Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How? Covid doesn’t require more care on top of a sprained ankle or broken arm. All you have to do is isolate, and you can do that at home. Unless they are desperately ill (in which case they went because of covid) then yes, it would resource heavy.

The current strain just doesn’t require that unless unvaxxed or immune compromised.

Get it?

Jesus, send them home, where did I say let it rip? Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭greyday

Yep, only because the difference between outcomes when you are overwhelmed is small, the whole system breaks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Because they need to be isolated while being treated in hospital. Staff need to take extra precautions so others in hospital and the staff themselves don't get infected. I'll give you an example I'm aware of, member of my family recently gave birth while covid positive, in order to protect her child a member of staff looked after the baby in the days following the birth. This would not have happened if she were not covid positive. Covid = more strain. She arrived to the hospital because she was in labour not because of covid, her having covid, however, did impact on the way she (and her baby) were cared for.

• Advertisement

All hospitals are taking extra precaution, that’s a given because of the pandemic.

Yoir example is an outlier, people going to A&E for something other than covid but then being found to have it and getting added as a case, it’s misleading and if they are kept in for longer, it’s needless. It’s very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Relax brah

People need to relax, it’ll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Maybe not a sprained ankle, but I'm sure more serious illnesses that need more treatment than a bandage can cause headaches.

I have no clue how hospitals have be re-worked to accommodate covid patients, but I'd imagine they have most of the equipment they need within their little quarantine zone. All I can think off hand is say an X-Ray machine. So a covid positive patient who perhaps had a head injury and admitted due to the head injury now needs to be transported from the Covid ward to the MRI machine. I'm sure they take extra precautions when they are dealing with a Covid patient outside of the covid wards. So potentially closing all doors before being wheeled through the corridors. Then the MRI machine would really need to be sanitized, maybe leave the windows open and room unused for an hour (putting strain on others who need to use it etc...)

They have mobile Xray machines, but no mobile MRI machines etc.... I'm sure there's other equipment and procedures preformed which are a lot more convoluted with a covid positive patient and having to go overboard with infection control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

2nd time they have published those figures that way recently. I presume we are still dealing with the bank holiday effect and won't get a clear picture of the hospital situation for another week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

When will that be though? No point in saying it will be grand in 2,5, 10 years time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Hardly an outlier when the HSE have published advice for such cases.

If they have a head injury, they shouldn’t be in the covid ward, they should be in the correct ward due to their injury. Put a mask on them, they aren’t radioactive. All machines are sanitised after use, hospitals are all cleaned regardless of covid, so are all the machines. How do you think hospitals have been run until this point? A wipe with a Jay cloth?

Ah here you have to be joking, right?

Put a covid positive person in a ward and a simple mask will be fine? They gonna eat in a bubble?

Yes hospitals are cleaned, but there's a massive difference bringing a covid positive person into a room like an MRI and then next minute you bring in a covid negative patient, covid is airborne. I'm sure there's more evasive procedures which would be more risky (endoscope/dental work, obviously it's a hospital not a dentist, but my point still stands)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes. It's like somebody high up in HSE management said.....

" Lads ,this Omicronis a sxxt show coming down the tracks !

So we need our holidays ( ten days at least ) !

We have worked so hard and carried so many clipboards to so many meetings.

We will say the vaccine / booster is the most important thing , and push GPs and pharmacists into that for the holiday season. Sure the out of hours docs will love the Covid calls money.

...But the out of hours docs are doing vaccinations , because , they are mostly GPs?

....Don't worry people can avail of self referral for their PCR tests .

...But didn't we give a lot of the available slots to the GPs so that they could control/ access the limited number available over the Christmas period ? Should we have opened up more testing capability over Christmas?

....Well they won't be that busy surely they will have time to be answering covid calls as well.

It's not like their reception staff/ people answering helplines will be anywhere else over Christmas?

...Think its skeleton staff and many are off sick ?

.... Yes , well ...We'll talk about this again, when we get back in the New Year .

The GPs and the hospitals will be able to hold the fort/take the flak , till then.

...But but what if the cases rise exponentially over Christmas ? As expected...?

....You really need to stop worrying . This is such a stressful job , you need to be able to enjoy some downtime and forget about the little things once you leave for the weekend or holidays .Be grand !"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

This is very relevant to the debate. Remember that restrictions to business and people has a real cost. Decisions need to be made in the basis of real world conditions.

Ever hear of air filters? Opening a window? Ventilation? All know to lessen the chance of a covid infection, and that’s IF the person is still contagious.

Your point has holes in it, covid doesn’t radiate around a person, them wearing a mask as well as people in the room wearing masks drastically reduces the chances of anyone getting covid, as well as sanitized hands and surfaces.

Have you read anything about covid at all? It’s not some weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I’m sure at least 97% of this is actually what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The newly updated CDC guidelines don't require testing at the end of isolation because PCR tests can stay positive for up to 12 weeks, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky

Is getting PCR tests meaningless to a degree so? It's gonna tell you there is a problem for ages. When there isn't. Could antigen be more realistic measurement, despite their 'flaws'?

I'm sorry, when your advice is to stick a covid positive patient into ward with negative patients you just loose all credibility.

Masks or no masks, it's idiotic.

And yes it takes time to ventilate rooms, so once the covid positive patient is in said room for scan or procedure etc..., it would not be able to be used for a certain amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

Maybe it’s better to think of it like there’s 568 people taking up a covid resource in hospital, regardless of why or how they ended up in hospital. It’s clearly going to be a different number than those in hospital due to the effects of covid, but it doesn’t really matter in terms of our capacity. Presumably we only have a finite number of suitable spots for patients with covid, no matter what they are in hospital for. There’s just no way someone with a broken arm and also covid is going to be put in a normal ward.

• Advertisement

Really ? You are showing yourself up!

Of course, Covid care is more resource heavy, there is a separate pathway once admitted to hospital with or of Covid. Even that doesn't stop outbreaks happening as well.

Not going to get into that , seeing as this has been described in detail many times over the last 2 years .

Not much point telling a patient with a heart attack or major trauma after a car accident to go home because they test positive !

I think you must be joking, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Sure look, it’ll be done in a few months - be grand lad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Rest and recovery are pretty much the same thing.

Not everyone who replies to you is here to argue with you

As I already said, I didn't have a question for you specifically, I was merely thinking out loud

My point wasn't being made with myself in mind either. It was a general observation on what is happening at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Went out tonight for a Christmas pint.

Our local closed so went to the next which was jammers.

Wife is a swabber so we went to the most unpopular pub in the town thinking they're would be free space.

Got a handy table in the lounge but no covid certs nor table service.

Stayed for 3 pints each, left at 8:30pm, bar still serving.

The bar was packed, standing room only, no masks, no adherence to 2m, it was 2019 in there.

They were still pulling as we went out the door, it was 2019 in there.

When there's zero public buy in for restrictions when do they become redundant.

I haven't been out since the start of December so have the pub going public really been acting like this in the meantime ?

Should we close hospitality or just let it rip ?

Where have I said to put positive in with negative? Point it out there.

how do you know how long it takes to sterilise a room? Or ventilate for that matter? Do you think these rooms have a revolving door as well? All equipment is wiped down and cleaned, all persons wear a mask and wash hands, that’s common knowledge at this stage!

Those spots would be taken up regardless, that’s my point! They are not taken up due to covid, if they have covid and are not required to stay, send them home as they would normally be. If they have to stay, mask, wash hands, simple as that. If omicron is as contagious and as mild as it sounds, then they should be masked up and in a ventilated room, it’s why ventilation is so important.

If they have a head injury, they shouldn’t be in the covid ward, they should be in the correct ward due to their injury. Put a mask on them, they aren’t radioactive

If that's not what you meant, are you suggesting we have covid positive and covid negative for all wards? I don't even think the best hospital system would be able to accommodate that.

I'm sure after a covid positive person uses equipment that covid negative patients would use they take extra caution and care. There's probably a separate infection control guideline for it (but knowing the HSE, maybe not)

Christ almighty, you jump to extremes like a show jumper.

if someone has a major issue such as those you have referenced, then those are dealt with as the emergency they are. So no, I’m not saying tell a heart attack patient to go home…how you could think I’m saying that is beyond me.

I am saying the majority people going to A&E for a minor, easily treatable issue, should be in and out as quick as. Having them around for longer would be a waste of resources, as it always has been. If they go to hospital for one injury, and are found with covid, that’s added to the daily case numbers, that’s a massive differnece!

• Advertisement

So as this has been discussed over the last couple of pages pretty much and I am thinking you are stirring a little here , ct ?

He focuses on minusing one number from another and drawing a colourful graph thereof . Mindblowing stuff .

He doesn't mention that he has no clue or iota what those figures mean until questioned further down the replies ( past the fanclub ones)

Those figures are , as discussed already a mixture of people tested in hospital fir various reasons .

Maybe go back a few pages and read the discussion with Wolf .

Advertisement