Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

It was mentioned on news headlines that antigen tests are not as sensitive to picking up Omicron variant. However, I have heard a few stories of every one but the boosted becoming infected. Ye are all close contacts so probably do need to isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

It’s not as simple or black and white as that though, is it ?

Of course mistakes were made, it’s a new virus the world has been dealing with. Most western countries took a broadly similar approach, with variations in the dates and timings and details, but by and large the same approach. People give out about “longest and strictest”, so what ? Would it make any difference if we were second longest or fourth longest ? Someone is always going to be top or bottom of a list. Would someone trade the UKs death rate for ours if it meant hospitality was more open last year ? No doubt plenty would, which is fine, but plenty wouldn’t and that’s clearly the choice government took here. I don’t know enough to say who was right. The UK were I think, a number of weeks ahead of us in the early stages of vaccination and imo this, coupled with our lack of capacity in the HSE obviously drove some of the choices that were made last summer. I’ll be accused of defending NPHET for saying that, but I’m not, I’d have loved if things were open sooner and think they made plenty of mistakes, but got more right than wrong. Do I think things should have been open sooner ? Probably. Do I know they should have been ? Absolutely not. Its completely subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

It's good to get infected because it gives you immunity.

Why would I want immunity.

Because then you can get on with your life and not have any restrictions, vaccines didn't give us this, immunity will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

These are all matters of opinion. I just answered the point which implied/suggested Ireland had its current problems because of previous restrictions. It's not a continuum clearly and countries which have opened up more quickly and comprehensively are in a worse state than us regarding infections.

I enjoy societal freedoms as much as the next person but that's a separate issue to what I replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Because you’ve been talking down on people with COVID for the past 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

So the fact that omicron is different than delta excuses the mess Nphet made of things?

also the fact the we have the lowest natural immunity in the eu is a real factor. But I’m sure you’ll tell me that’s nothing to do with Nphet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

How's the natural immunity calculated?

We certainly don't have the lowest total cases per capital within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The "immunity" from both is very similar, both will wane, getting infected to avoid infection is dumb, you're getting infected to try and avoid restrictions, if Omicron is what they say it is, restrictions won't be needed (and if Delta doesn't re-surge or another variant emerge but cross variant immunity doesn't seem to be there for Omicron anyway).

To look at it another way, 98% of adults in the UK had antibodies either by vaccination or infection, their case rates are now through the roof and England is avoiding restrictions to keep Boris in his job (the rest of the UK aren't going this route).

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

What happens when elderly people, who got their third shot first, see their immunity starts to wane to Omicron, which according to the UK study, starts to occur 10 weeks after your third dose? Fourth doses seem like they are some time away so should we expect a second Omicron wave, in late February, once waning starts to kick in?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I accept your reasoning, but there are a number of factors here;

- The vaccine is safe for children. It's fully tested and reviewed, and millions of doses already done.

- We routinely vaccinate children for diseases which are not only low risk to them, but also quite rare in the wild. Unlike Covid.

- The vaccine does confer a transmission protection. It wanes after a while, but not entirely.

- The protection against severe infection remains high. Yes, low risk for children, but a risk nonetheless which is mitigated by vaccination.

- If we don't, the debate will continue to rage about masks and ventilation and teachers' unions crying about outbreaks. Vaccinate them all, debate goes away, kids can get back to warm classrooms, no pods, choir and indoor P.E. and school plays and all the other things we want for them.

Covid vaccination will become part of the standard childhood immunisation schedule, so we may as well start now.

• Advertisement

There could be a jump in cases, but we'll be coming out of the Winter months and if Omicron is less severe, there shouldn't be much of a jump.

The "most vulnerable" are still on their 3rd shot of the vaccine schedule rather than a booster, so that could come into play as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Once more onto the breach

Positivity not going down despite 37k swabs.

It's rampant out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

seroprevalence is the accepted method of testing, it has been used extensively throughout the EU and to an even greater extent in the UK to inform government decision-making around restrictions. However NPHET didn't deem it relevant, the HSE and Department of Health did some seroprevalence regardless, but I did not read anywhere where Professor Nolan used it in their modeling or Tony factored it in. It seems it's another form of science snake oil that NPHET has rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭prunudo

Why the need to say they're vaccinated. It has no bearing on whether you get infected or not. Surely we're well beyond the point of thinking vaccinated people have some sort of special shield to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

😂 bloody hell

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

With respect, some of those are not reasons to implement a wide scale vaccination of primary school children.

• Sure its safe for children, but that is not a reason to give it to them. It just means it is safe to give if we had a reason to do so.
    • Sure we vaccinate children for other reason, but that is not a reason to give this one to them, it just means it wouldn't be abnormal if we had a reason to do so.
    • The transmission protection is the key issue, and I think we both realise that Omicron has rendered it a moot point. The vaccine does not reduce transmission in any meaningful fashion, which makes vaccinating primary school children rather redundant. Vaccinate every child and we still will not be able to say schools are safe and aren't a vector for spread.
    • The risk is already extremely low for children. Turning a very low number into an even lower number is not a strong justification here.
    • If the vaccine doesn't stop transmission then this won't end any debate whatsoever because there will still be outbreaks.

Children get vaccinated all the time but if you suggest a wide scale vaccination programme of primary school children then really there should be a good reason for doing it, otherwise it is just throwing time and resources at a white elephant.

The only justification today seems to be that it offers a small reduction in transmission for a limited time, and turns a negligible risk for that cohort into a slightly less risk. I think there are much better things this country could be doing than throwing resources at this.

Because the science and data says it does? It's fairly common knowledge. It's not perfect but the reduction starts at a high level and reduces (but still seems to have some effect) in time from vaccination and a lot of have had boosters very recently.

If people came on and said that vaccines prevented transmission 100% they'd be lambasted, saying they don't reduce transmission at all and aren't relevant is an equally stupid thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Mine have all recovered from covid.

I wouldn't get them the chicken pox jab after they had chicken pox.

Their immunity is against the most current strain and not against a strain that's no longer around.

And if they get any other new strain then they get that updated booster.

Sorry but seeing your children jumping up and down, dancing, singing and playing while infected with covid dosnt exactly make you wish or want them to be vaccinated.

And you can say 5000 kids are in icu now or whatever you want but mine are fine and mine don't need to be vaxxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Do you think there is some kind of shame in getting Covid? Do you still see a stigma with it? Serious question.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

It has been clear for a long time, vaccinated people are both catching and spreading the virus. There is still a level of smugness amongst some that its unvaccinated people causing all our woes.

And for the record, I'm double vaccinated. But while it may stop me getting seriously sick, I'm under no illusion that I could still test positive at any stage.

• Advertisement

See, there is so much wrongness in that post it's hard to know where to start. If you are going down that route, at least start naming sources and backing it up, this is a pretty good summary:

The Benefits of Vaccinating Kids against COVID Far Outweigh the Risks of Myocarditis - Scientific American

Risk/reward for males is 250:1, for females it's 1400:1.

And again, vaccines are the top of any healthcare list from the perspective of benefit per € spent, even above hospital beds.

Sure, no one has said differently as I clearly pointed out in my post, claiming they do nothing is an equally dumb thing to say and you seem to be doubling down on it for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Polar101

I wonder what the real infection numbers are, clearly the testing system is completely overrun now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What has myocarditis got to do with anything I said? I never once said that vaccines were dangerous to children.

How about you actually read for comprehension instead of jumping on your hobby horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,682 ✭✭✭brickster69

Might of been a good idea to build up capacity early on when you think about it, just in case.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Oh my.

I'd love to see the family line of re-regs that eventually lead to this outburst.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Advertisement
Advertisement