Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Cork2021 wrote: »
    But should be protected especially once we’re near herd immunity through mass vaccination! I think we’ll be okay just need to be cautious but start to get on with things as well.

Still less protected than those who received an mRNA. One of the high risk groups is now less protected than much younger people . A bit annoying if we are honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

wadacrack wrote: »
    That sort is messaging just dosent help. We need calm , reasonable messaging from medical professional's . Advice should be that it is wise to act cautious until you have been vaccinated, outdoor activities etc. Especially in the east of the country where the majority of the delta variant have been detected. Think of the long term rather than the short term and make rationale decisions. Personally I will stick to outdoors. Sports, meet people(probably limited to a few) . Attend Sports events .

It’s a constant stream of negativity from ISAG and Independent Sage! Staines jumped on a bandwagon to get one up on the CMO( he probably shouldn’t have tweeted the way he tweeted)
    It all seems to be a competition between each of of the ISAG.
    It does seem to me that they are anti vax (I know Staines got his) it’s their rhetoric that makes it sound that way. I’m sure there’s people who hang off every word they say and run with it... ie Irish media!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Still less protected than those who received an mRNA. One of the high risk groups is now less protected than much younger people . A bit annoying if we are honest

Indeed. It makes me feel a bit anxious that *all" of our 60-69 year olds have a vaccine which seems to be significantly less effective against the Indian variant. They should be given a second dose of an MRNA vaccine. If that means the rest of us have to wait a little longer, so be it.

Indeed. It makes me feel a bit anxious that *all" of our 60-69 year olds have a vaccine which seems to be significantly less effective against the Indian variant. They should be given a second dose of an MRNA vaccine. If that means the rest of us have to wait a little longer, so be it.

According to RTE news NIAC ruled out the second dose bring an mRNA . They are recommending an 8 week gap but that still only gets us to 66% efficy

In fairness Andrew has turned a corner, was somewhat pessimistic up until recently. He has done a good thread here!

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1400528590912032769?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That sort is messaging just dosent help. We need calm , reasonable messaging from medical professional's . Advice should be that it is wise to act cautious until you have been vaccinated, outdoor activities etc. Especially in the east of the country where the majority of the delta variant have been detected. Think of the long term rather than the short term and make rationale decisions. Personally I will stick to outdoors. Sports, meet people(probably limited to a few) . Attend Sports events .
    That's what Tony Holohan's point was when he sent his tweet about being shocked at the throngs on South William Street last weekend. People can't seem to rationally cope with the idea that going outside, meeting friends etc doesn't mean you have to do it with thousands of others in a packed street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Some more detail on the Delta variant in the UK. It is pretty concerning tbh.

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1400523953853108226

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Variants everywhere!!! There were variants all last summer too and it didn't do a jot of harm..either here or the UK.

They are either being used to drive vaccination numbers or this is never meant to end.

They aren't bothered by varaints in the US, where they aren't bothered by restrictions either at this stage...

We on the other hand, have one of the highest rate of unemployment in Europe...I sincerely hope that variants are being used to whip us into vaccines, because who knows how all this will be paid for!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,390 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Variants will always be a concern. It's not just people, a variant could attack domestic pets eventually and cattle, sheep etc.
    It's good to warn people to stay safe and be careful.
    If you find stuff annoying then stop reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

eagle eye wrote: »
    Variants will always be a concern. It's not just people, a variant could attack domestic pets eventually and cattle, sheep etc.

I honestly couldn’t give a sh#t what other people read and get nervous about when it comes to bogeyman variants

I do care though, when those variants are used as justification to prolong emergency measures that suppress democratic freedoms for at least a few months ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Sure if the variants attack the cattle they will be ok because they will have Ivermectin taken!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I think this thread needs to be moved to the neurotic section :pac:

I honestly couldn’t give a sh#t what other people read and get nervous about when it comes to bogeyman variants

I do care though, when those variants are used as justification to prolong emergency measures that suppress democratic freedoms for at least a few months ahead

You might give a **** if you were 69 and had only one dose of Astra Zeneca . But yeh some of people only think of themselves and what affects them

Sure if the variants attack the cattle they will be ok because they will have Ivermectin taken!!!!

Or...they won't let us out of lock down till all the cows have been jabbed!!!

You wouldn't know these days!!!

All joking aside, the fear being pumped into people at the start of the summer, when we know from last year, there is no danger to our health system is crazy....there will be people in this country who will never be right again after all of this!!!

All joking aside, the fear being pumped into people at the start of the summer, when we know from last year, there is no danger to our health system is crazy....there will be people in this country who will never be right again after all of this!!!

And we all know who the gob****es living around us are as well.

I'm concerned others aren't concerned enough that legislation passed this morning with barely any acknowledgement from the media. Have fun finding reference on the RTE website, which in typical one-sided fashion have buried it. The Journal covered the matter however, and there was one telling comment underneath:

"The state and level of a nation’s democracy can be determined by how quickly authoritarian emergency powers are revoked after time of crisis."

The worst of the crisis has long passed. Meanwhile, it's all fear and apprehension about what might happen instead of what is actually occurring which is an erosion of right to protest and other civil liberties.

The worst of the crisis has long passed. Meanwhile, it's all fear and apprehension about what might happen instead of what is actually occurring which is an erosion of right to protest and other civil liberties.

This is like something I'd expect to hear from those national party buffoons.

And we all know who the gob****es living around us are as well.

I'd take any party who protects a citizens right to protest...only a g###ite wouldn't, unless you like living in a State with no civil liberties.

I'd take any party who protects a citizens right to protest...only a g###ite wouldn't, unless you like living in a State with no civil liberties.
    I like living in a country where people have cop on.
    Unfortunately we have gob****es who go out in droves partying during a pandemic and racist buffoons who follow the national party.
    Thankfully though most people have common sense.
    I've criticised all the big political parties in this country but as bad as they are they are all better than the national party.

I like living in a country where people have cop on.
    Unfortunately we have gob****es who go out in droves partying during a pandemic and racist buffoons who follow the national party.
    Thankfully though most people have common sense.
    I've criticised all the big political parties in this country but as bad as they are they are all better than the national party.

You seem to know a lot more about the National Party than I do, so I'll take your word for it....but what has the National Party got to do with the rights of a citizen to protest?

Oh hang on....you aren't one of those g***ites who spend all day taking every opportunity to discuss the likes of the National Party or Gemma are you?

• Advertisement

You seem to know a lot more about the National Party than I do, so I'll take your word for it....but what has the National Party got to do with the rights of a citizen to protest?
    It's stuff like that you expect to hear from those buffoons. Right to protest in a pandemic? Can you not just protest on social media?
    Oh hang on....you aren't one of those g***ites who spend all day taking every opportunity to discuss the likes of the National Party or Gemma are you?
    I rarely discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Some more detail on the Delta variant in the UK. It is pretty concerning tbh.

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1400523953853108226

Important to note that the author of that tweet is a zero covid advocate in the Tomas Ryan/Anthony Staines mould.

Is it me or has Ms McLysaght a tad racist in this tweet?

https://twitter.com/aoifemcl/status/1400502313408663559?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

https://twitter.com/aoifemcl/status/1400502313408663559?s=21

How is that remotely racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

No. It's you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

How is that remotely racist?

I've a feeling the poster sees some link between a genie in a bottle and India, even though it's Islamic folklore and has roots nowhere near India.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭User1998

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You might give a **** if you were 69 and had only one dose of Astra Zeneca . But yeh some of people only think of themselves and what affects them

If someone is still afraid of catching covid despite being vaccinated they should probably stay indoors and let the rest of us get on with our lives, we’ve waited long enough.

Do you suggest we wait until the entire population is fully vaccinated before we get back to normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

That's what Tony Holohan's point was when he sent his tweet about being shocked at the throngs on South William Street last weekend. People can't seem to rationally cope with the idea that going outside, meeting friends etc doesn't mean you have to do it with thousands of others in a packed street.

While I thought it could have been worded better, the reaction is like that of a toddler. Thousands on the street, yes outdoors, so lower risk. "Oh but you told us to go outside, lol". You were also asked to avoid crowds. If you even consider playing devils advocate you're branded part of the Tony Holohan fan club and the old classic "stay at home if you're scared" is brought out.

I'm very unlikely to be effected by covid and due to be vaccinated in the next age cohort. My wife will get her second dose next week, both sets of parents fully vaccinated. Yet, showing some concern around variants and keeping on eye on the UK is still prudent as it has an effect on national response, puts parts of re-opening at risk.

This idea that "oh covid cannot effect the young and healthy" is very narrow-minded, ignorant and selfish. Of course 99.9%+ will be physically fine, but they're not thinking of the bigger picture at all, the one they mention in their own arguments - Lockdown has had a massive detrimental effect on the young and healthy, and anything that could potentially delay reopening or worse, wind it back, will of course effect us all. It might not mean a trip to ICU but it's a much larger problem than just personal health, or even the health of the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

While I thought it could have been worded better, the reaction is like that of a toddler. Thousands on the street, yes outdoors, so lower risk. "Oh but you told us to go outside, lol". You were also asked to avoid crowds. If you even consider playing devils advocate you're branded part of the Tony Holohan fan club and the old classic "stay at home if you're scared" is brought out.

I'm very unlikely to be effected by covid and due to be vaccinated in the next age cohort. My wife will get her second dose next week, both sets of parents fully vaccinated. Yet, showing some concern around variants and keeping on eye on the UK is still prudent as it has an effect on national response, puts parts of re-opening at risk.

This idea that "oh covid cannot effect the young and healthy" is very narrow-minded, ignorant and selfish. Of course 99.9%+ will be physically fine, but they're not thinking of the bigger picture at all, the one they mention in their own arguments - Lockdown has had a massive detrimental effect on the young and healthy, and anything that could potentially delay reopening or worse, wind it back, will of course effect us all. It might not mean a trip to ICU but it's a much larger problem than just personal health, or even the health of the vulnerable.

Please stop, coronavirus is over. People need worry about other things. Of course in good weather young people will enjoy themselves in groups and there deadrite. Can people let coronavirus go, very little in hospital. Very little in ICU it really is time to focus on other thing, healthy wise and mentally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

dockysher wrote: »
    Please stop, coronavirus is over. People need worry about other things. Of course in good weather young people will enjoy themselves in groups and there deadrite. Can people let coronavirus go, very little in hospital. Very little in ICU it really is time to focus on other thing, healthy wise and mentally

Very true but there is a little anxiety around as it's been shown how easy it is to lockdown and put 1000s upon 1000s out of work, cancel stuff etc etc

The media are a disgrace and will always be pushing the fear factor til the very end goal which nobody knows that goal actually is

Advertisement