Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

eskimohunt wrote: »
    True, it's worse - the Indian variant.
    Ahem, the Delta variant!

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ahem, the Delta variant!

Enough of that PC nonsense. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Ahem, the Delta variant!

kappa ?? - oh im lost already

kappa ?? - oh im lost already

B.1.617.2 is Delta
    B.1.617.1 is Kappa

Hardyn wrote: »
    B.1.617.2 is Delta
    B.1.617.1 is Kappa

Give that Non Layman a Nobel prize, Jesus your hardcore into the virologists nomenclature aren't you

good man, I mean good homosapien :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I can see Australia building dedicated Quarantine centres miles from major cities to stop leaks from hotels- I’m so glad to have traveled extensively there over the year- the place genuinely has a special place in my heart, I may never get to go again the way things are shaping up:(

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The new variant has a transmissibility advantage of about 70% and the respective R numbers are around 0.9 and 1.5, though with some regional differences. That corresponds to a doubling time of B.1.617.2 of about 8 days

https://twitter.com/alexselby1770/status/1400043619738869768

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

wadacrack wrote: »
    The new variant has a transmissibility advantage of about 70% and the respective R numbers are around 0.9 and 1.5, though with some regional differences. That corresponds to a doubling time of B.1.617.2 of about 8 days

I wonder to they take into consideration the fact that people are mixing more now. How do they factor in things like that the Indian variety is circulating in a time when more people are active due to end of lock-downs. Also in some instances the population that the variety has been circulating in is more family centered and have bigger family sizes and less space to confine.

wadacrack wrote: »

Very important caveat to this. That's transmission advantage from all causes. Not just those inherent to the variant itself.

https://twitter.com/andrew_croxford/status/1400056546755846146?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

It's an odd thing about Australia. Ever since the rabbit invasion and having to constantly cull them, they are absolutely paranoid about external species of anything entering Australia. Like at customs there are constant constant reminders that you will be massively fined and possibly jailed if you bring in anything natural into the country, like food or wooden objects. And they have loads of customs agents ready to search your bags.

I wasn't entirely surprised that they went for the zero covid policy fairly early on as it's consistent with this fear of external lifeforms coming into the country and spreading like wildfire. Funnily enough, the paranoia is probably well placed when it comes to mice or rabbits or insects, as the Aussie weather is pretty conducive to species surviving and spreading. But when it comes to Covid, given it doesn't spread well outside, and the Australian lifestyle is very much an outdoor lifestyle, it was likely that Covid would not spread as well there as it did (and still is) in other countries. Plus add in that lots of the population are spread out in the countryside, and I wouldn't say that the major cities are as densely populated as, Paris or New York.

I do feel sorry for the people in Melbourne. It definitely shows that zero covid does not mean you can open for business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I wonder to they take into consideration the fact that people are mixing more now. How do they factor in things like that the Indian variety is circulating in a time when more people are active due to end of lock-downs. Also in some instances the population that the variety has been circulating in is more family centered and have bigger family sizes and less space to confine.

The Kent variant is declining while the Indian one continues to grow. The attack rate on close contacts is greater too.

https://twitter.com/TWenseleers/status/1399989484138213377

407 new cases.

Even after the Indian and Vietnamese variant, there will be countless others.

But we cannot close the economy every time a variant rears its head.

So we must proceed, cautiously but irreversibly, with the Government plan to re-open society and the economy.

Numbers out early again - 407 cases, 34 in ICU, the same as yesterday.

Meanwhile NPHET, those doom mongers sans pareil, say something positive!
    There is increased confidence that the planned easing of restrictions for June remains low to medium risk, the National Public Health Emergency Team has said.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0602/1225525-ireland-covid/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I don't fully understand why the ransomware attack has stopped death reporting. Surely that is the easiest of all to report on manually as the volumes are so low?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I don't fully understand why the ransomware attack has stopped death reporting. Surely that is the easiest of all to report on manually as the volumes are so low?

Says here deaths can be registered currently.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/registering-a-birth-death-or-marriage/how-to-register-a-death-in-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Numbers out early again - 407 cases, 34 in ICU, the same as yesterday.

Meanwhile NPHET, those doom mongers sans pareil, say something positive!

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0602/1225525-ireland-covid/

Wow, the team in charge of Europe’s slowest reopening don’t think anything should make it even slower.

BigMo1 wrote: »

To be honest, I think they want to drag out the restrictions for as long as possible and they have a perfect excuse not to report on deaths right now. (There likely is very little to none)

Reporting 0 deaths everyday doesn't look great. Not reporting at all gives the impression that deaths may still be happening.

I'm sure those calling the shots are well aware of how few are now dying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,788 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

To be honest, I think they want to drag out the restrictions for as long as possible

Why?

To prolong the costs of PUP?
    To prolong the GDP consequences?
    To shut down business and/or industries to:
    - reduce employment
    - reduce income tax take
    - reduce FDI
    - increase social welfare needs
    - increase social housing needs

All of those reasons? Any more you are thinking?

The government will want the country open and operating again. They are also cowardly, inept and afraid of being blamed for deaths if they open and there is a big spike.

It is far more likely they are risk averse rather than wanting to bankrupt the country.

But please, explain your rational on WHY they want to prolong restrictions as long as they can - and i'm looking for the 'why' of that, not you pointing to decisions they have made that do prolong the restrictions, that is not evidence of why they would want to.

Why?

Because power and influence are addictive, and NPHET have been sorely deprived of both forms of oxygen in recent weeks.

• Advertisement

De Gascun saying the incidence of the Delta(Indian) variant seems to be stable, up from 97 to 115 cases.

Also on reporting deaths, Dr Tony Holohan said that two thirds of deaths - those notified to the GRO - are not being picked up at the moment but this will be rectified shortly.

If the government were afraid of being blamed for deaths then who made the decision to put Covid positive people into nursing homes?

Was it Holohan?

Why?

- reduce employment
    - reduce income tax take
    - reduce FDI

The government will want the country open and operating again. They are also cowardly, inept and afraid of being blamed for deaths if they open and there is a big spike.

It is far more likely they are risk averse rather than wanting to bankrupt the country.

But please, explain your rational on WHY they want to prolong restrictions as long as they can - and i'm looking for the 'why' of that, not you pointing to decisions they have made that do prolong the restrictions, that is not evidence of why they would want to.

You answered it yourself here. There is no big hidden agenda.

Just a bunch of very well paid cowards taking advice from a bunch of risk adverse, very well paid doctors. None of them have suffered or will suffer too much from any economic downturn.

If questions are ever asked they'll all just shrug their shoulders and mumble something about "saving lives".

Easier to just borrow billions, sit in lockdown for months and months and hit the tax payers hard down the line.

Why?

- reduce employment
    - reduce income tax take
    - reduce FDI

It’s staggering how many are unaware of just how insulated politicians and public servants are from the economic crisis looming.

The guys making the recommendations (NPHET) and those rubber stamping (MM & Leo) them won’t suffer any effects from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

The budget is start of October, honestly think they want us locked down as close as possible to it to justify the major tax hikes that are coming.

Either that or they are completely clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The budget is start of October, honestly think they want us locked down as close as possible to it to justify the major tax hikes that are coming.

Either that or they are completely clueless.

How would a long lockdown justify tax hikes ? I am not with you

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    How would a long lockdown justify tax hikes ? I am not with you

Because the lockdown costs tens of millions a day that will need to be paid back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

6 things we learned from the NPHET briefing on Covid-19

"

Highest case rates in Donegal, Limerick, Offaly and Dublin

The counties with the highest incidence rate of Covid-19 are Limerick (376 cases per 100,000 people over the last 14 days), followed by Donegal (201), Offaly (172) and Dublin (155).

That national 14-day incidence rate stands at 122 cases per 100,000 people.

Increase in number of cases of Delta variant

The head of the National Virus Reference Laboratory has said there have now been 115 cases of the Delta (Indian) variant of Covid-19 detected around the country.

Dr Cillian de Gascun said this is up from 97 last Friday.

He said the incidence of the variant seems to be stable, but added that it remains a concern, especially if it makes its way into a "super spreader event".

"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭crossman47

Edz87 wrote: »
    If the government were afraid of being blamed for deaths then who made the decision to put Covid positive people into nursing homes?

Was it Holohan?

No. Hes not in charge of operations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Avon8

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0602/1225601-watch-covid-19-briefing-from-the-department-of-health/

"Prof Nolan said it was 'good news' that incidence of the virus in most age groups is stable but said there has been a significant increase in infections among young adults aged between 19-24 over the last two weeks."

So given that our numbers are dropping slightly, the numbers of all at risk people are falling hugely and the people getting it are the people who it has zero effect on. Surely this is a cause for celebration? It's understandable that they don't want anyone getting it, but the negative remark about young people seeing a significant increase doesn't see a corresponding positive remark that it's falling significantly in the much more important cohorts. Just 'stable'. As if it's staying the same, which is the current narrative

Advertisement