Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mystery of the broken down Priests!

• 02-05-2021 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

I went for a shop about midday today and on my way back round the Swrods bypass I came across a car stuck in the left hand turn lane of the Swords Bypass, the main R132 turn towards the Firestation. It was being driven by 2 lads who were well over 80, so I pulled over the help them move the car to a safer spot.

They mentioned they thought the clutch had gone, which it indeed had, I could tell simply by the stench a burnt out clutch makes. I asked them where they had come from and they said Belfast, and it was a hire car. I offered them further help to find a garage etc. but they said Eurocar had an emergency help line to call, I checked they had a mobile phone they could use as they were certainly approaching 90, but they assured me all was fine.

I am just left wondering why 2 Priests would be driving from Belfast, presumably the airport, to the Republic, thereby avoiding our checks on travel for covid etc. etc. Any guesses?

I am driving to Portmarnock for lunch with my in-laws in the next 30 mins I have no doubt they will likely still be parked on the side of the road, I will check up on them again.

Obviously the clothing and the unbuttoned Clerical Collar gave away the religious nature of the two Gentlemen!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ooh intrigue!

Maybe for a funeral? The fact that they're still wearing dog collars at their age means they haven't retired :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

They were gone when I returned, so I assume being close to the airport, Eurocar were able to provide swift assistance, the car was relatively new, I have a feeling the Priest managed to destroy the clutch all by himself between Belfast and Swords!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,320 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Inquitus wrote: »
    They were gone when I returned, so I assume being close to the airport, Eurocar were able to provide swift assistance, the car was relatively new, I have a feeling the Priest managed to destroy the clutch all by himself between Belfast and Swords!

A while since they drove manual maybe

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Good on you for looking after them
    ... It was being driven by 2 lads who were well over 80....

What were the giveaway sign(s) that the lads were well over 80 ? ( asking for a friend :D )

0lddog wrote: »
    Good on you for looking after them

What were the giveaway sign(s) that the lads were well over 80 ? ( asking for a friend :D )

Both had hearing aids, the sort my grandfather had 30 years ago, both looked quite frail, and both looked older than my inlaws, who are in their late 70's, by a significant amount.

It may be the life of a priest has been harder over this time period and the lads looked older than they really were, it was just my estimate based on older folks I know and what they look like and how they hold themselves.

It's amazing how different people of that sort of age look depending on the sort of life they have led, I have relatives in the 60-80 range who led a hard life down the country who look 20 years older than others who led a better life in Dublin or the UK. It's mad to compare how someone who is 70 now looks compared to someone who was 70 thirty years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Both had hearing aids, the sort my grandfather had 30 years ago, both looked quite frail, and both looked older than my inlaws, who are in their late 70's, by a significant amount.

It may be the life of a priest has been harder over this time period and the lads looked older than they really were, it was just my estimate based on older folks I know and what they look like and how they hold themselves.

It's amazing how different people of that sort of age look depending on the sort of life they have led, I have relatives in the 60-80 range who led a hard life down the country who look 20 years older than others who led a better life in Dublin or the UK. It's mad to compare how someone who is 70 now looks compared to someone who was 70 thirty years ago!

Are you sure there weren't another 2 in the back? Fr Tiernan, Fr. Rafter, Fr. Leonard and Fr. Cafferty have been known to traverse Dublin from time to time

Think more a sober Father Jack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I went for a shop about midday today and on my way back round the Swrods bypass I came across a car stuck in the left hand turn lane of the Swords Bypass, the main R132 turn towards the Firestation. It was being driven by 2 lads who were well over 80, so I pulled over the help them move the car to a safer spot.

They mentioned they thought the clutch had gone, which it indeed had, I could tell simply by the stench a burnt out clutch makes. I asked them where they had come from and they said Belfast, and it was a hire car. I offered them further help to find a garage etc. but they said Eurocar had an emergency help line to call, I checked they had a mobile phone they could use as they were certainly approaching 90, but they assured me all was fine.

I am just left wondering why 2 Priests would be driving from Belfast, presumably the airport, to the Republic, thereby avoiding our checks on travel for covid etc. etc. Any guesses?

I am driving to Portmarnock for lunch with my in-laws in the next 30 mins I have no doubt they will likely still be parked on the side of the road, I will check up on them again.

Obviously the clothing and the unbuttoned Clerical Collar gave away the religious nature of the two Gentlemen!
    That would be an ecumenical matter...?

That would be an ecumenical matter...?

Indeed it would be! Why did RTE ever let that show go to Channel 4 when they were offered it first........this has never been proven to be fair, but it is thought to perhaps be the case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Why did RTE ever let that show go to Channel 4 when they were offered it first........
    Hindsight is wonderful!

Most of Fr Ted was filmed in my workplace and it began around 1994ish. I was living in my workplace at the time and all the filming trucks, buses, mobile homes, generators etc. were parked outside my window. Obviously the name 'Father Ted' was unknown or hadn't been created at that stage. I recall asking my manager at the time what was being filmed. He said that he heard it was some series about 3 Irish priests living on an island. We both rolled our eyes as if to say it sounded like a complete load of shíte.

....little did we know! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

this has never been proven to be fair, but it is thought to perhaps be the case!

Its been denied by absolutely everyone involved, that's rather a lot beyond "never proven".

If they were in a rental and the uk has a travel ban still, it would be more logical that they came into Dublin, rented a car, went to belfast and were on their way back to drop the car before flying back out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Intriguing story, I suppose we will never know the full truth .

Just a small point, we have no evidence they were going to or coming from an airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

elperello wrote: »
    ..we have no evidence they were going to or coming from an airport.
    My thoughts also. One doesn't have to go to an airport to rent a car.

My thoughts also. One doesn't have to go to an airport to rent a car.

True, there are only 2 Europcars in Belfast, City and Airport mind. They were both Irish, with accents not from the 6 counties, and that's where this case will close, might as well have been Ted, Jack and Doogle on an adventure, Drink, Feck, Arse!

Advertisement