Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Wokeness gone mad.
    More like countries complaining they are getting labelled with variant names and by association guilty of spreading it. The current nomenclature is hard for the average soul to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's still a rent an opinion pundit! Really won't miss any of these when this is over.

I still remember his first appearance on the Late late show back in March 2020 laughing and joking telling everyone it's nothing to be worried about and here we are 3.5 million deaths later and countless lives changed forever.

Expert my ass.

Tony Holohan appears to have gotten exactly what he wanted.

Clearly, the government was not listening enough to his demands, so off he shoots to Twitter to air his concerns at the weekend, knowing full well they'd gain the publicity that they have -- and nothing else has been discussed all week except what has come out of his Tweet.

Holohan probably wants to slow re-opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The Trinity professor said he's looked "very hard" to find examples of outdoor 'superspreader' events but hasn't really found them
    We won't let that pesky fact get in the way though, will we.

Yeah a voice alright

March 2020 on Late Late Show, he said just wash your hands guys, nothing to worry about.

72 weeks later we are still in lockdown

Knows his stuff

Beware the scientist with a smile.

O'Neill is desperate to become the Brian Cox of immunology/virology, and I'm glad to see that things quickly turned against him. I simply could not understand, very early on in the pandemic, why he was consulted by the media.

He is not even a virologist, and has nothing to add no more than any other scientist. All he wanted to do at the time was flog his book.

His musings are, at best, amateurish - indeed, you can find far more insightful and edifying posts littered throughout this thread.

But as I expected, the mask slipped and now everyone sees O'Neill in exactly the same light I saw him in March-April 2020.

• Advertisement

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is Luke O'Neill rattling off a litany of falsehoods -- all of which are voiced with an air of faux authority:

O'Neill has argued that:
    • hand washing is enough to stop the virus
    • international travel is perfectly acceptable, except to only China
    • masks are ineffective, except only for those who have the virus
    Then, O'Neill the other month recommended one dose for the entire population, meaning that we would now be susceptible to the ravages of the Indian variant and re-opening would have to be delayed - again.

If there is one person to avoid when it comes to scientific predictions and advice during a pandemic, it's Luke O'Neill.

And how much positive pleasure I derive upon seeing each Newstalk video on YouTube attract 50 likes and 780 dislikes. May that continue apace!

Furthermore, I find creepy his stony glare and surgical smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Yeah he's a wannabe virologist

Do you even see the irony in your posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

eskimohunt wrote: »
    For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is Luke O'Neill rattling off a litany of falsehoods -- all of which are voiced with an air of faux authority:

Now do Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You'd swear that scientists were learning about a new virus as they went and how saying something in March 2020 might be out of date a few weeks later when new information comes to light. They'll have to get a new crystal ball

• Registered Users Posts: 27 repub

eskimohunt wrote: »

O'Neill has argued that:
    • hand washing is enough to stop the virus
    • international travel is perfectly acceptable, except to only China
    • masks are ineffective, except only for those who have the virus
    Then, O'Neill the other month recommended one dose for the entire population, meaning that we would now be susceptible to the ravages of the Indian variant and re-opening would have to be delayed - again.

If there is one person to avoid when it comes to scientific predictions and advice during a pandemic, it's Luke O'Neill.

And how much positive pleasure I derive upon seeing each Newstalk video on YouTube attract 50 likes and 780 dislikes. May that continue apace!

Furthermore, I find creepy his stony glare and surgical smile.

Poor Luke had no friends at school, he has finally found (he thinks) a pathway to popularity.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Lets look at what we gained ...

5bn9nt.jpg

But for some that's not enough ....

I look forward to the day Suicide numbers are report with a running daily tally

Missed cancer diagnoses are reported with a running daily tally

Unemployment is reported with a running daily tally

Our national debt is reported with a running daily tally

I could go on.

You'd swear that scientists were learning about a new virus as they went and how saying something in March 2020 might be out of date a few weeks later when new information comes to light. They'll have to get a new crystal ball

Luke O'Neill has been consistently wrong not just once, but continuously over the past 15-months. With a track record like that, he has lost all authority on the matter.

If he is wrong that much in the past, why lend credibility to his comments today?

As for masks, international travel, and handwashing etc., studies were already performed on the efficacy of masks and how pandemics should be controlled. This isn't the first pandemic. Research existed before this pandemic. Details already emerged on the nature of the virus before his comments, too. O'Neill didn't even attempt to become familiar with the research on these matters.

He just repeated what the WHO, or the Government, said.

That's not independent scientific thought or analysis. It's laziness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I think alot of the people in the scientific community struggle to have balanced opinions tbh. Alot of this pandemic has become us v them. Masks v No masks . Anti Vacc v Vaccination. Its going great atm vs another wave about to begin etc.

Devi Sridhar and Scott Gottlieb I think are two that give a balanced outlook on what to expect and what is uncertain going forward.

Luke O'Neill tries to play to the audience , no one wanted a pandemic. O'Neill said what we all wanted to hear in February 2020. Bit of charlatan and not particularly insightful. Likely to retweet positive Covid news every week or so.

It was clear in January 2020 we were likely to be in trouble. O'Neill is the Irish version of Karol Sikora

wadacrack wrote: »
    It was clear in January 2020 we were likely to be in trouble. O'Neill is the Irish version of Karol Sikora

And Karol Sikora is a perfect analogy.

Sikora has been shown to be consistently wrong. People placed faith in his optimism, but it was proven to be shallow and false optimism.

Now nobody listens to Sikora, and very few media outlets have him on.

Since he realized the errors of his ways, he has pivoted toward cancer symptom awareness. That's fine because cancer is what he specializes in, but that doesn't mean we can ignore the falsehoods he preached over a very long period of time - without evidence and with authority.

The bizarre thing with O'Neill is that, no matter how many falsehoods preached, he somehow remains in the media spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Luke O’Neill does my head in but I was in a shop that had the PK show on yesterday, Pat said that there have been out door super spreader events and using Trumps Rose Garden event as an example. O’Neill said there I was no proof of outdoor spread and that there was likely an indoor element to the rose garden event either before or after that most likely caused the infections.

He went up slightly in my estimation for calling out Kenny’d BS.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

This was about 6 week after his Late Late Show appearance. He decided not to wait for the results of the research before sharing the good news

Prof O’Neill said production of the BCG vaccine, first used on humans in 1921, is already “ramping up” in anticipation

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30993442.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It was absolutely obvious by March that we had a problem on our hands. Dr John on YouTube was calling it in February. Why would we just have to wash our hands when Wuhan had people locked in their apartments for weeks and China shut down the country? Its absolutely absurd when you think of it.

Luke O’Neill does my head in but I was in a shop that had the PK show on yesterday, Pat said that there have been out door super spreader events and using Trumps Rose Garden event as an example. O’Neill said there I was no proof of outdoor spread and that there was likely an indoor element to the rose garden event either before or after that most likely caused the infections.

Why does it have to be either / or?

It is quite evidently a combination of both in that case.

He does seem to be correct about that, BLM protests studies and subsequent Covid rates demonstrate this but why would someone go up in your estimation just because of one opinion? . The lack of consistency with his views means I don't really take much notice of his opinion. He will get some right and some wrong but its pretty obvious he's been playing to the audience to increase his profile which is not really helpful in a pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

snotboogie wrote: »
    It was absolutely obvious by March that we had a problem on our hands. Dr John on YouTube was calling it in February. Why would we just have to wash our hands when Wuhan had people locked in their apartments for weeks and China shut down the country? Its absolutely absurd when you think of it.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, my overall point was and still is, people expect scientists to be right all the time, they won't always be right as we've seen, new information continually comes to light and makes even the most recent viewpoint then redundant. Yet then we have oh but you said 3 weeks ago etc etc. Note I'm saying scientist's in general, not referring to Luke O Neill in particular

FYI Dr John isn't a medical doctor by the way (been mentioned here quite a few times so I won't rehash the debate). Doctor of philosophy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

repub wrote: »
    I look forward to the day Suicide numbers are report with a running daily tall. Missed cancer diagnoses are reported with a running daily tally. Unemployment is reported with a running daily tally Our national debt is reported with a running daily tally

I could go on.

You already did ...
    repub wrote: »
    What significance is this really. The R rate won't do anything if you are a) below 70, b) vaccinated.

Country full of loonies.

Looking at no lockdown Sweden here, 1.3% death rate vs confirmed cases. That's .6% lower than Ireland. Overall numbers 0.14% of population mortality, vs. Ireland 0.10.
    What did we gain from lockdown?!

Ireland

significantly lower case numbers per million people compared to Sweden

significantly lower death numbers per million compared to Sweden.

But anything to bang the usual Sweden is better / covid denial rubbish eh?

Heres some more good news ...

According to the CSO Suicides have fallen 20% last year despite Covid challenges

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40300811.html

You already did ...

Ireland

I think a far more pertinent question is, why do we have a very high rate of COVID-19 deaths even though we have had the most severe, long-term lockdown.

You would imagine our case and death rates would be extremely low, but if you look at the graphs, it doesn't seem to be the case at all.

You already did ...

Ireland

But anything to bang the usual Sweden is better / covid denial rubbish eh?

Heres some more good news ...

According to the CSO Suicides have fallen 20% last year despite Covid challenges

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40300811.html

I didn't say Sweden is better. Less people die who get covid in Sweden than ireland by .6%. However, there have more cases per population and more deaths' per population. If your backdrop to the Swedish method is Ireland, there is a strong argument on the benefits of lockdown/or not given the severity and longevity of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I think a far more pertinent question is, why do we have a very high rate of COVID-19 deaths even though we have had the most severe, long-term lockdown.

You would imagine our case and death rates would be extremely low, but if you look at the graphs, it doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Is it?

And in comparison to our closest neighbours and even Sweden we are at the bottom ....

5bokly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

wadacrack wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessary say voice of reason. He downplayed it before this all began. People do listen to him tho yea. Tends to gets his message out in a calm manner. The panic messaging from many other health officials isn't doing anyone any good.

The scenes at the weekend were poor but we yet again we have failed to properly plan for outdoor activities.

Thei is alot of unknowns about the Indian Variant in this country too. Going forward the HSE need better surveillance of voc's/voi's . That along with a good vaccine rollout and restrictions should be avoided. The lack of long term planning is a concern tho. Learning very little as this goes on.

This Vietnam variant initially sounds like it could be even more transmissible aswell!

I said this last year but Government and authorities need to be planning alternative ways to manage the crisis. Look at England, one of the worst countries to respond to the crisis and they are concerned about the Indian variant. If there was another surge , I’d prefer we have a more sustainable strategy if there is rolling restrictions required over the next 10 months.

Also, will keep an eye on Israel, will be great if they prove that mostly vaccinated countries will be able to manage alternative variants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Dogs on the street knew it was airbourne by March

Redditors knew about it in January lol

That's why you're not a scientist.

"Knowing" something in science involves statistically significant evidence. That didn't exist in March 2020. Science is a process and it's important that conclusions aren't made on the same basis that dogs in the street make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

snotboogie wrote: »

Make no mistake about it O'Neill and others like him screwed up royally in early 2020. Putting him on the most popular chat show in the country laughing and joking about what was on the way telling people not to worry was a disgrace. The late late is generally watched by older people who where the actual vulnerable and i do wonder how many took O'Neill at face value and continued on like normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Deja Vu anyone - China reports human case of H10N3 bird flu, a possible first, but the risk of large-scale spread is low they say

https://apnews.com/article/china-bird-flu-flu-health-b5862e1d9892b25fdb470abf30432289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

FYI Dr John isn't a medical doctor by the way (been mentioned here quite a few times so I won't rehash the debate). Doctor of philosophy

Doctor of philosophy, PHD in teaching bioscience in national and international nurses education

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/dr-john-campbell-5256223b

- diploma in nursing
    - certificate in tropical diseases
    - certificate in nurses education
    - Bachelor of Arts
    - biology and health BSe
    - post graduate certificate in pharmacology
    - msc health science
    -nurse tutor/lecturer university of Cumbria
    - NHS A&E nurse

Been following him since February last year. A fantastic source of information , actually corrects any mistakes made, how often to tweeters, or news papers or news sources correct themselves?. Links all the information he discusses. A lifetime in nursing, training nursing and education in medicine. As a teacher , he’s brilliant at explaining stuff from medical journals the average joe couldn’t understand.

He’s mostly been way ahead of the curve. Regularly see stuff on mainstream media days/weeks after Dr John has already discussed it.

He’s well respected by multiple professionals who have been on his channel or have their own. Ones like medcram who are setup by highly qualified medical consultants in USA who do videos to help medical students training in USA think very highly of Dr John and have done Q&A with him.

That’s a fairly decent endorsement.

Advertisement