Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Found it interesting how he described the PCR test as “our gold standard PCR test”. Almost comes across as defensive towards the antigen tests because they’re being sold privately and not by ‘them’.
    It's more what the CMO said, in his Lidl reflection, that people reaching conclusions that might not be true and putting themselves in situations where they could be at risk of catching COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's more what the CMO said, in his Lidl reflection, that people reaching conclusions that might not be true and putting themselves in situations where they could be at risk of catching COVID.

They would have been going to these situations anyway ? These tests can only help . Even if only 6 out of 10 are done correctly

First Up wrote: »
    Are you inferring that NPHET are making money from the PCR tests?

No, absolutely not, but I don’t get the defensiveness of it. I know the 97.6% claim is pie in the sky but still the reaction just seems overly defensive. Wonder if it’s because it’s circle k and Lidl selling them, is there an assumption they’re poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No, absolutely not, but I don’t get the defensiveness of it. I know the 97.6% claim is pie in the sky but still the reaction just seems overly defensive. Wonder if it’s because it’s circle k and Lidl selling them, is there an assumption they’re poor quality.

My take on it.
    The accuracy of them are when performed by a trained professional I assume not by someone doing it to themselves.

They don't want people doing it and getting a negative result and assuming they did it right even though they probably haven't been trained on how to do it and going about their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The Case numbers are the stick that is used to beat us, they can't be losing grip on that, no reason why for instance this weekend, the pubs could open with RAT and a temperature check on the way in...no reason whatsoever.

• Advertisement

The Case numbers are the stick that is used to beat us, they can't be losing grip on that, no reason why for instance this weekend, the pubs could open with RAT and a temperature check on the way in...no reason whatsoever.

Large scale use of antigen tests would increase the case numbers, as the proper response to a positive antigen test is to get a confirmatory pcr test, not least because to get the Covid sick pay you will need one. Also each additional positive found would be contact traced finding even more. So whatever the reason, having scary case numbers is not the reason for reluctance in promoting widescale use of hone antigen tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Large scale use of antigen tests would increase the case numbers, as the proper response to a positive antigen test is to get a confirmatory pcr test, not least because to get the Covid sick pay you will need one. Also each additional positive found would be contact traced finding even more. So whatever the reason, having scary case numbers is not the reason for reluctance in promoting widescale use of hone antigen tests.

Proper according to who? The people who want us to take PCR tests?

Look I get the logic...I just don't agree with the logic, this time last year, perhaps, but this year we have a chance to press on with re openings and hopefully get some of the masses off the support payments...we've taken more people out of work than anywhere else I can see? Maybe I am wrong, maybe somewhere else has a higher unemployment rate than we do but I can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

These tests can only help . Even if only 6 out of 10 are done correctly
    Exactly - instead of wasting all these resources testing people, why don't we just toss a coin to decide who the infected people are?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

529 cases today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1400845421203886090

As of midnight, Thursday 3 June, we are reporting
    529* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

28 in ICU. 86 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

Edit: - This is the highest number of daily cases reported since Thursday, May 20 when there were 524 new infections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my sisters been using an antigen test twice a week for several months - works for the NHS test provided by the NHS self administered.

no idea what the resistance is (although it reduces there test figures so potentially increases their positivity rate??????????

my sisters been using an antigen test twice a week for several months - works for the NHS test provided by the NHS self administered.

no idea what the resistance is (although it reduces there test figures so potentially increases their positivity rate??????????
    Might just be that NHS bit of it and very different to Darren trying to spit on it so he can go to a party!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Got my second jab today, get home and see that Pfizer is not working so well against the Indian variant in the UK and a booster is likely required before year's end.
    Still I'm happy to be fully vaccinated and hopefully by the end of the month we'll have nearly everything back close to normal.
    Weird side affect, an old injury is giving me trouble today in my knee. I've heard about others experiencing similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

Why are Covid-19 case numbers so high in Limerick?

"Between 16 May and 3 June, 970 people tested positive in Limerick. In the same period, more than 17,000 tests were carried out.

From the middle of May, case numbers began their rapid ascent in Limerick, a trend not experienced in neighbouring counties.

So what are the circumstances that have driven this concerning increase?
    "

Statement from the Minister for Health on COVID-19 cases in Limerick

Ficheall wrote: »
    Exactly - instead of wasting all these resources testing people, why don't we just toss a coin to decide who the infected people are?

Huh

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

eagle eye wrote: »
    Got my second jab today, get home and see that Pfizer is not working so well against the Indian variant in the UK and a booster is likely required before year's end.
    Still I'm happy to be fully vaccinated and hopefully by the end of the month we'll have nearly everything back close to normal.
    Weird side affect, an old injury is giving me trouble today in my knee. I've heard about others experiencing similar.

I had the first Pfizer jab and one of the side effects was fairly bad pain in three old injuries in my knee ankle and hip

Lasted a few days

Huh
    You said it didn't matter if only six of ten tests were correctly done. Almost equivalent to trusting a tossed coin.

Pfizer still works against Delta but you need both doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

.backwards sentences my write to started I that was got I that effect side weird the

Ficheall wrote: »
    You said it didn't matter if only six of ten tests were correctly done. Almost equivalent to trusting a tossed coin.

These aren't PCR tests for symptomatic people or close contacts . Antigen tests or no test prior to events . What would you prefer ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,452 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Limerick lockdown, delayed reopenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What's all the worries with the delta, is it not just a matter of removing it or eradicating it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

[Removed Image]
    .backwards sentences my write to started I that was got I that effect side weird the

yoda-the-empire-strikes-back-28a7558.jpg?webp=true&quality=90&resize=620%2C413

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

[Removed Image]

yoda-the-empire-strikes-back-28a7558.jpg?webp=true&quality=90&resize=620%2C413

Not looking so hot after your jab mate, you should probably go and lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I really hope not, its no different to Donegal, Border counties, Dublin or many other lea's throughout the last 15 months. With hospital numbers declining and vaccinations hitting 3m this weekend, I had really hoped the obsession with case numbers would be behind us now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

No and no.

Quickly cleared up with a quick Google

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

prunudo wrote: »
    I really hope not, its no different to Donegal, Border counties, Dublin or many other lea's throughout the last 15 months. With hospital numbers declining and vaccinations hitting 3m this weekend, I had really hoped the obsession with case numbers would be behind us now at this stage.

It's not an obsession with case numbers, there's some large outbreaks in Limerick there's no getting away from that, you can't have outbreaks growing and growing, have to get a lid on them regardless, now public health say they are on top of it and bringing it under control. They've said if it was out of control it would be a different story.

So yes they're treating it the same as they did in Donegal with more testing available and an increased awareness. Simple stuff that'll do the job in all likelihood

• Registered Users Posts: 82,565 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

To give proper facts they should be telling us home many people (if any) currently in hospital have had the full recommended vaccine before they contracted Covid.

These aren't PCR tests for symptomatic people or close contacts . Antigen tests or no test prior to events . What would you prefer ?
    Depends on the numbers and people's behaviour. If 40% of them are administered incorrectly as you suggested, and of the 60% administered correctly, only 66% accurately identify a covid case, then if 10 covid-positive people attend an event, antigen testing removes 4 infected people from the event, but the other 6 start will act as if they don't have covid, and everyone else might assume there's no one around with covid.

Whereas if there's no testing, everyone will behave as if there might be people around with covid.

Which is worse? I don't know. I'm not sure what the numbers are and I'm not sure how people will act. But I certainly wouldn't assume that crappy tests "can only help".

• Advertisement

It's not an obsession with case numbers, there's some large outbreaks in Limerick there's no getting away from that, you can't have outbreaks growing and growing, have to get a lid on them regardless, now public health say they are on top of it and bringing it under control. They've said if it was out of control it would be a different story.

So yes they're treating it the same as they did in Donegal with more testing available and an increased awareness. Simple stuff that'll do the job in all likelihood
    It's also a good opportunity to combine strategies that might come into play with other outbreaks post-vaccination. The pop-ups are certainly one of the best newer approaches and have proven themselves very useful.

Advertisement