Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

User1998 wrote:
    You can keep being cautious all you like but me and plenty of others are ready to get on with our lives thanks very much

Well don't come crying to me if things workout badly for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭User1998

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well don't come crying to me if things workout badly for you.

I’ve had covid already and it was little more than a bad head cold, and all my vulnerable family members have been vaccinated so I’m sure I’l do just fine, as will over 99% of the population

Guineys now selling black out curtains for the more hardcore twicher . you should look into gettin a pair.
    I think it's you that needs to remove the blinkers tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I'm in Princes Street in Cork with my other half and am after a pint, listening to a busker and the atmosphere is electric. So so lovely. I missed this. I don't really drink either, it's not what I missed, it's the craic and the people.

Better days are coming :) sláinte folks

I'm a bit tipsy.. lightweight lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Wrinkly runner

Let's be clear here, and I've got my two jabs already, it's great to have these vaccines but it's not necessarily the end of this. We still need to be careful, we still need to have a bit of cop on.
    It's not going back to normal yet, close to it but you don't want to be mixing with people you don't know who may be carrying variants that your vaccine doesn't work great against.
    We have to wait for most of the world to be vaccinated to relax fully.
    I'm looking forward to a great summer where I can meet up with loads of friends and hopefully have a holiday.
    What I won't be doing is going anywhere with crowds of strangers who I know next to nothing about.

And again on all the moaning about RTE in particular and others. Will you just not listen to them if it bothers you that much. It'll lead to a much more stress free life for you.
    Ur trolling right?

• Advertisement

User1998 wrote:
    I’ve had covid already and it was little more than a bad head cold, and all my vulnerable family members have been vaccinated so I’m sure I’l do just fine, as will over 99% of the population
    What are you basing that on? Fresh air is my guess.
    We already know that having covid isn't certain to protect you.
    We already know that there's an Indian variant that Pfizer doesn't do so great against, so much so that it's expected there'll be a booster before Christmas.

What are you basing that on? Fresh air is my guess.
    We already know that having covid isn't certain to protect you.
    We already know that there's an Indian variant that Pfizer doesn't do so great against, so much so that it's expected there'll be a booster before Christmas.

I’m basing it on science.

We already know that catching a virus gives you natural immunity for a long period of time

We already know that all approved vaccines prevent severe illness and death against all variants of covid

There has been booster jabs in the making well before the Indian variant appeared

Literally everything you said is wrong. Where are you actually getting your information from?

User1998 wrote:
    We already know that catching a virus gives you natural immunity for a long period of time
    Not with this, I know two.people who contracted it at the same time. One still has immunity the other didn't after six months.
    I believe they currently have the certain immunity period at four months for coronavirus.
    User1998 wrote:
    We already know that all approved vaccines prevent severe illness and death against all variants of covid
    That's not true either. There's already vaccinated people who have contracted the virus and suffered with it.
    User1998 wrote:
    There has been booster jabs in the making well before the Indian variant appeared
    And they did not know about the problems with the Indian variant.
    User1998 wrote:
    Literally everything you said is wrong. Where are you actually getting your information from?
    Most of this is in the news regularly. I read the CDC website regularly. I read a lot of stuff. I don't read anything off social media or anything with an agenda.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not with this, I know two.people who contracted it at the same time. One still has immunity the other didn't after six months.
    I believe they currently have the certain immunity period at four months for coronavirus.

That's not true either. There's already vaccinated people who have contracted the virus and suffered with it.

And they did not know about the problems with the Indian variant.

Most of this is in the news regularly. I read the CDC website regularly. I read a lot of stuff. I don't read anything off social media or anything with an agenda.

NPHET only this week issues guidance that following having Covid you are immune for at least nine months

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/nine-month-post-covid-immunity-increases-fully-vaccinated-numbers-with-single-dose-1.4583063%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Ficheall wrote: »
    It's possible to both be cautious and get on with one's life...

Was just about to say this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Do you work for the media or something ? No vaccine is 100%. Even with the original strain some vaccinated will get the virus. The vaccine works excellent against the Indian variant, it’s not quite effective after the first jab.

Matt Hancock mentioned today the Delta variant is 40% more transmissable but vaccines are equally effective against all variants after the second dose. You seem angry that this is coming to an end for some reason.

Its obvious from your previous posts that read click bait mainstream media posts and take it for what it is without doing adequate research.

Should we stay in lockdown forever because a tiny proportion of people get covid twice or get it after being vaccinated?

I thought the whole point of restrictions were to stop the hospitals from being over run?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

whats story with numbers when was the last covid death in ireland?

User1998 wrote:
    Its obvious from your previous posts that read click bait mainstream media posts and take it for what it is without doing adequate research.
    I don't read crap as I said in the list you quoted.
    User1998 wrote:
    Should we stay in lockdown forever because a tiny proportion of people get covid twice or get it after being vaccinated?
    I'm certainly not staying in lockdown as I said already. I'm just staying away from areas packed with strangers who I know nothing about. If you call that lockdown then we disagree on that.
    User1998 wrote:
    I thought the whole point of restrictions were to stop the hospitals from being over run?
    My own personal health and that of my family are my primary concern.
    When we get most of the world vaccinated them we can fully relax and go back to where we were before this thing.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Do you work for the media or something ? No vaccine is 100%. Even with the original strain some vaccinated will get the virus. The vaccine works excellent against the Indian variant, it’s not quite effective after the first jab.

Matt Hancock mentioned today the Delta variant is 40% more transmissable but vaccines are equally effective against all variants after the second dose. You seem angry that this is coming to an end for some reason.
    Do I work.fir the media, lol.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40306799.html%3ftype=amp

Did you read past the headline? After one dose. When fully vaxxed they are are as effective as with all variants.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/24/two-doses-of-covid-vaccines-provide-protection-against-india-variant.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Did you read past the headline? After one dose. When fully vaxxed they are are as effective as with all variants.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/24/two-doses-of-covid-vaccines-provide-protection-against-india-variant.html

Unfortunately people don't read past the headlines!

An analogy I like is, Covid is like a camp fire out of control, A vaccine would be like a swimming pool of water to douse it out it. A much less efficient vaccine would be a bathtub of water. Still enough to do the job, but less impressive as a swimming pool.

With all these variants going about, not one vaccine manufacturer has being trying to sell an updated vaccine (I know Moderna was testing with variants etc...) but they are that confident the current vaccines are working.

Micky 32 wrote:
    From the article......

'According to the research, in people who had received two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, levels of neutralising antibodies were more than five times lower against the Indian variant when compared to the original strain, upon which current vaccines are based.

This antibody response was even lower in people who had only received one dose.'

From the article......

'According to the research, in people who had received two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, levels of neutralising antibodies were more than five times lower against the Indian variant when compared to the original strain, upon which current vaccines are based.

This antibody response was even lower in people who had only received one dose.'

5 times lower neutralising antibodies does not mean 5 times lower efficacy against mild symptoms ( serious illness and hospitalizations hardly affected)

You are still being duped by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Wolf359f wrote: »
    An analogy I like is, Covid is like a camp fire out of control, A vaccine would be like a swimming pool of water to douse it out it. A much less efficient vaccine would be a bathtub of water. Still enough to do the job, but less impressive as a swimming pool.
    Whatever about the sentiment, I'm not sure if your analogy helps - what if your "much less efficient" vaccine is just a mug of water? Or a bucket?

The debate seems to just be the size of the container.. I don't get what clarity or info your analogy intends to introduce..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Ficheall wrote: »
    Whatever about the sentiment, I'm not sure if your analogy helps - what if your "much less efficient" vaccine is just a mug of water? Or a bucket?

The debate seems to just be the size of the container.. I don't get what clarity or info your analogy intends to introduce..

They only say a reduction of 500% antibodies (5 times reduced)
    They never mention that the comparison could be 1000x antibody response vs 200x antibodies. Both still way in excess of reducing hospitalizations and deaths. But 5 times less is the click bait title.

The analogy is based on antibodies, which is just one line of defense we have, we also have T cells, which are still a mystery in defining immunity. With the same analogy, you may only have a bucket to put out that camp fire, but your T cells are a fire hose filling up that bucket to keep dousing that fire!

Micky 32 wrote:
    5 times lower neutralising antibodies does not mean 5 times lower efficacy against mild symptoms ( serious illness and hospitalizations hardly affected)

How am I being duped? There is a concern, there's a booster planned because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

How am I being duped? There is a concern, there's a booster planned because of it.

Of course there’s a booster planned

There’s money to be had

Boosters were always a plan. There’s nothing definate about a booster being needed yet. If we do need one so be it.

Either way life is going back to normal whether some like it or not. The vaccines work.

This is true.

The immune system is more than just antibodies. There is also the T-cell response that must be factored in, among many other factors.

That was misleading by the media to correlate lower antibody level with ineffective. The scientists admit that this isn't the case, but you only find those quotes at the dungeon bottom level of any news article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Boosters were always a plan. There’s nothing definate about a booster being needed yet. If we do need one so be it.

Either way life is going back to normal whether some like it or not. The vaccines work.

UK are having over 400 cases in people who have been vaccinated with two doses, its only the start of the 3rd wave their with the Delta variant. While the vaccines are very good on an individual level they have their limitations. We need to be wary here anyway, we have seen that NPHET and Government take a very cautious approach.

That's said its good to see people out enjoying themselves. Can sense the change in people's moods etc. Balance between positivity and caution is required at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

Wolf359f wrote: »
    They only say a reduction of 500% antibodies (5 times reduced)
    They never mention that the comparison could be 1000x antibody response vs 200x antibodies. Both still way in excess of reducing hospitalizations and deaths. But 5 times less is the click bait title.

The analogy is based on antibodies, which is just one line of defense we have, we also have T cells, which are still a mystery in defining immunity. With the same analogy, you may only have a bucket to put out that camp fire, but your T cells are a fire hose filling up that bucket to keep dousing that fire!

500% less is negative, you mean a reduction of 80%

Yes these articles never mention T-cells or anything, anything for a click

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Some updated modelling on the Delta variant in the UK.

https://twitter.com/JamesWard73/status/1401806768519405569

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭amandstu

From today, according to RTE

"Those in an unvaccinated private household can welcome visitors from one other unvaccinated household"

Is this "without masks" ?(obviously "with commonsense")

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0607/1226375-covid-ireland-restrictions-easing/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Economics101

amandstu wrote: »
    From today, according to RTE

"Those in an unvaccinated private household can welcome visitors from one other unvaccinated household"

Is this "without masks" ?(obviously "with commonsense")

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0607/1226375-covid-ireland-restrictions-easing/
    This sounds to me like micro-management and control freakery gone mad. Commonsense? Clearly NPHET believe that most of us don't have it, but that nevertheless we will jump to obey their every "rule".

Advertisement