Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's also a good opportunity to combine strategies that might come into play with other outbreaks post-vaccination. The pop-ups are certainly one of the best newer approaches and have proven themselves very useful.

Yeah they definitely do a good job, proven in other areas to bring cases well down.

If supply wasn't an issue you could increase vaccine supply to the area also, but like I say that's if supply wasn't a barrier

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yeah they definitely do a good job, proven in other areas to bring cases well down.

If supply wasn't an issue you could increase vaccine supply to the area also, but like I say that's if supply wasn't a barrier

They did it in British Columbia . Huge outbreaks in two ski resorts in April . They shut down the slopes , stopped any visitors entering and vaccinated the whole town in 10 days
    It worked really well but is almost unworkable here really . It worked there due to the distance between towns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Ficheall wrote: »
    Depends on the numbers and people's behaviour. If 40% of them are administered incorrectly as you suggested, and of the 60% administered correctly, only 66% accurately identify a covid case, then if 10 covid-positive people attend an event, antigen testing removes 4 infected people from the event, but the other 6 start will act as if they don't have covid, and everyone else might assume there's no one around with covid.

Whereas if there's no testing, everyone will behave as if there might be people around with covid.

Which is worse? I don't know. I'm not sure what the numbers are and I'm not sure how people will act. But I certainly wouldn't assume that crappy tests "can only help".

Also you're acting as is vaccines aren't happening . I don't suffer with anxiety . They should be happening now without antigen tests and social distancing

28 people out of over 5 million in ICU lol

Covid is over . It's now an anxiety pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Alexa111

Hello new thread, how are you doing.

https://twitter.com/LaurelRosenhall/status/1400863695169720322?s=19

Classic America. Jokes aside it has a huge problem on their hands . The vaccine has become political over there . As a once off they got a portion to take at least one dose . Good luck with boosters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Alexa111 wrote: »
    Hello new thread, how are you doing.

Your a bit late aren't you, 3,579th post. :):D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Where are our incentives for vaccination, Free House, pint of Guinness, Free Meal, Free Festival Ticket, Free Car, maybe a butter voucher. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Also you're acting as is vaccines aren't happening . I don't suffer with anxiety . They should be happening now without antigen tests and social distancing

28 people out of over 5 million in ICU lol

Covid is over . It's now an anxiety pandemic
    Your family has all recovered okay then, I assume. Glad to hear it.

And I'm not "acting" as if anything. I'm just pointing out that a procedure with a high false-negative rate is a double-edged sword, despite your claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

No, absolutely not, but I don’t get the defensiveness of it. I know the 97.6% claim is pie in the sky but still the reaction just seems overly defensive. Wonder if it’s because it’s circle k and Lidl selling them, is there an assumption they’re poor quality.

More likely its because they fear a test conducted by an amateur on themself is less reliable than an objective test carried out by a professional and I have sympathy with that.

Antigen tests have their use. I didn't agree with Holohan's comments about the Lidl Antigen kits but only because I'd have preferred if he had helped people learn how to use them properly.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Your family has all recovered okay then, I assume. Glad to hear it.

And I'm not "acting" as if anything. I'm just pointing out that a procedure with a high false-negative rate is a double-edged sword, despite your claims.

They are now vaccinated . Like a huge portion of our adult population

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Same here.

IMO your Immune System probably went into overdrive and you got something to akin the way our bodies react when our autoimmune response are very high.

Which can be similar to the way autoimmune disease that can sometimes result as as rheumatoid arthritis for a short period of time.

Hmm could be

There's also speculation that a severe reaction to dose one of Pfizer is an indication you previously had Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Stheno wrote: »
    Hmm could be

There's also speculation that a severe reaction to dose one of Pfizer is an indication you previously had Covid

I agree :)

I got my First Pfizer injection about 6 weeks after being tested as positive for Covid.

Old injuries seem to come back from the past with a blast after that jab.

Mostly joint issues.

Getting second jab next week

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Where are our incentives for vaccination, Free House, pint of Guinness, Free Meal, Free Festival Ticket, Free Car, maybe a butter voucher. :)

Abolition of NPHET or just firing Holohan would drive vaccination rates through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwClyd2lHWo

Fascinating looking back to last Spring, the world's major cities completely devoid of people. The mood of the pandemic during that time was just so surreal, it almost feels like a different lifetime, compared to later lockdowns where it was just 'getting on with it'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Abolition of NPHET or just firing Holohan would drive vaccination rates through the roof.

Another absurd dig at NPHET.

Not even vaguely amusing or pertinent.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Another absurd dig at NPHET.

Not even vaguely amusing or pertinent.

Why do you always without fail feel the need to step in and defend NPHET when they are the subject of criticism, ridicule, bad jokes,repetive comments,bad taste or downright nonsense. Your unflinching support for them hardly need continuous repetition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Why do you always without fail feel the need to step in and defend NPHET when they are the subject of criticism, ridicule, bad jokes,repetive comments,bad taste or downright nonsense. Your unflinching support for them hardly need continuous repetition.

In fairness, he was responding to a point that made literally no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'll chip in for this, because it's free reign nonsense what they're suggesting, that the abolition of NPHET will drive vaccination rates through the roof, least of all when we have one of the highest vaccination uptakes in Europe.

Arghus wrote: »
    In fairness, he was responding to a point that made literally no sense.

It's pretty much a cult at this stage, very ironic all things considered.

Actually Eskimo, humour us, care to explain your logic? I'd love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Only 70 in hospitals across the country tonight and of that 70 28 are in ICU! Fantastic figures!!

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1400919162965405696?s=21

• Advertisement

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Only 70 in hospitals across the country tonight and of that 70 28 are in ICU! Fantastic figures!!

If only NPHET were disbanded and Paul Reid resigned we would have 0 hospitalisations and ICU admissions, am I doing this right?

I'm not defending them. I'm pointing out that that particular poster constantly calls for the abolition of NPHET as if that will end the pandemic and the restrictions will disappear overnight; as if some other individuals or entity wouldn't fill the vacancy or that a country doesn't need some form of health advice to government at times like this.

You'll find I've only ever looked for common sense and reasoned discussion. I have not defended NPHET but I have, and will, comment on absurd receptive unrealistic nonsense.

So, you need to look back and adjust your misguided impression. I've applauded criticism of some of NPHET's action when it is both sound and properly reasoned.

If you're happy to see the same old totally unrealistic bashing for the sake of bashing and blaming just to have somebody to blame then that tells us a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It seems to be dropping fast. I've have thought it would hit 100 and kinda slow right down.

I didn't realize on the hub, they have started updating figures as systems come back online. Blue figures are updated, grey are still old values.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'm not defending them. I'm pointing out that that particular poster constantly calls for the abolition of NPHET as if that will end the pandemic and the restrictions will disappear overnight; as if some other individuals or entity wouldn't fill the vacancy or that a country doesn't need some form of health advice to government at times line this.

You'll find I've only ever looked for common sense and reasoned discussion. I have not defended NPHET but I have, and will, comment on absurd receptive unrealistic nonsense.

So, you need to look back and adjust your misguided impression. I've applauded criticism of some of NPHET's action when it is both sound and properly reasoned.

If you're happy to see the same old totally unrealistic bashing for the sake of bashing and blaming just to have somebody to blame then that tells us a lot.

You must work for them /s

If only NPHET were disbanded and Paul Reid resigned we would have 0 hospitalisations and ICU admissions, am I doing this right?

Yeah I’m not sure on that one! As much as some people dislike Reid I personally think he’s a better communicator then Holahan, but no none should be fired but maybe keep some of their thoughts to themselves.....

Yeah I’m not sure on that one! As much as some people dislike Reid I personally think he’s a better communicator then Holahan, but no none should be fired but maybe keep some of their thoughts to themselves.....

I was being sarcastic, some posters are obsessed.

You must work for them /s

:D:D:D

Not even if they paid me. :)

Wolf359f wrote: »
    It seems to be dropping fast. I've have thought it would hit 100 and kinda slow right down.

I didn't realize on the hub, they have started updating figures as systems come back online. Blue figures are updated, grey are still old values.

Excellent, I’ll leave it another few days and get stuck into the figures again then.
    Hopefully we’ll get vaccine updates more regularly soon as well.
    On June 4th last year we had 140 in hospitals and of that 140 36 in icu!

And only 38 cases on June 4th 2020, over 500 today and an average of 420.
    Vaccines work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

That's fantastic news. I always assumed hospitalisation and ICU figures were separate. Brilliant :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

might be a bit left field here, but, could the cyber attack be a blessing in disgiuse to finally pushing the covid 19 thing away, like if we dont hear of cases and they arent reported cases go down right? problem solved no cases!

Advertisement