Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,403 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What lives were saved?

Those lives who because of restrictions were stopped/deterred from exhibiting behaviors that would have been conducive to a greater number of people themselves included, becoming infected and passing on the highly infectious disease... to greater numbers then already became infected :) limiting spread saved lives... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,695 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What lives were saved?

Holy ****!

Are you serious?

What an inane question.

Yes Tony you've lost the public.

Complaining about young people enjoying themselves during the summer, go away to feck and back into your hole.

Country should be fully open now with moderate restrictions in place.

A ridiculous statement... That’s like saying if levels of crime was up, the minister for justice had lost the public.... not an iota of truth... you’ll get selfish aholes everywhere... with no interest in public health or the wellbeing of their fellow citizens...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Strumms wrote: »
    Those lives who because of restrictions were stopped/deterred from exhibiting behaviors that would have been conducive to a greater number of people themselves included, becoming infected and passing on the highly infectious disease... to greater numbers then already became infected :) limiting spread saved lives... :)

Meanwhile the HSE has been left in a crumpled heap with cancer diagnoses gone undetected and newborns not receiving the necessary check ups along with a myriad of other issues so I wouldn't throw a Tony Holohan parade just yet. The hses been left in a poorer state than it was previously and that's saying something

I’d imagine using Antigen tests in nursing homes and putting more focus on those homes would have saved more lives than fencing off outdoor areas.

Maybe then we’d be doing better in the death charts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What lives were saved?

Indeed - what lives were saved ...

5bvwhn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

What lives were saved?

Knowing that a significant number of those who died were nursing/care home residents it’s always going to be hard to prove if prolonged restrictions in the community, like we seen in Ireland, saved many lives.

We have the youngest population profile in Europe, as David McWilliams said, most of Irelands vulnerable (over 65) deaths occurred abroad

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/are-irelands-relatively-low-covid-deaths-due-to-emigration/
    The majority of older Irish people who died of Covid-19 probably died in England. When it comes to fewer deaths from Covid-19, our reasonably good outcomes may have less to do with lockdown and more to do with the echo of emigration.
    The huge proportion of older Irish people living in England is a function of the massive emigration to England in the 1950s and 1960s. In the 1950s, half a million people left for England and in the 1960s another 300,000 followed them. There is scarcely a family in Ireland without an old uncle or aunt in Coventry, Manchester or London.
    Ireland has by far the lowest proportion of its population over 65 in the EU. The figure becomes smaller when you go up to late 70s and over. Had they not emigrated to England, many of these older people would have been in hospital here. In a way, our ICUs were saved by the NHS, not Nphet.

How many lives were saved?

Then you'll want their names and addresses.

This is a wind up.

ypres5 wrote: »
    Meanwhile the HSE has been left in a crumpled heap with cancer diagnoses gone undetected and newborns not receiving the necessary check ups along with a myriad of other issues so I wouldn't throw a Tony Holohan parade just yet. The hses been left in a poorer state than it was previously and that's saying something

It’s been challenged, stretched but a crumpled heap is an exaggeration somewhat. Challenged and stretched ? It’s a pandemic, comes with the territory..

I was due a consultation all be it for nothing life threatening, the consultant still managed to lift the phone for 10 minutes... I was still at the Mater for a test as a result of that chat, it was done, in and out efficiently , hardly a sinner around ghost town, the Doctor was zero chat, at the end...” everything looks great, nothing to worry about, I’ll forward results to your GP...

First hand experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1400180571524026376

Pretty incredible that they're looking into this in...June. They've been talking about an outdoor summer for months

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This will be the only warning that will be posted in this regard. If you want to discuss the cervical cancer issues, go and start a thread on them in an appropriate forum. Bring them up here again and it's going to get you threadbanned. Any issues with this my PM inbox is open - do not respond to this on thread

It’s been challenged, stretched but a crumpled heap is an exaggeration somewhat. Challenged and stretched ? It’s a pandemic, comes with the territory..

I was due a consultation all be it for nothing life threatening, the consultant still managed to lift the phone for 10 minutes... I was still at the Mater for a test as a result of that chat, it was done, in and out efficiently , hardly a sinner around ghost town, the Doctor was zero chat, at the end...” everything looks great, nothing to worry about, I’ll forward results to your GP...

First hand experience.

Glad that you got on alright and that it was nothing serious but if you think it's going to be wrapped up in a neat little bow for thousands of othe people who have missed critical tests and examinations then I'm sorry but I'll stick with my crumpled heap assessment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

A ridiculous statement... That’s like saying if levels of crime was up, the minister for justice had lost the public.... not an iota of truth... you’ll get selfish aholes everywhere... with no interest in public health or the wellbeing of their fellow citizens...

The most vulnerable are vaccinated now and less than 100 in hospital.

So yea, the restrictions are currently over the top.

Don't want to get into argument but Covid should be zero news now.

Time to move on.

Knowing that a significant number of those who died were nursing/care home residents it’s always going to be hard to prove if prolonged restrictions in the community, like we seen in Ireland, saved many lives.

We have the youngest population profile in Europe, as David McWilliams said, most of Irelands vulnerable (over 65) deaths occurred abroad

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/are-irelands-relatively-low-covid-deaths-due-to-emigration/

What we know is that Covid has significantly worse outcomes for all older age groups. With the risk of dying increasing by age.

It remains that approx 14% of the population here are over 65 - equal to some 637,567 individuals. Pre vaccination thats a very large cohort of people who were at risk from serious illness and death and was the cohort in which the largest number of deaths were recorded

Regardless of differences in young population - our death rate is one of the lowest for all age groups compared to our closest neighbours.

Interesting they're are those who would want to ignore that.

Glad that you got on alright and that it was nothing serious but if you think it's going to be wrapped up in a neat little bow for thousands of othe people who have missed critical tests and examinations then I'm sorry but I'll stick with my crumpled heap assessment

While covid has an impact, a negative one, a crumpled heap wouldn’t be accurate. But that’s covid, it’s a highly contagious, deadly, infectious disease.

While covid has an impact, a negative one, a crumpled heap wouldn’t be accurate. But that’s covid, it’s a highly contagious, deadly, infectious disease.

I think deadly is a bit of an exaggeration considering covid was sold to us as the plague of Justinian version 2.

gozunda wrote: »
    Indeed - what lives were saved ...

5bvwhn.jpg

So if we compare ourselves with the UK it would of been 8000 deaths instead of 5,000.

Population of UK is also 66.5 million with a much higher elderly population which you have to take into fact as well.

Sorry but this doesn't justify the lockdown in my eyes.

The most vulnerable are vaccinated now and less than 100 in hospital.

So yea, the restrictions are currently over the top.

Don't want to get into argument but Covid should be zero news now.

Time to move on.

Zero news ? I hate to break it to you, we are a few months away from that. But what we can agree on is we’ll certainly look forward to that day.

Zero news ? I hate to break it to you, we are a few months away from that. But what we can agree on is we’ll certainly look forward to that day.

Since the over 70's were vaccinated yes. Any parks all around Ireland people are drinking away and house parties are rampant all over the country. Young people don't care anymore.

I think deadly is a bit of an exaggeration considering covid was sold to us as the plague of Justinian version 2.

deadly
    /ˈdɛdli/
    adjective

causing or able to cause death

A bit of an exaggeration you say ?

• Advertisement

Since the over 70's were vaccinated yes. Any parks all around Ireland people are drinking away and house parties are rampant all over the country. Young people don't care anymore.

Plenty do still care, are caring, you have a habitual want to generalize it would seem.

How do you know what’s going on and what might be rampant ‘all over the country’... ? :)

Plenty do still care, are caring, you have a habitual want to generalize it would seem.

How do you know what’s going on and what might be rampant ‘all over the country’... ? :)

Look at any park on social media in any county.

Packed to the rafters.

Packed to the rafters.

E2VFVA6XoAQ5AZq?format=jpg&name=large

Marley Park, less than one week ago. ;). Scroll down you’ll find nothing of packed or overcrowded.

The park a two minute walk from my front door that I visit several times a week, similar scenes....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Packed to the rafters.

I have been to plenty of parks and they are busy but people well spread out and small groups enjoying themselves . Certainly not piled on top of each nor packed to the rafters

Packed to the rafters.

Not at all. It showed a few parks on the 9 o'clock news. Good numbers but in small groups, well spaced, and properly distanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭crossman47

And thats because of the virus - nothing else. Nobody took a decision not to do those things but they couldn't be done while hospitals were dealing with Covid.

So if we compare ourselves with the UK it would of been 8000 deaths instead of 5,000.

Population of UK is also 66.5 million with a much higher elderly population which you have to take into fact as well.

Sorry but this doesn't justify the lockdown in my eyes.

How do you make that one up?

If you're presuming pro rata deaths based on proportion of old people - then you're deliberately ignoring the differences in how the pandemic was managed here and in your example - the UK.

So you reckon having one of the lowest death rates compared to our nearest European neighbours does not justify our restrictions here?

You're on a very small footprint there my friend

gozunda wrote: »
    How do you make that one up?

If you're presuming pro rata deaths based on proportion of old people - then you're deliberately ignoring the differences in how the pandemic was managed here and in your example - the UK.

So you reckon having one of the lowest death rates compared to our nearest European neighbours does not justify our restrictions here?

You're on a very small footprint there my friend

Yes what I'm saying is our deaths per 1,000,000 is not that far from the UK and didn't have as harsh as restrictions as we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Goodnight and good news to come with it! 80 in hospitals as of tonight!

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1400205595932831752?s=21

• Advertisement

Yes what I'm saying is our deaths per 1,000,000 is not that far from the UK and didn't have as harsh as restrictions as we did.

What?

Not far? The UK figure is nearly double our own death rate ffs

Oddly enough the UKs has had harsh restrictions. However most were not brought in until they had experienced significant rises in case and deaths

Advertisement