Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Watching the Sky News at the moment and it seems to be a total S^*t show over in England with the NHS under extreme preesue, talks of restrictions being brought in when the government meet on Tues, and to think they are two weeks ahead of us on the virus case numbers, this is only going to get worse unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Top headline on their site is that cabinet is happy with latest data and no need for more restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

I respect your view and opinion but you do know that you may of actually had Covid 19, been asymptomatic and not even known you had it?

With all due respect, the way your living your life is like is just existing, existing in fear of a virus that more than likely you would be fine if you did contract it (unless you’ve serious underlying conditions)

Have you been triple jabbed?

Enjoy your life. It’s short.

• Advertisement

No problem to us to be honest, both OH and myself would have slight underlying health conditions but what our fear is that we would pass the virus onto our elderly parents, that's why we're doing what we're doing and as I say it's no big challenge to us, yes, we miss going to the local pub for the trad session every two weeks and going out for a meal in a restaurant/bar which we used to do maybe every four weeks but apart from that our life hasn't really been impacted.

The mood music is good but all it takes is for a NPHET presentation to show some of Nolan’s “grim” scenarios for it all to go the opposite direction fairly quickly.

Some of the anti alcohol mafia on nphet might be kept busy this week after getting their holy grail of MUP (Dr Favier anyone..)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Fear not, I know of one bloke (late 50s) with several underlying conditions cooked up in his bedroom since the night of the 25th/26th and his only complaint is nobody to have a few beers with. Stuffy nose and other conditions indistinguishable from a regular hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Fair play to you. Hopefully we’ll be out of this soon though.

I see that Conor guy is getting awful abuse on Twitter by the ISAG loons, to the point it’s defamatory (people accusing him of pocketing charity donations). All he does is post data. He has been massively critical of both government and nphet.

So weird, there are a sizeable minority who do not want this to end, ever. Unhinged even. Fair enough, there’s people here who disagree when things should be wound down. But reading stuff aimed at him, there’s a decent cohort of both young and old, educated (even one retired teacher who by the looks Of it never wants schools opened again) who are happy to collect the €€ and prolong this for their own sense of fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

That’s an extremely dramatic reporting of the psychology of people who don’t share your opinions.

I know the guy you're talking about on twitter but the cohort of people you're talking about (ourselves included) are not hoping to prolong this godamn pandemic but doing our best to keep our nearest and dearest safe and well while it is ongoing.

No bother with people who don’t share my Opinions. But ISAG are loons, they have zero credibility, ironically because of their fanatical obsession with zero Covid, something even NPHET slapped down.

From reading some of the pile on on him, it’s absolutely clear there are some people who don’t want this to end. The main fella at him is claiming that every time ICU numbers go down, someone has died. Now that is either highly, highly ignorant, or it’s deliberately pushing an agenda.

Debate is fine. I mean, it happens every day here, back and forth. But there is no debate with this ISAG inspired restrictions for ever, no deaths ever, never open schools. Last year ISAG (Tomas Ryan) pushed a view that lots of children would die in Ireland. Baseless and false, but lapped up nonetheless from some easily impressionable people who use this stuff as a reason to target school closures.

What cohort is that?! I mentioned a cohort abusing him as a grifter that want to collect the money forever and prolong this. Are you saying you’re in this cohort? I’m certainly not saying that!

I understand genuine concerns about vulnerable relatives, that’s not the people I’m getting at. I’ve had vulnerable relatives die of Covid myself. No restriction would have saved them, as I’ve mentioned before. I’ve no issue with people isolating themselves and taking measures on an individual level. But this should be down to individuals and not a state mandated action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

You can hide for the next 10 years, when you open the door covid will still be there, a mild flu for the majority of the vaccinated at the moment.The more times you are exposed the less symptoms, if you want that isolation i believe there is an amazonian tribe that has never and never can be exposed to other people as they would die from what are mere colds for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Some of the ISAG lads still think zero covid is a possibility 🤣🤣 Pure lunatics fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

oh there’s no doubt some don’t want this to end. Look at this little nugget, a reply to Luke O’Neil’s prediction of normality returning this year:

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Workplaces gonna be very interesting this week. Loads of places will not function with so many people isolating. Prepare for an absolute **** storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Yeah I'm worried that I'll have to do my job and someone else's due to isolation/positive antigen/symptoms etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Avon8

How are they actually still a thing? They became a laughing stock around April last year and a complete and utter embarrassment to the Irish race in late Summer. I assumed they'd disband and try to subtly regroup under a different name but no, they're still there plugging away in delusion. All that's left now is to find out which dangerous individual has been funding them from the get go, presumably to further their own ends

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Jammed in like sardines at the darts championship. No social distancing. No masks.

It's over people. Don't let them keep you locked up any longer. We are in a completely different place than we were in 2020 but some people want to keep playing the same old tune.

I'm pretty confident that we are nearing the end of the pandemic. Unfortunately, the next month will be the worst, we are literally looking at hospital staffing being at 30% within two weeks due to covid positive cases/ 7 day self isolation.

There is a huge chance that the next month will be the worst month in terms of excess deaths. Best case scenario if only 30% of hospital staff is available, we might be able to keep 50/60% of wards open.

This should only be short term 2-3 weeks plateau thankfully but that's looking at taking at best 3-4000 beds out of HSE hospitals in 10-14 days lasting 2-3 weeks.

My department currently has 30% of staff out at the moment so Christmas has been a **** show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

If we have excess deaths due to hospitals closing wards that will be on the heads of the government. Keeping healthy staff at home so that triple vaccinated patients aren’t exposed to a cold - if one person dies from lack of treatment as a result there should be a public inquiry and prison terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You appear to be proposing that infectious staff are sent into hospitals. That seems like a terrible idea.

A less terrible idea would have been for hospital staff to follow the Chief Medical Officer's advice and limit social contact over Christmas. But maybe that's unfair and they all acquired COVID on the job.

I know someone who is isolating with COVID right now who picked it up from a relative who works as an anesthesiologist. The whole family used antigen testing but it didn't pick up the positivity until after they'd all been infected.

One might conclude from that anecdote (and our incredible levels of infection generally) that relying on antigen testing is not a very effective infection control measure, despite how hard it has been pushed as a solution on this forum. People just risk compensate and have more social contact, overwhelming the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The fact that you even call it a cold proves to us all how clueless you are. You sound like some unemployed freak who goes out on those protests

In order for society to continue functioning, the entire country needs to adopt this same attitude.

We still COVID as a big bad disease but the vaccines and new variant have made it an extremely mild illness.

Time to move on. And we can only do that by allowing healthy people to get on with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not entirely clueless. Symptoms do range from none to very mild cold-like to full-blown symptoms, needing full medical intervention.

Healthy healthcare workers sitting at home watching Netflix while people can't get hospital treatment all under the illusion of "saving lives" is as dumb as things can get with this pandemic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Your plan is to send infectious people into hospital to care for the sick?

Advertisement