Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

But if they have to stay in, for whatever reason, they can’t be placed in a ward with non covid patients. What about when they have to eat or drink ? They won’t be masked up then. I just can’t see how you’d mix covid positive patients with a regular ward.

I tend to look at it like the HSE can cope with X number of patients who require covid specific protocols, whether they’re actually ill with the virus or not. At the moment we’re using up 568 of that X amount, whatever it is, I don’t know 2,000 ? 3,000 ? I know we were around 2,000 in January but elective procedures weren’t happening so I’ve no idea what the capacity is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I didn't think I gave an argumentative response, just nervous that my post was being taken as "advice " and thus was not appropriate . It's just my personal take on it and am only thinking aloud also .

I can't see anyway out of this without just getting a PCR prior to boostering . Don't think its unsafe to ahead with a booster but its definitely not ideal .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Where I live in North Dublin of the four places we used go to, one did not check for certs so after one outing we never went back.

The other three all check for certs, take numbers, table service only and everyone booted out by eight.

Are you outside Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

I don't think anyone is suggesting that covid positive patients should or even are kept in hospital longer than necessary? All patients are discharged as quick as they've always been I think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

But what resources would someone with covid (but not covid complications) be taking up that wouldn’t be already? Someone who is in for covid is on oxygen, a ventilator or antiviral drugs. All patients now will follow a similar protocol with masks and sanitiser irrespective of covid to stop the spread of it.

I am not suggesting mixing patients, I am saying there are protocols the hospital will be following in “non covid” wards no matter what.

My point around admissions for and with are vastly different. Especially if they are admitted and found to be with omicron, now that we know how mild it is, and how unlikely it is that someone will be admitted because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What I am saying now is that it is paramount that they are at least counted for what they were admitted for, not admitted with. People going to hospital with injuries has nothing to do with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Russmans post above explains clearly why it does matter what they are admitted with and why those are the numbers counted. I've quoted the relevant piece.

"I tend to look at it like the HSE can cope with X number of patients who require covid specific protocols, whether they’re actually ill with the virus or not. At the moment we’re using up 568 of that X amount, whatever it is, I don’t know 2,000 ? 3,000 ? I know we were around 2,000 in January but elective procedures weren’t happening so I’ve no idea what the capacity is now."

^this is my understanding anyway.

Goldengirl,who I believe works in a hospital, also explained this clearly.

"Of course, Covid care is more resource heavy, there is a separate pathway once admitted to hospital with or of Covid. Even that doesn't stop outbreaks happening as well."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

@Frank Bullitt

Everything wolf has said is correct. The treatment rooms are cleaned completely and aired and ventilated before they can be used by non Covid patients if that is necessary. Some hospitals have separate entire facilities , but yeah not MRI .

This is a highly infectious,( as we have seen , ) airborne virus , and no risks can be taken with patients or staff .

No mixing of covid or nonCovid in wards or facilities .

No mixing of Covid or nonCovid treating staff nurses ,healthcare workers , physios or porters . Cleaners too

All minor injuries or non urgent care is kept a minimum amount of time anyway, not admitted if possible , so would not be affecting those numbers you're concerned about unless there after a certain time

• Advertisement

I’d assume if someone is in hospital and is covid positive they’re isolated and the staff treating them follow different procedures. Maybe someone can confirm, I’m not sure.

The point, I think, is that someone in hospital who is positive for covid is dealt with differently, even if it’s for something totally non covid like a broken arm. There’s only so many of these “deal with differently” places available. My simplistic understanding is that in 2018 you could have patients on trolleys in hallways but in the era of covid that’s not really possible.

realistically though, how many of the 568 are likely to be these so called incidental cases ? Genuinely curious, not doubting there are some, but it’d be interesting to know if it’s 20 or 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭iwasliedto

As of the 21 dec 20% of English covid hospital admissions are due to viral complications, meaning 80% of those admitted for reasons other than covid but did test positive for covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

No, it's the very same reason if you test positive for covid you will not be offered another PCR test within 3 months, as it can pick up traces of the previous infection. The conspiracy theory element comes from people assuming all positive results from a high CT rate will be a false positive.When in fact it's either someone becoming infectious or someone becoming less infectious. There are guidelines there where the same sample is tested on another machine/assay or the person is swabbed again and if the CT count is higher they are over the infection, if it's lower they they are becoming more infectious etc....

In the link you posted, if someone on day 1 tested positive with a CT of 30 and a later test is was a CT of 40, they are over or getting over their infection.

If they tested positive with a CT of 40 and a later test it was a CT of 30, they are becoming more infectious etc...

Which is why a recovery cert is important when looking to travel to countries who require a PCR test.

I guess it also depends on what someone wants to extrapolate from the numbers. Like, say if you want to show how scary or not, covid is, you could say 568 people in hospital with it, whereas if you want to use the number to highlight the usage of resources, the 568 in hospital with it, might mean something totally different.

Anyway its late, I’m off. Nice to have a civil back and forth on a covid thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Tried booking a test on the HSE website, seemingly all slots taken by 12.05am 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I think people just want to know how many are being treated for Covid in hospital on any given day. I'm not downplaying the serious issues of having people being treated for other issues but being covid positive with no symptoms. The latter may put more burden on the health system with the infection controls. ICU was the key metric, but it could be just coping with treating covid positive patients for non covid issues, the extra resources and burden that falls upon it.

I forgot to add, I just want to know the true admissions due to covid to get an idea of the level of infection in the community and the severity of Omicron. As case numbers lately are extremely unreliable.

If we're being told be to risk aware and limit going to retail etc.... we should know exactly the risk we face.

Omicron being rife in the community is not really a metric I can work with!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Don't think there was a need to get touchy about it.. not about that a turn a phrase anyway.

As it goes, I still wouldn't use up the fingers on my left hand with the amount of positive cases in our extended family. Both here and in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Why do people keep talking about schools? There has not even been a vague suggestion that they will play any part in any restrictions. In fact the government has said it won't review the current restrictions until a date beyond the return of schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

I don't ever get this. Why would opening up be an issue? Presumably a lockdown is designed to get numbers down. When that's achieved sufficiently that half the country is not out of work you can open up, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,476 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No and I never thought that. I just pointed out early on that we have a lot of idiots in this country who won't follow advice and will spread the virus.

That's still the case but it's pretty evident now that this thing is close to airborne so it doesn't really matter if the idiots don't heed advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

On the half hour, the system appears to release a fresh batch of slots, I'm assuming it's ones that failed/timed out in the previous 30 minutes. Another bunch just came up at 1.30am and I managed to nab one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

"let it rip"

One of the more recent annoying phrases to come of this pandemic

I never talked down on people with covid. I felt sorry fir anyone who contracted it.

Do you really want to go talking about what you said during this thing? How you talked down to people including me. How you dismissed my figures which were proven to be on the money. I don't remember you coming back apologising for being wrong then.

I stand by my comments about the amount of idiots in this country who will never listen to good advice and heed it.

As I said in the post you quoted to make your smart arsed comment it now looks like it's hard to avoid this thing. That's a hell of a lot different to how things were up to very recently.

I'm just describing the people as careful and following good advice, nothing more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Pro restriction merchants are much more insufferable

So what do you think we should do then? prolong this for a few more years? Sweden and Florida say a massive hello

What have Sweden and Florida got to say?

Also we still don't know if there's any long term affects from contracting this thing. We won't know that for a couple of years. Or do you know everything about the virus already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

We still don't know if there are any long term effects from taking a rushed vaccine, but over 90% still took the feckin thing

The news from South Africa so far is good

Advertisement