Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

funnydoggy wrote: »
    That's fantastic news. I always assumed hospitalisation and ICU figures were separate. Brilliant :)

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

funnydoggy wrote: »
    That's fantastic news. I always assumed hospitalisation and ICU figures were separate. Brilliant :)

No all in together! There won’t be many if any discharges over the BH but we should see more drops next week all going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Cork2021 wrote: »
    No all in together! There won’t be many if any discharges over the BH but we should see more drops next week all going well!

Life coming back quick :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Only 70 in hospitals across the country tonight and of that 70 28 are in ICU! Fantastic figures!!

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1400919162965405696?s=21

Lowest hospital case numbers since 16th September last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

coastwatch wrote: »
    Lowest hospital case numbers since 16th September last year.

Just looking at the reports from June last year. On the 30th of June we had 19 in hospital with 13 of those 19 in ICU! We’ll get there again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Wolf359f wrote: »
    It seems to be dropping fast. I've have thought it would hit 100 and kinda slow right down.

I didn't realize on the hub, they have started updating figures as systems come back online. Blue figures are updated, grey are still old values.

Good to see that coming back at such low figures alright .
    Would love to say it's getting back to normal but the bloody cyber hack is slowing things down considerably..
    As I said before it's like back to the 1980s running with paper forms and results , and trawling through reams of patient folders and bad writing to try to get someone's past history if they are too sick to tell you themselves ..

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Just looking at the reports from June last year. On the 30th of June we had 19 in hospital with 13 of those 19 in ICU! We’ll get there again

No doubt we will, but just cant help thinking how many of us thought we had "dodged a bullet" by late summer last year, not realising the worst was still to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

coastwatch wrote: »
    No doubt we will, but just cant help thinking how many of us thought we had "dodged a bullet" by late summer last year, not realising the worst was still to come.

Vaccines are the difference! We'll be good. I'm optimistic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Good to see that coming back at such low figures alright .
    Would love to say it's getting back to normal but the bloody cyber hack is slowing things down considerably..
    As I said before it's like back to the 1980s running with paper forms and results , and trawling through reams of patient folders and bad writing to try to get someone's past history if they are too sick to tell you themselves ..

I can't even imagine how something simple like bloods work. Lab have to print out the results and it be physically delivered to the consultant?
    I know from being in hospital the nurses always write temps/stats in your file, but I assume that's just for handing off from shift to shift. It's the stuff entered on the computers, scans/results/bloods/patient history etc... that's the important stuff.

People always complained there was too much paperwork too old fashioned in the health system. I guess that's not strictly the case.
    Hopefully they all come back up soon, lord knows HCW's have had a bloody rough 15 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Only 70 in hospitals across the country tonight and of that 70 28 are in ICU! Fantastic figures!!

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1400919162965405696?s=21

You'd have more people in with normal flu in the winter months. Vaccinations mean this is all but over.

• Advertisement

I can't even imagine how something simple like bloods work. Lab have to print out the results and it be physically delivered to the consultant?
    I know from being in hospital the nurses always write temps/stats in your file, but I assume that's just for handing off from shift to shift. It's the stuff entered on the computers, scans/results/bloods/patient history etc... that's the important stuff.

People always complained there was too much paperwork too old fashioned in the health system. I guess that's not strictly the case.
    Hopefully they all come back up soon, lord knows HCW's have had a bloody rough 15 months!

Ever get the feeling that something or someone is just out to get ya ..that's how it feels in healthcare ! :D

But look, it could be worse!
    Imagine if this had happened even three months ago !

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Ever get the feeling that something or someone is just out to get ya ..that's how it feels in healthcare ! :D

Murphy's Law!
    Keep the head up, I don't think the public will ever forget your sacrifices. Government may.... or likely will, public wont!

Probably do a big sweep out tomorrow and that will be it till Tuesday .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I don't think the public will ever forget your sacrifices.
    Many of them already have..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Every hospital has a different system.

Where I work, samples come in, they get a dummy generic barcode. Samples have to be centrifuged, put on the analsyer, manually type in patients name, hospital number and ward. Tell the analsyer what tests to process on each sample. Print off 2 copies of results. Check all results are valid, remove the ones that had interferences, ring the critical results.

Retain one copy in a filing cabinet attached to the original request form filed by day in alphabetical order by surname. The 2nd copy is placed in envelopes labelled with the ward. Runners come once an hour to deliver the envelopes to the wards to be placed in patients files. They do this 24/7.

We had extra staff on at nights and weekends with no notice. People who came off the on call rota due to medical reasons had to do nights because there was no one else to do it.

The phones rang off the hook all day with wards looking for results. Some forms had the wrong ward on them. Some had no location on them so the results had to go to bed management dept to see where the patient was. This delayed results getting back.

This week as we have regained some systems, many people have the long, tedious job of inputting all that data back onto the system from those paper copies.

Then problems arise. People were assigned hospital numbers that were actually already assigned to other patients, so now you risk 2 sets of patient data being under one file. Patients DOB don't match on the request forms and samples because somewhere along the line, a human error transcribed it wrong. Hospital numbers differ by the odd digit and that's a completely different patient.

The cyber attack is obviously completely different to the covid crisis in many ways but this has been an utter disaster. It has crippled every hospital.

Edit
    Rte tweeted an insight. Another critical part of diagnostics, Radiography also set back 40 years with the work they could carry out.
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1400503873635328015?s=19

Every hospital has a different system.

Where I work, samples come in, they get a dummy generic barcode. Samples have to be centrifuged, put on the analsyer, manually type in patients name, hospital number and ward. Tell the analsyer what tests to process on each sample. Print off 2 copies of results. Check all results are valid, remove the ones that had interferences, ring the critical results.

Retain one copy in a filing cabinet attached to the original request form filed by day in alphabetical order by surname. The 2nd copy is placed in envelopes labelled with the ward. Runners come once an hour to deliver the envelopes to the wards to be placed in patients files. They do this 24/7.

We had extra staff on at nights and weekends with no notice. People who came off the on call rota due to medical reasons had to do nights because there was no one else to do it.

The phones rang off the hook all day with wards looking for results. Some forms had the wrong ward on them. Some had no location on them so the results had to go to bed management dept to see where the patient was. This delayed results getting back.

This week as we have regained some systems, many people have the long, tedious job of inputting all that data back onto the system from those paper copies.

Then problems arise. People were assigned hospital numbers that were actually already assigned to other patients, so now you risk 2 sets of patient data being under one file. Patients DOB don't match on the request forms and samples because somewhere along the line, a human error transcribed it wrong. Hospital numbers differ by the odd digit and that's a completely different patient.

The cyber attack is obviously completely different to the covid crisis in many ways but this has been an utter disaster. It has crippled every hospital.

Edit
    Rte tweeted an insight. Another critical part of diagnostics, Radiography also set back 40 years with the work they could carry out.
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1400503873635328015?s=19
    Thanks for the brief summary of how it's impacted you in the lab. We only really hear about delays on people getting scans etc... we dont really hear about the extra workload and stress on the staff.

It's one thing printing off the results rather than the consultant being able to access it directly, and having runners to distribute it. But once handwriting details come into the equations, that's when things slow right down and mistakes can be made. Is it a 1 or 7, 0 or O etc...

For everything the health system has gone through these past 15 months, it;s hard to imagine it will ever recover. But I'm hopeful it will be rebuilt back stronger. Wishful thinking maybe, but if we've ever need to change it, it's now and not sometime in the future etc...

But a thanks for all your posts. it was really insightful getting all the testing explained, CT values, your opinion on antigen tests etc...
    We were all frustrated with lack of testing a year ago, it barely gets a mention now. You all ramped up massively that the talk of German testing capacity became redundant! It's easy to forget people like yourselves in this pandemic!
    I certainly wouldn't be holding positive swabs without a ****ing hazmat suit on!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The sensationalist headline here may be right. Certainly not a path you'd like to see any country take.
    Prosecutors in Camden, New Jersey, charged a home health aide accused of inadvertently exposing an elderly patient to Covid-19 early in the pandemic in what appears to be the only case of its kind. The patient, an 80-year-old woman, died of the illness in May last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/04/new-jersey-josefina-brito-fernandez-home-health-aide-covid

Arghus wrote: »
    In fairness, he was responding to a point that made literally no sense.
    Actually Eskimo, humour us, care to explain your logic? I'd love to know.

Yes, I will.

A previous poster discussed the methods that some cities/states are using to encourage vaccination rates - such as a lottery-style approach where people can win vast sums of money.

It was then asked what would drive vaccination rates through the roof here.

And my tongue-in-cheek suggestion was that, if the population was told that Holohan would be fired / NPHET abolished if vaccination rates reached 90%, then vaccination rates would then go through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well in a shocking turn of events it seems more public toilets hasn't solved the drink problem some youths have.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/gardai-make-arrests-disperse-large-24253963.amp

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And some more bright ideas from business groups!
    A Dublin business group is calling for the grounds of Dublin Castle to be made available for outdoor drinkers this weekend to alleviate pressure on the city streets.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/business-group-calls-for-dublin-castle-grounds-to-open-for-street-drinkers-1.4584770

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭jackboy

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well in a shocking turn of events it seems more public toilets hasn't solved the drink problem some youths have.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/gardai-make-arrests-disperse-large-24253963.amp

It’s all a bit confusing. Did they not install loads of toilets to encourage crowds and outdoor drinking. If not what are they for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

pjohnson wrote: »

There is a minority of trouble makers who go out of their way to provoke the gardai. They'll use peaceful protests or other gatherings to blend in and then rile up the gardai. And yes, unfortunately drink has been taken, but it doesn't mean the majority can't behave and drink responsibly outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yes, I will.

A previous poster discussed the methods that some cities/states are using to encourage vaccination rates - such as a lottery-style approach where people can win vast sums of money.

It was then asked what would drive vaccination rates through the roof here.

And my tongue-in-cheek suggestion was that, if the population was told that Holohan would be fired / NPHET abolished if vaccination rates reached 90%, then vaccination rates would then go through the roof.

Thanks, I highly doubt that and we won't be far off that stat when all is said and done.

Just to pre-empt NPHET as case numbers naturally rise as society unlocks (who will no doubt push for delays to re-opening based on case numbers alone), here is Professor Tim Spectre discussing the need to not panic over rising case numbers in the UK due to the Indian variant (I refuse to use the PC Greek nomenclature imposed by the WHO, not least because if you know where a variant comes from, you can ban travel / discourage travel etc.).

So yes, case numbers will rise as society unlocks here, too - and only those who have chosen not to take a vaccine will be at risk, but that is their own choice and we - and Holohan - must respect that. Young people are almost never going to be hospitalized / die, from this virus. As case numbers rise to very high figures, society shouldn't panic. The problem is when the media, especially RTE, and NPHET start their usual movements to terrify the population again.

This time, there must be overwhelming public pressure on politicians not to give in to NPHET or further delays, but to accept the risk that comes with the virus now that almost all at-risk individuals have been vaccinated.

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Just to pre-empt NPHET as case numbers naturally rise as society unlocks (who will no doubt push for delays to re-opening based on case numbers alone), here is Professor Tim Spectre discussing the need to not panic over rising case numbers in the UK due to the Indian variant (I refuse to use the PC Greek nomenclature imposed by the WHO, not least because if you know where a variant comes from, you can ban travel / discourage travel etc.).

So yes, case numbers will rise as society unlocks here, too - and only those who have chosen not to take a vaccine will be at risk, but that is their own choice and we - and Holohan - must respect that. Young people are almost never going to be hospitalized / die, from this virus. As case numbers rise to very high figures, society shouldn't panic. The problem is when the media, especially RTE, and NPHET start their usual movements to terrify the population again.

This time, there must be overwhelming public pressure on politicians not to give in to NPHET or further delays, but to accept the risk that comes with the virus now that almost all at-risk individuals have been vaccinated.

True, but the fact that only adults are offered that vaccine means that not everyone who wants a vaccine will be offered it. A large proportion of the population will not be offered the vaccine which means that herd immunity through vaccination is not possible this year.

Yes the young people are generally not high risk but this does significantly complicate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

prunudo wrote:
    There is a minority of trouble makers who go out of their way to provoke the gardai. They'll use peaceful protests or other gatherings to blend in and then rile up the gardai. And yes, unfortunately drink has been taken, but it doesn't mean the majority can't behave and drink responsibly outdoors.
    Very true.
    The problems lie in the Justice and law and order areas.
    Nobody wants to arrest these people, bring them to court and jail them.
    Instead we all get punished by having some of our civil liberties taken away to try and prevent these things happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

jackboy wrote: »
    True, but the fact that only adults are offered that vaccine means that not everyone who wants a vaccine will be offered it. A large proportion of the population will not be offered the vaccine which means that herd immunity through vaccination is not possible this year.

Yes the young people are generally not high risk but this does significantly complicate things.

Grasping at straws there, I don't see the complication if higher risk are vaccinated, in fact the more cases in young people now will mean more have immunity.

Richard Chambers released a very powerful graph several days ago and, once you've seen it, you can't unsee it.

It shows how far along with the vaccination program we have come, and how this irreversible progress should - if the political will exists - allow society to reopen without further delay.

It also puts into stark focus your concerns and how things really aren't as bad as you have perhaps understandably made out.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1400446719876206595

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Richard Chambers released a very powerful graph several days ago and, once you've seen it, you can't unsee it.

It shows how far along with the vaccination program we have come, and how this irreversible progress should - if the political will exists - allow society to reopen without further delay.

It also puts into stark focus your concerns and how things really aren't as bad as you have perhaps understandably made out.

I don’t think things are very bad but it is true that there will be no herd immunity this year. There will be a few twists to the story yet.

• Advertisement

I don’t think things are very bad but it is true that there will be no herd immunity this year. There will be a few twists to the story yet.

I'd like to know what the estimated immunity levels in the population is / and will be in the coming weeks.

Vaccine immunity + estimated community immunity = ???

It's a simple formula. NPHET should release this information for public consumption.

Advertisement