Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caitlyn Jenner's statement on trans girls in girls' sports (MOD NOTE IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You are confusing two points. Woman have had to strive for their own sports, not because they couldn't compete with men, it was that they were not allowed compete at all. There are plenty of sports that women can compete on an equal footing but are separated, mainly because traditionally they weren't allowed partake at all and the only way to get to partake was to keep themselves separate.

I am not for one second arguing that men are stronger than women, or faster etc. But what is the criteria. This thread is based on the fact that one born that is one decided. But while one can always pick extremes one can also do that in any sport. Woods, Jordan, Johnson, Phelps.

They clearly had an unfair advantage over the other males, but nobody was calling for them to be banned. Surely if fairness is at the core of all this angst, then those type of people should be removed from sport.

It's not about Phelps, Jordan etc. The AVERAGE male has an advantage over almost any female, in the majority of sports. Fact. It's not because women just don't try hard enough. It's biology

• Registered Users Posts: 41,078 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It will happen some day. Partic in elite sports. Its the money. We would be naive to think it won't.

There isnt then. Cool

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Jebus, I've read it all now. Put your c003 away and calm down.

You think a 'fight' proves you right.

Marianna Vos would destroy you in a cycle race. Katie Taylor would destroy you in a fight. I guess that make you a woman

Nah you didn't read it all. You skimmed it and thought you found a gotcha.

Katie Taylor is a professional boxer at the top of her game.

So the equivalent male at the top of his game (world champ etc) Vs Taylor.

Mayweather v Taylor. Canelo v Taylor ,GGG v Taylor
    Who wins?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,662 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

jackboy wrote: »
    Again, there are grades in those sports. Those elite athletes are not allowed to compete against the vast majority of other male athletes. Just like they are not allowed to compete again athletes of lower grades, they are not allowed to compete against women.

Right, so the grades already exist. WHat is the problem then?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There are a lot of people who think those two are on steriods too ....allegedly ..and i am not suggesting anything ..it could all be racism who knows.

Venus Williams is one person.

Pick any other top level female tennis player and the point stands. Some lad sitting in the pub thinks he can pick up a tennis racket and cause them trouble because he's a man

• Advertisement

Annasopra wrote: »
    The idea that trans people choose to be trans is complete and utter nonsense.

But transgender is a spectrum. I am not sure what your issue is with that post?

Transgender or trans spectrum: An umbrella term for people whose gender identity differs from the sex they were assigned at birth. The term transgender is not indicative of gender expression, sexual orientation, hormonal makeup, physical anatomy, or how one is perceived in daily life. Note that transgender does not have an “ed” at the end.

https://www.unomaha.edu/student-life/inclusion/gender-and-sexuality-resource-center/lgbtqia-resources/queer-trans-spectrum-definitions.php

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Yes. I would be better at that sport than you because I am male
    I really dont think you understand what rythmic gymnastics is.

Its basically a sport to see how flexible you are. No strength involved. It involves extreme contortion.
    You would NOT be better at that. You would probably break something.

Who wins?

You said you would beat the other poster at all sports. You have no idea of their level, so one can a=only take that its because you are inherently better than them, across all sports no less.
    I give a cast iron guarantee that I would beat you in every single sports discipline there is.

I didn't misread it, I didn't skim through. If you didn't express yourself correctly that is not my fault.

I really dont think you understand what rythmic gymnastics is.

Its basically a sport to see how flexible you are. No strength involved. It involves extreme contortion.
    You would NOT be better at that. You would probably break something.

Why wouldn't I be.

Is it because I'm a man? Are you going to do the very same thing that other posters have been calling me out for? Lol

See how it works

I highly doubt that.

and..
    Who is being self righteous now?;)

Now? It's still you.

• Advertisement

Hhhhh wrote: »

Trans people dont choose to be trans. Its nonsense to suggest they do.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There isnt then. Cool
    Heinrich Ratjen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Ratjen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Ffs. Women have strived for generations to have their own sports. They can't compete against men. End of. We all know even the strongest woman has no chance against the likes of Mike tyson or Floyd Mayweather. Its not some self imposed notion of "weakness". It's the reality of being a female. Stop being ridiculous.

I'm a woman. You aren't if you think that we can just "work harder" to compete against males. Hilarious

It is hilarious also deluded. I wonder if some of the male posters on this thread have any sisters or female cousins, friends etc growing up that they used to play with. Ever before puberty boys are faster then girls. Once a boy hits puberty many of them are stronger then an adult female. This is just basic stuff. The average male is bigger, stronger, faster then the average female. It’s very easy to dismiss these facts when your the one who is stronger.

Who wins?

That's not what you said though. You challenged an anonymous person on the internet. You don't know what level , if any, they play a sport to. So you're just deciding that you can beat a woman at any sport.

You said you would beat the other poster at all sports. You have no idea of their level, so one can a=only take that its because you are inherently better than them, across all sports no less.

I didn't misread it, I didn't skim through. If you didn't express yourself correctly that is not my fault.

You brought up a professional athlete and made a claim. Other posters said same. You are wrong. Again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There are a lot of people who think those two are on steriods too ....allegedly ..and i am not suggesting anything ..it could all be racism who knows.

Do you mean the Williams sisters? No one thinks they are on steroids. They are tested for that stuff. That statement in itself is pure misogyny (and racism), but hey its ok to diminish women and throw them under the bus to try and prove a point and appease a small segment of males I guess.

Serena Williams is an amazing FEMALE athlete. One of the best of all time. No cheating involved. She still can't compete against lower ranked male tennis players, and that's ok, because she is a woman and luckily there is a women's tour.

You are getting really confused.

Either they are heteorsexual men or they are trans ..they can't be both.

Why not? Are there agreed upon definitions re transsexual and heterosexual?

That's not what you said though. You challenged an anonymous person on the internet. You don't know what level , if any, they play a sport to. So you're just deciding that you can beat a woman at any sport.

The average man Vs the average woman at any sport.

10/10 times the man wins.

You can live in fantasy land if you wish but don't expect everyone else to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's fairly open and shut no matter what nonsense the woke brigade will spout.

Males are athletically stronger overall and it would be unfair to allow someone who is a biological male to compete in female events.

Are the woke brigade in cahoots with the PC brigade to implement cancel culture?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Why wouldn't I be.

Is it because I'm a man? Are you going to do the very same thing that other posters have been calling me out for? Lol

See how it works
    I can do the splits ....how are your splits??

These are rythmic gymnastic splits.

34pgyabogz611.jpg

the back bends are going to scare you

• Advertisement

Venus Williams is one person.

Pick any other top level female tennis player and the point stands. Some lad sitting in the pub thinks he can pick up a tennis racket and cause them trouble because he's a man
    Oh yeah that is very definitely true.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Now you're being dishonest. He never said he could beat the best of the best, he clearly meant that an average man will beat an average woman nearly every time. Marianna Vos isn't an average, she's one of the best. She'd lose to the vast majority of male pros though, which is the point.

He knows nothing about the other poster, it could be a top level sportswoman for all they know.

But it doesn''t matter, because male is better is everything no matter what.

Again, no hint of actually any factors beyond male and female.

The issue here is that some boys change themselves to be women, and as such the very nature of gender is starting to be examined.

Clearly not for many on here, but it is an issue and will continue to be. Maybe Vos, Toylor etc have closer similarities to the average make than the average female, should be be tested and maybe moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Trans people dont choose to be trans. Its nonsense to suggest they do.

Poster said it’s a spectrum. Saying something is a spectrum is not the same as saying it’s a choice.

For example as an example of the spectrum Cross dressers are now under the trans umbrella.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Anyone care to define the word "woman"?

mohawk wrote: »
    It is hilarious also deluded. I wonder if some of the male posters on this thread have any sisters or female cousins, friends etc growing up that they used to play with. Ever before puberty boys are faster then girls. Once a boy hits puberty many of them are stronger then an adult female. This is just basic stuff. The average male is bigger, stronger, faster then the average female. It’s very easy to dismiss these facts when your the one who is stronger.

No one is dismissing any of it. Can you point out a post that says there is no physical differences between men and women?

mohawk wrote: »
    Poster said it’s a spectrum. Saying something is a spectrum is not the same as saying it’s a choice.

For example as an example of the spectrum Cross dressers are now under the trans umbrella.
    No they are not. They are just equally protected against violent hate crimes under law.

I can do the splits ....how are your splits??

These are rythmic gymnastic splits.

34pgyabogz611.jpg

the back bends are going to scare you

Yes I can do the splits. No problem.
    That is a warm up stretch in that picture

The average man Vs the average woman at any sport.

10/10 times the man wins.

You can live in fantasy land if you wish but don't expect everyone else to.

Again , that's not what you said. You blindly challenged a poster without knowing who they are or what sports they play.

That isnt an example of a male who identified as female just to compete in sport.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Anyone care to define the word "woman"?

Can you? I find it very difficult. It certainly was easier when I was growing up. Boobs and vagina was it really.

But that has changed now, psychology also appears to be a major component, which I don't think was taken into account before. Trans people feel that the physical is less important that the mental.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement