Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice-Covid High temperature Sickleave

• 02-05-2021 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Would appreciate any advice re the following.

Every morning I get temp check (it is always 38.6 or thereabouts) and if we have any symptons of covid we are not allowed into school. I never have any issues so I have never given any thought to this whole process.

So I have a lot of questions and would be grateful for advice from anyone who
    has had the same issue?

1 What is a 'high temperature'?

2 If you have a high temperature I understand you are to get a covid check and not allowed into work. Must you get a referral from your GP for a covid test?

3 But what happens if your GP can not see you that day? Does that day count as an uncertified day?

If you have had a high temperature I would be grateful if you could share your experiences of this situation.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Your GP won’t see you in any case , you will be questioned over the phone and they will decide to refer you for testing .
    If your temperature is always 38.6, you need to find out why.
    38 and above is high . Who takes your temperature and where?
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/symptoms.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Would appreciate any advice re the following.

Every morning I get temp check (it is always 38.6 or thereabouts) and if we have any symptons of covid we are not allowed into school. I never have any issues so I have never given any thought to this whole process.

So I have a lot of questions and would be grateful for advice from anyone who
    has had the same issue?

1 What is a 'high temperature'?

2 If you have a high temperature I understand you are to get a covid check and not allowed into work. Must you get a referral from your GP for a covid test?

3 But what happens if your GP can not see you that day? Does that day count as an uncertified day?

If you have had a high temperature I would be grateful if you could share your experiences of this situation.

38.6 is generally considered a fever. If you are consistently at 38.6 I’d mention it to the gp in passing- unless you ment 37.6

2. yes if you have any of the 4 signs you must ring gp and discuss whether or not you need to be sent for test. In my experience once they know you work in a school they will send you for a test if there is any question that it could be covid.

3. Covid leave has changed recently - you now need medical proof that you are being sent for a test or that you need to self isolate. I presume this means a cert from the dr re same. I don’t know the practical application of this if you can’t access the gp on the day in question as we have not had that scenario since the changes came into effect. I presume the gp would give you a cert to cover the previous day if you were waiting a call back and were unable to attend work due to symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

lulublue22 wrote: »
    38.6 is generally considered a fever. If you are consistently at 38.6 I’d mention it to the gp in passing- unless you ment 37.6

2. yes if you have any of the 4 signs you must ring gp and discuss whether or not you need to be sent for test. In my experience once they know you work in a school they will send you for a test if there is any question that it could be covid.

3. Covid leave has changed recently - you now need medical proof that you are being sent for a test or that you need to self isolate. I presume this means a cert from the dr re same. I don’t know the practical application of this if you can’t access the gp on the day in question as we have not had that scenario since the changes came into effect. I presume the gp would give you a cert to cover the previous day if you were waiting a call back and were unable to attend work due to symptoms.

Say if you are sent for a test and it’s negative but you still have symptoms is it all just normal sick leave?

Millem wrote: »
    Say if you are sent for a test and it’s negative but you still have symptoms is it all just normal sick leave?

if you are still not well after a negative test covid leave stands for the time until you receive a negative result. Once you test negative and you continue to be absent it reverts to normal sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Curious is the school doing the temp check? I've never heard of that.

If you're regularly getting temps, probably best to see yoir GP if interfering or worrying you about work *not medical advice*

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I am not a teacher but we take our temperatures every day in work (I work in a residential setting). The consistent high temperature readings for us was because the thermometer was broken. If your temperature is consistently above 38 on different thermometers then you need to see your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aine kilbride

Apologies all.
    Temperature is 36.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aine kilbride

Curious is the school doing the temp check? I've never heard of that.

If you're regularly getting temps, probably best to see yoir GP if interfering or worrying you about work *not medical advice*

Not working in mainstream.
    Do you mean that in mainstream schools there is no temperature checks on staff (and students)?

In some stores we have temperature checks and am surprised there does not seem to be one in schools? It takes but 5 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Not working in mainstream.
    Do you mean that in mainstream schools there is no temperature checks on staff (and students)?

In some stores we have temperature checks and am surprised there does not seem to be one in schools? It takes but 5 seconds.

What stores have temperature checks?

Our school has 1100 people in it, who would administer all those temp checks every morning? We have different entrances for each year group and multiple staff entrances too, so it would be a lot of manpower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Our school has 1100 people in it, who would administer all those temp checks every morning? We have different entrances for each year group and multiple staff entrances too, so it would be a lot of manpower.

...and money needed to pay for the equipment. So that's a NO from the department straight away.
    In any event 'schools are safe' so we're immune to covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You are mixing up staff and pupils/general public.

We do temp check on staff every day. The gun is in the staff area and part of the sign in process is a temperature check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Darc19 wrote:

Darc19 wrote:
    We do temp check on staff every day. The gun is in the staff area and part of the sign in process is a temperature check.

Yes. Staff stand in front of camera for two seconds in our place.

(In fairness however one store only that i know do temp check.)

But my original query renains. If you have a high temp and can't enter is this an uncertified sick day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Darc19 wrote: »

So everyone is touching the thermometer every morning on their way in? Seems unnecessarily risky.

Again, we have multiple staff entrances, it would be a lot of congregation if 100 people had to go to a central point to have our temperature taken at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

So everyone is touching the thermometer every morning on their way in? Seems unnecessarily risky.

Again, we have multiple staff entrances, it would be a lot of congregation if 100 people had to go to a central point to have our temperature taken at the same time.

It also doesn't mean anything, because you can lower your temperature with medication before coming to school or you may be asymptomatic.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yes. Staff stand in front of camera for two seconds in our place.

(In fairness however one store only that i know do temp check.)

But my original query renains. If you have a high temp and can't enter is this an uncertified sick day?

Why would it be an uncertified sick day - a high temp is one of the 4 signs of covid - if you have a high temp and work in a school you should ring your gp and he/ she will decide if you need a test. They generally will send you for a test. If not you can still get a cert to cover the day.

All this is covered in the rtw videos on the DES website and covered on the HSE website. TBH I’m the LWR and if colleagues in our school were not following protocol as outlined by the DES and HSE at this stage in the game. I’d be livid.

ETA - no school in our area are taking staff temps.

Advertisement