Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

2.5% was too high even in the summer. HSE data had it at 1.1% on November 17th and they don't include booster data in their model deliberations.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Steveimitation

The problem is that they expect us to do that indefinitely and thats just not realistic.

102 in ICU. Will we see it go below 100 this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Apologies if this has been covered in the thread. Does anyone know if the covid cert will automatically be updated to show booster or is there anything that needs to be done from publics side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

If it goes below 100 they’ll close the pubs completely!!!!!

• Advertisement

Hard to just get on with it if you have lost your income once again or your business is on the verge of collapsing or you can't pay your bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Not everyone agrees that prolonging a single life at any cost to the quality of life to everyone else is a worthwhile, or even morally defensible, pursuit. Essentially those two positions are the basis for all the back-and-forth on this thread.

It’s no life. I’d rather take my chances with the worst strain of covid than live any longer like we have been doing.

According to fiery mutant I should lock myself away with my dad and get food delivered to us. I have absolutely no life as it is and getting to the shops just to chat to somebody is all I have to look forward to.

Sorry, I’m having a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No details released yet as to how this will be done, so no action needed on your part right now (other than getting the booster).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Thank you for that , got booster yesterday, feel rough as f......

• Advertisement

But again, it's not a case of 21 more in hospitals from 10k cases today, it's around 75 hospital admissions from 6k cases a week ago, so in the region of 12 hospitalisations per 1,000 cases, i.e. around 1% CHR compared to....

Sure but they've already been on this higher trajectory for over a week, with little indication so far of it going very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

We can forget about Christmas and New Years, but if we can get those ICU figures down to a very low level by March 17th, we may have a meaningful Paddy's day.

It will require serious effort, and a number that nobody knows, but it can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Sorry to hear. I have OCD and this whole thing has set me back over a decade. I hope to bounce back if all this ends but no guarantee how long that will take. Id personally prefer taking my chances with covid too than put up with this for years. Now i know thats just me but the point is that its all far from black and white. There are many other ways for lives to be badly damaged aside from those dying of covid. Its not a nice conversation to have but its true. It is tragic for those dying with covid but people are being affected in other terrible ways and they shouldn't be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I don’t think you got an answer to this and while I don’t know the answer for certain, there might be something to take from the South African experience. They saw a hospitalisations increase there, but a much larger % were incidental findings. That is, a much higher % than other waves were admitted for other reasons and were found to be positive on admission. And that makes sense as the transmissibility is so high it’ll matierially change the % of people positive at any one time so what naturally follows is an increase in “hospitalisations”. The South African stats on oxygen dependency and ICU were very low as a % of all hospitalisations though so that’s probably the stat to watch from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

A lot of people with addictions have also severely relapsed since covid. Awful for them and the family members being told/made to "stay at home to save lives" with them.

Im another in the "I'll take my chances rather than keep living like this" camp.

It was higher off a smaller testing total yesterday but it's been in that 14%-18% range for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I know how you feel. I got my booster last month. Arm felt like it was physically stabbed and I was in a drunk/tired daze for 24 hours.

Itll sound cliched but I found a few paracetamol set me back to normal quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It doesn't look quite so bad when it's "only" 16.88%, but the 7-day rate is the highest since 15th January.

It's also the largest number of positive swabs in one day since 7th January.

It doesn't "feel" like huge numbers because they're not miles away from where we were, but in a week or so, they will likely be huge numbers.

No indication that these anecdotes about quiet swabbing centres and hundreds of no-shows have any truth to them.

Don't get me wrong. I'm following restrictions and advice (except for the really stupid ones) but its the idea of having to do so potentially every Winter that really grates me and the casual way the likes of Varadkar remark as much.

You can expect people to pause their lives for a while but you cannot expect them to do it indefinitely, especially when so few are at real risk.

People can come back at me and say "but if it saves one life etc etc".

And i would counter this by again saying that lives can be damaged catastrophically in ways that don't include dying. People's mental health for example. And i don't mean the snowflakes who cry out mental health at the drop of a hat. I mean people with real issues out there and there are plenty of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

'We're finding people who are in dire straits. They are fearing the unknown as to what'll happen, especially those who have lost their jobs, these are the people who are very worried about Christmas."

But as long as the work from home crowd get their bonus' then whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

Look. I hate the restrictions as much as anyone else and I'm not worried about getting the virus myself. I would be concerned about inadvertently passing it on to someone more vulnerable. I'm not a selfish person therefore I reluctantly agree with whatever restrictions and vaccine program is in situ. I'm a glass hall full person aswell so hopefully we will be out of this mess completely by Spring and we begin to live with a less virulent and dangerous strain in Omricon. There's so much negativety here. All you read is about people moaning about this and that. Nothing you say will change the governments mindset or choices so my advice is to take each day as it comes and get on with it and stop the constant moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Why can you not receive a booster / vax if you have had covid in the last 6 months? What if you were infected but were asymptomatic, didn't realise and got your booster / vax. What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Some people cant get on with it now though. Id agree with a lot of what you say in that post but the longer it goes on the more collateral damage there is and again that can't be just brushed aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Was it a hangover from the days of vaccine scarcity? People with natural antibodies get pushed down the priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

If it’s one thing that I’d love to see scrapped is the utterly pointless covid certs. Nobody questioning the logic of them at all. A pure waste of everyone’s time and a symbol of authoritarianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I haven't heard anyone saying "If it saves one life", I have heard that in other debates but not here.

So few are at real risk? No, the people at real risk are the people this can put into ICU. You are looking at the deaths. That's only ever been half the equation. It's the people treated in hospital & saved in ICU this is about which runs into the thousands over the course of this pandemic.

Lives can be damaged catastrophically by covid itself, the loss of loved one's, partners, parents has a mental health toll too and long term consequences for the living.

You can't expect people to pause their lives indefinitely, also, you can't expect governments "to stand idly by" as health services come under strain (and not just here, other countries respond to the same threat).

But if we are going to be faced with his battle every winter, we need to be quicker at re-opening and get rid of the "abundance of caution" in spring-summer-autumn. Still have considerations like ventilation, vaccine passes \ test certs, annual jabs similar to flu, that kind of thing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Seeing an increase in puff pieces like this one with Martin just irritates me:

I'm sure he's a nice enough man, I don't despise him the way others do Leo, or people in UK do about Johnson. But I don't care what he's up to over Christmas, or what makes him feel mushy inside.

He goes on about his family life and his home, all I think is, I've been denied the opportunity to have either of those things in the last 2 years, in part due to this government's incredibly harsh extended lockdown. The only country in Europe to halt construction for months, in the middle of the worst housing crisis this country has ever faced, with no scientific justification whatsoever. House viewings banned, while hundreds of thousands of people stuck living with parents or paying €2k rent in their 30s/40s and beyond. Harsher restrictions on restaurants and bars than most other countries. 5km travel limit for much of last year. On and on it goes.

He was also a senior cabinet minister at the helm of Trade, Enterprise and Employment the last time the country collapsed, during the aftermath of which I and hundreds of thousands of others had to emigrate, again setting us back several years in our chance to progress our lives, once we realised there was nothing here for us in Ireland from 2009-2014.

I'm not blaming Micheal Martin personally for the entire development of my adult life, and I had some great times away from Ireland, but I'm just so sick of the massive chasm that exists between FF/FG and people under 40 in this country. Yet again we are being made to pay for mistakes we didn't cause, while he blathers on about Dr Zhivago. Sense the tone, Micheal. Maybe save the luvvie IT articles until summer time.

He just inspires absolutely nothing in me- I don't see any reason for hope with him, just more of the same shite, and hitting a brick wall when trying to progress in even the most basic areas of life.

Post edited by Shelga on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They never made sense, right from the day they were introduced they were a white elephant that didn't serve any rational purpose. I'd say they didn't solve the problem they were supposed to solve, but nobody was even clear about what that problem actually was.

The very second it became clear that vaccines didn't stop transmission the concept of a covid cert should immediately have been binned. The fact it wasn't only serves to give conspiracy theorists real ammunition for once.

Advertisement