Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The Vietnamese scariant next.

nah the Yorkshire ones most obviously the best :eek::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭brickster69

But the variants?

Gone to Spain & Portugal on holiday.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The Vietnamese scariant next.

I thought they were all the variants were Greek now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Roger_007 wrote: »

Haven’t received their passports yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭brickster69

Roger_007 wrote: »

Problem with that is there are about 3000 variants and only 24 letters in the Greek Alphabet

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Problem with that is there are about 3000 variants and only 24 letters in the Greek Alphabet

They should have used Roman numerals. We should be up to M , (Bettystown variant), by this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's only for VOCs and there are hundreds of thousands of variants.

It appears that the Vietnamese variant combines the worst elements of the highly transmissible UK variant with the worst elements of the highly transmissible Indian variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

eskimohunt wrote: »
    It appears that the Vietnamese variant combines the worst elements of the highly transmissible UK variant with the worst elements of the highly transmissible Indian variant.

Oh, that's surely good though no, as the vaccines have been shown to work effectively against both the UK and Indian variant. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1399759933353168897

As of midnight, Monday 31 May, we are reporting
    337* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

34 in ICU. 89 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Luckily nothing to suggest vaccines dont work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The UK is doing much better with less hospitalisations and deaths since the new variants came along.

So why the speculation that their big re opening on June 21 may be delayed? Im not offering an opinion btw just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Frankly I'm astounded that the bodies aren't piled high on the streets of London and Manchester considering how lethal and transmissible the India variant is supposed to be. Could it be that we were mislead slightly by the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

timmyntc wrote:
    wha??

Read your own posts.

It has one single mutation from B.1.1.7. It's a recurring one that has popped up in a few lineages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Could the UK be making a bigger deal than necessary out of the Indian variant to encourage vaccine take-up?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’d say it could be big numbers in the likes of Bolton. A poster here had been in that area last week or two, said no masks, social distancing, add in vaccine hesitancy, EID and it adds up to spreader events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Looks like case numbers are slightly dropping the last week or so??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Could the UK be making a bigger deal than necessary out of the Indian variant to encourage vaccine take-up?

I would think/hope so.

There is a growing number of massive protests that seem to be gathering pace in London in particular, I can't seem to find any news on any spikes in infections, mind you, the media are downplaying the size of the protests.

Last Saturdays protest was absolutely huge, it'll be interesting to see what impact that has on case numbers.

I think the Indian Variant is being used there (and here) for compliance...it could be an interesting summer!!

Anyone listening to those bluffers Shortall and Boyd Barrett on Radio 1, they would happily bankrupt the country if given the opportunity. They cannot distinguish between "unable" and "unwilling" to work. Just disincentivise people from returning to employment forever, handy €350 weekly to float along. Meanwhile folks on basic jobseekers allowance are hounded relentlessly for Tús community (indentured slavery) schemes or have their payments cut overnight. Hypocrisy of the lowest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Anyone listening to those bluffers Shortall and Boyd Barrett on Radio 1.

What did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

Anything is possible with them, but some suggested the Kent variant was a political diversion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Looks like case numbers are slightly dropping the last week or so??

7 day average in cases 415, last week it was 443.

In hospital 89 and in ICU 34 it was 103 and 41 last Tuesday

Open up ta fu*k!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,463 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Be interesting to see if last weekend's outdoor drinking that shocked Tony so much and result in spikes or not. A good test, fair play to the volunteers!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Edz87 wrote: »
    Open up ta fu*k!

Well thought out logical argument

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Polar101 wrote: »
    Anything is possible with them, but some suggested the Kent variant was a political diversion too.

Yeah I don't doubt that it's genuinely a VOC but just that the concern may not be as big as is being made out. Might just be wishful thinking on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Be interesting to see if last weekend's outdoor drinking that shocked Tony so much and result in spikes or not. A good test, fair play to the volunteers!

I'm 99% certain it won't result in a spike. My thinking is it never has before so why would it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Any sign of them reporting how many people died with covid in May? Any indication at all?

Or does saying "zero" put certain peoples outrage into stark perspective?

Advertisement