Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a chamelia

Options
  • 02-05-2021 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Will be laying a patio during the summer and I need to move the chamelia.

I’m no gardener. It hasn’t been well looked after over the years. While I appreciate that people will say to leave it there, and built the patio around it, it just doesn’t work where it is.

I would like to keep it and perhaps transplant it somewhere else but I’m not sure where yet.

I also think that it’s best moved in winter.

Notwithstanding all of that - what’s the best I can do in the next month or so. I was thinking of a large pot and not sure of the rooting system to ensure I don’t damage it too much.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Pic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

Should be fine to move, they don't have an expansive root system.
    When the flowers finish give it a good haircut (as far back as you can while still retaining plenty of leaf), then dig circa 8 inches away from the stem all the way round and at least a foot down. Whether you move to a pot or elsewhere in the ground give it a really good soaking afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Should be fine to move, they don't have an expansive root system.
    When the flowers finish give it a good haircut (as far back as you can while still retaining plenty of leaf), then dig circa 8 inches away from the stem all the way round and at least a foot down. Whether you move to a pot or elsewhere in the ground give it a really good soaking afterwards.

God - that pic makes it look fabulous - I’d +1 for leaving it as an insert in the patio with enough space to absorb rain but I guess you’re against it!!

Camelias like like free soil / or peatmoss only - it looks like its doing great but wherever you move it make sure its into like free soil and dig the hole big enough to put about two or three foot of lime free or peat under and all around it.

Maybe your garden is like free anyway - that plant has certainly done well !

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Yeah it seems like a nice specimen. Sounds silly but There’s a bonsai type canopy about it that I like. A neighbour has one in the front of the garden and it’s more bush like - less structured. But much healthier flowers that open earlier and lasts longer than ours. Previous owner planted it and it was choked with ivy - the whole garden was. It nearly killed me last year to get rid of it all. Since the ivy has gone it’s looked much healthier. But the flowers have brown bases - almost like they weren’t healthy to start with - and fall easily. The leaves can also be brown at the edges also.

I’m not sure I’ve fed it appropriately with whatever nutrients it requires and I think I read it needs mulch to keep it from drying out.

One area I plan to put it is up against a fence and has sunshine from dawn to about 1 pm but will be in shade for the remainder of the day.

Any thoughts on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Camellia might even be happier in a shady spot. Its a big / well established shrub to move but its worth giving it a try if you don't want it where it is. I like the bonsai effect too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'd slab around it and leave it as a lovely feature within your patio.

looksee wrote: »
    Camellia might even be happier in a shady spot. Its a big / well established shrub to move but its worth giving it a try if you don't want it where it is. I like the bonsai effect too.

Thanks for this. Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I think Camellia is better in a spot that's shaded in the morning so that the developing buds aren't damaged by early morning sun on frost. They are essentially woodland plants. Plant with a good helping of ericaceous compost and water copiously for several weeks after moving.

Can I ask what sized pot I would need for a chamelia of that size. Thanks all.

karlitob wrote: »
    Can I ask what sized pot I would need for a chamelia of that size. Thanks all.

Bump on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suspect no one is answering because they know that when you investigate the price of a pot that might fit that camellia - a frost proof, not frost resistant - pot you will probably faint from shock. A huge fibreglass pot might be big enough but they only last a reasonably limited time, maybe 5+ years, which sounds fine until it falls apart and you have to replace it again.

Containers do not come in particular sizes, unlike plant pots which are sized. You just need a very big one, think large half-barrel sized. Transplanting a mature shrub like that into the ground is chancy, transplanting into a pot is a lot less likely to be successful, imo.

looksee wrote: »
    I suspect no one is answering because they know that when you investigate the price of a pot that might fit that camellia - a frost proof, not frost resistant - pot you will probably faint from shock. A huge fibreglass pot might be big enough but they only last a reasonably limited time, maybe 5+ years, which sounds fine until it falls apart and you have to replace it again.

Containers do not come in particular sizes, unlike plant pots which are sized. You just need a very big one, think large half-barrel sized. Transplanting a mature shrub like that into the ground is chancy, transplanting into a pot is a lot less likely to be successful, imo.

Sometimes it feels that everything is expensive.

Thanks for reply. I might try to get a ‘container’ as you suggest and maybe clad it in wood. It’s gonna have to move but I would like it to survive. It’s a very nice plant.

Thanks for reply.

Personally i didn't reply because i already gave instructions on the space to leave around the plant when digging it up.
    Surely that would have given the OP an idea on what size pot was necessary.

Personally i didn't reply because i already gave instructions on the space to leave around the plant when digging it up.
    Surely that would have given the OP an idea on what size pot was necessary.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Sn9pFasSyk4aHXxX7

Great movie!
    What's your vector victor!

No offence meant, a gentle nudge to apply common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

Sometimes it feels that everything is expensive.

Thanks for reply. I might try to get a ‘container’ as you suggest and maybe clad it in wood. It’s gonna have to move but I would like it to survive. It’s a very nice plant.

Thanks for reply.

Can you not find a spot to plant it in the ground? After years of living free, it’s going to hate being in a pot unless you get a huge one I’d say.

Advertisement