Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

When will cases per county be back?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feel the most important opening will be the UKs (think its only England though) big last reopen due later in June

Lets hope if its successful we will follow suite end of July/Mid-late August

Any sign of them reporting how many people died with covid in May? Any indication at all?

Or does saying "zero" put certain peoples outrage into stark perspective?

At this stage, they should be reporting daily vaccination numbers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

Any sign of them reporting how many people died with covid in May? Any indication at all?

Or does saying "zero" put certain peoples outrage into stark perspective?

We probably have to wait until Thursdays briefing, below is what was reported last week.
    corkie wrote: »

Covid-19 deaths ‘collapse’ with eight confirmed in 12 days

Speaking at a weekly briefing on Thursday, the HSE’s chief clinical officer Dr Colm Henry said there had been eight deaths from Covid-19 in the 12 days from the data breach to Wednesday.

^^^ What is not clear is when the deaths (RIP) occurred.

I'm 99% certain it won't result in a spike. My thinking is it never has before so why would it now?

People get too fearful with words such as "spike".

A "spike" in cases is only bad if it translates into a rate of hospitalization that can overwhelm a health system.

I take leave to doubt that, even if a "spike" were to occur due to social mixing at the weekend, it would lead to a reversal of fortunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Foghach

Just wondering if anyone could advise please. I have a relative in their late 60s who got the AZ jab mid April. I was reading that the first jab only provides 33% protection against the Indian variant but I actually don't know what that means for them. They are a little anxious so would anyone know how protected they are currently against the Indian variant and how long after the second jab will they be protected against it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

It's always great to see the hospital numbers dropping, sometimes by 10-15 people per day, but here's a lad that spend 127 days on the numbers list, now discharged

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0601/1225455-family-reunion-after-virus/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Foghach wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could advise please. I have a relative in their late 60s who got the AZ jab mid April. I was reading that the first jab only provides 33% protection against the Indian variant but I actually don't know what that means for them. They are a little anxious so would anyone know how protected they are currently against the Indian variant and how long after the second jab will they be protected against it? Thanks.

The 33% stat after one dose is relative to symptomatic disease, there's no data yet on effectiveness of one dose against severe disease or death but scientists say it will be higher than effectiveness against symptomatic infection.

2 doses of vaccine 87% (Pfizer) and 60% (AstraZeneca) effective at preventing symptomatic infection.

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1399761954848321539?s=20

They should probably talk to their GP about any concerns or ring HSE for clarification about level of protection following dosing intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

When is Eileen Dunne going to stop saying Stay Safe at the end of the 9 O'clock News?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Polar101 wrote: »
    Considering it's on WorldNetDaily, I'm going with the "may not".

Grand no problem thats fine ...WND is an aggregrate newsite which yes seems to have a rarified mixture of everything :D... not the original source which I was looking for late that night....

I was though looking at the content/sources not the platform/website etc. Maybe if people ( defo not refering to above poster) earlier on last year had done that... we might be in a better situation now knowledge wise. Eg. certain social media sites that have had to now...roll back on their previous censorship of some of the origin possibilities like the one just mentioned by Rusty.

David Asher for those who dont know...is an experienced former lead investigator of the US state investigation in to the origins of Sars coV2. He is the person quoted as mentioning the wife of the researcher who died in the article first posted.

A fuller explaination is below of the source of the earlier suspected cases and with Asher mentioned again near the end re the researchers wife.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9632921/Is-Patient-Su-Covids-Patient-Zero-asks-IAN-BIRRELL.html

Yeh and I get it some of you might not like the above source either... :cool: but at this stage much of the other more 'established' media/journalists really failed us this last year and left a vaccum.
    This information could still potentially feed into either versions of the main hypotheses at the moment.

What I dont get clearly from the piece is if the potential patient zero the 61 year old woman is the researchers wife or not? Any thoughts from anybody after reading it? She fell ill as a suspected case sept 29 before the lockdown of the lab in october which maybe totally coincidental or not. Sadly she passed away. And whether these early suspected cases include the 3 lab researchers that ended up seriously ill in hospital early november(re WSJ)?

Anyway off to try and try track down the Health times interview mentioned with the expert biostatiscian and maybe have a look at this drastix group stuff who spotted the info.

Anyone that favors the zoonotic hypotheses post here? Need to keep all avenues still open. And does anyone remember the shutting down of some big national park with caves over there very early on last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

speckle wrote: »
    Grand no problem thats fine ...WND is an aggregrate newsite which yes seems to have a rarified mixture of everything :D... not the original source which I was looking for late that night....

I was though looking at the content/sources not the platform/website etc. Maybe if people ( defo not refering to above poster) earlier on last year had done that... we might be in a better situation now knowledge wise. Eg. certain social media sites that have had to now...roll back on their previous censorship of some of the origin possibilities like the one just mentioned by Rusty.

David Asher for those who dont know...is an experienced former lead investigator of the US state investigation in to the origins of Sars coV2. He is the person quoted as mentioning the wife of the researcher who died in the article first posted.

A fuller explaination is below of the source of the earlier suspected cases and with Asher mentioned again near the end re the researchers wife.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9632921/Is-Patient-Su-Covids-Patient-Zero-asks-IAN-BIRRELL.html

Yeh and I get it some of you might not like the above source either... :cool: but at this stage much of the other more 'established' media/journalists really failed us this last year and left a vaccum.
    This information could still potentially feed into either versions of the main hypotheses at the moment.

What I dont get clearly from the piece is if the potential patient zero the 61 year old woman is the researchers wife or not? Any thoughts from anybody after reading it? She fell ill as a suspected case sept 29 before the lockdown of the lab in october which maybe totally coincidental or not. Sadly she passed away. And whether these early suspected cases include the 3 lab researchers that ended up seriously ill in hospital early november(re WSJ)?

Anyway off to try and try track down the Health times interview mentioned with the expert biostatiscian and maybe have a look at this drastix group stuff who spotted the info.

Anyone that favors the zoonotic hypotheses post here? Need to keep all avenues still open. And does anyone remember the shutting down of some big national park with caves over there very early on last year?

This reads like it should be smeared on a wall tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

D.Q wrote: »
    This reads like it should be smeared on a wall tbh

Pardon..what exactly do you mean in plain english? Can you elaborate... my writing or the content of the articles? And what does tbh stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

When is Eileen Dunne going to stop saying Stay Safe at the end of the 9 O'clock News?

As long as she doesn’t say stay at home also

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Foghach

The 33% stat after one dose is relative to symptomatic disease, there's no data yet on effectiveness of one dose against severe disease or death but scientists say it will be higher than effectiveness against symptomatic infection.

2 doses of vaccine 87% (Pfizer) and 60% (AstraZeneca) effective at preventing symptomatic infection.

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1399761954848321539?s=20

They should probably talk to their GP about any concerns or ring HSE for clarification about level of protection following dosing intervals.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Be interesting to see if last weekend's outdoor drinking that shocked Tony so much and result in spikes or not. A good test, fair play to the volunteers!

Well Antony Staines of ISAG was on Claire Byrne last night and said it won't cause any spike. There is no reason to believe it even might.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Well Antony Staines of ISAG was on Claire Byrne last night and said it won't cause any spike. There is no reason to believe it even might.

Staines said what??????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The hospitalisation rate of the current victims of the virus (18-50 group) seems to be incredibly low - hospital numbers are plummeting but still decent numbers of people with the virus for confirmation.

Is this info given out? It looks like it’s 1 or 2 out of 500 that need hospital care now with the virus.

At that rate 500,000 of these people could get covid in the next month and it would translate to just 2000 hospital visits, we had around 1700 needing hospital care in one day back in January.

It’s hard to understand what exactly they are worried about now, this thing is over, this rate isn’t going to jump and these people are being vaccinated this month and next anyway. If it’s the variants that are still driving this paranoia with restrictions we really need to get a grip, we could spend our whole lives locked down worrying about one variant or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0602/1225495-coronavirus-australia/

Melbourne, Australia. Spent their past winter in 2020 in lockdown for months. Now extending this lockdown. The zero Covid extremists want people here to believe Covid isn’t seasonal and that once you get to zero, all is fine and dandy. This is not the case.
    This spread from Melbourne came from a quarantine hotel. It is not the more transmissible variant in the U.K. - but not having their vaccine roll out up and running properly will leave Australia vulnerable to lockdowns and their population with no immunity to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    When will cases per county be back?

Not being smart but I’d like to see a move other way...Maybe only getting numbers Monday - Friday....Basically a reduction in reporting...I don’t think any politician has raised this?? Or like anyone of any importance?? Think it is important we move away from this - gradually speaking - does have negative impact on people’s mental health....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Melbourne, Australia. Spent their past winter in 2020 in lockdown for months. Now extending this lockdown. The zero Covid extremists want people here to believe Covid isn’t seasonal and that once you get to zero, all is fine and dandy. This is not the case.
    This spread from Melbourne came from a quarantine hotel. It is not the more transmissible variant in the U.K. - but not having their vaccine roll out up and running properly will leave Australia vulnerable to lockdowns and their population with no immunity to Covid.

Its the Indian variant, which is probably slightly more transmissible than Kent. (It is displacing Kent as the dominant strain in the UK which means it must have an advantage).

They're going to have trouble reeling it in. And while Australia and NZ have done well so far, they really are backed into a bit of a corner at the moment. How can they open up, and will their population (when vaccinated) accept the inevitable cases that come in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not being smart but I’d like to see a move other way...Maybe only getting numbers Monday - Friday....Basically a reduction in reporting...I don’t think any politician has raised this?? Or like anyone of any importance?? Think it is important we move away from this - gradually speaking - does have negative impact on people’s mental health....

If restrictions and lockdowns are in place based on numbers then people need to be told what those numbers are.

Remember that the imposition of these restrictions was supposed to be a very serious matter, not to be taken lightly. Any honest government would be very clear on what the key metrics are and when their overreach was going to end.

They have already taken far too many liberties with their "Throw another few months on and see what happens" approach. Do we really want the likes of Tony and his vested interests to be able to extend certain restrictions further based solely on vague threats and scaremongering?

They should be very clear on what is important, and then they should tell us exactly where we stand in relation to that.

I for one would actually like to know what the current death rate from covid is and find it implausible that they claim not to know, regardless of any system issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

When the majority are vaccinated and they have gone through the age groups surely no need for case numbers and deaths anymore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

True these countries will likely see a surge at some stage. If no idea on the vaccine rollout but I'd imagine the uptake could be much lower in these countries when they have supply.

"It is believed to be the 17th time in six months that the virus has leaked out of Australia's makeshift hotel quarantine facilities, which are now facing tough scrutiny "

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Its the Indian variant...

It's the Kappa variant. Please try to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    When the majority are vaccinated and they have gone through the age groups surely no need for case numbers and deaths anymore ?

Do you look at those figures anymore? I don't, or no one has mentioned them to me in the last month, time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    They'll still be reported, just as flu' is, but will be of no great importance. You can see by the lack of discussion on this thread how little they matter, even now.

Do we really want the likes of Tony and his vested interests to be able to extend certain restrictions further based solely on vague threats and scaremongering?

Whilst I agree with your entire post, what vested interests does Tony have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

If restrictions and lockdowns are in place based on numbers then people need to be told what those numbers are.

Remember that the imposition of these restrictions was supposed to be a very serious matter, not to be taken lightly. Any honest government would be very clear on what the key metrics are and when their overreach was going to end.

They have already taken far too many liberties with their "Throw another few months on and see what happens" approach. Do we really want the likes of Tony and his vested interests to be able to extend certain restrictions further based solely on vague threats and scaremongering?

They should be very clear on what is important, and then they should tell us exactly where we stand in relation to that.

I for one would actually like to know what the current death rate from covid is and find it implausible that they claim not to know, regardless of any system issues.

Not for a moment suggesting all reporting is gotten rid of - just a reduction so to speak...I believe other countries have done similar...Only my opinion and what I would like to see happen...

I suppose I am thinking ‘When is less reporting going to happen’...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Australia's response to covid really has opened my eyes to Australia being an authoritarian, lying, manipulative sh1tshow tbh. On a different magnitude to our own manipulative, lying sh1tters. And thats saying something.

• Advertisement

True, it's worse - the Indian variant.

Advertisement