Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Yip exactly. I remember listening to UK Radio when euros were on and hearing NHS adds that 1 in 3 won't know they have it.

For under 50s Covid was always mild illness , Omicron variant now even more so, yet people who have got omicron proclaim it's the vaccine that has saved them. I would wager they may have been same without it.

I got the booster and regretted it. Don't see the benefit to me under 40. Omicron is spreading like mad anyway and everyone I speak to describes a cold.

Anyone that questions the vaccine is "Anti-Vax" but this is nonsense. It's really getting to stage there is no clear policy from government largely as they are playing wait and see I guess. The vaccine efficacy itself is very short lived if top ups are needed after 10-12 weeks.

I'd wind up this whole booster camping now and get ready to reopen everything. Doomsdaying about long Covid is just keeping it in news cycles.

The vaccines have helped us greatly, but nature has taken over now and created a variant akin to a flu.

My children are under 5 , if they weren't I wouldn't be vaccinating them as I can't see the benefit - adults get boosters , RNA vaccine wanes and omicron infection is like cold to kids. Unless something like Novavax shows long term efficacy I don't see point of continually jabbing younger age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Lock this motherfucka down.

Get jabs into kids arms and boosters for adults. Ventilate classrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Rarely a symptom with Omicron. I know quite a few isolating now and none had taste or smell issues. Only 1 had a cough - a slight dry cough.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

All of which will do nothing to stop cases. Accept that COVID is going nowhere. Wind down testing and start acting like grown ups again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That was the most “extreme” symptom I had, it was very minimal and taste etc all returned in a day or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah there are definitely suggestions or that.

Anecdotally from one case I know

- Picked it up Xmas Day (nobody else there was positive but everyone has since tested +)

- Symptoms started evening of 26th.

- Positive antigen morning of 28th

- Symptoms gone by evening of 30th

- First negative antigen this morning.

Obviously is going to continue to isolate, but feels 100% now. That's a week from catching it to being antigen negative, and very mild symptoms, all given.

Fully boosted now to be fair, but also elderly and not in peak condition.

A far cry from the early days where there was talk of 7 days flattened in bed and a month reeling from the recovery.

I agree with a lot of that. I am due a booster now and expecting an appointment soon but I think I would rather catch omicron and develop a natural immunity. I do think we are in the end game now in terms of restrictions and the Covid vaccine will be given out regularly to whoever wants one - the over 50s will be strongly encouraged to get a booster before the winter months. We will all be encouraged to stay fit and healthy and get loads of sunshine (VitD).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

If this was the right answer it would be the policy world wide.

the fact the rest of Europe have taken the same steps as us shows that the expert advice is all leaning in the same way.

not lockdown, but letting it rip isn’t a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

What’s the point in catching it to be immune to it?

• Advertisement

Because it's very mild. The vaccine booster will likely wipe me out for 2-3 days anyway - the original doses did. Also there is growing evidence that vaccines plus natural immunity provide better and more robust long term protection.

It's ripping either way. ICU is grand.

We're starting to see testing and isolation winding down.

Time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

I think the booster money be spent better on a health campaign judging by the amount of overweight people in the queues for boosters. There is a weight pandemic I would reckon and it's seems to be a significant factor in Covid complications. That said I think modern living is just all driving people to gain weight as it rolls on and there is no stopping it

Looks like there are quality control issues with some of the antigen tests.

see thread: https://twitter.com/niamh_dr/status/1477210833293828096?s=21

This is why I was always concerned with the “let the market fix everything” approach taken by the government.

It’s almost inevitable that there’s going to be an issue and it’s also showing up in Germany.

I’m not sure how we are being expected to figure this out, dealing with unheard of companies and brands with poor info about standards marking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Still don’t see why you want protection from something you’re actively looking to get infected by in order become immune to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

We’re only changing testing becuase we can’t cope with current numbers?

that isn’t winding down, it’s a panic solution

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

A weight pandemic actively worsened by governments at every opportunity during Covid.

Closing of gyms repeatedly, closing of indoor sports repeatedly - takeaways open throughout.

Keeping people within 5km of their homes.

Closing parks so the public couldn't go to them.

The last two years were a great opportunity to tell people - hey, being overweight is one of the main predictors for a negative Covid outcome. Lets try to eat healthier and exercise more.

Nope. NPHET and govt decided it was best to stop people from exercising, encourage them to sit at home (and inevitably gorge on junk and alcohol) in a move that really falls in line with most of their appalling 'decisions'.

And then picking on unvaccinated people rather than pointing out the dangers of obesity.

Post edited by Hey boy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It's a paradox, sitting indoors for 2 years watching TV and getting fatter was considered a sensible response to a disease that primarily targets obesity.

I’m not biting, it’s too easy plus better things to do.

If you’re interested there is any amount of free material which will explain this to you. Don’t believe everything Dawkins etc tell you - I know it’s popular to bash belief in God etc but it’s not nearly as simple as you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And telling the over 70 not to leave the house not even for a walk . So many suffered with stiff joints etc after cocooning for months

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TracyMartell

If anyone is still waiting for a booster. There’s barely any queue to get one in the national show centre in swords. I dropped someone there an hour ago.

To be fair I’ve seen the opposite in the last year, a lot of people out walking. Way more than I’ve ever seen before.

If I go to my local beach nowadays it’s always got people walking on it and even swimming in December. Most of that seemed to start during the county bounds travel restrictions and has continued. There are coffee places and little coffee vans booming away in places I’ve never seen them before and at scenic locations that would have historically been badly served. Things got organised and people went out.

Also if you look at the greenways (walking and cycling) and cycle infrastructure in Cork City for example has boomed and is busy.

Loads of people seem to walk now rather than get the bus too.

I’m finding in general a lot of people become less worried by a bit of rain and are way more outdoorsy. The outdoor dining is also fantastically well put together in Cork City and I think that’s driven a bit of a “getting over” our pathological fear of slight breezes.

I think it depends on the individual though. A lot of those very out of shape people wouldn’t ever have gone to a gym in the first place.

I would agree though the cocooners had it very rough in some cases not going outside their hall doors for months. That was probably unavoidable pre vaccine but it wasn’t well handled. I know a few people who frankly went into completely over the top mode and still are terrified to go outside. You’ll often see the old man, walking along on an empty beach or an empty street at night wearing full masking etc. I worry a bit about those. That kind of stuff doesn’t really make sense anymore and probably never did. I can understand taking precautions in busy spaces, indoor and unventilated spaces, even in packed city streets it makes sense, but I’ve often seen people out for a lonely walk fully masked and it just makes me wonder about the advice being given and how it’s being interpreted by some. I’d suspect there’s a layer of serious social and even psychological problems that were triggered by this. I mean, can you imagine how someone who maybe already had OCD or agoraphobia might feel right now?

I’ve also found that the anti everything brigade have caused some of those issues to be left without discussion as they’re turning everything into a conspiracy theory and caused a chilling effect on discussion, as the moment a topic is raised they pile on with the crazy stuff. A lot of stuff that needed to be talked about isn’t being.

It’s complicated though. Some things have worked well. Some people have gotten on a lot better than others and it all depends on personal circumstances. I think it’s been a very different experience for different people and I think people need to be able to express that they’re not ok too.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

23000 cases reported but I’d say the real figure is double that. Have heard of 5 people just today with positive antigen tests and no PCR appointments available

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I would not be surprised. And if mild that is a positive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’m afraid to feel too positive but it really does look like this is the beginning of the end, omicron to the rescue. Really hoping it’s the case, think people really have had enough of this sh1t show.

• Advertisement

If you’ve a positive antigen test, perhaps confirm it with a second one and self-isolate.

The PCR system isn’t ever going to be able to test the whole population on a daily basis. The technology is too cumbersome, labour intensive and expensive to do that.

I get that people want certificates, but there’s also a large cohort who do not need them, yet still seem to think they desperately need PCR tests.

I know people working from home, with no issues whatsoever about HR requirements, double and triple vaccinated, mild sniffly symptoms who are absolutely fixated on getting a PCR. I can’t understand why. It’s like they think it’ll cure it or something.

For the vast, vast majority of us, this is going to be a few days at home, tea, Panadol and sympathy. 94% of adults are double vaccinated, almost 100% in some counties and ages and a rapidly growing number are also boosted.

Unless you’re unlucky enough to have bad symptoms, I can’t really see what the panic to get HSE care is all about.

I just can’t understand why we’re swamping the public testing facilities to confirm information most of us already know.

Advertisement