted logs - they are my bug hotels - lovely dandelions there at the moment and just going to put down some pollinator-friendly plants next - got an old kids paddling pool at the side of the road - 3 feet diameter a few years ago and it is my frog pond - nice spawn in there at the moment - wild area will give them a bit of cover - have to check out the Keeling pollinators stuff.

But the meal worms is a different project - definitely intend to have a go. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Some decent information here. It seems to be straight forward. I may give it a go myself.
    https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/feeding-birds/safe-food-for-birds/breed-your-own-mealworms/

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭loco-colo

Cheers - hadn't seen that - looked at something a year ago and it seemed to be making it complicated.

Advertisement