Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To get an interior decorator/designer or not?

Options
  • 01-05-2021 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

First time buyer here. Debating whether or not to get one. Waste of money or good investment for if I ever want sell the house?

If it's a good idea, any recommendations for one in Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

I think it’s a great idea to invest in your living space, making it the best possible place for your needs. I wouldn’t view it as an investment for flipping a property, you’re unlikely to cover your costs and most new owners will want to update the interior to their own taste. No particular recommendations, but for an idea of cost I spent a couple of thousand three years ago for a small property.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

I brought 10 years ago and it’s a regret of mine I didn’t get an architect to make up a grand plan for the house back then. I’ve done a lot of work to the house in last 10 years and now I’m putting an extension on. I can see now where I made mistakes in my planning and wasted money in areas. If I’d had a plan from the start it would have saved me a lot time, money and hassle. I’ve learnt from the experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There’s no real right or wrong answer here OP.
    It all comes down to how you feel yourself with setting the place out, how confident you are in selecting furnishings and of course budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

That's great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

Buyers generally want to see a blank canvas (light colours, no clutter).

The only reason to get an interior designer is to tailor the place to your own tastes. It won't add any value for resale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Shoden wrote: »
    Waste of money or good investment for if I ever want sell the house?

Hiring an interior decorator right after you buy a place just in case you might want to sell it years down the road is not really an investment. Whatever they come up with for you and whatever decor you purchase would likely be out of fashion by that time anyway, so it's not likely to add any real value to the place (unless we're talking something truly unique like a posh period property that you want to kit out with authentic furnishings and decor or something). You should consider an interior designer if that's something you want to make the place right for you, not with any thought for selling it on eventually. When it does come time to sell, a fresh coat of neutral paint, some new or renewed flooring where needed, and a good deep clean and decluttering will make the place just as attractive to potential buyers than some fancy bespoke interior design that might not be to everyone's taste anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

Thanks, that's great advice. Still not sure what to do. I suppose I'm happy enough making decisions about small stuff, I just want to get the big things right, flooring etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I definitely plan on getting one in when I buy, not with selling it on in mind but just to make the most of the living space. I haven't a notion on design, colours etc...
    It would probably make more sense to get one in just before it goes on the market to make it look more appealing to buyers if your intention is to use it to help you sell. Same way they do with show houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

If you get one it’s not an investment as most things that are tailored to one persons taste are hideous to others. I often see those show house make over shows and think what we’re they thinking with some of the absolute crap they put into houses. So, get one for yourself for sure but if you’re selling on, it’s true a canvas is what buyers want to see

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

I have used a fantastic interior designer in Cork if you're interested. Worked out way cheaper than I expected and I would have been lost without her. Not sure if I am allowed to recommend someone on here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement