Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caitlyn Jenner's statement on trans girls in girls' sports (MOD NOTE IN OP)

Options

Comments

Its not a false equivalence , its literally the same nonsense being dragged up by the same groups just transferred to a different minority. Its what they do. Always keeping a new bogeyman thats coming to attack your way of life.

A tiny minority of people whos lives will never impact most peoples yet some many get riled up at the though that these people get full rights or are looked on as "normal" section of society.

Who exactly are "they"? Is that anyone who doesn't accept Transgendered people? Or are we talking about an actual minority of people who are unreasonable, but the majority of those who don't accept Transgendered people are being reasonable?

As for being the same, I don't see it that way. I grew up as a bisexual male in the 80s/90s, and have lived that way all my teen/adult life. I remember what it was like to "come out" along with the insults and violence that was directed towards homosexuals, in addition to the social stigma. So.. no.. I don't see it being the same for Trans people as it was for homosexuals. Different issues, and a much different set of reactions from society.

Again, with the riled up. Getting angry. It's a often repeated claim by those advocating trans rights. I'm not angry. Not in the slightest. I don't see this as being an emotional topic.
    Its good that people have so few issues in their lives that they need to get so annoyed about trans people.......

The difference being, that in spite of the staggering low numbers of true Trans people (those who have undergone actual attempted gender change), and the larger group of people who self-ID, the Trans debate has been pushed into peoples faces. Those who advocate sought as much public attention as possible.

Let me put it this way. Pronouns and the demands that everyone apply appropriate pronouns to Transgendered people based on their desires. The demand that people accept Trans people. It was a very public movement, that sought recognition from everyone about these issues. That we would need to change our language, and half-formed beliefs on the topic, but that in many instances, refusal would result in some kind of punishment. The whole thing was pushed on to the public.

So, yeah... People have a right to be concerned about Trans issues, because this won't be the last time, that similar demands will be made. Recognition, acceptance, conform or be punished. For many people that seems like an attack on their own beliefs... and for what? A movement with serious drawbacks for the physical and psychological health of the people involved... and worse yet, the desire by many Transpeople (and their supporters) to extend it to children. Damn right people should be concerned about all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,662 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think you need to walk away from that.

You won't like the answers. Its not useful anyway.

For some women having kids having periods ..is a fundamental part of being a woman.

For some trans men or people ..having a period is obv not a fundamental part of being a woman.

trans people know their gender ..but many people don't have to update what they think about their own gender. They just have to be tolerant and sincere.

Its not about examination of ones own gender, its understanding that simple gender understanding based on genitalia, reproduction, periods etc is no longer sufficient.

For the vast majority it is never an issue, the current gender classification is perfectly fine. Transgender athletes are an example of where is does create an issue.

My issue is with people proffering their opinion yet unwilling to take the time to examine the basis if that opinion.

If one cannot define what a male or female is, then how can we say what should or shouldn't be allowed in a sport?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Biology books are based on our traditional understandings. Mainly based on sex. But we now have the knowledge and ability to adapt from that.

So we need to update our thinking.

What to do think is the defining nature of male and female?
    No we don't. Sex is part of the natural world, outside of human construction. All our knowledge cements the 'traditional' understandings on sex, which are also the modern understandings outside of extreme fringe thinkers who are simply incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hhhhh wrote: »
    No we don't. Sex is part of the natural world, outside of human construction. All our knowledge cements the 'traditional' understandings on sex, which are also the modern understandings outside of extreme fringe thinkers who are simply incorrect.
    People are never going to agree on a single definition of gender and sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Biologically we can, as a form of human identity it's a battleground for some.

• Advertisement

the Trans debate has been pushed into peoples faces. .

Very true. But I actually find its the transphobes who push it in to people's faces.

They seem to be the aggressive ones. The LGBT people always seem less aggressive.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Biologically we can, as a form of human identity it's a battleground for some.
    I suppose you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

As opposed to someone who doesn't agree with this trans nonsense, and is simply standing by his beliefs. There was a time when we considered such behavior admirable in people.

I find it interesting the way people have automatically assumed acceptance of trans issues, in spite of all the arguments against the whole movement. Better yet, projecting the belief that anyone who doesn't accept Trans and pronouns must be terribly unreasonable.

It's more nuanced than that. Yes that person is e titled to believe trans is nonsense, but its still just polite to refer to Jenner as a she. It's politeness rather than PC on that one.
    There are lots of people who would happily accept Jenner as a trans women and yet have major difficulties with trans woman in women's sport, in women's prisons, the move to change women's space to non gender specific space and the twaw mantra etc

They haven't chosen to be anything. But even if they did, should people be excluded because they are different?

Should 7foot tall men be excluded from basketball because they are different? No, of course no one would even dream of that.

But its fine to draw imaginary lines for trans?

Actually, they have chosen. They might have chosen to have surgical procedures, or chose to take drug treatments to change their bodies. They chose to become a man or a woman (I'm not agreeing with the claim that they are). But the vast majority of trans people did make a choice. (True enough, some didn't. An extreme extreme minority of the whole.. and society doesn't need to conform for such a small number).

And we get more false equivalences.

There are agreed definitions re sex. If there aren't, how do we identify human remains that have been outdoors for an extended period of time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,662 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Seahorses? When gender is based in physical then it is fairly straightforward. The issue now is that gender also appears to be mental as well, hence those born male mentally are female.

It completely throws out our traditional understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There are agreed definitions re sex. If there aren't, how do we identify human remains that have been outdoors for an extended period of time?

It's hilarious

This is pretty much an admission.

It is a well known tactic used in political campaigns to force people into a place where they are having to deny something. That is the tactic you are using by claiming hate motivates peoples opinions on these issues. I was pointing out your debate tactic. Your conclusion was wholly inaccurate.

It's more nuanced than that.

That's come up a lot on this thread. It's more nuanced. It's a complex topic.

It's not that complicated, nor are there that many nuances to consider.
    Yes that person is e titled to believe trans is nonsense, but its still just polite to refer to Jenner as a she. It's politeness rather than PC on that one.

As opposed to the politeness of respecting the other persons beliefs and not forcing them to use such pronouns? You don't see the irony of your comment?
    There are lots of people who would happily accept Jenner as a trans women and yet have major difficulties with trans woman in women's sport, in women's prisons, the move to change women's space to non gender specific space and the twaw mantra etc

Sure there are. There's lots of people with all manner of opinions. Not sure what your point is.

How is this relevant?
    :rolleyes:

Does everyone agree with that? Do transpeople agree with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,073 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Absolutely not. Gosh you are a spinner.
    It is perfectly normal for some people to identify as the opposite sex. That is how they feel..
    But - contrary to what TRAs claim -
    Transgender people are not literally the opposite sex.
    Self ID does not entitle anyone to enter opposite sex spaces such as sport, refuges, jail, intimate venues.
    Children should not be "affirmed" with drugs that render them infertile, impotent and irreversibly damaged.

Where is your evidence that puberty blockers cause infertility, impotence and irreversible damage?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This is pretty much an admission.

The flip side is that you hate anyone who doesn't accept Transgender people completely. Not disagree. Hate.

It's a ridiculous claim to make. People have opinions, and beliefs. Disagreement doesn't equate to hate, fear, or disgust.

I'd really love to know how you added came to that conclusion from what was posted. Amazing arrogance in your own self righteous beliefs
    This person stated that people who are ACTIVELY campaigning against transpeople in different walks of life , should never have to state they are not transphobes.

Implying people in this thread who have called people 'clownfish' or misgendered Caitlyn Jenner cannot be suspected of being transphobes. They cannot be called transphobes.

It's practically suggesting that transphobes do not exist.

If you want to actively campaign against the rights of transpeople YES i think you should have to prove you don't hate transpeople or THE LEAST you could do is say ' I don't hate transpeople'.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who exactly are "they"?

Conservative groups and people with vested interests making money off these issues (grifters is a good catch all for them)

Again, they need to always have a bogeyman. Take Ireland and 3 referendums. Divorce was going to bring down society, then marriage equality was and then abortion.

Is that anyone who doesn't accept Transgendered people? Or are we talking about an actual minority of people who are unreasonable, but the majority of those who don't accept Transgendered people are being reasonable?

As for being the same, I don't see it that way. I grew up as a bisexual male in the 80s/90s, and have lived that way all my teen/adult life. I remember what it was like to "come out" along with the insults and violence that was directed towards homosexuals, in addition to the social stigma. So.. no.. I don't see it being the same for Trans people as it was for homosexuals. Different issues, and a much different set of reactions from society.

Again, with the riled up. Getting angry. It's a often repeated claim by those advocating trans rights. I'm not angry. Not in the slightest. I don't see this as being an emotional topic.

You dont think trans people suffer with insults, violence and social stigma?

The difference being, that in spite of the staggering low numbers of true Trans people (those who have undergone actual attempted gender change), and the larger group of people who self-ID, the Trans debate has been pushed into peoples faces. Those who advocate sought as much public attention as possible.

Let me put it this way. Pronouns and the demands that everyone apply appropriate pronouns to Transgendered people based on their desires. The demand that people accept Trans people. It was a very public movement, that sought recognition from everyone about these issues. That we would need to change our language, and half-formed beliefs on the topic, but that in many instances, refusal would result in some kind of punishment. The whole thing was pushed on to the public.

So, yeah... People have a right to be concerned about Trans issues, because this won't be the last time, that similar demands will be made. Recognition, acceptance, conform or be punished. For many people that seems like an attack on their own beliefs... and for what? A movement with serious drawbacks for the physical and psychological health of the people involved... and worse yet, the desire by many Transpeople (and their supporters) to extend it to children. Damn right people should be concerned about all of this.

In what way is it being pushed in peoples faces? Every aspect of human life is on peoples phones, computers and tvs now in a way that it never was before. There being more exposure to trans issues is a result of there being more exposure to every aspect of life, but when you focus on one thing (trans people) you see it more. Its the very same as something like looking as or getting a new car. You suddenly notice that type of car everywhere. There wasnt a sudden injection of those cars, you just didnt notice them before.

Its a minor impact on peoples lives being completely blown up

BTW , the exact same stuff about being gay was being "shoved in peoples faces" only a few years ago and no shortage of it around the marriage equality referendum. Your whole post is back up of the trans fearmongering being the very same as it was about gay people previously.

I guarantee you that when trans people become an accepted part of society to the way gay people are there will be another group thrust up as the downfall of society. its as predictable as people falling for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭DeadHand

So instead of just throwing the problem in trans women's faces why don't we come up with a solution?)

The solution is simple and was in place since the foundation of organised sport: segregate sports requiring significant physicality on the basis of biological sex.

A transwoman should not be allowed to compete with women on the basis of the drastic physical advantages their fundamentally male physiological gives them in that contest. This is no more hateful or problematic than suggesting formal physical competition between 30 and 10 year olds be disallowed.

Female athletes have already been injured and had their events unfairly dominated by biological males who were allowed to compete with them.

This is not about excluding trans people from competitive sport entirely. No reasonable person could have a problem with trans athletes competing with the members of the same biological sex they went through puberty as, competing with anyone in contests where physicality is not decisive or competing amongst themselves.

It’s an Emperor’s new clothes type situation whereby every rational adult with a basic understanding of competitive sport knows the situation is grotesquely unfair and dangerous but most are intimidated into silence by the prevailing dogma of the day.

Jenner deserves massive credit for taking a brave stand here.

• Advertisement

Rubbish.

A gay person's identity requires no participation on my part. A trans person's identity requires that i affirm their identity through words or actions.

Exactly. Spot on.

isha wrote: »
    It is a well known tactic used in political campaigns to force people into a place where they are having to deny something. That is the tactic you are using by claiming hate motivates peoples opinions on these issues. I was pointing out your debate tactic. Your conclusion was wholly inaccurate.
    Are you a transphobe?

Who said anything about laughing at Trans people? As for finding a solution, we've gone down this road before, and advocates of trans issues found the proposed solutions to be unacceptable.

Once more, you are trying to suggest that those who don't conform and agree with the trans advocates are being unreasonable. People who become Trans should have every right and benefit that they want, and anything less than that, is unreasonable.

We fix it by recognising that Trans people fit within a category all of their own, separate to either biological males or biological females. They've chosen to be different.

People dont "become" trans and havent "chosen" to be trans. Trans people are trans.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Annasopra wrote: »
    People dont "become" trans and havent "chosen" to be trans. Trans people are trans.
    Exactly, any more than gay people choose to be gay.
    Being trans is not an easy road for the vast majority they deserve support and understanding imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

It takes no effort to refer to someone by the pronouns they wish to be referred to. Like it takes far more effort to be a knob about it.

There’s a huge amount of complexity in this topic, but some poster going ‘he’s right!’ is just the sort of post you’d expect lots of likes from the usual suspects - the angry men who think everything is gone soft these days, this wouldn’t happen in Russia, and that their rights as an angry man who spends far too much time being angry on the internet is somehow being impinged upon by ‘liberals’, ‘cancel culture’, and ‘socialists’.

Ironically enough, well-rounded and masculine men don’t get angry about trans people having rights, or women speaking up etc. They also realise there’s human empathy and complexity involved. Not ‘world gone mad, so angry’. It’s the real dweebish online sorts who get really angry about this stuff.

You made a comment on the first page and referred to people as a bunch of travellers. You used the term in a derogatory way too.
    Pontificating and preaching down to people about respecting on one hand while making insulting comments regarding the travelling community on the other.
    I see you

Let he who is without sin throw the first stone.

Are you a transphobe?

I am not playing your silly game.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Rubbish.

A gay person's identity requires no participation on my part. A trans person's identity requires that i affirm their identity through words or actions.

In what way?
    Do you not affirm a womans identity by calling them Ms/Mrs? Or a mans by calling them Mr? do you use he or she to refer to men and women , gay or straight?

How is using the correct pronouns for a trans person any different?

But more violent inmates are separated from other inmates even though they are the same gender!

Hmm, its almost if a simple divide doesn't solve all the problems

Yep

In every case where there were trans women prisoners in Ireland they were kept separate but yet again noone ever gives a s h i t about female prisoners safety from Cis male staff or other female prisoners until the trans "debate" comes up. The whole prison discussion is complete nonsense. Its complete faux concern. Where it has come up in Ireland it has been risk assessed and the risks have been addressed.

Terry Pratchet

Seahorses? When gender is based in physical then it is fairly straightforward. The issue now is that gender also appears to be mental as well, hence those born male mentally are female.

It completely throws out our traditional understanding

We are talking of sex. As it pertains to humans there are two. What have Seahorses got to do with it?

• Advertisement

isha wrote: »
    I am not playing your silly game.[/QUOTE]

Its called honesty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement