Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Performance You've Ever Seen?

• 02-05-2021 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Here's an interesting one I think. We often talk about the greatest ever teams or players, but rarely about the stand out games by the great teams.

One performance that always sticks in my mind is the 07 beating Milan gave United in 07. One of the worst beatings I've ever seen a team take, the 3-0 scoreline flattering United.

I think what made the game so intriguing was it was two of the biggest names in football going head to head at contrasting points in their trajectory, United on the rise, the great Milan starting to wane.

United at this point had started to fancy themselves as one of Europe's best, but Milan were about to take them down a peg or two in devastating fashion, give them a proper lesson. On top of that we had Kaka come up against the fancied Ronaldo, giving him a proper lesson of what it meant to be the best in the world, Kaka at his peak, the complete player.

United were fortunate to take them in the first leg, Kaka terrorising United. But the second leg was something else. Even before the game started, it seemed United were beaten. San Siro rocking and rain lashing down, United players looked visibly shaken tbh, intimidated.

The minute the whistle went, Milan done the ultimate "professional job" on them. Bullied United and drove at them with intent, the cauldron of the San Siro baying them on. If United thought they were good, they knew better after Milan put two quick goals past them. One of the truely great teams, making these new upstarts of United look like startled kids.

I'll never forget it, wave after wave of Milan attacking from all areas of the field. Despite what the scoreline told, probably one of the most emphatic and dominant wins I've ever seen. Milan put United right in their place that night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What sticks out for me is in 2001 when Barcelona needed to win the last game of the season against Valencia to secure Champions league qualification.

Up steps Rivaldo with one of the best hat-tricks ever that is worthy of the op thread title alone.

He scored a free-kick then a screamer from outside the box and to cap it all off at 2-2, he scored a overhead bicycle kick in the dying minutes to win the game 3-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Man Utd Vs Juve return leg in CL 1999. My favourite match of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Germany 7 - 1 Brazil stands out in my mind as a real 'men vs boys' tonking on home soil for the hosts, sublime performance from start to finish.

United 8 - 2 Arsenal was another, you know the ones where you almost feel sorry for the team gettin' hockeyed and wish the ref would blow it up early to put the recipients outta their misery?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Manchester United 6-2 Leeds United. 20 December 2020.

Really put Leeds in their place unlike AC Milan were supposed to in the Europa League this season.

Glazers Out!

Istanbul 2005 was another unbelievable outcome.

Liverpool 3-0 down at halftime in the Champions league final to AC Milan but bring it back level in the second half and make it to extra time and with the goalkeeper making ridiculous saves the game goes to penalties.

Liverpool win after the shootout.

Possibly one of the best CL finals ever and secured Liverpool's 5th title of their British record 6th European cup/ Champions league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Istanbul 2005 was another unbelievable outcome.

Liverpool 3-0 down at halftime in the Champions league final to AC Milan but bring it back level in the second half and make it to extra time and with the goalkeeper making ridiculous saves the game goes to penalties.

Liverpool win after the shootout.

Possibly one of the best CL finals ever and secured Liverpool's 5th title of their British record 6th European cup/ Champions league.

A classic example of taking your foot of the pedal, and how hard it is to regain that control of a game once the opposition get on a roll. Milan learned two years later.

The save by Reina from one yard out in extra time was amazing

nullzero wrote: »
    Manchester United 6-2 Leeds United. 20 December 2020.

Really put Leeds in their place unlike AC Milan were supposed to in the Europa League this season.

Don't be bitter Leed's gave Uniteds title chances hope after beating City, only to dash it when they played United. Were just mugging United off for the laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

A classic example of taking your foot of the pedal, and how hard it is to regain that control of a game once the opposition get on a roll. Milan learned two years later.

Dudek

Dudek but yes it was unreal and some crazy performances from the Liverpool back four.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    What sticks out for me is in 2001 when Barcelona needed to win the last game of the season against Valencia to secure Champions league qualification.

Up steps Rivaldo with one of the best hat-tricks ever that is worthy of the op thread title alone.

He scored a free-kick then a screamer from outside the box and to cap it all off at 2-2, he scored a overhead bicycle kick in the dying minutes to win the game 3-2.

Was Aimar at Valencia by that point? When Aimar showed up, that was the end of Rivaldo. Aimar the dominant playmaker for 3-4 years in Spain, completely underrated these days

• Advertisement

Yes Dudek sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

One of the best players of all time Cristiano Ronaldo dragging Juve to victory against Atletico a few years ago after saying he was going to after the first leg ended.

There's a few other ones he did too such as that time he got the hattrick against Sweden to get his country to the world cup.

The above mentioned Leeds performance was good too.

Liam O wrote: »
    One of the best players of all time Cristiano Ronaldo dragging Juve to victory against Atletico a few years ago after saying he was going to after the first leg ended.

There's a few other ones he did too such as that time he got the hattrick against Sweden to get his country to the world cup.

The above mentioned Leeds performance was good too.

Yes, one of the greatest strikers of all time, probably behind Muller. Pity he struggled v Atleti when they were at their peak, had he the all round game of someone like Kaka he may have been a more dominant/complete player, not relying on being an outlet for others creativity.

But some players are made to be finishers, not the crafters who pull the strings like Cruyff and Maradona. So fair play to the likes of Ronaldo, Gerd Muller et al, for excelling with limitations to their game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Live - Suarez vs Norwich where he banged 4 goals... all 4 were stunning goals too.

On the TV - toss up between Istanbul, europa league vs Dortmund or the more recent CL semi-final against Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yes, one of the greatest strikers of all time, probably behind Muller. Pity he struggled v Atleti when they were at their peak, had he the all round game of someone like Kaka he may have been a more dominant/complete player, not relying on being an outlet for others creativity.

But some players are made to be finishers, not the crafters who pull the strings like Cruyff and Maradona. So fair play to the likes of Ronaldo, Gerd Muller et al, for excelling with limitations to their game

You see you slipped up mentioning Kaka given both he and Ronaldo joined Real at the same time and Ronaldo destroyed any doubt as to who the superior player was while there. Had he been more complete he may not have more goals in 2 seasons at Real than Kaka managed appearances for the club.

I honestly have no idea how you can even type some of the nonsense that you have over the years.

Do you think Maradona and Cruyff weren't goalscorers?

Calvin wrote: »
    Live - Suarez vs Norwich where he banged 4 goals... all 4 were stunning goals too.

On the TV - toss up between Istanbul, europa league vs Dortmund or the more recent CL semi-final against Barca.

Suarez similar to Brazilian Ronaldo that season. Not in style, but in dropping back and leading the line with far more than goals. Connected everything

Liam O wrote: »
    You see you slipped up mentioning Kaka given both he and Ronaldo joined Real at the same time and Ronaldo destroyed any doubt as to who the superior player was while there. Had he been more complete he may not have more goals in 2 seasons at Real than Kaka managed appearances for the club.

I honestly have no idea how you can even type some of the nonsense that you have over the years.

Do you think Maradona and Cruyff weren't goalscorers?

Kakas best years were beyond him by that point.

Maradona and Cruyff had far more string's to their bow than just goalscoring. They ran the whole show, pulled the strings, dictated the game, didn't rely on others to create

Kaka was the complete player in his prime. Don't worry, I didn't slip up, mentioned Kaka on purpose. A tour de force in midfield, had it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Thread starter loves united united united.
    Who ever won a champions league final in 2 mins of injury time united united the have to score the always score the rest is history ole gunnar killer off

bassy wrote: »
    Thread starter loves united united united.
    Who ever won a champions league final in 2 mins of injury time united united the have to score the always score the rest is history ole gunnar killer off

That game must be unique, from the point of view of a team winning despite being so outplayed. Never seen a side win that were that outplayed to the extent United were in 99. Fair play to them really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Suarez similar to Brazilian Ronaldo that season. Not in style, but in dropping back and leading the line with far more than goals. Connected everything

Forgotten too that he missed the majority of the first half of the season through suspension and still finished top goal scorer. Reckon if he stayed on, he’d have gone down as one of the best players ever in the Prem.

• Advertisement

Calvin wrote: »
    Forgotten too that he missed the majority of the first half of the season through suspension and still finished top goal scorer. Reckon if he stayed on, he’d have gone down as one of the best players ever in the Prem.

Didn't take penos either if I'm correct?

Contrast that season to Ronaldos season at United who scored the same with one extra game I think, who won world player of the year. No comparison really, Suarez created everything and led from the front, wasn't just an outlet. Was phenomenal that season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Ronaldinho ,Barca v Madrid..even the Madrid fans clapped him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

That game must be unique, from the point of view of a team winning despite being so outplayed. Never seen a side win that were that outplayed to the extent United were in 99. Fair play to them really

There are hundreds of thousands of examples of teams being totally outplayed and winning. Have you ever watched football?

There are hundreds of thousands of examples of teams being totally outplayed and winning. Have you ever watched football?

Yes, I've seen teams win that have been outplayed and won, but rarely to THAT extent

As to the thread, Waterford coming back from 2-0 down to beat a quality Limerick side in the FAI cup semi final replay in Milltown in 1980 stands out.

Yes, I've seen teams win that have been outplayed and won, but rarely to THAT extent

To WHAT extent? They rode their luck and were 1-0 down. They'd had chances. The only really remarkable part was that it was so late and such a big game.

Liverpool winning in 2005 is more remarkable in that Benitez picked the wrong team and got lucky when Kewell got crocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Gerrard for me in the the 2005 final, or the Gerrard Cup Final, or against the Greeks or just about anytime we played Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

There's a myriad Barcelona performances that deserve mention.

For Pedro Rodriguez, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beKMsXOy5zU
    Just a menace all night.

For Xavi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlSgwnBSQjA
    95 passes, 4 assists against RM of all teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

1988 : Liverpool 5-0 Notts Forrest

Possibly the best Liverpool performance I've ever seen.
    A team totally on top of their game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Don't be bitter Leed's gave Uniteds title chances hope after beating City, only to dash it when they played United. Were just mugging United off for the laugh

Bitter?

Coming from somebody whose entire shtick is talking about how Manchester United deserves none of the success they've had and only had it because of blind luck?

Surprise surprise this thread has an OP about United being put in their place, and by a club you claimed would embarrass United in this years Europa League. The same United you claimed your club Leeds would play against with no fear last weekend but ended up playing almost everyone behind the ball against for the full 90 minutes.

I'll take everything you have to say with a pinch of salt and the ABU angle is clear to see for anyone who is familiar with you.

Glazers Out!

Liverpool 4-0 v Barcelona.

Germany 7-1 v Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Individual:
    Ronaldo vs Sweden in the 2014 World Cup playoff.

Team:
    Man Utd's 8-2 win against Arsenal

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

In regards to a personal performance, Paul McGrath versus Italy in 1994 World Cup must be right up there.

Against a team stacked with global superstars McGrath was individually (and literally) head and shoulders over all of them. A complete rock at center half, every play by the Italians between center circle and the pen spot was owned by McGrath. Even when they tried to play away from him he was still there. I've never seen a center half have such a commanding presence on a game. Even attacking he was influential. It was his long ball that lead to Houghtons goal and Iirc he even had the ball in the net from a header but was ruled out for a push.

I'd say Baggio is still having nightmares about McGrath towering over him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The second leg of the 2008/09 champions league quarter final between Chelsea and Liverpool.
    Chelsea went into the leg 3-1 up.
    Second leg ended 4-4. It was an absolute bananas game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Everyone will have their own, but the ones from my own memory ...

Liverpool 4-0 Barca
    McGrath v Italy in the US
    Baresi v Brazil in that World Cup Final in 94
    Zidane v Brazil in the World Cup QF 2006
    Henry v Leeds where he scored 4
    Juventus 2-3 Man Utd in 99 (I was cursing those Italian bottlers!)
    Suarez v Norwich where he scores 4. 2 genuine Goal of the Season contenders, one brilliant free kick, and one improvised volley.
    Gerrard in Istanbul

This obviously isn't a definitive list, but they're the ones that stick out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Man Utd Vs Juve return leg in CL 1999. My favourite match of all time.

The first 20 minutes or so were terrible as a united fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's the fact that it happened in a match the decided who gets a major trophy that makes it unique.

From FIFA.com:

"It is a long way down from the executive seats at Camp Nou. As the scoreboard ticked over to 90 minutes, UEFA President Lennart Johansson passed on his commiserations to Manchester United legend Bobby Charlton and began to make his way down to present the UEFA Champions League trophy, heading to the lift that would take him pitchside.

Thirty seconds had passed as the Swede completed his journey into the bowels of the iconic Iberian stadium. He stepped out of the elevator, walked the labyrinthine intestines of the Catalan complex, before emerging to a perplexing scene.

“I thought, 'It can't be',” Johansson recalled. “The winners are crying and the losers are dancing.”"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Renato Sanchez in the 2016 Euros. Was probably man of the match in every game and showed great maturity for an 18 year old.

Signed for Bayern and then fell off the face of the earth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rivaldo against Valencia is the unquestionably correct answer, but the 5-0 against Mourinho's Madrid would be the team answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

dfx- wrote: »
    Rivaldo against Valencia is the unquestionably correct answer, but the 5-0 against Mourinho's Madrid would be the team answer.

It's mental when you look at that Madrid team they beat. It probably cements the answer.

Casillas, Ramos, Carvalho, Pepe, Marcelo, Khedira, Xabi Alonso, Ozil, Ronaldo, Benzema, Di Maria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Original Ronaldo v Man United at old Trafford... He got a standing ovation by the home fans.

Suarez v Norwich... Could add countless Suarez performances by Suarez that season. Some of the best goals I've ever seen by him alone.

I could add on loads more. Many were already mentioned like Gerrard in Istanbul.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Barcelona 5 Real Madrid 0 in 2010

Complete domination by one of the greatest teams of all time at their peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

As to the thread, Waterford coming back from 2-0 down to beat a quality Limerick side in the FAI cup semi final replay in Milltown in 1980 stands out.

In similar vein, Waterford coming back from 2-0 down with three goals in the last ten minutes to beat Cork Hibs away on the last day of the season and pip them to the league in 1972. For individual performances, Miah Dennehy's 18-minute hat-trick to win the cup for Hibs when the same sides met a week later.

In more recent times, the 5-0 win for City away to Shamrock Rovers in the 2016 FAI Cup quarter final is probably the best performance I've seen in the flesh. Rovers were in a bit of a transition with Bradley just taking over, but they weren't a bad side by any means - still got Europe that year. But City just blew them away, 5-0 up after 50 minutes and probably unlucky not to have another few. Rovers returned the favour with a slightly better scoreline last season, that could've ended in double figures had they kept going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

In terms of individuals, the best performance I saw in person was Ronaldo v United in the cl where he got the hattrick at old Trafford, he ran us ragged that day. Kaka would be a close runner up in the game v Milan also in the cl not to mention Keane v Juventus.

I'll have to have a think about the at team performances, been plenty of incredible ones over the years and even recently with United hopping off Leeds but really I think there should be better given the quality of opposition there.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Barcelona 3 Manchester United 1 at Wembley in 2011. United were murdered that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Barcelona 5 Real Madrid 0 in 2010

Complete domination by one of the greatest teams of all time at their peak.

This one, and the 3-1 final win vs United in 2011, are the two awesome performances by that incredible Barcelona side that stick out in my memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Renato Sanchez in the 2016 Euros. Was probably man of the match in every game and showed great maturity for an 18 year old.

Signed for Bayern and then fell off the face of the earth.

Having an excellent season with Lille and still only 23.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    In similar vein, Waterford coming back from 2-0 down with three goals in the last ten minutes to beat Cork Hibs away on the last day of the season and pip them to the league in 1972. For individual performances, Miah Dennehy's 18-minute hat-trick to win the cup for Hibs when the same sides met a week later.

In more recent times, the 5-0 win for City away to Shamrock Rovers in the 2016 FAI Cup quarter final is probably the best performance I've seen in the flesh. Rovers were in a bit of a transition with Bradley just taking over, but they weren't a bad side by any means - still got Europe that year. But City just blew them away, 5-0 up after 50 minutes and probably unlucky not to have another few. Rovers returned the favour with a slightly better scoreline last season, that could've ended in double figures had they kept going.

It appears my recollection of the 1980 cup semi-final is arseways despite being at the game. Waterford were 3-0 up at half time and Limerick came back to 3-2. I do remember it being a thriller correctly though!

The 1972 title decider was another epic. I just read the match report from the Irish Times. Hibs did a lap of honour before the game in Flower Lodge! The attendance was 25,000 generating gate receipts of £5,000. Waterford played with ten men from the 35th minute as only one sub was allowed then. As you said, Waterford's goals all came in the closing 11 minutes. It was Hibs' only home defeat of the season - they'd won the previous 12 home games scoring 43 goals and only conceding 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

1994 European Cup Final - red hot Barcelona were soundly thrashed 4-0 by a superb AC Milan side.

Germany 7-1 Brazil at World Cup 2014 - a stunning team performance by Germany. Professional and efficient. Destroyed the hosts.

Deportivo La Coruna 4-0 AC Milan around 2005 or so - Milan won the first leg 4-1. Depor tore them to shreds at the Riazor. I seem to recall Tristan and Makaay running riot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Most of the ones I was thinking of have been said but going to give a mention to Mourinho's Inter knocking out Pep's Barcelona in 2010. Despite the fact they lost 1-0 on the night, they went through on aggregate against probably the best club team I've ever seen, and beat them through smarts and guts.

1587608180_mourinho-guardiola.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement